What is your opinion on video games (such as Halo 3) in churches?

Avatar image for seanisstillathreat
#1 Posted by SeanIsStillAThreat (37 posts) -
#2 Posted by Coltonio7 (3214 posts) -

Dude, if I found a church like that I might just convert.

Avatar image for vash_the_stampede
#3 Posted by Vash_The_Stampede (275 posts) -

Dude, is that church even real?

#4 Posted by SeanIsStillAThreat (37 posts) -
Coltonio7 said:
"Dude, if I found a church like that I might just convert."

Well that seems like it is exactly the purpose of them having stuff like this. But I know that 99% of the time, kids would come in and play some games for around 45 minutes, then sit in the service with the arms crossed ignoring anything, then go back and play some games for 20 minutes.
#5 Posted by Fr0Br0 (3255 posts) -

It's a cheap trick to get more kids to attend the service. But since I don't go to service to begin with, I can't really complain.

#6 Edited by SeanIsStillAThreat (37 posts) -
Vash_The_Stampede said:
"Dude, is that church even real?"

This church also had a yearly "battle of the bands" with any bands that wanted to play, secular or not. So there were indeed mosh pits, and hardcore dancing in this church.
#7 Posted by Coltonio7 (3214 posts) -
SeanIsStillAThreat said:
"Vash_The_Stampede said:

This church also had a yearly "battle of the bands" with any bands that wanted to play, secular or not. So there were indeed mosh pits, and hardcore dancing in this church."
I'd like to see some grinding going on in a church XD
#8 Posted by brukaoru (5135 posts) -

Holy crap, what church is this?

I think it would be alright to have a gaming room instead of a toy room for kids. Problem is, teenagers would want to come in there too and it's supposed to be a room for the younger ones, right?

I also think it takes away the point of going to church, but it would probably get some people excited who otherwise wouldn't want to go. Is going to church for the "wrong" reason better or worse than not going at all? I would feel that it's about the same.

#9 Posted by Virago (2566 posts) -

Yeah, it just takes away the [pint of going to church; it's a spiritual place, not an arcade. 

#10 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6872 posts) -

That's the most retarded thing ever. How can we get the kids? VIDEO GAMES!

Didn't work with Bible Adventures, it won't work here.

#11 Posted by xruntime (1980 posts) -
Virago said:
"Yeah, it just takes away the [pint of going to church; it's a spiritual place, not an arcade. "

^^ this

And btw, no need to turn this into a religious debate, anyone.
#12 Posted by Ubergeist (473 posts) -

What the hell do video games have to do with church? I'm pretty sure they're just drawing in youth.

#13 Posted by Tearhead (2472 posts) -

Not related to the topic, but... dammit SeanIsStillAThreat's icon is my profile image... I feel so unoriginal... so dirty.

#14 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6872 posts) -
SeanIsStillAThreat said:
"Vash_The_Stampede said:

This church also had a yearly "battle of the bands" with any bands that wanted to play, secular or not. So there were indeed mosh pits, and hardcore dancing in this church."
Fuck dude, GET OUT OF THERE.
Avatar image for magnificentbastard
#15 Posted by magnificentbastard (47 posts) -

If there was a church like that near me I might actually go to it.

#16 Posted by Demyx (3251 posts) -
Virago said:
"Yeah, it just takes away the [pint of going to church; it's a spiritual place, not an arcade. "
yeah, you can't just go to church, you need to actually care, they might start to care, but I doubt it.
#17 Posted by AndrewGaspar (2561 posts) -

There was a random NES in a drawer in the Youth Room at my church... but that was it. =P

Personally, I don't agree with it. It's just a distraction from the purpose of the youth group, which involves both community, fun, AND worship, not one or the other.

#18 Posted by Jayge_ (10269 posts) -

I don't really care about Church or religion, but a video game room is just a waste of member's dues, in my opinion. A battle of the bands sounds fine though, I guess. It gets kids comfortable with being in/around the Church when they normally wouldn't be; but if you're going to sit there and say "NO SECULARISM WITHIN THE CHURCH GWRAWERASDAGWASF" that's just stupid.

#19 Posted by Kush (9089 posts) -

I am not religious at all, but having an arcade in a church is a joke. It takes away from the entire reason of church. Church is not a place where you just go and play games for an hour. It's supposed to be about worship and reflection, but they wouldn't care about anything I would say :P

#20 Posted by DXSSI (274 posts) -

If they're used as bait to lure people in who wouldn't otherwise bother, I would have as much respect for that church as I do for slimy used car salesmen—
they have obviously failed to prove their worth on their own merits, and resort to underhanded tactics to close the deal.

If they're there for fund raising purposes, I have no problem with it.  Everyone needs money; so do churches, so let 'em make their money.  As long as it's all done legally, of course.  I'm not religious but I have no qualms about attending local festivals sponsored by churches.

#21 Posted by SmugDarkLoser (5040 posts) -

Why not?  Kids like games, why not make it at a church?

It shouldn't be the draw to the church, but there's no reason you can't bring them in. 

It's just a youth get together as you said.  So what's the problem?  They can play ping pong but not Halo?  Why is that?

Do you go to a church called Burnt Hickory by any chance?  That sounds exactly like that place.  I don' go to  the church (im catholic) , but I use to a few years ago for a high school weekly get together thing.
In reality it was just a time to have fun in a christain environment.  Nothing more,  nothing less.

#22 Posted by normajean777 (473 posts) -

well the video games i dont agree with, but there is a heavy christian metal-core scene and hardcore scene. so i dont mind that there are bands playing that music but if they are cussing and non christian then no they shouldn't be aloud to play.

#23 Posted by Systech (4190 posts) -

Well, it says "Halo" right on the box!

#24 Posted by pause422 (6344 posts) -
xruntime said:
"Virago said:

^^ this

And btw, no need to turn this into a religious debate, anyone.
"
exactly. I'm not one to go to church anyway,but if you want to go just to play video games, just play them elsewhere honestly.