• 98 results
#51 Posted by afabs515 (2005 posts) -

Turn-based strategy games, RPGs, puzzle games, and visual novels are all really good "mind cleansers" for me. Whenever I find myself unable to stop ruminating on something or just really stressed out about something, my go-to games have been games like:

• Civ 5
  • Advance Wars
  • Ace Attorney series
  • Zero Escape series
  • FF8

#52 Posted by thdemn (154 posts) -

For me right now, it's Threes!. Whenever I need a lull, or just to focus on something totally to get my mind away from what I was just doing, a quick game of Threes!. In the past, it's been Super Hexagon and Binding of Isaac.

#53 Posted by thefriend (221 posts) -

TF2 is probably my favorite cleanser. Goofing around with hats and a ton of different weapons. Just rek'ing duders.

#54 Posted by Slag (8155 posts) -

@slag said:

Clash of Clans actually

yeah I know.

I just imagined myself placing a hand on your shoulder than a tear running down my face. STAY STRONG.

For me recently it's probably Civilization or Age of Empires II.

Generally speaking though my "mind cleanser" is just Giant Bomb stuff.

Which works out for me as my mind needs a lot of daily cleansing.

That's some clean livin' man.

Never get into the mobile stuff like this old man, stuff is addictive.

#55 Posted by TravisRex (819 posts) -
#56 Posted by ConfusedOwl (1214 posts) -

A good mind cleansing game for me is Harvest Moon Back to Nature on PS1 or A Wonderful Life on Gamecube. Those games are really simple and some might say really boring, but I've always loved them.

#57 Posted by Marokai (3711 posts) -

A strategy or sim game of some sort, usually.

#58 Posted by PatODay (392 posts) -

XCOM: Enemy Within. I get so locked into that game and thinking about moves it clears my head of anything else.

#59 Posted by Voshterkoff (143 posts) -

A little bit of Serious Sam does me good.

Avatar image for meatdimensionfighter
#60 Posted by meatdimensionfighter (51 posts) -

Besiege

#61 Edited by Y2Ken (2931 posts) -

Almost any game will do it for me, but when I really want a chillout game it's usually something that I'm familiar with that feels comfortable and usually isn't too fast-paced.

That means stuff like Hearthstone, Dark Souls, FFXIV (just levelling, questing, FATEs, nothing too high-end), Borderlands, Smash Bros, Path of Exile, Diablo III, even Call of Duty perhaps. Or a bot match in Dota 2 is always very cathartic to me. Also I might just do 5-10 minutes of yoga.

The actual answer is probably that I'm lucky enough to be a very relaxed person so I don't really need any specific game, but those I mentioned do definitely have a calming effect. I'm unlikely to get wound up generally playing games, but with those it's pretty much never.

Special mention to FTL because when I was playing it a lot hearing that opening chime upon starting the game sent a flood of relaxation through my body that I can't explain. It was almost like some sort of video game opium equivalent.

#62 Posted by Entreri10 (581 posts) -

For me its usually between Marvel Heroes, Animal Crossing or one of the Total War games.

#63 Posted by noizy (977 posts) -

Warframe. When nothing is doing it for me, I play Warframe. Played so much of it that it requires no real concentration on my part and I can just get lost in my own thoughts or listen to a podcast or quick look and unwind.

#64 Posted by juice8367 (476 posts) -

madden

#65 Posted by gamefreak9 (2877 posts) -

To me games just aren't at their best when they don't fully immerse you. If i'm feeling fatigue I will probably just want to sit back and watch a dumb movie or show.

#66 Posted by Dichemstys (3921 posts) -

Star Trek Online is great for that.

#67 Posted by Skald (4447 posts) -

Spelunky. I could play that game forever.

But I'd much rather go for a run. Games just don't seem to hold my attention like they used to.

#68 Edited by dgtlty (1216 posts) -

Diablo III for me.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
#69 Posted by AdequatelyPrepared (2522 posts) -

Team Fortress 2. I feast on the tears of those that die to my mini-sentries.

#70 Posted by Sweep (10563 posts) -

Hohokum is my saturday morning hangover cure. I can feel it drawing the poison out of my body.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
#71 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (7830 posts) -

Pretty much any Call of duty esque fps. There a calmness in frenzy there for me.

#72 Posted by jjm494 (96 posts) -

Brutal Doom. There's something about the chaos of that game that helps me decompress.

#73 Posted by SkullPanda1 (1623 posts) -

Tetris, Pokemon, Halo, Burnout Paradise

#74 Posted by izzygraze (947 posts) -

I think I like putting some dance music on and playing some sort of mindless killing game or just some mindless game without the sound.

#75 Edited by Nime (566 posts) -

Recently it's Cities Skylines, Kerbal, or CSGO deathmatch/ casual servers.

It's one of the reasons I miss WoW sometimes - it was always the best podcast/ tv on the second monitor game ever. Always looking for a new game like that but none have stuck the same way. I might actually give Marvel Heroes a try for that reason thanks to Jeff.

#76 Posted by meteora3255 (678 posts) -

@nime: I agree on WoW. I used to throw on some music and do my dailies and that would be enough.

Since I quit WoW it's been GTA. I just hop in and screw around in the world for a bit.

#77 Posted by MadKnight (28 posts) -

@jeust:I love all those games. Big Alan Wake fan.

#78 Posted by JimiPeppr (609 posts) -

I guess if I were to "cleanse" with a game it would be Minecraft, but that doesn't happen very often. Music is my typical method... spinning some vinyls or blasting electronic stuff.

#79 Posted by Jeust (11739 posts) -

@jeust:I love all those games. Big Alan Wake fan.

Nice to meet a fellow fan :)

#80 Posted by MadKnight (28 posts) -

@jeust:Yes it is,I own like 3 copies of Alan Wake.

#81 Edited by Jeust (11739 posts) -

@madknight said:

@jeust:Yes it is,I own like 3 copies of Alan Wake.

I own 2 of Alan Wake (PC and Xbox 360) and 1 of American Nightmare on Xbox 360.

I love the games. And play through them regularly. They are, especially Alan Wake, relaxing games to play for me.

#82 Posted by Bratcher_Lev (390 posts) -

For me it's minecraft. I go down into my strip mine, pick a branch, and start mindlessly digging. It's very cathartic. Also excellent for listening to podcasts.

#83 Posted by THE_RUCKUS (420 posts) -

Kerbal space program after work is great when I have been on tube all day.

One day I get to Duna.

#84 Posted by melodiousj (719 posts) -

Tetris for me, and has been for decades.

#85 Edited by Karkarov (3385 posts) -

Honestly if I really need a head clear and to relax I don't game at all, I read a book, just listen to some music while browsing some websites, or watch "feel good" tv show or movie. If I did have a "head cleanse" game it would probably be Morrowind or Saint's Row 2.

#86 Posted by Flumpus (10 posts) -

It's Dark Souls 1 for me, because I know that game so well, and can either hop in to help someone out in coop, or start a new character and breeze through trying a weapon I haven't used a lot or something. Even knowing it so well and almost never dying at this point (although odd things happen in every run, and they're fun to experience), it's still satisfying but not at all stressful.

#87 Posted by MadKnight (28 posts) -

@jeust:Replayed American Nightmare last week.

#88 Edited by Jeust (11739 posts) -

@madknight said:

@jeust:Replayed American Nightmare last week.

Right now I'm replaying Alan Wake, but I have been wanting to play American Nightmare since I saw this:

Loading Video...

Watch it, if you haven't!

Alan Wake: American Nightmare is heavily based on the ideas Remedy had at the time for Alan Wake 2... Pretty awesome detail. Makes me desire to play AN again, and experience it again, and take notice.

#89 Posted by MadKnight (28 posts) -

@jeust:Watched it and now im starting up Alan Wake.

#90 Posted by BaneFireLord (3556 posts) -

Just Cause 2. Love roaming around and doing dumb shit with physics.

#91 Posted by Jeust (11739 posts) -
#92 Edited by Devil240Z (5705 posts) -

usually a racing game of some kind. Something about driving games zens me out.

#93 Posted by mazik765 (2372 posts) -

Warhamer 40k: Space Marine. Hearing the orks yell 'SPESH MUHRINE!' is pure therapy.

#94 Posted by mortal_sb (667 posts) -

quake 3 / quake live
thps 2 & 3

#95 Posted by NathanXplosion (194 posts) -

I play Threes on my phone or I practice combos in whatever fighting game I'm currently obsessing over, which has been MKX lately.

#96 Posted by katimanic (209 posts) -

FTL

Shame that I don't have an ipad or I would play it more often.

#97 Posted by ToTheNines (1672 posts) -

I use GB videos like the Endurance Runs or Random PC games, they are like warm blankets and I almost always find something new to laugh about. So when I am tired of video games (STARCRAFT 2) I watch other people play them, twitch and GB.

#98 Posted by bluefish (876 posts) -

When I want to go to sleep I sometimes play Proteus on my Vita.

I really like that game.