What major title would you most like to see from Nintendo this year?

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#1 FinalDasa  Moderator

Nintendo had a rough go of development throughout 2020. President of Nintendo of America, Doug Bowser, told Polygon that Pikmin 3 Deluxe is a title that was released to help fill the development release gap that the pandemic had brought. It was probably an "easier" title to port over than something new they're working on.

So assuming 2021 finds some form of normalcy (whatever that is) or at the very least a new normal for Nintendo, what games would you most expect or like to see out of them this year?

No Caption Provided

Personally, I would've guessed a new Pokemon. Pokemon Snap makes me wonder if that's their stop-gap for Pokemon, but we haven't seen more than a year gap between major Pokemon titles and I can't imagine Nintendo wants to break that patterns.

And maybe we finally get a new Mario Kart or perhaps BOTW 2. Metroid and Bayonetta just seem too quiet to be this year's games but hey, who knows anymore?

So what do you want, what do you expect?

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I want BOTW 2 (and some other Zelda ports including the Wii U remasters) and I think there's a decent chance of getting BOTW 2 and a near certainty of some major Zelda project.

I'd also like N64 and Gamecube support for Nintendo Switch online but I find that very unlikely.

In terms of what I think they'll do, I think major paid DLC for Animal Crossing is extremely likely. That game is a massive hit and they've done DLC for Animal Crossing in the past. I expect some kind of Zelda anniversary collection. I am not as confident on Pokemon. It's possible, but Sword and Shield are still selling. If something does come it will be a remake.

I also wish Xenoblade Chronicles X was coming over but I think that's pretty unlikely for this year. It may happen eventually but not for a while yet.

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Every time I remember that Samus Returns is not on the Switch, I die a little inside. Gimme that, and throw in Fusion and Zero Mission while you're at it.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Mario Golf. Or something completely new.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Two obvious answers: Metroid Prime 4 and Bayonetta 3. I want to know they're being worked on and going in a releasable direction.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig: Seeing a lot of references to Metroid but nobody holding out hope for Metroid Prime Trilogy HD.

It's Nintendo so we'll probably just end up getting Other M HD or Federation Force HD.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

New Animal Crossing.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New IP

noboners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By noboners

I'd like an announcement for a new 3D Mario. I don't expect a full game this year, but let me know Mario Galaxy 3 is coming or something.

I know they're rereleasing 3d world w/ Bowser's Fury, but I just 100%'d that with my partner during quarantine (obviously excluding the add-on, but initial reports make that seem more like a proof of concept as opposed to a full fledged game).

As for releases, Mario Kart content would be great. As someone that did own a wii u, I've been playing Mario Kart 8 for close to 7 years. Yeah I still play it a few times a month, but I would really like a whole new chunk of courses to master.

Edit: also, for the love of God, gimme a mario party update. Those boards were just so boring. I thought the mini games were great this go around.... But only find two of the boards worth actually playing...)

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

Breath of the Wild 2. I'd love to see Nintendo trying out a new IP, but in terms of their established titles BOTW 2 is miles ahead of all others.

permanentsigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Metroid. It's always Metroid for me.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Definitely F-Zero!

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By BisonHero

I'd like to see them make another actually new Mario Kart. I bought Mario Kart 8 on the Wii U, and it's absolutely great and I played it for probably like a hundred hours, but my appetite to rebuy the exact same game with like 2 new characters just wasn't there on the Switch.

With Splatoon, we got Splatoon 2 (which is kinda the same game with only a few additions). With Mario Maker, we got Mario Maker 2 (which is kinda the same game with only a few additions). I wish Nintendo would've fired off a quick Mario Kart 9 with new courses that was like a new-and-improved Mario Kart 8, instead of just doing Mario Kart 8 Deluxe which is 99% a port. I just can't convince myself to want to buy or play that game, but there's a Mario Kart-shaped hole in my heart.

Other than that, obviously the big Zelda: BotW 2 and Bayonetta 3 and Metroid Prime 4 have been vaguely announced and lingering for years, so surely one of those should ship in the next 18 months, but with covid, who knows.

I also just really miss the small, weird downloadable games that the 3DS used to get, and I wish the Switch would get more of. Like a Pushmo (RIP Pushmo) or a Boxboy! (Boxboy is alive and well on the Switch). For example, Pocket Card Jockey is a FUCKING GREAT speed solitaire permadeath horsebreeding/horseracing game, and I just don't know where those weird ideas are on the Switch eShop. The eShop is just awash with stuff from garbage devs that they're trying to sell for $0.99 to idiots. Or great ports of indie games like Cuphead or Hollow Knight that aren't quite the weird, small idea I'm talking about. Good Job! is maybe the closest thing I can think of to that.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By monkeyking1969

@onemanarmyy said:

Mario Golf. Or something completely new.

Yeah, a golf game would be nice. Then again I woudl like their to be a bit edgy about they style....

Like not just the typically cartoon 2020 looking Mario, Luguge, Peach, and Toad. But rather a more realistic 1950s illustration stylized look. So not "super deformed" characters, but rather a more flowing stylized look for all the characters, like Bowzer looks like a liazrd-man in snazzy "Bing Crosby" golf attire.

No Caption Provided

Just something INTERESTING and different than they typically Mario/Nintendo games. A more lively aesthetic so the whole game with a themes 1950s/1960s Rat Pack look would be wild take for the Mushroom Kingdom.

shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A long awaited Pro Wrestling sequel. A new Punch Out! Metroid Prime Trilogy IF they offer multiple control schemes. A new Pilotwings would be dope. Wave Race too. Bring back yer dormant properties, Nintendo!

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeyking1969: I have never wanted anything more in my life than the thing you have just described.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WWF No Mercy HD remake, but featuring Carlito

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Bayonetta 3 and then I would like them to announce that it will also come out for next gen platforms, you know, to generate more profit!

pmichaelb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want anything that’s not a port at this point, thankfully their running out of ports. On the software side of things the Switch feels like it’s been in “make up for Wii U loses mode.”

So a simple new experience would be nice to see.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By cikame

It'd be cool if they re-released some of the 3D Mario games, maybe update them a bit, give them widescreen, make them accessible to people on the current platform.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want anything that’s not a port at this point, thankfully their running out of ports. On the software side of things the Switch feels like it’s been in “make up for Wii U loses mode.”

So a simple new experience would be nice to see.

I have to wonder if nearly all of Nintendo's first-party Wii U software were either losses, or very modest profits, and they just feel obligated to rerelease every single one of them since they're well made games that hardly anyone played due to no public belief in the Wii U platform.

Fluidk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dislike the Stockholm Syndrome gamers have developed where everyone basically just wants the same 20 franchises in year;y installments.

Personally I want NIntendo to make The Switch Game. I want them to make that game that takes advantage of the switch and justifies its existence. I feel like NIntendo hasn’t done that yet and hasn’t done a great job of it since Wii sports.

They used to do it all the time. Pilotwings and Fzero were games that demonstrated why you needed a Snes and why you needed a SNES controller. Mario 64 and Waverace showed why you needed an N64 and an analog stick.

I want that game, whatever it is, for switch.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Not expecting much this year. More SNES rereleases would be cool. Dream game, maybe a rerelease/remake of Thousand Year Door?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Bayonetta 3 and BOTW 2 launching with the Super Switch.

noobsauce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By noobsauce

Idk. Nintendo has been really slacking and riding good will too long. BotW is truly the only game that feels like the "next" step for any of their franchises (seems like Fire Emblem and Luigi's mansion did as well but never played the new ones). Pokemon is coasting off of success and appealing to too hardcore an audience (Snap coming back is a welcome addition though), Mario is fine but hasn't really done much to go above and beyond, metroid (believe it when I see it)+ star fox + Earthbound + FZero are MIA (or KIA), Yoshi and Kirby are mediocre at best, DK is still trying to find a way to exist in a world without Rare making them, Wario and (lol) Waluigi don't get games now (or ever), ect.

Nintendo is a company that only can do what it does because it is the backbone of gaming history at this point. But I've yet to be really impressed from what they offer on the Switch as a whole.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

N64 and GameCube games as a part of Switch Online.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What I really want to see is something brand new from Nintendo - something totally unique. I'd love big-budget action adventure that's a brand new IP.

In terms of existing franchises... obviously BOTW2. Crossing my fingers for this fall. Metroid, but that's going to be a while. For more pipe dreams... Wave Race and F-Zero. A new 3D Donkey Kong platformer would be amazing.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fluidk said:

I dislike the Stockholm Syndrome gamers have developed where everyone basically just wants the same 20 franchises in year;y installments.

Personally I want NIntendo to make The Switch Game. I want them to make that game that takes advantage of the switch and justifies its existence. I feel like NIntendo hasn’t done that yet and hasn’t done a great job of it since Wii sports.

They used to do it all the time. Pilotwings and Fzero were games that demonstrated why you needed a Snes and why you needed a SNES controller. Mario 64 and Waverace showed why you needed an N64 and an analog stick.

I want that game, whatever it is, for switch.

The Switch's gimmick doesn't need to be justified by specific software designed around it. The Switch's whole appeal is that it's a console and a handheld. It's very nature justifies its existence. This isn't a Wii or Wii U situation where it has a weird controller that needs specific games to show what it can do. The Switch has a very obvious and broad appeal, you don't a specific game to convey the idea that being able to play your games at home or on the go with the same system is pretty cool.

asylumrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bayonetta and Metroid are the two franchises of theirs that I'm itching for, but I don't think either of those are coming anytime soon.

I'm reservedly curious about Breath of the Wild 2, because I think BotW1 is a very interesting set of mechanics attached to an absolutely nothing video game, so if they take that framework and flesh out the content a bit more I'd be very interested, but if they're like "here's 300 more Shrines!" I'm absolutely out

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nintendo is Nintendo for good or ill, but to act like they don't try new things is crazy. Or even new IP. For the size of them as a developer it is kind of crazy that things like Arms exists.

Anyway, as far as the original question it is BOTW2, mostly because I am curious how they will build upon a game that so engaged me. Even if they don't I'm curious.

Sargon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Sargon

Another Punch-Out is long overdue, and that tops my list. Outside of that, I still want to see a return to Star Tropics! I doubt it will ever happen at this point, but I would love to see them do something with it.

Alias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Metroid Prime Trilogy Remastered

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Changing my answer to a Cubivore sequel.

cornfed40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes HD

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Nintendo, the time has come to enter the adventure genre with a brand new cast of Nintendo characters.