What "Let's Play"ers do you guys watch?

• 54 results
muffinsaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I figured I'd ask the GB community as you guys already have the same penchant as me for genuine guys, shooting the shit, being witty, and actually talking about video games in-depth.

I find many YouTubers are just all copying the ones who got famous so there is this extreme saturation of people being over-the-top reactionary, commenting on every little thing that happens, and are just babbling constantly to fill the air time.

I'm hoping you guys can point me toward some duder-like LPs.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only watch a really small portion of their stuff, but Two Best Friends Play. The only playthroughs I have watched by them are their Resident Evil, David Cage and Silent Hill playthroughs. They're both pretty big RE fans, and one of them can just blitz through 2, so it's entertaining to hear them talk about the series and it's weird canon. Beyond that I'm not really into them enough to watch them play stuff they barely know and/or just aren't interesting games to be.

I can only hope to be as proficient at something one day as Mike Kob is at God Hand.

Loading Video...

AltonBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

slowbeef, ChipCheezum, Diabetus, PsychedelicEyeball.

Basically the old SA crew

DookieRope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoy some of the old school dudes from the LP glory days on Something Awful. Chip and Ironicus in particular. Their Metal Gear LPs are the best around. Chip has an encyclopedic knowledge of the Metal Gear universe and Ironicus does a great job asking questions as the audience surrogate.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I don't watch a lot of LP and if I do I search for a game I want to see rather than for a specific person. So it's usually not very known people, they only have between a few hundred to a few thousand views typically. The thing I care about the most is that the person doesn't have an annoying voice and speak clearly. I prefer female Let's Players because they usually have a softer voice but it is not always easy to find women playing a specific game.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't kept up with them much since Dan left GI but Game Informer's Replay and Super replay shows were pretty good. Specifically the Super Replays for Overblood, Overblood 2, Cyberia, Blue Stinger, Trapt, Ninja Gaiden and Illbleed

Boss_Kowbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

In straight "person that plays games from start to finish" terms, the only channels I subscribe to are Super Best Friends/Two Best Friends, Game Informer, Jesse Cox, and several PokeTubers (TheKingNappy, shadypenguinn, etc.). Mostly, however, I follow channels that do supercuts of their content, like Funhaus.

SubwayD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

These guys + TieTuesday.

Supplement them with some of the better guys in the City Builder scene like Flux and StrictToaster.

tartyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Retsuprae, Yahtzee and Gabe (now over) and Giant Bomb (endurance runs are really just let's plays)

Honestly, the rest of the Let's Play community are mostly rather off-putting. Hell, Yahtzee was off-putting at times.

That's just my opinion, though. I'm a geezer.

Lost_Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty much just Alchestbreach and even then I'm not the most up to date on his stuff. I first got into him for his Fallout mod videos he does (I'm sure he's gone to Fallout 4 now) and some of his other more weirder stuff. As a general rule unless it's a game I'm absolutely never going to play I wait to just play the game myself instead of watching others play through the whole thing.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

A couple of Board Game ones. Video games I don't really watch any though I have watched quill18 (who plays strategy games - CK2, Civ, Stellaris etc) a couple of times

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Geek Remix, Bowlingotter, Helloween4545 , watching Continue? play through Chrono Trigger.

EDIT: This is just what I watch, not trying to recommend anything. Well maybe you'd enjoy Helloween4545.

bill_mcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

World of Longplays (just gameplay, no commentary, no personalities)

FrozenFoxy

Hero

SplatterCatGaming

mgalchemist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Protonjon, another SA veteran I believe, doesn't put out of a ton of videos, but I've always enjoyed his brand of humor and commentary (he definitely subverts the typical loud obnoxious let's player attitude) especially since he has quite a penchant for breaking games, intentionally or not. He also has one of the best streaming formats out there in my opinion, where he usually has a random selection of games out of his backlog and then the chat votes on what game is played, often resulting in some pretty funny and stupid choices.

By extent, I also really like TheRunawayGuys, Jon's collaborative channel with two other well-known let's players (Chuggaaconroy [Emile] and NintendoCapriSun [Tim]). I'll admit I can see this one not clicking for people, especially since Emile's hyperactivity isn't everyone's cup of tea, but the three have really solid chemistry together and are usually really funny. My favorites of their stuff, which are almost all multiplayer games, would be most of their Mario Party series, their Wheel of Fortune videos (which they come back to every once in a while), and their incredibly long and still-going journey through Dokapon Kingdom (think something like Dragon Quest + Mario Party but somehow even more ridiculous and stupid).

Ydross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

richyhahn4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Protonjon, another SA veteran I believe, doesn't put out of a ton of videos, but I've always enjoyed his brand of humor and commentary (he definitely subverts the typical loud obnoxious let's player attitude) especially since he has quite a penchant for breaking games, intentionally or not. He also has one of the best streaming formats out there in my opinion, where he usually has a random selection of games out of his backlog and then the chat votes on what game is played, often resulting in some pretty funny and stupid choices.

By extent, I also really like TheRunawayGuys, Jon's collaborative channel with two other well-known let's players (Chuggaaconroy [Emile] and NintendoCapriSun [Tim]). I'll admit I can see this one not clicking for people, especially since Emile's hyperactivity isn't everyone's cup of tea, but the three have really solid chemistry together and are usually really funny. My favorites of their stuff, which are almost all multiplayer games, would be most of their Mario Party series, their Wheel of Fortune videos (which they come back to every once in a while), and their incredibly long and still-going journey through Dokapon Kingdom (think something like Dragon Quest + Mario Party but somehow even more ridiculous and stupid).

Yeah I watch those guys when I'm on a Nintendo game watching mood, anyone that likes watching the GB crew suffer through Mario Party might enjoy them, they do the same thing with rotating guests and they "like" (I don't fucking get it) those games, also Emile is some Pokemon prodigy

I've been watching alot of Arumba lately, plays a lot of grand strategy stuff but has very quick mouse and keyboard motions,

GameGrumps are good for positive energy

Oh and the Game Informer "Super Replays / Chronicles" stuff are just lets plays, alot of Dan and some Jason in there if you haven't been to that channel

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

I watch Two Best Friends Play. I really like their stuff. Currently they are LPing Nier.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Giantbomb.

I once watched a few videos from a guy who went by something like RydarGames, he had a goofy Chicago or Brooklyn type accent with a bit of a lisp and was pretty down to Earth, and like Austin he had a refreshing black nerd perspective. He was a bit dense though so I didn't stick with it.

Otherwise, I can't say I see the appeal of any let's play videos I've seen. I have no history with the people playing the games and their senses of humor are generally either simplistic or flat out terrible. The thing I appreciate most about the GB guys is that they all come from a critic's background (besides the video staff obviously) and so they still have the impulse from time to time to be level-headed about things. A lot of the let's play stuff I've seen is constantly waffling between something being either the greatest or worst thing ever with little in between. It's unsettling.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Pretty much just Super Best Friends currently. I can't go back to Solo LPs anymore.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#20 alistercat  Online

Yogscast have a lot of channels so there's always something to watch. I like Videogamesawesome but I like it less and less these days. Jesse Cox can be fun.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't been able to consume any of his content in a while due to time, but I've always liked Northernlion. Funny, kinda down to earth, not afraid to just screw up on camera, and doesn't feel scripted or forced. He also has a stupid high amount of hour in Binding of Isaac, and since that's one of the best games ever, it's pretty rad

FloppySnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've watched Joost a few times out of interest, but nothing else really. Only people I watch are GiantBomb.

Rave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I bounce around series to series I don't think I've ever watched a full run of lets plays. That said I do like:

quill18 for strategy games he is always really informed and interesting to watch.

Saigancat because I love dragon quest and that's basically all he does, and he seems really down to earth. He's really informed on that series I've learned a lot about it watching him.

Sips from yogcast I believe he is really funny and pretty dry. He also doesn't seem to react to things in an overblown way. Just a funny commentary well playing.

GetDaved is also really good and runs a wide gammet of games, a lot of retro Nintendo type stuff. Also really down to earth and easy to watch as the background noise while gaming.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I watch superbestfriendsplay occasionally.

Other than that the only LPer I watch at all anymore is Helloween4545. He does mostly horror games, but isn`t screamy like most youtubers (he pretty much never gets scared) and he doesen`t do the typical Twitch horror games like Five nights at freddy`s, but instead Resident evil, Fatal frame and those kinds of games and the occasional weird one like Cryostasis. He has also done LPs of some non horror stuff like Nier and the Souls games. He is calm, down to earth, funny and just generally pleseant to listen to.

ratamero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chip and Ironicus are alright, GeopLP is pretty great, other than that it's really hard to find anything even close to being acceptable

azulot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Outside of Giant Bomb, I really just watch Day9's stuff (his Day Off or Mostly Walking videos typically) every now and then.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love Super Best Friends Play. Been watching them for years.

Also Vinny from Vinesauce. Technically falls more in line with the term "streamer" but he streams full LPs so that counts, yeah? I HIGHLY recommend Vinny. Here's just a taste of his hilarity.

Loading Video...

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I don't watch many LPs, but at the moment my go-to are Men Drinkin' Coffee. They tend to play games of borderline quality and don't treat the material too seriously, though they aren't quite as funny as they think they are.

CcFfBb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have watched HCBailly's channel sometimes when I'm wanting to watch a JRPG. I've enjoyed his LP's on Final Fantasy XII and XIII over the years. The other LP'er that I've watched more of is TetraNinja. His videos are more about the most current games so if I want to see some of that footage I'll tune in.

badsmalltalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

If you like Monster Factory, which you should, there's a playlist on YouTube of all the "Gameplay Overview"s (Polygon's 'Quick Looks') that include Griffin and Justin McElroy.

The_Tribunal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Run Button and Streamfriends (back when it was still active). Recently I've gotten into Polygon because of Griffin's appearance on the E3 Live Show.

lKennedyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why, Run Button of course.

sikdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By sikdude

James & Mike Mondays (if that counts)

GI's Replay series

occasionally Game Grumps

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#34 fisk0  Moderator

Yup, same here, though I'd add the Freelance Astronauts and LithuanianDad to that list, though I'm not sure if either of them are still active.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@magmamud said:

Geek Remix, Bowlingotter, Helloween4545 , watching Continue? play through Chrono Trigger.

EDIT: This is just what I watch, not trying to recommend anything. Well maybe you'd enjoy Helloween4545.

I really never thought I would see someone else mention Helloween4545.

Love Super Best Friends Play. Been watching them for years.

Also Vinny from Vinesauce. Technically falls more in line with the term "streamer" but he streams full LPs so that counts, yeah? I HIGHLY recommend Vinny. Here's just a taste of his hilarity.

Loading Video...

Thanks for the recommendation his Corruption videos got me to sub.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I don't watch a ton of LPs, but I'm a fan of Kikoskia and Run Button's Sonic Series LP.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Slowbeef, DSP (through the Let's Endures because I can't imagine erm ... 'appreciating' that over a full stream. LobosJr, although its kinda hard to watch that guy now that Souls is all said and done. I mean, he's good at games in general but I watch his Dark Souls stuff to be taken aback.

Oh, Game Informer and Game Grumps. Although I'm taking the latter in for the comedy or whatever, rather than the games.

dourin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@evilsbane: I am so happy to see Helloween4545 mentioned in this thread. I've been watching the guy since around 2008. Weird to see it pop up here, as I recently was just recommending him on the podcast I'm on.

Kaivyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fisk0 said:
@altonbrown said:

Yup, same here, though I'd add the Freelance Astronauts and LithuanianDad to that list, though I'm not sure if either of them are still active.

The Astronauts haven't done anything for quite some time, unfortunately.

SA has my favorite LPers, but most of them stopped doing it.
By far my favorites were the Tipping 40s (who also did a great Podcast), pokecapn and the posse (THE Sonic 2006 LP), Porklift & Wateyad and if you are ok with screenshot LPs, The Dark Id is the best. (DRAKENGARD!)

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Shindig

Yeah, I was looking at MaxwellAdam's channel and it's a ghost town. We'll always have the Mass Effect playthrough, I guess.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By FrostyRyan

@evilsbane: No problem. Watch the worlds exploration and active worlds videos for some trippy/creepy stuff.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#42  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

ChipCheezum's stuff is generally pretty good, probably the best mix of informative and comedic you'll find. Pretty much anything they've done is still great, though I'd skip past their very first two LPs Beyond Good & Evil and Spider-Man.

Run Button (who Austin is friends with and would often reference) did an LP of the entire Sonic series and are currently doing one for the entire Mario series and both of those are great. They sometimes get too podcasty for my tastes but they're generally pretty entertaining and funny.

Slowbeef does streams and Retsupurae a lot more than actual LPs these days but his LPs of Dead to Rights and Snatcher are some of my favorites, Diabetus who does co-commentary on them is especially funny. Retsupurae is also pretty good but doesn't sound like quite what you're looking for.

I still keep up with Kuvo, formerly of the Tipping Forties but now mostly collaborating with other SA LPers, though he still does LPs and streams with one of the former T40s sometimes. Both the stuff he did with Tipping Forties and the LPs he does now are largely comedic LPs, and quite often blind runs so don't expect him/them to always know where to go. My favorites of the T40s LPs are Final Fantasy X (my favorite LP ever!), Goldeneye and Shenmue. He later did Shenmue 2 with his brother and one of the other former T40s, and his current LP of Spelunky is pretty great.

The Freelance Astronauts were hilarious but haven't been active in years sadly, the funniest guys on the internet in my opinion back in their heyday of 2007-2010. They're at their best when both Ferr and Pipes were around, so quality is gonna fluctuate a bit based on who's in the video. I love their LPs of New Super Mario Bros, Ocarina of Time Master Quest, Seaman and Pepsiman.

I don't watch many LPs, but at the moment my go-to are Men Drinkin' Coffee. They tend to play games of borderline quality and don't treat the material too seriously, though they aren't quite as funny as they think they are.

With the right game the Men Drinkin' Coffee can be pretty great. Their Ride to Hell and Raven's Cry LPs are pretty hilarious all the way through. The FFX-2 LP isn't really grabbing me though.

ninjalegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really. I'd rather just play the game myself. It has to be a really dense game for me to really watch any of it rather than just to see if I am interested in the game or not.

That said I do watch some on the Souls series as you can miss entire chunks of the game and there are so many secrets. Epic Name Bro does some nice lore rich videos as he has helped write a guide on DS2.

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty much these folks, plus VoidBurger. I just can't take LPers that either mumble like Jeff playing GalGun or scream like they're an 80's radio jock.

pickassoreborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#45  Edited By pickassoreborn

Huge fan of the Birgirpall chaps. The Star Trek stuff is what got me hooked -

Loading Video...

They have live stuff here - https://www.twitch.tv/birgirpall

Also reeaaally like the Pre Rec gang from RedLetterMedia. They post their Twitch streams on their YouTube channel but they also play some games that you wouldn't normally see like - Police Quest 2!

Also impressive set up (though not really) with their recent Pokemon Go stream -

Loading Video...

Think I like the streams where the other members of RedLetterMedia get involved in the chat too.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ec1020ef4eb
deactivated-57ec1020ef4eb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty much the only let's player I watch regularly is OverTheGun. He's been on youtube since pretty much the beginning, but his channel is still pretty small. He mostly does blind let's plays with very minimal editing (which usually sucks, but I think he makes it work). Some of his older videos (from like 2007) aren't very good, but I really enjoyed watching all his videos from around 2008 onwards. He's done a pretty wide variety of games over the years, but my favorites are probably Super Castlevania IV, Super Metroid (he somehow manages to go backwards through Maridia without the gravity suit), and F.E.A.R. He's also been posting videos more recently lately and has done playthoughs of the new Doom on Nightmare mode, and Dark Souls III.

LackLuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Only ones that actually entertain me are Game Grumps and Markiplier

grandCurator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SuperBestFriends, Joel from Vinesauce, Vinny from Vinesauce, Diabetus, slowbeef, and on rare occasion Floejisan for such marvels as his FF7 FGC playthrough.