• 72 results
paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By paulmako

Whether justified or not, I'm trying to think of the video game that has garnered the most widespread hatred/anger among the wider gaming community.

Is it No Man's Sky? Is it Mass Effect 3? Is it the entire Call of Duty series which people often use as an insulting comparison? Especially Infinite Warfare and all the dislikes on that trailer. SimCity 2013? Resident Evil 6? Godus?

This doesn't necessarily mean that the game is are outright terrible. There's certainly stuff to like about Infinite Warfare and Mass Effect 3. It could also be a temporary but intense hatred like Diabolo 3 at launch. I'm just wondering which one would top the list.

These are all somewhat recent examples too where social media makes it more acute. I would be interested if any knows any older examples as well.

zack1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

the guy game

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

Yoshi's Island

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Man's Sky was complete bullshit

w00master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ET

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#6  Edited By Kidavenger

The most ragey I ever got about a game was Star Wars Galaxies, when I would go to a store I would actually make a point of hiding copies of SOE games that were for sale and I would talk shit about Sony to anyone that would listen. It's scary how deep I got into that game and then for them to completely pull the rug out on everyone was crazy.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

As much as I think it's the best game in the series, it seemed like the entire world hated Mass Effect 3 which even caused EA to 'win' the worst company of that year.

That being said, I feel fairly confident everyone can agree that at least some minority of the ME3 player base seems to really like it though and the game has sprouted too much in depth discussion to say it was that hated. It was more (very strong) disappointment than anything else. Whereas something like No Man's Sky is hated on top of being disappointing by pretty much everyone.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@werupenstein said:

The most ragey I ever got about a game was Star Wars Galaxies.

What did Star Wars Galaxies do? Was it widespread hatred? I don't know anything about it.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

@paulmako: They completely changed the game 2 years into it's life from a very ambitious sandbox MMO that was closer to Minecraft than an MMO; to a very poor WoW simulator with no story content.

Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Daikatana.

dudeglove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

LA Noire

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

To truly be the worstit has to be well know, have nearly zero redeeming value to the point of being broken.

Stuff like Superman 64, Daikatana, Custer Revenge, or Shaq-Fu are not well enough know. So, I think it has to be E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982).

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BrunoTheThird

Deservedly? Resident Evil 6. Some games are at least okay or mostly good, like ME3, but people exaggerate their flaws. No Man's Sky is a collection of half-truths but still has a handful of good aspects. Resi 6 is flaming trash on a pile of other piles of flaming trash on a trash planet that is also flaming. Not only that, people were embarrassed on its behalf, which adds another layer of 'kill me' to that thing.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

People seem to completely turn on Final Fantasy after 13.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By whitegreyblack

I think every generation has its own "public enemy number 1" so it's a moving target. I think it also depends whether you are talking about the sentiment of 'worst game/objectively bad game' or 'game with bad reputation/perception'.

Examples of worst games / objectively 'bad' games:

• ET
  • Superman 64
  • Big RIgs

Examples of games with bad reputation / perception (basically, games that simply did not live up to their hype... but are serviceable, or even pretty decent games):

• Mass Effect 3
  • Destiny
  • No Man's Sky
Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aliens Colonial Marines.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@whitegreyblack: I wasn't necessarily thinking of 'worst game'. There are probably tens of thousands of worse games than Mass Effect 3 that are just bad and people move on.

I guess that means it needed to be somewhat well known at the time. If only a thousand people really hate it then it probably doesn't top the list. Mass Effect 3 was something hundreds of thousands of people played.

diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I think the Godus (PC) saga was the longest-running outpouring of mass-hatred, so might be classed as the worst game in those terms.

Fezrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Totally unjustifiable, but probably Gone Home.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Pacman game for the 2600 was trash and still sold 7 million units (compared to 1.5 mil for ET). Huge hype, Atari said they had 3-4 million pre-orders, and spent $1.5 mil on advertising. Obviously, played a big role in the 80s games crash. People hated it so much they literally stopped buying all video games.

More recently, Infinite Warfare deserves mention as the trailer is the second most disliked YouTube video of all time, but this seems like small potatoes compared to 7 million copies of this fucking abomination:

Loading Video...

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I mean, there is a literal garbage pile consisting (at least mostly) of ET for the Atari. That would be my answer.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By whitegreyblack

@paulmako: That's cool - there are lots of examples for both a 'worst game' and 'most hated'. A challenge is that the 'most hated' category tends to have a lot more contention - there will always be someone who can chime in and say "bah, that game was fine and there wasn't really much hate for it" (whether or not it's true - sometimes it's down to perception or the circle of people you run with).

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Call of Duty. Any of them since Black Ops 1 have been vehemently hated by a huge number of people

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anything by Compile Hearts/Idea Factory.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Call of Duty as a whole just wins this by a mile. "Go back to CoD" is still an "insult" I see on a regular basis even when not talking about shooters. It's just something people say because apparently they look down on it that much.

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By forkboy

I'm really glad I didn't play Mass Effect 3 until most of the DLC was out because my perspective on that game is far more positive than most

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Man's Sky is probably the MOST hate I've seen piled on a game. There are certainly gonna be worse games that more people probably hate but the intensity of NMS stands out.

Avatar image for cursethesemetalhands
CurseTheseMetalHands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's almost certainly a Ubisoft game.

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fezrock: Gone Home itself wasn't awful (overpriced as all hell though), but the sheer fawning and preening over it by games journalists attempting to sound more socially aware than they actually are left a seriously bad taste in my mouth.

There are games that have LGBT themes that knock Gone Home out of the park. Persona 4 is probably the best example.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jerseyscum: Boy I love Persona 4 but that's a worrisome 'best example'.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The internet is fickle and stupid and I'd rather not try and get inside its collective mind and guess what its favorite thing to shit on is.

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jerseyscum

@efesell: I thought Kanji's journey into acceptance of himself was really cool and probably spoke to a lot of people.

Personal Most Recently Hated has to go to Beyond: Two Souls.

How. The. Fuck. Does. David. Cage. Keep. Getting. Work.

It's not only an awful game and story, but using sexual assault not once but twice as a goddamn hack way to increase tension and advance the plot is just creepy.

Do not get me started on the Africa sequence. Just don't. I might get my account banned.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#34  Edited By Trilogy

The thing about No Man's Sky, is that so much of the hatred was directed at Sean Murray, rather than the game itself. A veritable witch hunt. The whole thing got so out of line, weirdly personal, and super petulant. It just feels different to me than how it went with the other usual suspects. Even in the cases where EA got shit slung at them, a company is so much less personal than a...well, person.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By FacelessVixen

Well, I hate Project Sylpheed with a fury of a thousand suns, so that's my answer.

Personal Most Recently Hated has to go to Beyond: Two Souls.

How. The. Fuck. Does. David. Cage. Keep. Getting. Work.

It's not only an awful game and story, but using sexual assault not once but twice as a goddamn hack way to increase tension and advance the plot is just creepy.

Do not get me started on the Africa sequence. Just don't. I might get my account banned.

I could argue that Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy and Omikron are greater evils.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jerseyscum: I think it definitely makes it way there by the end but Kanjis arc has some rough starts.

burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bioshock: Infinite is a most hated target among my friends. I think I was the only person among them to enjoy it.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aleins colonial marines

No Man's Sky

the entire call of duty series

MankMachinery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dark Souls

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The two that immediately spring to mind is Mass Effect 3 and Resident Evil 6. I think both are criminally underrated.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know people who like RE6. I personally like ME3 & FFXIII. NMS is a decent indie game that was badly marketed and overpriced. I've yet to hear anyone defend THPS5.

That game is why we will never see another THPS or Skate game ever again. It probably isnt the most hated game, but it should be.

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The Legend of Zelda: 8.8

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Worst game ever" is probably a few hundred lines of QBASIC some high school student wrote in some software development class. Even something like "worst game value per dollar of RRP" is probably a shitfight among unthinkably terrible games that nobody's heard of that'd make the likes of E.T. and Superman 64 look like masterpieces. Consoles like the Atari 2600 and the original Playstation had huge libraries of shovelware that likely nobody ever so much as entertained the thought of reviewing, simply because dev and/or distribution costs were really low and it was easy to get in on the gold rush.

I say all of this in part because I don't recall there being any genuine, widespread hate for games like Superman 64. I mean, sure it seems to have sold well, but most of the buyers seem to have been idiot kids who thought the game was fine because they didn't have taste or understand that games could be bad. Everyone in the loop with games criticism just knew it was a stinker and gleefully mocked and avoided it, and there wasn't a huge gold rush on the N64 because cartridges were expensive and because of Nintendo's (in hindsight harebrained) "Dream Team" bid to lock up GPU microcode so that only the privileged "good" developers could have a fighting chance of making games for the system, so when Superman 64 came out and stunk so bad it kinda just stood out. I don't recall huge pitchfork mob movements expressing rage over this game.

The most hated game probably isn't a great game, but I don't think you can just point at well-known stinkers.

---

Anyway, I might be missing something from the previous console generation, but I don't think there's been a moment in history when hype could be drummed up to such a fever pitch, and then hate mobs could be organized around a unified banner and rhetoric so effectively and overwhelmingly, as happened for No Man's Sky. As far as I can tell the only event in gaming culture that's ever drawn a greater volume and intensity of ire is gamergate. It's just the first time that the tech and the social tools have come together, along with Sony's AAA marketing push for an indie game with a tiny dev team making huge and largely unvetted "promises". I don't think there's ever been anything like it, and with the kinds of mistakes that would have to be repeated by everybody involved in full knowledge of what happened to No Man's Sky in order to replicate it, I think the next time that something like this happens again could be a long way off.

Mind, I think the hate mobbing over this game has been wildly excessive and abhorrent. But maybe that's just further indication that this is the most hated game.

The Legend of Zelda: 8.8

Thing is, there's an army of younger Zelda fans for whom TP was their first Zelda game, or The Zelda Game I Played When I Was Twelve Years Old, and for them it was like what it was like for us playing OoT for the first time back in the day. As much as Jeff wants to believe that the hate mob for Eight Point Eight came around when they actually got to play the game, I think a lot of those people played it and loved it.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This pure anger has to count for something towards nominating ME3 right?

No Caption Provided

Resident Evil 6 gets kind of fun if you try to approach it like the weird hybrid of character action games/TPS it's trying to be. Doesn't excuse the myriad of poor design decisions, including boss fights with no discernible end point, cheap instakills, and doing the whole 'you thought this zombie was dead but it actually wasn't!' shtick at least 20 goddamn times (worst part is that you can't shoot them before the 'scare', making it feel like an incredibly cheap source of damage).

@jerseyscum: Beyond: Two Souls has a part where a character commits suicide to rejoin his ghost family and the game makes no attempts at all to explain why this was a bad thing to do. In fact, it seems to celebrate the decision. How Cage wasn't put on complete blast for this is beyond (heh) me.

@fezrock: I think a large part of the hatred for Gone Home was the critics giving it 9s and 10s for being an okay adventure game about a rebellious teen who discovers herself through punk rock, new hairstyles and a romantic relationship. I personally think it's alright, maybe an 8 at best, but there are still other good adventure games being churned out. Even in the realm of walking simulators I think there are better choices. I still really don't know why so many reviewers fell in love with it. Nostalgia perhaps?

Lv4Monk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Lv4Monk

Final Fantasy XIII was the internet's favorite punching bag for a good long while there. Bioware, SquareEnix, Capcom, Ubisoft, and EA are all at the top of the list for most people. Blizzard was right on the cusp until Overwatch appeased the nerds hungry for big things to knock down.

Projecting our societal ills onto large companies and joining internet mobs where you strengthen social bonds by tearing them down is modern life now. Hard to keep up with what's currently being trashed. You can't just hate games anymore, you have to hate the people and companies that produce them.

EDIT: Runner up is Mass Effect 3

isturbo1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By isturbo1984

The most hated game at any moment in time is usually the game that is coolest to hate. Take the most recent CoD for example... sells well every year, but ironically gets a lot of shittalk from pretty much everyone who hasn't played it, lol.

OceanEve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know it's most hated, but alot of people have really turned on Bioshock Infinite in the last couple of years. I still like it but that story was pretty convoluted in my opinion :p

Johnny_Sailor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman 64. It's a horrible game, but for those who actually bought it when it came out, and got ripped off it's especially hated.

tokit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#49  Edited By tokit

DOTA 2

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For it to be most hated, it'd actually have to be most hated. Mass Effect 3 isn't that. I love that game, and I think there are many others that see past the initial reaction to the ending. Another game I like, but I haven't actually seen many others minus a couple of reviewers actually like would be Resident Evil 6. Hard pressed to find someone that thinks it's anything but poor.