What Stories or Moments to Finish Before GOTY Discussions?

Dhutch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Just a little over 2 months until GOTY deliberations kick off, and it's time to start cramming in and finishing those 'special' experiences before the crew has to spoil everything to undermine their opponents' favorite games! Previously, I hadn't played The Witness or Return of the Obra Dinn before they discussed them, and I don't want to make the same mistake again.
What games, or at least chapters, do you recommend people get through before the holiday podcasts come around, to experience them first hand? My big ones are Outer Wilds and Goose Game.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

What the Golf? has a ton of fun “jokes.”

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MezZa

I havent played it myself yet but Man of Medan seems like a game that is best experienced yourself before listening to others talk about it. If until dawn is anything to go by at least.

Maybe Control since they've talked around it so much in the weekly podcasts. I'd imagine they'll just let all the spoilers flow once goty comes around.

Now that I think about it, I havent played any story heavy games this year. Mostly been playing stuff that is more gameplay focused. Weird.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really can't think of that many examples out of everything I've played this year. Control has a great part towards it's ending that most people seem to agree on is pretty neat, but I don't think it's really a moment that becomes underwhelming if it gets spoiled.

I didn't play it myself, but I watched a LP of Katana Zero, which had a pretty cool story and a couple of fun moments. MK11 also has a pretty bonkers story and ending(s?) from what I've heard.

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

Yeah man, in the past 3-4 GOTY discussions, I have put them off because I have not been able to play the big "story" or "moment" games of the year before they discuss them at length. I really like the discussions they have around them, but its not as easy to keep up like it was for the '09-'13 awards. Everything after that, lets just say I am able to hit one of 10 big games of the year, where previously I could hit maybe 5 or 6. Then 2 or 3 were backburner games, and another 1 or 2 were games I didn't mind if they would get spoiled or didn't care about.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I’m late to the party with most games, these days, but Control would be my current answer.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Outer Wilds, totally. You wanna experience the end of that game before they talk about it.

Dhutch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alright, so far we've got:

1. Outer Wilds
  2. Control
  3. Man of Medan
  4. What the Golf
  5. Katana Zero
  6. MK 11
  7. Untitled Goose Game

Do these seem like they might fall into either Best Story or Best Moment type lists?

Sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Sombre

For me:

Octopath Traveller

Goose Game

Control

RE:2 Remake

Fire Emblem if I can fit it in

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 14

Fire Emblem didn't really take over the office like I expected it to, but it should probably be on there as there are a few moments that are VERY spoilery.

Control doesn't really have much to "spoil," everything's more in the moment and there's no one thing that would really drop the jaw if one knew about it ahead of time. There's really only one thing I could see standing out for "best moment/sequence," and hearing about it wouldn't ruin the effect. The story's fantastic, but it's not something that hinges on twists.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By clagnaught

Thinking in terms of what the bomb crew may talk about, here are some guesses:

• Jeff: Control
  • VInny: Outer Wilds
  • Alex: Judgment
  • Brad: Mortal Kombat 11
  • Dan: Death Stranding
  • Abby: Resident Evil 2
  • Jason: ???
  • Ben: ???
  • Jan: Kingdom Hearts III
nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@dhutch: Someone here can correct me, but as a fan of the MK9-11 stories, I thought MK11 was better than 10, though not on par with 9.

Also, while it’s campy fun, spoilers shouldn’t be a concern, here.

Drachmalius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

One that I haven’t seen mentioned here is A Plague Tale: Innocence. The gameplay is very scripted and not great but the story owns and I think Alex completed it. It’s worth seeing through even if it’s only mentioned by one or two crew members during the podcasts imo.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 32

#15  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I'd say the last chapter of MK11's story is worth a look, but admittedly, I've only played a few games from this year.

Also, I know it won't be on anyone else's list, but the moment in Far Cry New Dawn when you find out what happened to the original Far Cry 5 protagonist is pretty damn dark and a great quiet moment.