What Small Feature Would You Add to Giant Bomb?

• 85 results
chrisjames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Hey duders, I’m Chris. An engineer here at CBSi and I had a question for you; If you could snap your fingers and add one small feature/enhancement to giantbomb.com what would you add?

The reason I’m asking is to see what you guys, the community browsing the site, would love to see added. I’m not asking because we are out of ideas or don’t have enough we are currently doing. There’s also no guarantee any of the ideas posted here will be implemented. I would love for this conversation to be a positive one so please don’t comment on bugs or issues you have with the site, there’s a place for that.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to reading your suggestions!

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mike

Giving users the option to hide individual wiki boards from view on the main forum feed, so if they don't want to see topics about a certain game or platform they don't have to. A feature like this would be especially helpful around the launch of highly anticipated games to not only help people avoid spoilers, but to clean up their feed if they aren't interested in that game and there are 5 or 10 active topics about it. Been asking for this one since 2008!

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By ajamafalous

Some type of scavenger hunt system

@mike said:

Giving users the option to hide individual wiki boards from view on the main forum feed, so if they don't want to see topics about a certain game or platform they don't have to. A feature like this would be especially helpful around the launch of highly anticipated games to not only help people avoid spoilers, but to clean up their feed if they aren't interested in that game and there are 5 or 10 active topics about it. Been asking for this one since 2008!

I second this one; it sucks to have to decide between using the forums for a week and having games spoiled just because a new game comes out

Also, I might be just missing it, but as far as I can tell we still don't have a way to quickly view a user's created threads, which has been missing since the Seaserpent redesign

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

A 24/7 chat channel that streams random giant bomb video stuff.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ezekiel

Replace the forum's weird format with the more universal one that uses BB codes. I still don't know how to arrange images here and the quote system is complicated.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@xanadu: Expanding on that, it'd be nice if there was a randomize button that took you to a random video page from over the years.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@mike said:

Absolutely. I entered this thread with the intention of posting this exact request.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Emotes built directly into chat ;)

RikiGuitarist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RikiGuitarist

I don't think this would be considered a small feature, but I would love a playlist feature for all of the videos, and hopefully podcasts, on the site.

It's the main reason why I still download GB videos and watch them in VLC, rather than streaming them in the video player.

It would be cool if we could save different types of playlists too, so we could build up different content backlogs to work through.

omelettefists

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By omelettefists

Roku livestreams... probably impossible.

locovoco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would love the ability to control the twitter feed on the homepage, preferably being able to enable or disable which staff member's account displays, or at least being able to turn it off.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel said:

Replace the forum's weird format with the more universal one that uses BB codes. I still don't know how to arrange images here and the quote system is complicated.

This. Just a straight rip of XenForo would make me very happy.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Jeff was talking about the wiki not doing that much traffic, if I remember correctly. So Quests 2.0 to get people exploring it, especially for the people that missed it grinding the site to a halt back in the day.

mikewhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mikewhy

Notifications / RSS Feed for Live Events in the top bar. If there's an RSS feed, people can use it with IFTTT to get text notifications of live streams.

I even wrote a server to do the feed and an IFTTT action, but it's hacky and would be great if there was official support.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ares42

I see my ideas were already posted, but ye, forum filter would've been nice. Actually add to that, filter settings for what content the main page displays (and maybe even how it's being prioritized). And yes, video randomizer would be awesome. Although I bet that's not exactly a small feature.

Okinopolytrans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Buy Giant Bomb Video Buddy from @soup_menu and support it as the new official app. Improve streaming performance on mobile.

The ability to switch the site to a West or East-only view. I know it's one site, but they are starting to have unique voices (which I think was the goal), and if I'm in the mood for GBeast, I'd like to have the site tailor the content that way.

Park videos permanently in Continue Watching.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By 49th

Having an endless chain of replies in live chat when you click the little speech bubble instead of just the previous 1 reply.

Mousing over an emote should tell you the name (like Twitch does) + emote menu.

Remove the Bug Reports forum from Recent Topics so that you don't get 50 locked threads popping up about "remove obscure character duplicate page from the wiki"

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

@xanadu said:

http://gbrandomquicklook.party/viewParty.html

Nobody uses it, though.

I would want to be able to save videos to an indefinite queue.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think this would be considered a small feature, but I would love a playlist feature for all of the videos, and hopefully podcasts, on the site.

Supporting this because I like to binge. Sure, there's YouTube for some of the free videos, and there's QLCrew, though I forget about it most of the time, but playlists for videos, especially premium videos, that autoplay until the end of a series on the home site would be excellent.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By NTM

Timestamps on the bombcasts.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

@rikiguitarist said:

Supporting this because I like to binge. Sure, there's YouTube for some of the free videos, and there's QLCrew, though I forget about it most of the time, but playlists for videos, especially premium videos, that autoplay until the end of a series on the home site would be excellent.

I would love this so fucking much. I too love to binge from time to time and playlists would make that whole process much more enjoyable.

ikilledthedj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Random video button

Emperor_Norton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

A featured game/article on the home page ala Wikipedia's article of the day

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By Onemanarmyy

Being able to search through audio files by the tags that they are given. Some wiki pages show some of the audio (Dark Souls) while others do not, despite being tagged (Oddworld : Strangers Wrath, The Witcher 3)

Being able to see a comment chain during chat would also be nice. I find myself often scrolling back trying to figure out what the conversation is about.

Last but not least, it seems tricky to put links into text whileyou're writing. Many times the link will just not drop. Adding links after the entire comment is written is pretty much necessary. Maybe something can be done here.

toopopplio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By toopopplio

Not small, but I'd love a Netflix like display for all video content on the site.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#26 FinalDasa  Moderator

A resume function for podcasts, like the videos have. Having to keep a podcast page open to keep my place is a slight annoyance.

tyn0mite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the idea of a 24/7 chat w/ video playing. I know there are Discords and a site that does something similar but it would be nice if it was all vontsindd to GB proper.

Not necessarily a queue system but just a "save for later" list you can create.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would be cool if we could save different types of playlists too, so we could build up different content backlogs to work through.

Yes. I would like to see some kind of Watch Later list, like on YouTube. Digging through the current video categories to find a video from even a month ago can be tough sometimes.

Also, an "Up Next" feature on top of the "Popular Videos" column on the right of the video page. If you're watching a multi-episode series and you're on episode 9, it'd be nice if episode 10 was right there, ready to play.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

An easy way to watch premium videos via PS4 or Xbox one. An app ideally available internationally. Using built in browsers on those systems is far too clunky.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3d422a86eae
deactivated-5f3d422a86eae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A seperate tag in the videos drop down for UPF

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike said:

A thousand times this.

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#32  Edited By avantegardener

Couple of things I'd love, firstly, and probably the most achievable, a 'like' buttons for comments, sometimes you just want to give a nod to someone, without having to reply.

The 2nd more of a pipe dream, the return of some sort of meta game, I loved the achievement tracking and quests of old, and I understand that gamification of websites is slightly old hat and difficult, but I thought it worked so well on here. Something completely new might be cool.

nicolasvh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By nicolasvh

Hire a Product Manager. :) Not kidding: there's so much small stuff you guys could to improve the platform and to increase conversion of Premium subscribers. There's so much untapped potential on the 'non content' side of things.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xanadu said:

http://gbrandomquicklook.party/viewParty.html

Nobody uses it, though.

an official version would be sweet. i would imagine a 24/7 mostly unmoderated chat would be a logistical nightmare, though (despite chat being ok like 90% of the time). i would be happy with a random giant bomb tv.

masterrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The current swatch internet time somewhere on the front page, with all event times listed in .beats would future proof the site.

void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Manually mark videos as watched/unwatched. Now with progress tracking I reckon that would be pretty easy.

Not as easy, but something I'd love to have: Community tags and highlights for content. Giant Bomb could learn a lot from QLcrew.com.

lead_dispencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Besides the quests which isn't a small feature by any means. I think the random video button would be neat.

"Hey what am I going to get this time? A quick look with Ryan from 2009? A flight club video with Dave? Maybe a upf. Who knows"

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not a small feature, but yeah, integrate some of the functionality from QLCrew.

matoya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Quests

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Quick fire ideas include:

• Wiki Game / Character / Developer of the day
  • Random "Quick Look" button
  • Progress tracking / resume on audio podcasts
  • Games released on this day list
  • Ability to delete user blog posts (always struck me as strange that you can delete reviews and not blogs)
  • Flagging / favourites system for videos

(This last one gets its own bullet point as its my most requested)

• A method of being able to filter out and view a list of all the guest articles written on the site
Avatar image for joe_mccallister
Joe_McCallister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I really like some of the other suggestions so far - especially the hide board function and the suggestion for Live Events (great use of IFTTT) and the QLCrew enhancements would be awesome.

A small thing I'd like to see is in addition to Quote/Reply/Flag is something like a Star/Save function that I can pop back to via my profile. It doesn't happen terribly often but if someone throws out a good tip or some info that might be useful - it'd be cool to have instead of having to either bookmark the forum post or copy/paste somewhere else.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

I'd like something that makes editing wikis and gaining points relevant again. Also in the early years following users used to matter more, I don't know why. So some sort of interaction between users, people and their followers would be cool too. I mention this because I've noticed that most of the "follows" happened in those years - nobody is bothered about that aspect of the site anymore.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

While I know it's never going to happen, a way to manage your collection would be great. I gave up on using lists for this purpose a long time ago and I haven't found a good enough replacement or way to handle my collection ever since gamespot changed their collection system many years ago.

Some kind of playlist functionality would be awesome. To expand on this I'd also appreciate the ability to tell which videos I've watched and which ones I haven't watched yet. Same for the podcasts.

I kind of want to just sort all videos by oldest to latest and hit play and let it roll on its own. I don't like the idea of random videos, as I prefer watching things chronologically.

I missed this feature when I wanted to play an older game and at the same time get a feel for what else was happening around that time in gaming, just to help put things into perspective and to better understand its place in gaming history.

Integrating QLCrew into the site would also be appreciated.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@csl316: I'm not surprised the wiki doesn't do that much traffic, with the search function being very archaic compared to Google/Bing etc. I consistently type things in there and don't get the results I'm looking for. Whatever logic they use for the Wiki is either broken or not up to the task of modern search standards.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@brendan: Good point. These days if I want a release date or a composer for a game, Google gets me where I need to go within 10 seconds. Same reason I don't really use IMDB for info. The wiki here is just a fun thing to explore now and then.

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• I stopped posting screenshots to the forum a long time ago because the quality of the image in the forum post was greatly reduced from the original. Has that been addressed at all?
  • Add the page navigation buttons above the videos on the Videos tab. The Forums tab already has this.
  • Another vote for Bombcast timestamps.
The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

On the topic of forums, I'd like to go the opposite direction: I'd love to be able to extend that list another 20 or 30 posts, or have an alternate way of sorting them. I feel like the same handful of topics get surfaced and that sometimes makes it hard to find something to participate in.

Zelnox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is there an easy way to create a party to watch a GB video with other members that includes a local chat?

Maybe also a way for members to annotate videos (think of the Soundcloud timeline).

Chuwero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A functional chromecast ability in the video player during livestreams. Currently have to cast tab using chrome browser which is not as reliable.