• 190 results
#1 Posted by GhostHamburger (158 posts) -

Buying a game and discovering you hate it, did it happen to you this year?

Personally, I bought Demigod when it was on sale on Steam, and really regretted it. I am a seasoned LoL player, and there is just no reason for me to play this steaming log of poo. I also bought Arma 2 and had a lot of trouble, mostly with bugs, and general unpleasantness with the control and AI. That's my experience anyway.

So, what's the WORST game you bought this year?

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
#2 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2748 posts) -

Rogue Galaxy is not great so far.

#3 Posted by Gizmo (5467 posts) -

Aliens VS Predator was just awful, really disappointing. Rebellion Games should be ashamed of themselves.

#4 Posted by DonChipotle (3387 posts) -

Call of Juarez: The Cartel

#5 Posted by mandude (2827 posts) -

Dragon Age 2. Goddamnit. I hate how that keeps coming up for me.

Ignoring that, From Dust, even though I actually enjoy it.

#6 Posted by RavioliSumo (2188 posts) -

Catherine

#7 Posted by MezZa (2676 posts) -

Brink, without a doubt

#8 Edited by Jeust (11739 posts) -

El Shaddai: The Ascension of the Metratron

It is great visually but very repetitive and monotonous.

#9 Posted by drag (1212 posts) -

I wouldn't say I hated it, but LA Noire was probably the worst game I bought this year.

I didn't buy that many games this year.

#10 Posted by Aronman789 (2737 posts) -

Alpha Protocol's checkpoint system felt like it was rubbing its dick on my face every time I died.

#11 Posted by Akeldama (4359 posts) -

Duke.

#12 Posted by Chemin (656 posts) -

Man, I don't know. Dead Space 2 perhaps. It's not bad, really, just way worse than the first.

I haven't played that many games this year at all, which is shocking to me.

Avatar image for the_atomic_dumpling
#13 Posted by atomic_dumpling (2536 posts) -

Painkiller Redemption during a steam sale. Just awful.

#14 Posted by GhostHamburger (158 posts) -

@Akeldama said:

Duke.

OH yeah, I forgot. Yeah, definitely THIS.

#15 Posted by Hector (3547 posts) -

Don't ask why this end up on my hands but... Transformers: Dark of the Moon.

#16 Posted by PokeIkzai (427 posts) -

I was lucky, I guess but Dragon Age 2 is the worst one I bought. I only say I'm lucky because while, IMO, Dragon Age 2 is not very good, this year has saw some real terrible to the table. I feel bad for anyone who bought Duke Nukem Forever.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
#17 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2928 posts) -
@Jeust: Just played that and I agree, it's like the Final Fantasy XIII of 3d beat em ups with all its incredibly narrow paths. Some of the least fun platforming I've ever experienced in a game and I also found the combat controls severely lacking.
#18 Posted by Klei (1798 posts) -

El Shaddai and MW3. 

El Shaddai was supposed to have a gorgeous art style, and I found it ugly, like a crack-addict's non-sensical dream. In the bad way. 

MW3 just reeks of wrong. It has a laundry list of stupid decisions and problems that makes it the weakest of them all. I've played it around 10 hours, 4 of them were the SP. Never touched it again.
#19 Posted by themangalist (1869 posts) -

Assassin's Creed Revelations. I played 30 minutes of it and found out I'm fucking sick of AC already.

#20 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (2357 posts) -

Brink, for sure. Man, what a massive disappointment that was. That game had just about every problem required to fuck up that specific type of multiplayer shooter.

#21 Posted by plaintomato (616 posts) -

FFXIII

As a a big fan of the series...up until then anyway...I was totally shocked at the lame ass gameplay.

#22 Posted by matoya (582 posts) -

Skyrim on the PS3. It's unplayable

#23 Posted by Patman99 (1650 posts) -

@OneKillWonder said:

Brink, for sure. Man, what a massive disappointment that was. That game had just about every problem required to fuck up that specific type of multiplayer shooter.

This. I had such high hopes for that game.

#24 Posted by Draugen (901 posts) -

X-Men: Destiny, hands down. It was my own fault though. It's not like I didn't know what to expect.

#25 Posted by Enns (401 posts) -

@drag said:

I wouldn't say I hated it, but LA Noire was probably the worst game I bought this year.

Pretty much the same thing for me.. although I did really hate any on foot chase sequence because every single person is a marathon running parkour master.

#26 Posted by skadave (284 posts) -

Deus Ex. . . couldn't play it for more than an hour (even after i put it on the easiest difficulty).

#27 Posted by smokeyd123 (361 posts) -

Probably Monster Hunter Tri. It's not that it's terrible, I just haven't really been interested in playing it, because it involves me plugging in my Wii.

#28 Posted by Hizang (9358 posts) -

Dunegon Siege III, what a pile of crap that is!

#29 Posted by AlexW00d (7479 posts) -

L.A. Noire easily.

#30 Posted by Dany (8018 posts) -

L.A Noire

#31 Posted by Ferros (245 posts) -

It's a toss up between Deadly Premonition and Rage. Deadly Premonition is super weird, the music and atmosphere are hilarious but the gameplay itself is absolutely 100% terrible. Rage wasn't terrible, it was just so disappointing, they had a great base to build off and did absolutely nothing interesting with it. I finished Rage in maybe two or three days and haven't played it since.

#32 Posted by Demoskinos (17325 posts) -

Ya know I really have to roll my eyes at al the Dragon Age II mentions. If that's the worst game you played all year then you did pretty good because DAII was a pretty fun game.

#33 Posted by Ramone (3080 posts) -

Worst that I played through all the way is Bionic Commando, worst that I gave up on is DA2

#34 Posted by ShaggE (8394 posts) -

I've been lucky this year, where even the worst games I've played (Duke) have given me some enjoyment. Nothing truly, irreparably awful to the point where I couldn't even bring myself to go on.

#35 Posted by JasonR86 (10178 posts) -

For some dumb-ass reason I decided to buy sonic adventure 2 for the Gamecube. I guess I was feeling nostalgic (and it was $5). And you know what? The game sucks.

#36 Posted by Andorski (5481 posts) -

Perfect Dark XBLA. I thought the nostalgia high would last longer than a few levels.

#37 Posted by ArbitraryWater (14686 posts) -

I paid money for Deus Ex Invisible War this year.

#38 Posted by Ubersmake (771 posts) -

Catherine. I bought it on sale, and it's a very mediocre game. That said, it was a very memorable game, and one I actually enjoyed. But there's no disguising the fact that the actual game part of Catherine was something to burn through to get to the more interesting, less frequent story stuff.

#39 Posted by Aetheldod (3914 posts) -

LA Noir ... what a load of crap that was

#40 Posted by Volgin13 (208 posts) -

Dead Island

#41 Posted by JoeyRavn (5218 posts) -

As much as I want to say that the worst game I've bought this year is E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy, that unplayable mess that made me lose faith in indie devs, I have to admit I didn't enjoy anything from Bastion. Such an overhyped game that falls flat in everything, if you ask me. The combat is boring and repetitive, the RPG "elements" are almost non-existent and the narration was particularly painful. I can't believe it's probably going to be Giant Bom's GOTY, or at least the GOTY of several of the Bomb Squad...

#42 Posted by Sauson (583 posts) -

Duke Nukem Forever.

I don't hate it but it's by no means a good game. I'm still glad I own though.

#43 Posted by Metric_Outlaw (1201 posts) -

dead island

#44 Posted by ConfusedOwl (1161 posts) -

Dungeon Siege 3 was really disappointing. I really wish I had to skipped out on that one. I'd also say Dragon Age 2. I can't say I hate it but it's pretty much inferior in every way compared to Origins.

#45 Posted by Daveyo520 (7747 posts) -

I did not buy many games this year so I guess it defaults to Dragon Age II.

#46 Posted by Slaker117 (4873 posts) -

LA Noire. It's not terrible, but it was a huge disappointment. I like so much of what that game wants to be, it's a shame it never accomplishes any of it.

#47 Posted by Animasta (14903 posts) -

@Ubersmake said:

Catherine. I bought it on sale, and it's a very mediocre game. That said, it was a very memorable game, and one I actually enjoyed. But there's no disguising the fact that the actual game part of Catherine was something to burn through to get to the more interesting, less frequent story stuff.

I enjoyed the gameplay, probably more than the story even

as for me... I bought records of agarest war for some reason and did not care for it

#48 Posted by Vexxan (4633 posts) -

This year I actually managed to not buy a game that disappointed me.

Yay?

#49 Posted by clumsyninja1 (851 posts) -

Too human, nothing else to say

#50 Posted by VisariLoyalist (3130 posts) -

hands down I'd have to say resistance 3. I trusted that the reviews that said it was an above average game would mean that I would enjoy it even though I have never played a past resistance game this assumption was incorrect.