What sort of flight combat games you wish to see them announced by next-gen?

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Hello

The ones I would like to wish to see them announced are:

• Ace Combat 8
  • Star Wars: Squadrons 2
judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge is my favorite flight combat game. Fast, arcadey mechanics, over-the-top boss fights, frantic split screen multiplayer. Basically Unreal Tournament in the air. I just want a sequel or something like this. Blazing Angels 2 and the flight portions of Battlefront 2 have come close, but nothing has really matched it all these years later.

I'd love to see Sega officially release Propeller Arena, a Dreamcast game that was cancelled in the wake of the 9/11 World Trade Center attack.

Haven't played Squadrons, but it is on my list. Oh, a new Rogue Squadron would be cool.

DutchElvis92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'd like a revival of 90s flight sims to give a counterbalance to the "rivet counter" mentality. At the very least, can they rerelease Jane's Longbow 2 and get it running on modern Windows so I don't have to build a 1998 throwback PC to play it?

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I love me some Ace Combat, so yes please let's have another one of those. Like @judaspete said, Crimson Skies was a fantastic game and I really hope we could get a modern sequel or even a proper remaster at some point.

What we haven't had in a while is a good helicopter combat game. I've always enjoyed piloting helicopters in the Battlefield games for example and used to play quite a few of the early Comanche games.

stantongrouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I do love me some WWI dogfights, so a quite arcade-y new IP in that format would be good. I mean if they wanted to remake Wings (again) or do a very belated proper sequel I'd be down for that.

Also, 2D side on dogfight games used to grab me in the 8bit/16bit era and they seem to have been largely forgotten recently after a brief resurgence on the indie scene. I'd take a new one of those - especially if it was very much like Luftrausers in control, speed and style.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#7  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

I really miss that 90s style of combat flight sims, such as those made by Microprose, DID, Digital Integration, Spectrum Holobyte and Novalogic, which I think found a great balance between the complete arcadiness of Ace Combat and uninviting serious simulations (DCS/Eagle Dynamics, iEntertainment etc.).

I wanna have some semblance of flying a plane, having to take off, land and avoid incapacitating the pilot during high G manuevers, but I don't want DCS' 20 minute pre-launch checklists and fuel mixture management.

I really hope Microsoft gets around to making a new Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator using the tech from the newest MSFS, they were never my favorites in the genre, but I'd definitely take one of those right now.

Oh, and obviously I want it to have a proper single player campaign (either procedurally generated/dynamic campaigns like in some of the later DID ones or a proper mission based one like in Strike Commander or Ace Combat), not just another War Thunder, World of Warplanes, Comanche 2020 or whatever kind of PvP thing.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@judaspete: I hope Microsoft would able to revive Crimson Skies.

For Sega's Propeller Arena for Dreamcast, it's a shame that it had been canceled, due to the infamous 9/11 attack and if the developer wants to remake it, they better make this game set in rural rather than urban environments.

AdamALC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will echo earlier responses and say Crimson Skies 2. Also with the success of Squadrons I would like to see a proper Rogue Squadron, maybe saga wide with a 1/3 in each era.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Still wanting someone to make a Silver Surfer space sim.

pudking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Falcon

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

A Battlestar Galactica space sim. Barring that, give me a Wing Commander revival. Not quite flight sim but of a similar vein, let's see a modern Desert/Jungle Strike-esque game too.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Zelyre

@sparky_buzzsaw said:

A Battlestar Galactica space sim.

Not anything official, but there is a Freespace 2 mod you might be interested in. It's not too long, but it's an evening or two worth of toaster toasting goodness. Also works well as a side story that takes place around the same time as 33.

Loading Video...

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What a thread full of great taste. Came in to say they should give Squadrons another shot with a bigger budget and someone else is linking BSG: Diaspora. Seconding all that good shit.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd love a proper X-Wing and/or TIE Fighter game. Squadrons was a (surprising) step in the right direction, but I felt like the campaign ended up being kind of an afterthought. I'd love a single-player only version - bring back the multi-stage mission briefings, levels with multiple bonus objectives, campaign medals, and all that weird Order of the Empire stuff for completing hidden objectives.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I would love to see a middle spot for console flight games. I want a smidge more simulation in terms of armament and weapons numbers. I would love a mission structure where a slightly more realistic armament of the aircraft were stressed. For instance mission where you fight four foes not twenty, or missions that stress landing to re-arm.

In terms of games I would love to see Colony Wars come back. I would love to see Ace Combat games appear every two to three years.