What's Your Most Hated Game Ever?

• 169 results
Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

I don't really believe in actively hating anything other than the obvious stuff, like genocide and rape. That being said I hate Dragon Age 2 and Kingdom Hearts 358/2 days.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think the last time I really got pissed off at a game's flawed mechanics was LA Noire. That interrogation system was so fucking out of whack.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@seppli:

I'll let somebody like @lordandrew or @ravenlight take it from here.

VGK's hate of Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor is both overwrought and legendary, having derailed numerous threads at its barest mention.

I may have said too much already.

As for myself, I just can't stand Valkyrie Profile 2 at all. At all. The game's big plot twists were basically stomach punches to anyone that loved the ending of the original game in the "Ha ha, we're changing the timeline so the first game never happens" sense. Fuck that noise.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#54  Edited By GunstarRed

I think before last week probably Ecco the Dolphin, but I have been playing Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 and that game is broken beyond belief. I don't think I have ever played a game with so few redeeming points, and any that it does have are overwritten by the insane amount of faults it does have. It makes Shadow the Hedgehog seem like a classic.

As a fan of Sonic with a lot of love for the last two retail games I can now fully understand why some people would be unwilling to ever give that series another chance.

NecroMongo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Street Fighter 4.

I want to like it but I am so terrible at it that I don't even want to play it. I loved Street Fighter 2 on the SNES so fucking much but SF4 would not let me relive that joy.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#56  Edited By MEATBALL

I can't really think of a game that I have any "hate" for, there are games that I don't like, but hate implies a certain level of anger involved and even games that I really don't like, or hate certain things about, like Metroid Other M, often have the odd element that will keep me from completely hating the game (Other M isn't that bad to play, for instance, it's just nowhere near the series' usual standards).

Saints Row 2 is a game I found just pretty awful all around, but I don't "hate" it, for instance.

This may be a side effect of the fact I regularly wind up loving games the internet fucking hate, like Mass Effect 3, Assassin's Creed 3 and Dragon Age 2. It kind of sucks seeing people get super angry about games you enjoy and act like anyone who enjoy them are awful people with zero taste.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5f0e8dcf3078d
deactivated-5f0e8dcf3078d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a pretty deep and irrational hatred for Borderlands 2. The breaking point for me in that game was Tiny Tina. And I dont really "hate" it but more I think it gets way way too much credit and that is the mass effect series.

Yes. So much this. I bought Borderlands 2 because my friends loved it but holy shit did I hate it. I hated everything about it. The guns, the quests, the characters, the writing. All of it was so bad. I'll never understand the appeal of Borderlands 2. My friends were howling with laughter at the "jokes" and I just wanted to stop playing. So yeah, Borderlands 2 is probably my most hated game.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Alien Breed 3. I actually got a kick out of the first one, but between the too samey gameplay, the ridiculous padding an dthe awful, awful, AWFUL ending. I just can't even think about it without sneering. I got all three in a silly steam pack and played them back to back because I kind of enjoyed the first one. I've never had such a changeable experience across one game franchise (that's generous) in such a short amount of time, I went from being super into it to vigorously opposed in the matter of two days.

Damn it @seppli! Now I'm thinking about Alien Breed. Thanks.

eskimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

War Z / Infestation.

Its a fucking indictment on gaming that shit like that can not only exist, but flourish.

lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Hate? Colonial Marines.

Really disappointed by? Fable 2, Homefront, Raccoon City.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#63  Edited By awesomeusername

@seppli said:

Mine's Battlefield 3.

PLOT TWIST! I didn't see this coming.

My answer would be Dead Rising 2: Off The Record. I got stuck at a part where I couldn't make it to the next mission in time because my last save spot so I couldn't finish the story unless I started a new game again. Fuck that game.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#64  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

@necromongo: Well everyone who starts playing any fighter is pretty bad. Hell, even winning shouldn't be the #1 concern if you are learning. I recommend checking this (http://shoryuken.com/2013/07/23/so-you-want-to-learn-to-play-a-fighting-game/) if you want to jump in. Also check out as much content as you can.

But back on topic, I don't like the original Portal. The sterile environment with gameplay in which doesn't feel rewarding or interesting; the journey nor destination wasn't worth it. I do like Portal 2 though.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think I've ever hated a game to be honest. The angriest I've ever gotten was Street Fighter 4. Was playing with a buddy and went on a 4 hour losing streak. I wanted to burn my house to the ground.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#66  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

@thesoutherndandy: I had those kind of days too. Even consistency is not part of my daily dose of playing. I do remind myself about having fun and learning the necessary workarounds even if it might take forever.

redcream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Any MOBA pretty much. Tried them, was bored stiff but all my SC2 friends switched because it was easier. Now I am sad and those stupid games keep going with their one map and billion random ass characters. I may still be angry at them.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@demoskinos said:

I have a pretty deep and irrational hatred for Borderlands 2. The breaking point for me in that game was Tiny Tina. And I dont really "hate" it but more I think it gets way way too much credit and that is the mass effect series.

Yes. So much this. I bought Borderlands 2 because my friends loved it but holy shit did I hate it. I hated everything about it. The guns, the quests, the characters, the writing. All of it was so bad. I'll never understand the appeal of Borderlands 2. My friends were howling with laughter at the "jokes" and I just wanted to stop playing. So yeah, Borderlands 2 is probably my most hated game.

Mutual Borderlands 2 hate deserves a follow from me.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

blueinferno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is probably a game none of you ever heard of, but Nickelodeon Party Blast. It was a party game that had minigames featuring multiple Nicktoons. But damn I don't think I've seen such a cheap cash-in attempt in a video game (aside from Shrek Extra Large, another game I hate and none of you probably know about). The graphics looked worse than an N64 game, the controls were not responsive, and the minigames are just dull.

Shrek Extra Large is one of the biggest turds to ever be released for a videogame console, ever. God, I played that game years ago when I was a kid and hated the living hell out of it.

blueinferno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know if it's my most hated game ever, but Glover for the N64. That game was TRASH. The graphics were garbage, even then. The gameplay was shit. And who the fuck wants to play as a glove with eyes? Why? Why does that game exist?

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By TheHT

The Force Unleashed 2 really annoyed me. I guess it's mostly just all that potential from the first thrown away for what came across as a cash grab.

blueinferno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcghee said:

I think the last time I really got pissed off at a game's flawed mechanics was LA Noire. That interrogation system was so fucking out of whack.

It's funny you mention that, because I remember enjoying LA Noire when I first played it and then hated it when I played it again a few months ago. The interrogation system was frustrating and overly critical of you when you messed up, and it didn't really have an effect on the outcome of the mission you were on, aside from how much praise you got at the end or how chewed out you got if you did poorly.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going with an entire genre: The JRPG.

It was easily my favorite genre of video game. I can't count the hours I spent as a child/teen/young adult on Final Fantasies, Phantasy Stars, Chronos, Xenos and Dragon Quests.

Now, they mostly suck, but I keep buying and playing them anyway.

Xenoblade Chronicles was awesome and is the only one I really feel wasn't a large waste of time. Resonance of Fate comes second since it had some interesting characters and awesome combat and gun customization, but was set in a lackluster world, looked terrible (everything, EVERYTHING is in blurry shades of brown and gray) and had no plot to speak of. Final Fantasy XIII had great combat and was OK in spots, but yeah, too linear and holyfuckingshutthefuckinghellupyouwhinypieceofprepubescentshit Hope Estheim. Eternal Sonata had great combat and that's it. Otherwise it was the most searingly dull experience I've ever experienced. I skipped cutscenes I had not already seen they were that bad.

All in all it seems like this generation they've thrown just about everything I loved about JRPGs down the drain in favor of making great combat systems.

Ni no Kuni is still sitting near the top of my backlog, and I've heard lots of good things about it. Though I'm afraid to play it lest the genre lets me down once again.

DallasTheGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm.. Hard to say. I can't say that there's many games this gen that I hate. My most hated game is The Last Story I think. I like the characters but I pretty much hate everything else. The game needa more color than just gray, brown, white and black and the gameplay got lame after a couple of hours imo.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate Musashi: Samurai Legend It controls like shit, i mean its ridiculous how this quick samurai moved like a sloth. I also remember the characters were terrible and the VO was one of the most annoying in my memory. It did have some awesome music though, still hated it.

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Wii fit. It made my character so fat. I'm not that fat. Fuck you Wii fit.

PonchoPowerPhD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexandersheen: Why? I loved that game

Also, in recent memory, Skyrim, so overrated and I hate it.

PonchoPowerPhD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought Saints Row: The Third was great just because it doesn't take it self seriously at all, and the fact that it's balls to wall insane.

Dport

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Far Cry 2

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate Musashi: Samurai Legend It controls like shit, i mean its ridiculous how this quick samurai moved like a sloth. I also remember the characters were terrible and the VO was one of the most annoying in my memory. It did have some awesome music though, still hated it.

Holy shit, what the fuck did they do to Musashi?!

Nadril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chrono Cross.

Fuck Chrono Cross.

Why? I thought Chrono Cross was an incredible game. Characters weren't as memorable as Chrono Trigger for sure, but I really enjoyed the story and the combat was pretty good.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I would agree with Little Big Planet. Cool concept, absolutely atrocious to play. Way too floaty and things get in the way too often. Mindblowingly frustrating to the point where I traded it in like a week after I bought it on release. And I NEVER trade games in.

But tied has to be World of Warcraft. It's hardly even a game anymore and especially among my friends, where SO many of them have spurts and months of on and off again playing, I see it as something more than a game. They waste so much time doing the same thing over and over. It's really depressing when I see my friends do that. It's a chore. I tried and tried to get into it and, being an RPG lover, I still don't see the appeal or the sense of it.

In fact maybe it's just MMOs in general (Guild Wars 2 is exempt because it's fantastic and engaging and different) but WoW and the like are depressing.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nadril said:

@bigdaddy81 said:

Chrono Cross.

Fuck Chrono Cross.

Why? I thought Chrono Cross was an incredible game. Characters weren't as memorable as Chrono Trigger for sure, but I really enjoyed the story and the combat was pretty good.

I don't know about bigdaddy81, but I never really got the feel of the combat, and the plot was pretty bad. Then there are the points where it tries to shoehorn in a story connection to Chrono Trigger and in the process shits all over the previous game.

mrpandaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first Assassin's Creed.

I don't necessarily hate the game, I just find it so mindnumbingly boring as hell. I mean games are all repetitious, but could it be even more blatant and tedious as it was in the first AC? If the game play had been fun, maybe just maybe I could have gotten at least halfway through the game.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By davidwitten22

@sodapop7 said:

...all my SC2 friends switched because it was easier. Now I am sad and those stupid games keep going with their one map and billion random ass characters. I may still be angry at them.

Welcome to the pain that the Brood War fanbase had to go through when all their friends left Brood War for the dumbed down boring pile of crap that Sc2 is.

Umm... I hate Sc2 for what it did to Brood War, but more than that I hate Candy Crush Saga. No, I don't want to play anymore. Stop asking.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#89  Edited By Seppli

@pandabear said:

@seppli said:

Mine's Battlefield 3. Nothing even comes close. I love Battlefield. I played the shit out of Battlefield 3 despite my hatred for it. Everytime I turn it on, it takes at least 10 hours of constant rage 'til I've sufficiently vented my frustration with pretty much each and every design particular of this game, so that I can somewhat enjoy it for the Battlefield game it is. But god, do I ever hate this game. So fucking much. Black tar of hatred is oozing from my soul everytime I touch it.

So what's your most hated game ever? Remember - there's no hate, if there isn't love as well.

Why the hatred? Just curious what your reasons are. I love the shit out of that game. THE SHIT.... OUT OF...

Don't get me started. Oh well, now it's too late. I'm sure this list won't be anything comprehensive, but here we go....

1. Suppression. Skill stifling mechanic. Reduces viability of reactive actions with screen blur and deviation increase. Increases viablity of spray and pray. Destroys balance in favor of high rate of fire weapons. Why blur these fine graphics? Suppression is a cowardice simulation system. I'm playing Battlefield to act the hero. My direction, if I'd be forced to implent a mechanic to the game, when being fired upon? I'd go for the opposite. Instead of suppression I'd go for combat high. Increasingly desaturate picture when under fire whilst simultaneously starting to highlight/outline/silhouette all enemies in sight and turn each and every ballistic projectile into a tracer round. Of course I'd rather have neither.
  2. Unnatural desaturation of colors. Extreme desaturation of colors when hurt.
  3. Unnatural overexposure. Lights too bright. Shadows too dark.
  4. Too few tracer rounds. Inconsistent muzzle flash (and not enough of it to begin with).
  5. Suppression for every weapon and every kit. Removing visual and audio gun rapport at random for any kit. Distorting clarity of feedback.
  6. The overall quality of visual and audio feedback is horrid by design because of aforementioned points 2.-5. Suppression doesn't help the overall clarity of what's going on either.
  7. The lack of feedback and clarity of what's going on in-game is forcing unnatural systems like 2D-audio spotting, where a single unsuppressed shot gives away your position and heading on the minimap, making any kind of stealth and trigger discipline with an unsuppressed weapon a joke - yet another skill stifling measure. Scope glint is a similar byproduct of muddied feedback by design - a countermeasure made necessary by a design direction I hate.
  8. Kits and vehicle customization too fractioned. Core kit functionalities like repair torches and med kits are optional, same goes for key vehicular countermeasure - making all of it too muddy. A quick kit swap to heal up? Repair vehicle? Forget about it. You never know what you get. Customization went overboard. If it was me responsible for kit design and balance, core kit abilities and basic vehicular countermeasures would be fixed and not optional, like the aforementioned ones.
  9. I hate the blue in blue UI and HUD, that's scaled poorly to anything but 720p rendering resolution. Useless minimap. Useless UI. Obstructive HUD. The worst.
  10. Infantry movement speed too high. Not weighty enough. Essentially soliders move like they're characters in Unreal Tournament or Quake Live, jumpshots included. This is to detriment of tactical gameplay. Why move from cover to cover, when you can just flank the enemy in 3 seconds flat? Each and every jarhead is Micheal Fucking Johnson!
  11. Limited movement. Cannot pull myself up a chest-high ledge. Getting in and out of a window is a flippin exercise everytime. Thought BF3 would finally fix that - vault animation and such. Rather than expand and streamline our movement repertoire, vault fucked with what we could do, whilst adding nothing to the table. Climbing a chesthigh obstacle? Still impossible! Getting in and out of a window, or doing anything with a little finesse, like jumping on a narrow ledge? Vault sure doesn't help with that either. What it did is fuck up hitboxes something fierce.
  12. Fall damage. Too inconsistent and too much fall damage. Dying to non-lethal amounts of fall damage feels silly and is highly aggravating. Any per se non-fatal fall should be incapable to kill.
  13. Any and all lock-on warfare, other than onto jets. Lock-on warfare literally killed tank warfare. It's the worst.
  14. Indirect gadgets like the mortar or SOFLAM. Boring to play. Boring to counter. Just boring.
  15. Dependency mechanics like SOFLAM & Javelin. Again boring. If done correctly however, too powerful.
  16. TV missles are a plague on proper chopper warfare. At least what I consider to be proper. Gunners sniping at each other from across the map with TV missles isn't it.
  17. Tank rounds fly too fast and too true, adjusting aim according to movement speed is no longer necessary, nor is it much harder to hit a moving tank - yet again a skill stifling measure, turning ace tank commandeering skills nigh worthless.
  18. Last but not least, I hate Battlefield 3 for the lack of trying. I hate the spawn system for not trying to spawn me away from the enemy like it did in prior entries to the franchise. I hate careless shit like the scout chopper's HUD being the exact same color as the sky on Markaz Monolith, making aiming a bitch. I hate the lack of rearview in vehicles. I hate all the little shit which drives me up the walls, because I am already in a pissy mood because of all the other more substantial shit I don't like about the game.

This list is not meant to be a comprehensive list, just a taste of my hate for BF3's design particulars. Don't get me wrong, I love Battlefield 3 as well, for being a Battlefield game. Looking at it from a detached perspective, it should be the best game ever made. In the heat of battle however, so much of what it does is opposed to my preferences, that it's an evercascading wave of hatred that washes over me. I hate it sooo much!

emoney244

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In recent memory..

Borderlands 2, I can not stand the writing in the game, meme-filled, immature humor that just makes me groan everytime I hear it. Maybe I'm a little too critical on it but I can't stand stuff like that.

A strong 2nd place is Street Fighter X Tekken. What a great idea just totally misses the mark. It is just a boring and ugly fighter. All the controversy surrounding it does not help.

Tyrrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Borderlands 2

This was truly one of the most massive disappointments I've had in a long time. I loved the first Borderlands, but 2 just pissed away all the awesomeness the first one bestowed upon me. The primary reason? Well, the loot system is just FUCKING BROKEN! I didn't get but maybe 10 SMGs after around 20 hours of play and less than 5 rocket launchers. Also, those damn "fire as fast as you pull the trigger" revolvers were literally about 75% of all the drops I got the entire game. That means about 3 out of every 4 guns was one of those. Yes, literally. I've got to stop, because just thinking about it pisses me off. And I don't want to write a wall of text that I know no one will read.

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Angry Birds is the game I give the least credit for anything, I suppose. Maybe Dead Space 2 is more fitting because I have more to say about how dumb it is. I was actually angry by the time I finished it.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't remember purely hating any game (doesn't mean there isn't one, might just be my bad memory) but if talking about games being massive let downs...ugh. Midtown Madness 3 would probably be my earliest memory of those.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

I don't think I've ever hated a game. None of them have slighted me personally or anything.

I'm not the biggest fan of Fallout 3 though.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

I'm definitely someone who can get a little... impassionate about games I dislike. Instinctively my choice would be Resident Evil 6 (shocker, i know), but there's probably more out there that could have potentially weighed in as decent competition. Samurai Warriors 2 is another game I recently remembered how much I loathe at least.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#96  Edited By Svenzon

In terms of gameplay, Pit Fighter for the SNES. Holy shit, that game is awful. When it comes to writing, I can't remember if a game has ever pissed me off as much as Homefront did.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Catherine.

its like someone took a running shit and squeezed it onto a bluray disk.

who plays this tripe!

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#98  Edited By Seppli

@bell_end said:

Catherine.

its like someone took a running shit and squeezed it onto a bluray disk.

who plays this tripe!

The puzzling just made me feel stupid. Even if I beat the puzzle at hand. A major no-no for these kinds of games. I thought the story stuff was kinda neat, but not enough to subject myself to constant insult.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By mandude

I have run out of ways to describe my hatred for Dragon Age II. I really wish I knew what the designers were thinking. It almost seems unfathomable...

Carlos1408

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bioshock Infinite is the most recent game I can think of. I love the story and almost everything about the game (including the music which is awesome), but JESUS CHRIST do I hate the gameplay. It is infuriating, it is the first game in years that I ended up lowering the difficulty from medium to easy, and I tend to be pretty decent at FPS games. Although I haven't played one properly in a while as I only really play RPGs at the moment.

Did anyone else think the gameplay was subpar? I mean the shooting doesn't feel very satisfying and the powers don't feel that useful, or when they are they run out incredibly quickly. The most annoying thing though is how easily and quickly you become surrounded by enemies that are shooting at you from places that you cannot get them. I had the same problem with Infamous; I hated that game for the same reason listed prior to this sentence. Both great games but fucking infuriating due to some flaws that might seem minor but do really effect the experience.

Rant over. Also feel free to disagree with me, I know a lot of people loved those games.