What I've been playing (September)

mgsolid86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 40

Edited By mgsolid86

Now that my girlfriend is back at school, I've had a bunch of free time to finish some games that have been teetering atop my pile of shame for a while:

Borderlands (360): Finally wrapped up Borderlands with jimmah7 (co-op), but we still have a mountain of DLC ahead of us. I played through the PS3 version back in 2009 (and it became my #5 game of 2009), but I never really got into the DLC, so I'm looking forward to it. Can't wait for Borderlands 2!

Driver: San Francisco (360): I rented Driver: SF on a whim at Redbox for $2 and beat it in one day. That's not saying so much about the length of the game as it is how much I enjoyed it. The game is about 8 hours long, and I marathoned through just about the whole thing in one sitting. DSF mostly consists of taking over other vehicles (quantum leap-style) and completing objectives around San Francisco as the main character struggles through a coma. A crazy premise, sure, but it allows for a great variety of gameplay. I also have to mention that I love how the cars handle like they're all from a 70's cop show. Check it out if you feel like playing a driving game, but don't want to be bogged down by simulation handling or generic race types.

Bulletstorm (360): Bulletstorm is way better than I thought it would be. There's actually some really clever writing (and gameplay) buried under the constant swearing. It's a mix of Gears of War, 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand, and The Club, and like 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand it's surprisingly enjoyable start to finish. Developers, please make more games as colorful and vibrant as Bulletstorm!

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light (XBLA): Jimmah7 and I also finished playing through LC&tGoL during September. I think we both really enjoyed it and I can say that it's easily my favorite game featuring Lara Croft. It's a true co-op game that forces you to work together to complete levels. What a unique concept!

N.O.V.A (iPad): I heard N.O.V.A 2 was legitimately good, so I played through all of this generic Halo rip-off during lunch breaks at work. Not a terrible game, but nothing special. I probably should have skipped it and went straight into N.O.V.A. 2

Mirror's Edge (iPad): Fluid gameplay, intuitive controls and the wonderful, wonderful Mirror's Edge music. What more could I ask for?

Killzone 3 (PS3): Disappointing in comparison to Killzone 2, KZ3 is one hell of a roller-coaster ride, but I constantly found myself asking, "Why am I doing this?" Much like Bulletstorm, the typical answer to the question is "to get off of this planet" but I found myself wanting more of a story. Perhaps I'm expecting too much from a Killzone game, but I honestly enjoyed not only Killzone 2's gameplay, but also it's story. And yes, I still hate Rico.

Plants vs. Zombies (iPad): After starting it on the PC years ago, I always meant to go back but never did. Plants vs. Zombies is still great and I'm glad that I finally got a chance to check out all that PvZ has to offer.

Renegade Ops (XBLA): Apparently jimmah7 and I beat 3 co-op games during September! Renegade Ops is just shear fun. Calling in a fully-upgraded instant airstrike to wreak havoc on my poor enemies brings me great joy. Renegade Ops makes me want co-op Just Cause 3 badly (Renegade Ops and the Just Cause games are all made by Avalanche Studios).

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies (DS): After starting DQ9 in March, I finally grinded out some levels during lunch breaks and finished the game. I thought I'd be going back to play some of the side quests, but grinding levels usually ruins a game for me and wears me out, so I'll be shelving this for the time being.

Minecraft (PC): I've been dicking around in Mincraft for about 10 hours so far. I've mainly been mining cobblestone to make my castle. This game is clearly a game for crazy people, and I'd be smart to stop playing now. I don't really see that happening though.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution (360): It's taking forever to suck me into Deus Ex, but I'd really like to get through it before the rush of the holiday game season starts (if it hasn't already). Forza 4 is the next game I'll be purchasing, so that leaves me ... a week!

mgsolid86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By mgsolid86

Now that my girlfriend is back at school, I've had a bunch of free time to finish some games that have been teetering atop my pile of shame for a while:

Borderlands (360): Finally wrapped up Borderlands with jimmah7 (co-op), but we still have a mountain of DLC ahead of us. I played through the PS3 version back in 2009 (and it became my #5 game of 2009), but I never really got into the DLC, so I'm looking forward to it. Can't wait for Borderlands 2!

Driver: San Francisco (360): I rented Driver: SF on a whim at Redbox for $2 and beat it in one day. That's not saying so much about the length of the game as it is how much I enjoyed it. The game is about 8 hours long, and I marathoned through just about the whole thing in one sitting. DSF mostly consists of taking over other vehicles (quantum leap-style) and completing objectives around San Francisco as the main character struggles through a coma. A crazy premise, sure, but it allows for a great variety of gameplay. I also have to mention that I love how the cars handle like they're all from a 70's cop show. Check it out if you feel like playing a driving game, but don't want to be bogged down by simulation handling or generic race types.

Bulletstorm (360): Bulletstorm is way better than I thought it would be. There's actually some really clever writing (and gameplay) buried under the constant swearing. It's a mix of Gears of War, 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand, and The Club, and like 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand it's surprisingly enjoyable start to finish. Developers, please make more games as colorful and vibrant as Bulletstorm!

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light (XBLA): Jimmah7 and I also finished playing through LC&tGoL during September. I think we both really enjoyed it and I can say that it's easily my favorite game featuring Lara Croft. It's a true co-op game that forces you to work together to complete levels. What a unique concept!

N.O.V.A (iPad): I heard N.O.V.A 2 was legitimately good, so I played through all of this generic Halo rip-off during lunch breaks at work. Not a terrible game, but nothing special. I probably should have skipped it and went straight into N.O.V.A. 2

Mirror's Edge (iPad): Fluid gameplay, intuitive controls and the wonderful, wonderful Mirror's Edge music. What more could I ask for?

Killzone 3 (PS3): Disappointing in comparison to Killzone 2, KZ3 is one hell of a roller-coaster ride, but I constantly found myself asking, "Why am I doing this?" Much like Bulletstorm, the typical answer to the question is "to get off of this planet" but I found myself wanting more of a story. Perhaps I'm expecting too much from a Killzone game, but I honestly enjoyed not only Killzone 2's gameplay, but also it's story. And yes, I still hate Rico.

Plants vs. Zombies (iPad): After starting it on the PC years ago, I always meant to go back but never did. Plants vs. Zombies is still great and I'm glad that I finally got a chance to check out all that PvZ has to offer.

Renegade Ops (XBLA): Apparently jimmah7 and I beat 3 co-op games during September! Renegade Ops is just shear fun. Calling in a fully-upgraded instant airstrike to wreak havoc on my poor enemies brings me great joy. Renegade Ops makes me want co-op Just Cause 3 badly (Renegade Ops and the Just Cause games are all made by Avalanche Studios).

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies (DS): After starting DQ9 in March, I finally grinded out some levels during lunch breaks and finished the game. I thought I'd be going back to play some of the side quests, but grinding levels usually ruins a game for me and wears me out, so I'll be shelving this for the time being.

Minecraft (PC): I've been dicking around in Mincraft for about 10 hours so far. I've mainly been mining cobblestone to make my castle. This game is clearly a game for crazy people, and I'd be smart to stop playing now. I don't really see that happening though.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution (360): It's taking forever to suck me into Deus Ex, but I'd really like to get through it before the rush of the holiday game season starts (if it hasn't already). Forza 4 is the next game I'll be purchasing, so that leaves me ... a week!

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By iam3green

a lot of games there to beat. 

minecraft is awesome game if you creative and bored. i usually play it when i'm bored. i made a nice cubblestone castle and still adding on to it. it's a huge thing with different floors and things.

forza 4 is coming out. i hope it's a great game. i know 3 was good, i played that for a while, beat it.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By huntad

That is definitely a sizable chunk of games right there! Don't worry, I'm right there with you on your opinion of Killzone 3.

SLUSHiNaToR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By SLUSHiNaToR

I haven't played much of Bulletstorm but the demo, but what exactly makes it "awesome"? I think the price tag plus the bland sounding coop with a short single player turned me off from the game completely.

I agree, Minecraft is awesome. I have to play the newest update yet because 1.8 was so damn glitchy for me.. but it seems to be constantly adding more and more depth.

mgsolid86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mgsolid86
@iam3green Check out the Forza 4 demo! It went live yesterday and shows off a track from the Swiss Alps, I believe. There are 3 cars in the demo: A 1970 Mercury Cougar, a 2011 WRX STI, and a 2010 Ferrari 458 Italia. I played it last night and I'm ready to fall in love with Forza again (I put 104 hours into Forza 3, 1000/1000GS).
mgsolid86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mgsolid86
@huntad If you're wondering how I do it, I get by with roughly 5 hours of sleep, haha!
jimmah7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By jimmah7

We co-op it up!

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

I'm struggling with getting started in Deus Ex as well.  I had a test on
Monday for this damn college class I decided to take & got the game
over the weekend, so I was too distracted to get sucked into the game.
I'm hoping that will change this weekend.

Ironically, Deus Ex reminds me a bit of Alpha Protocol, just more..
"futurey" & I did complete Alpha Protocol, it wasn't that bad, though
I didn't get a good replay feel from it.  I hope Deus Ex will get me
motivated for a replay.

You know what I'd really have liked is if the damn Deus Ex was
a third person shooter instead.  I just don't like FPS in my RPG.
It should be optional but not mandatory.  This is why I love the
other RPGs from Bethesda & Bioware (& Obsidian).  Shit just
doesn't feel right in FPS mode.

mgsolid86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mgsolid86
@SLUSHiNaToR Like you, I also didn't want to pay top dollar for Bulletstorm, so I rented it through Gamefly. Bulletstorm keeps things fresh by consistantly introducing new enemies, new weapons to kill them with, and new ways to kill them (skillshots). Combining skillshots to rack up a high score is very satisfying and rewards you with skill points that you can use to upgrade your weapons. There are also hidden skillshots that you can perform if you get a little fancy with your kills. The game rewards ingenuity on the battlefield, like few games do. With the exception of one, I enjoyed messing around with each weapon. Check it out if you enjoy first-person shooters but are looking for something a bit more colorful, both visually and linguistically. I'd suggest renting it, but it's also available on Amazon for cheap now: $27/$23/$20 (360/PS3/PC).