What is(are) your favorite story finale(s)?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Justin258

It can be games, shows, books, movies, plays, anything, but what is (are) your favorite climaxes and why?

This is inspired because I just finished watching Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, whose finale is fantastic. It has several well-laid plans from both the good guys and the bad guys come to fruition over the course of thirteen episodes (50-63, from the time the coup in Central starts until Father's demise) and then one epilogue episode that, while not really wrapping up truly necessary plot points, still serves as a great way to wind the plot down. I can't just watch this ending act one or two episodes at a time, it's something that I want to sit down and watch all at once, which I did this morning It just starts out so strong and then keeps building and building and building upon itself in epic happenings, and even carries a lot of character development with it. Perhaps I enjoy this show a little too much but it's so damn amazing and gives me so much joy at the end of it all.

So there's mine; what's yours?

Also, on a completely unrelated note, what is the plural of dénouement? I put an S up there but I'm not sure if that's right or not...

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

@believer258 said:

Also, on a completely unrelated note, what is the plural of dénouement? I put an S up there but I'm not sure if that's right or not...

It's a French word, so you pluralize it by taking a long drag of your cigarette.

Zenogiasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Zenogiasu

I always thought that Shadow of the Colossus had a great ending and larger finale sequence.

It's so terribly tragic: you trespass into a foreign land just so maybe you can bring back your loved one. That's if you can topple over a dozen giant golems. It's such a huge leap of faith, and you are getting noticeably weaker as you progress. But still, you press on.

After overcoming so much, and with only one monster left to fell, you watch your loyal companion and only friend topple to his doom. You now have absolutely nothing left to lose. You press on.

Against all odds, you manage to best the final behemoth. Finally: you have done it.

NOPE NOW YOU'RE A CORRUPTED MONSTROSITY

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mosespippy

@believer258: wiktionary says just add a S on at the end. It's not like it's Culs de Sac or anything weird.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Marcsman

GTA III. It had the perfect ending.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Do you actually mean "denouement", as what comes after the climax in a narrative or are you talking about the climax itself?

Either way, Persona 3 FES had an amazing ending. Everything that has happened in the game before is linked to it (Tartarus, Strega, Social Links...), the boss is one of the greatest bosses I've ever gone against (even if it was long, but that added to the theme it was going for) and everything that happens after the final battle is moving and also tragic.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Uncharted 3's ending is pretty great.

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By inkerman

Fight Club's ending (the ending ending, not the twist) was pretty good. Pandorum also had a great ending, but Goddam I hope there's a sequel.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By nightriff

Eternal Darkness after you beat it 3 times (FUCKING AMAZING), Max Payne, MGS 1 - 4, RE4 (Leon is such a player), Journey (only game a tear came to my eye while playing it), Darksiders was pretty awesome

vasta_narada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By vasta_narada

I've always been big on the endings to the three Boktai games. Spending the whole game as a lone man and his partner-flower-thing, then going up against literally immortal evils. Cue short motivational speech (another reason why I like it: the anime-type speeches aren't long, and they are fun to see), and somehow making it out alive.

Oh, and the great music playing during them.

SefaRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SefaRed

I love the last 10 minutes of Last of the Mohicans. That chase up the mountain path, the amazing music, Daniel Day Lewis with a musket in each hand clearing the way for Chingachgook. Stirring stuff!

ManU_Fan10ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By ManU_Fan10ne

the ending for portal 2 was good (and the plot twist completely surprised me).

i really liked GLaDOS by the final chapter, and i no longer saw her as a demented robot who wanted to kill me. that part where those laser bots show up after you "kill" Wheatley really scared me, and when they started playing the music, it made me laugh. i think this is probably one of my favorite endings.
FifiChiaPet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FifiChiaPet

I'm partial to the ending of Alice: Madness Returns. It's so twisted--I love it.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NTM

@MooseyMcMan said:

Uncharted 3's ending is pretty great.

That's good news, I haven't yet played it, so to hear it's good is nice.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By NTM

Oh, and I thought MGS4 did the ending pretty well. Oh wait, but we're talking about in general and not just games... hm. That's a hard question. Although I didn't fully enjoy the whole episode, I did still really like the ending to Miami Vice.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Justin258

@mosespippy said:

@believer258: wiktionary says just add a S on at the end. It's not like it's Culs de Sac or anything weird.

Ah, thanks. It just sounded weird with an s on the end.

@FluxWaveZ said:

Do you actually mean "denouement", as what comes after the climax in a narrative or are you talking about the climax itself?

Ooops - I was thinking that denoument=climax. My bad.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde has the best ending of any story I have ever seen.

FilipHolm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By FilipHolm

The Good, the Bad and The Ugly comesto mind. The perfect blend of Leones images and Morricones music is just mind-blowing.

JackLumber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By JackLumber

I'm gonna throw out some movies that have great final shots. The end as a whole is great for all of them, but these have particularly good moments immediately before cutting to credits:

Inglorious Bastards ("I think this just might be my masterpiece")

There Will Be Blood ("I'm finished!")

The Godfather Part 2 (just look at the tragedy all over Pacino's face as he contemplates what he's become. Brilliant performance)

Psycho ("She wouldn't hurt a fly!")

Kill Bill part 1 ("Tell me one thing, Sophie. Is she aware...that her daughter...is still alive?")

The Dark Knight

King Kong

Being John Malkovich

And video games with fantastic endings:

Portal 2

Any of the Half Life Games.

Wind Waker's final boss

Call of Duty 4

Mass Effect 3 (FUCK ALL YALL! I LOVED IT!)

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Metal Gear Solid 4. It's fucking exposition but it works appropriately.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By chrissedoff

To me, nothing tops the ending of Chinatown. It gets you so engrossed in this mystery that becomes more and more twisted as it gets slowly unravelled and then right at the end it end when you think it's all going to be resolved, you're faced with the reminder that things don't go how they're supposed to, people aren't equally subject to justice, and all you can really do about it is move on and not let the injustice in the world consume you.