What one game from the current gen do you wish everyone would give a chance to?

• 51 results
liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

I really wish everyone would give The Last Guardian a try. Ppl talk about how great Shadow of the Colossus is but it seems like a lot of folks passed on TLG because the response was tepid and the reviews weren't glowing. I feel like if you go into TLG ready to buy into the virtual pet aspect of the game, a lot of ppl will fall in love with Trico and the game. Trico is a towering achievement and Team Ico/genDESIGN delivered by far it's most powerful story with TLG.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Tales from the Borderlands, though it’s too little, too late to save those characters.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

I enjoyed both of those games quite a bit.

For me it's Titanfall 2. It got great reviews but nobody seemed to play it.

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Nioh. If one were to compare the souls games to a partner that reciprocates with you and challenges you mentally and physically, a relationship where you get what you put into it. Nioh would be the summer fling that spoils you and indulges your every whim. The games gives you so many options and mechanics to exploit so much of it would feel like cheating in a souls game.

I can't wait to see what they do with the sequel.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By nutter

@sparky_buzzsaw: Tales from the Borderlands is maybe the best game Telltale made. It’s true to Borderlands, but it’s also very much its own game...and it’s great!

If people aren’t going to play it, though should at least watch the opening credits of each episode. They do the Borderlands opening credits thing perfectly.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pfft....I’m going to honor OP’s wishes and only state one game...

Alien Isolation

There were a bunch of runners up, but that’s probably the best Alien game I’ve played...that Obsidian one sounded really cool, but it never came to be...

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hellblade.

The story, setting and music are all fantastic and worth experiencing. I remember some people not really digging the combat or some of the puzzles but I think the game is worth it despite that. Though I personally found the combat pretty enjoyable and didn't really have a ton of issues with the puzzles. Also, @nutter, great choice! I should get back and finish that.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pezen: Hellblade was on my shortlist. Fantastic game.

Alien Isolation was just too long. But it’s worth it to play for the 8-10 hours that it’s amazing.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FrodoBaggins

@sparky_buzzsaw: hell Yes! Easily the best Tales game, and I loved TWD. Tales From The Borderlands is just so good, the characters, the story, the music awww man what a game.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By ShaggE

Rec Room. The best support I've ever seen for a F2P game, and it's just a REALLY good package overall. Anybody who has VR and isn't playing Rec Room, you're missing out. Also the most fun I've had in a Battle Royale mode, despite it being a fairly limited and janky take on the genre (thus far... I'm sure they'll expand it eventually).

The only downside is that it's a F2P multiplayer game, and, well, that brings... let's say a wide variety of people.

@sparky_buzzsaw said:

Tales from the Borderlands, though it’s too little, too late to save those characters.

That game actually made me give a shit about Borderlands lore, which was no small feat given how little I cared about the story in those games previously. Telltale absolutely knocked it out of the park there.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pezen: glad to see someone that shares my thoughts on this, I found Hellblade to be a thoughtful and haunting experience and I'll remember it for years to come. Also thought Observer was pretty special, but that did stumble in some areas

cerberus3dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A Yakuza game. I'd probably choose Yakuza 0. It can be any one really. I just want people to give a Yakuza game a chance. I'm overjoyed that it seems the media have begun to recognize these games since 0 came out. They are incredibly iterative games and all basically use the same map, and yet I keep wanting to come back and play the next one. I love the melodrama, the machismo, and the heart they put into their wild stories.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Ah geez, just one?

Play Bound! It's so chill.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cerberus3dog: Yakuza 0 and Nier Automata were on my shortlist. I’m curious what kind of numbers they did...if I had to guess...Yakuza’s better off than Nier.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nutter said:

@cerberus3dog: Yakuza 0 and Nier Automata were on my shortlist. I’m curious what kind of numbers they did...if I had to guess...Yakuza’s better off than Nier.

You mean in terms of sales? I'm pretty certain Automata sold more than any individual Yakuza game. (At least in a comparative timeframe.) It was quite successful. I wouldn't be surprised if Yakuza was more profitable overall though, given the series development cycle.

BoboBones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BoboBones

The first two that came to mind were Hohokum, and Everything, but @merxworx01: might have hit the nail on the head with Nioh.

The Kusarigama might be my all time favorite weapon. It lacks the atmosphere of the Souls games, but the combat is absolutely unreal.

TSchwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yakuza. And well, not that much of a current gen, but RF Online too!

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik: If that means that both franchises are healthy, that’s fantastic.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would have said Yakuza since I spent many years doing this exactly dance of please pay attention to these great games so that they know to release them over here.

But since that has kind of happened, I really like Tales from The Borderlands above because it's a really unlikely series to be as good as it is.

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BrunoTheThird

Great shouts. Every specific game mentioned here gets full marks from me. I'm replaying Nioh on PC with all the DLC and it's like I never stopped -- the mechanics are second nature to me, even after a couple years of absence. The living weapons and guardian spirits are one of my favourite aspects of a game period.

ICO and Shadow resonated with me more, personally, but The Last Guardian was just beautifully done. Well worth the wait and my time.

-

My pick is Subnautica. I've never had my endurance, courage, and curiosity consistently stretched like that game does. In some ways it's the most terrifying and intriguing experience I've had in a decade, and the story unravels in such a satisfying way. Lots of genuine holy shit moments and crippling fear of diving deeper and deeper... It's not just about surviving in an alien ocean, though,-- which still would've been dope -- you have tangible, realistic goals to challenge your character and eventually escape this hell planet. It's not an endless cycle of arbitrary mechanics that only exist to make you play it more, every upgrade has a very important role in your survival and the goal ahead. Nothing about it feels tacked on or for the heck of it. I think it's the best survival game ever.

hansberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By hansberg

I may need to put more thought into this. This title mostly comes to mind because I'm on an exploration platformer kick lately, and I just finished it two days ago.

Headlander. I won't claim that Headlander is a spectacular game, because it isn't. I won't claim that it does anything so new and fascinating that it should serve as a sterling example to those that come after, because it doesn't. What it does well, though, is the setting and tone, maintaining a sense of fun throughout. Too often games that take place in space are serious and gloomy unless they are specifically built around exploring space. Headlander approaches everything with a wink and a smile, a varied palette of colors that lean toward bright with lava lamps and shag carpeting in some rooms, and areas that look generally inviting.

The 70s aesthetic and generally fun atmosphere is somewhat at odds with the tone of the story at times; but there is usually some kind of whimsy at play. This is something that I wish that more games set in the future would pursue: space can be fun, and the bad stuff should be a surprise rather than an expectation.

This may fall into spoiler territory (I don't think it does, but different people have different feelings on this sort of thing) but here's a video that I went ahead and uploaded for this purpose. Fun for the sake of fun, and the music moment had me chuckling away as I tried to play well (and instead only played well enough :-) )

https://youtu.be/O_7QRbQ8DN4

theuprightman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Prey

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

People have already said Nioh, so I guess I won't repeat that one. Instead, I just want to say that Tokyo Mirage Sessions is the dopest JRPG about the Japanese entertainment industry you never knew you wanted. I'm normally not one for Switch port-begging, but that's probably the one Wii U game I think more people should give a shot.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#24  Edited By Mezmero

I sort of wonder if there should be a distinction of 'current gen' games between indie and AAA because I feel both answers could be interesting from person to person. Excluding ones that have been mentioned I might have to say Pyre purely because someone has to. It might not be Supergiant's strongest game design (I ended up liking the celestial rugby quite a bit by the end) but it features some of the most surprising video game writing I've come across ever. I can't think of anything else I've played that questions the concepts of winning and losing in a competitive setting while also making them such vital parts of proceeding through the game. When it comes to making choices, you should absolutely go with your gut and just roll with the punches in the Rites. Even playing a campaign without losing a match I wound up with a profoundly emotional ending that made me ponder over all the things I could/should have done differently. It's all brought together with a wonderful art style and fabulous music.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

If PC games from the same time period count, then Factorio. It's tough to get into, but seeing everything you've put together over time work together (or not) is very satisfying.

If I'm restricted to consoles, then Sky Force Reloaded. It's an approachable SHUMP that feels great to play in a time when every other SHUMP is made for masochists.

Avatar image for doughnutwarlord
doughnutwarlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Ys VIII is a fantastic action RPG (with a fantastic soundtrack, to boot) and people should definitely give it a shot. It kinda got buried in all the other great games that came out in 2017, but it immediately became one of my personal favorite games ever.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vermintide 2 since it's easily the best first person melee combat and archery that I've played - it puts games like Skyrim to shame. It also scratches that co-op team play itch that Left 4 Dead, ME3 multiplayer, Gears horde, and others satisfied.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As much as I'd like to say Senran Kagura since it's a series that I've championed since Estival Versus, given the audience that I'm working with... yeah. That's probably not gonna work out. Maybe for MyAnimeList, but not here.

dkessler175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ni-oh the combat is fast, fluid and satisfying. The environments, while broken up into levels have shortcuts built into them similar to the world of dark souls. Loot is constantly dropping and the leveling and weapons forging systems are deep and rewarding. I absolutely loved the time I spent with it.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Night in the Woods. Some of the best writing I've ever seen in a game. Although some people seem to find it insufferable.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

@wollywoo: The writing was fine. For me it was the last act that I found to be insufferable.

I don't know that this list is intended for big AAA releases. I liked the earlier suggestions of Nioh and Yakuza. My answer will be The Witcher 3 in the sense that I would have liked more people who saw it as not their genre or not their thing to go into it with an open mind. Obviously it was heaps popular and doesn't need the help, but still.

Also Hitman

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On Rush, it's really good!

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tales From the Borderlands is a good example. I tried it out last year mostly out of pity since Telltale went and died, and it's a real funny cinematic adventure game. I dunno if it even counts though, it was on the 360 as well and I sincerely doubt they made it PS4 first with how little their engine changed.

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Talos Principle + Road to Gehenna DLC.

Interesting puzzles and mechanics, Godly music and tone, PLUS beautiful and clever writing (especially the DLC) on top of those unshakable foundations.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PREY!!!!!!!!

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Does Shenmue HD count?

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Valley A short game that came out in 2016 on PC and consoles. I really enjoyed it.

Avatar image for militantfreudian
militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The one game that immediately comes to mind is Dishonored 2. It offers a high level of player expressivity and ample room for emergent play. I see no reason not to give it a shot since a lengthy trial is available on all platforms.

CupOfDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Concrete Jungle is really cool deck building city builder from a few years ago that like nobody played. It has a surprisingly good single player campaign but, the game really shines in the versus matches against the ai (and theoretically other people, if you can one of the six other people that bought this game).

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I'd say the PS Vita in general because it's a shame that it never really caught on in the US.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Onemanarmyy

Dungeon of the Endless. Most people see it as a little throwaway sidegame in the Endless Space / Legend universe, but it's actually a really cool game on it's own. I have actually never played these main games! It's a partybased roguelike that lets you construct buildings & turrets on each level. The game is real time, but every door you open, counts as a 'turn'. Resources will be gathered, enemies might spawn in unpowered rooms that you opened up & research happens. Your goal is to find a diamond in the level and bring it back to your base, while enemies flood you while doing this. The neat thing about the game is that every move you make is a question of risk & reward.

Will you open up all rooms to get as many resources from a level and find new gear & characters to add to your team, but deal with the greater amount of enemies? How much of your resources are you willing to put into turret defenses to help out with this? Which turrets are you going to research & how will you combine different turrets in a room?

Will you focus on characters & buildings that generate a resource ("DUST" ) that lets you light up more rooms to reduce the amount of enemy spawns? Or are you opting for characters that are better at fighting?

Will you unlock this room that might give you a shorter runroute from the diamond to the base, but also gives enemies a shorter route to your base?

Are you building on this research node that you discover early on to maximize the amount of resources you get from it, or will you upgrade a building in a room you will open up a few turns later (less resources), but it's further away from the enemies and is less likely to get destroyed?

Are you willing to splurge on defense , just because this one level has a bunch of good research available that makes you want to stay as long as possible on this level?

Will you open up this connecting room that gives your characters a quicker route to join up together to kill the enemies , or will that open up a route that makes the enemies circumvent your deadly turret hallway?

Will you let your high hp hero carry the diamond back to the base, or will you go for the character that has a high movement speed?

Are you willing to let this one character die as a diversion, just to get out of this level with the other characters? Or will you spend all your resources in the hope to beat this wave of enemies?

Will you use this resource to level up your characters, or will you hold on to it to purchase equipment?

Will you level up your characters equally to make them both survivable , or are you going to min/max your way to a key ability one of your characters gets at a certain level?

The combat is a bit fiddly (your guys will fight as soon as they see an enemy in the room they stand in, you get to trigger abilities & you can move your characters in & out of rooms to drop aggro from the enemies for a bit), but if you're into roguelikes that are less about action & more about resource management & decision making, it's a really cool game. One small hint: If you put a character in an unpowered room before you open a new room, enemies won't spawn there. Having 3 rooms of enemies less to deal with can be a huge help!

It also has multiplayer, but given that a run can last for HOURS if you are thinking about each turn, and always putting your characters in optimal spots before you open a door. It's probably best suited for friendgroups that are looking to spend a whole evening together with this game. Or you just keep the difficulty low and let everyone do whatever they want to do i guess :)

If you're the kind of person that likes games like Darkest Dungeon, Orcs Must Die, They Are Billions, Slay The Spire, MTG: Arena & Dota Auto Chess, there's a good chance this game might be up your alley.

hansberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Falling back into my earlier mention of games that are fun for the sake of fun, I'll add Yoku's Island Express to this list. Granted the setting is very different than Headlander that I had discussed above, it still has a similar thought: make the audience smile.

Control a little bug, add in pinball mechanics in an exploration platformer, and make the world vibrant with writing the stuff of a decent Saturday morning cartoon (from the 80s, I guess, since cartoons air at all hours these days). It has a demo, so if you've seen footage and want to get a sense of how it plays, then have at it! It's right there for you. Go! Have fun! Feel like a kid.

gschmidl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Falling back into my earlier mention of games that are fun for the sake of fun, I'll add Yoku's Island Express to this list. Granted the setting is very different than Headlander that I had discussed above, it still has a similar thought: make the audience smile.

Control a little bug, add in pinball mechanics in an exploration platformer, and make the world vibrant with writing the stuff of a decent Saturday morning cartoon (from the 80s, I guess, since cartoons air at all hours these days). It has a demo, so if you've seen footage and want to get a sense of how it plays, then have at it! It's right there for you. Go! Have fun! Feel like a kid.

Came here to mention Yoku's Island Express, but now that you have I'll shill Wandersong instead. Also designed to make you smile and cheer for the bard who wants to save the world. There's a few (very short) frustrating bits, but overall it's really fun. There's a quick look of it.

hansberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gschmidl: I did see that Quick Look, and it's nice to read that it is as joyful as the QL made it seem. I'll probably pick it up at some point. I can well imagine my kids having a good time with it, too.

HarbinLights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

None, everyone has very different tastes in video games. And no game is for everyone.

And besides that, there aren't too many games from the current generation I think all that highly of.

Well, anyway, I think pretty highly of Splatoon 2, Breath of the Wild, and a lot of Nintendo's current gen games. But most relevant to this topic, I wish Final Fantasy XIV would overtake World of Warcraft, so I guess while it's last gen technically, I'd say Final Fantasy XIV as a game that I wish at least far more people would give a chance to. It's already massively successful, probably Square Enix's most successful game(yes, moreso than Final Fantasy VII), but its success still pales in comparison to World of Warcraft sadly. I'd like to see that change.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@harbinlights: If it helps I would say that regardless of sub count, which is a very different metric for both games at this point, the measure of FFXIVs success is way more inspiring because it literally dug itself out of a pile of trash.

Bonbonetti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#47  Edited By Bonbonetti

Anything Yakuza really, more specifically Yakuza 6: the song of life. I think it's crazy how many people seem to turn these games away simply because they don't have English voice-casting, and that observation is based on the PS4 gaming forums I visit (!). Western gamers, especially American and British, really don't seem to like games that are "too foreign", where even a hint of an accent is typically interpreted as "bad voice-acting".

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tales From The Borderlands is one of the most enjoyable choose your owns ever and it got completely ignored. Shame telltale put out so many stinkers around its release because as far as casts of characters go... that gane had some of the best ever. Amd you guys let them die!

small_miss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@harbinlights: I think there are no games which will suit everyone too. For example, there are dozens of cool horror games, but there are also lots of people who can't stand horrors at all.

Anyway, I would recommend The Darkest Dungeon for those who like gloomy games.

dasin81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nioh. If one were to compare the souls games to a partner that reciprocates with you and challenges you mentally and physically, a relationship where you get what you put into it. Nioh would be the summer fling that spoils you and indulges your every whim. The games gives you so many options and mechanics to exploit so much of it would feel like cheating in a souls game.

I can't wait to see what they do with the sequel.

Couldn't agree more. This was by far my favorite game of 2017 :)