What surprised, enchanted, troubled, and humbled me at E3 09 Day2

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

Edited By AgentJ

GOLDEN SUN! GOLDEN SUN! GOLDEN SUN! Also, no one has told me what the title of this blog post is a reference to yet

Agent for the PS3 better star a character named J

What Games Impressed me:
GOLDEN SUN! It looks almost exactly what i imagined and dreamed it would
Metroid: Other M. I couldnt make much sense of the footage I saw, but it was still flipping awesome. I cant wait to see and feel how this will play
New Super Mario Bros Wii. If this game ends up being full price 50 bucks, I probably will be less interested. At a cheaper price though, or if it is much longer than NSMB,  i will want this big time
Uncharted 2. There was a lot going on in the demo, and while i didnt like how much your unarmored main character was being shot by high powered rifles without taking noticable damage (what were those tables made out of? wood plated steel?), the gameplay looks just as fun as the first and the seamless transitions are fantastic
Soul Calibur Broken Destiny. They only showed a few second clip, but it looks just as good as the console entries and unlike most psp games the controls will most likely work. 
Gran Turismo 5. Doesn't quite look real yet, but it's almost there. Nearly put this in indifferent or dissapointed because we didnt see any gameplay. 
What games suprised me:
GOLDEN SUN! I had given up hoping for it. Last year I thought "they'll announce it this year!" and they didnt. I did the "IT's an N64!" thing when i found out.
MAG. Despite everything going on in the game, it sure looks nice from a technical standpoint. I worry about how they are going to handle the squads and stuff though, since it seems to me that most people wont bother listening to the squad member, and every drop-out would taint the game. And thats if people are even able to round up 255 people to play with. If there arent that many people available from day one, i can see people dropping this game.
Warioware. The minigame-making mechanic looks like a ton of fun. Do want. 
COP: The Recruit looked very good running on the DS hardware
Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker. This was both suprising and dissapointing at the same time, and i doubt how well it will control especially given the previous MGS entries onthe PSP, but the story and look got their claws in me

What games left me indifferent:
GOLDEN SUN! Just kidding, nothing about this game leaves me indifferent!!!!
Super Mario Galaxy 2. We already had a 3D Super Mario entry on the Wii. There hasn't been two on the same console since the SNES. unnecessairy
Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 days. I need to see more before making a judgement.
Gran Turismo PSP. I can't imagine controlling those cars being very fun with that control scheme, but i'll hold judgement until i get it in my hands
Mario and Luigi RPG: Bowsers inside story. I havent cared for previous entries in the series, and this looks like more of the same
Crystal Bearers. I just dont know about this game. I havent seen anything that has made me want it
Mod Nation Racers. The Customization options are vast, like LBP, but the gameplay seems lacking, like LBP. When Mario Kart looks deep in comparison, it's a bad sign. The idea of the track editor is very impressive though, and if the driving was more impressive i'd immediately move this to the section above
Trico. Same footage as the leak, but still cool footage. 
God of War 3. Was it just me, or was every enemy reaction delayed? Looks like they added some new powers and such, but i haven't been a big GOW fan in the first place, and it looks like much of the same. While i'm sure many people will enjoy the game, im not exactly psyched. At least they didnt show another cutscene

What games dissapointed me:
GOLDEN SUN! I wanted to see more! They only showed us Felix and a few summons! We need more! Now!
Assassins Creed 2. Looks far to similar to the first game. It needs more improvements
Final Fantasy XIV online. first of all, this screams of Sony desperation (i hope nobody takes this the wrong way, but thats my honest opinion), announcing the next FF before XIII has even come out. Second of all, Another numbered online game? didnt they learn their lesson with the first one? Jesus...

WTF SONY?
White Knight Chronicles. I want this game, yet they showed next to no footage!
Heavy Rain.Same as White knight Chronicles
Montages. I love montages, but i dont know all those games just by looking at them. Give us the names of the games being shown!
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By AgentJ

GOLDEN SUN! GOLDEN SUN! GOLDEN SUN! Also, no one has told me what the title of this blog post is a reference to yet

What Games Impressed me:
Metroid: Other M. I couldnt make much sense of the footage I saw, but it was still flipping awesome. I cant wait to see and feel how this will play
New Super Mario Bros Wii. If this game ends up being full price 50 bucks, I probably will be less interested. At a cheaper price though, or if it is much longer than NSMB,  i will want this big time
Uncharted 2. There was a lot going on in the demo, and while i didnt like how much your unarmored main character was being shot by high powered rifles without taking noticable damage (what were those tables made out of? wood plated steel?), the gameplay looks just as fun as the first and the seamless transitions are fantastic
Soul Calibur Broken Destiny. They only showed a few second clip, but it looks just as good as the console entries and unlike most psp games the controls will most likely work. 
Gran Turismo 5. Doesn't quite look real yet, but it's almost there. Nearly put this in indifferent or dissapointed because we didnt see any gameplay. 
What games suprised me:
GOLDEN SUN! I had given up hoping for it. Last year I thought "they'll announce it this year!" and they didnt. I did the "IT's an N64!" thing when i found out.
MAG. Despite everything going on in the game, it sure looks nice from a technical standpoint. I worry about how they are going to handle the squads and stuff though, since it seems to me that most people wont bother listening to the squad member, and every drop-out would taint the game. And thats if people are even able to round up 255 people to play with. If there arent that many people available from day one, i can see people dropping this game.
Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker. This was both suprising and dissapointing at the same time, and i doubt how well it will control especially given the previous MGS entries onthe PSP, but the story and look got their claws in me

Super Mario Galaxy 2. We already had a 3D Super Mario entry on the Wii. There hasn't been two on the same console since the SNES. unnecessairy
Gran Turismo PSP. I can't imagine controlling those cars being very fun with that control scheme, but i'll hold judgement until i get it in my hands
Mario and Luigi RPG: Bowsers inside story. I havent cared for previous entries in the series, and this looks like more of the same
Crystal Bearers. I just dont know about this game. I havent seen anything that has made me want it
Mod Nation Racers. The Customization options are vast, like LBP, but the gameplay seems lacking, like LBP. When Mario Kart looks deep in comparison, it's a bad sign. The idea of the track editor is very impressive though, and if the driving was more impressive i'd immediately move this to the section above
God of War 3. Was it just me, or was every enemy reaction delayed? Looks like they added some new powers and such, but i haven't been a big GOW fan in the first place, and it looks like much of the same. While i'm sure many people will enjoy the game, im not exactly psyched. At least they didnt show another cutscene

GOLDEN SUN! I wanted to see more! They only showed us Felix and a few summons! We need more! Now!
Assassins Creed 2. Looks far to similar to the first game. It needs more improvements
Final Fantasy XIV online. first of all, this screams of Sony desperation (i hope nobody takes this the wrong way, but thats my honest opinion), announcing the next FF before XIII has even come out. Second of all, Another numbered online game? didnt they learn their lesson with the first one? Jesus...

WTF SONY?
Montages. I love montages, but i dont know all those games just by looking at them. Give us the names of the games being shown!
ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#2  Edited By ahoodedfigure

Golden Sun just makes me nervous because I never got the sequel.  So I have the first game, but can't even play the second to see what happens! :)

I'm actually glad they didn't show too much of Heavy Rain just yet, because I sorta don't want to see too much before I get a chance to play it :)

Metroid looks a bit like a brawler now.  Reminded me of the new Ninja Gaiden, at least when in the third person mode.  A lot more limber than the old Samus Aran, that's for sure.

Trico is still a bit breathtaking for me :)

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By AgentJ
@ahoodedfigure said:
" Golden Sun just makes me nervous because I never got the sequel.  So I have the first game, but can't even play the second to see what happens! :)I'm actually glad they didn't show too much of Heavy Rain just yet, because I sorta don't want to see too much before I get a chance to play it :)Metroid looks a bit like a brawler now.  Reminded me of the new Ninja Gaiden, at least when in the third person mode.  A lot more limber than the old Samus Aran, that's for sure.Trico is still a bit breathtaking for me :) "
Go out now and buy Golden Sun: The Lost Age. It is among the best 2D RPGs ever made, and maybe among the best RPGs of all time
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

#4  Edited By LordAndrew

It seems Square Enix just loves their online Final Fantasy games, even if no one else does.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#5  Edited By ahoodedfigure
@AgentJ: Would if I could.  Not easy to find GBA games where I am.
vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By vidiot
@AgentJ said:
Yikes! Perspective AgentJ! Square has DONE THIS BEFORE!!! In fact, if you recall, they did it worse!

Final Fantasy X, XI, and XII were all originally announced at roughly the same time! All touting Square's early PlayOnline PS2 all-in-one service that went nowhere.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AgentJ

That doesnt seem right. I'd believe X and XI, but i remember when XII was announced. It was long after XI. 

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Diamond

The footage of Trico / The Last Guardian was NOT old.  Everything had way better graphics (refined) and there were a bunch of new scenes...  Easily one of my top picks from the presentations.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By trophyhunter

well yeah now that you mention it where was white knight, heavy rain or demon souls
but still it was amazing showing for sony

JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By JonathanMoore

I also thought Mario Galaxy 2 for the Wii would be unnecessary, but then remembered how fun Mario Galaxy was originally. Epic.

-- God Bless.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Diamond
@trophyhunter said:
" well yeah now that you mention it where was white knight, heavy rain or demon souls but still it was amazing showing for sony "
Well Atlus is publishing Demon's Souls, so that means Sony probably thinks it's a low tier game.

I think the lack of Heavy Rain is the biggest thing lacking, but there was actually new footage in the montages, and Sony was going over time-wise.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AgentJ
@Diamond said:
" The footage of Trico / The Last Guardian was NOT old.  Everything had way better graphics (refined) and there were a bunch of new scenes...  Easily one of my top picks from the presentations. "
Oh, i didnt watch the whole thing. once i realized it was the same footage i had already seen, i didnt stick around
Protoroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Protoroll

What surprised me was Golden Sun DS. HOLY SHIT BATMAN THAT GAME LOOKS AMAZING. What troubled me was the PS3 motion controller. IT WORKS EXACTLY LIKE THE WII MOTION PLUS. The archery demo they showed worked just like the one that Nintendo demoed with Wii Sports Resort.  

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By Video_Game_King

Eh, I like the new Galaxy, since it has enough new stuff to warrant another game. However, what stole the show for me was the new Metroid (which I'll elaborate on in my own blog).

Deevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By Deevo
@Protoroll said:
" What surprised me was Golden Sun DS. HOLY SHIT BATMAN THAT GAME LOOKS AMAZING. What troubled me was the PS3 motion controller. IT WORKS EXACTLY LIKE THE WII MOTION PLUS. The archery demo they showed worked just like the one that Nintendo demoed with Wii Sports Resort.   "

Although it seems to be similar I see much more potential coming from the PS3 version. Specifically I expect that we will see much grittier games and games that aren't just gimmicky waggle controls. A fantasy hack and slash based around the sword and shield + bow tech would be an amazingly fun game. 

CharlieTuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CharlieTuna
@AgentJ said:
God of War 3. Was it just me, or was every enemy reaction delayed? Looks like they added some new powers and such, but i haven't been a big GOW fan in the first place, and it looks like much of the same. While i'm sure many people will enjoy the game, im not exactly psyched. At least they didnt show another cutscene.
He was playing it on easy, the gow games never shine on easy.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AgentJ
@Deevo said:
"
@Protoroll said:
" What surprised me was Golden Sun DS. HOLY SHIT BATMAN THAT GAME LOOKS AMAZING. What troubled me was the PS3 motion controller. IT WORKS EXACTLY LIKE THE WII MOTION PLUS. The archery demo they showed worked just like the one that Nintendo demoed with Wii Sports Resort.   "

Although it seems to be similar I see much more potential coming from the PS3 version. Specifically I expect that we will see much grittier games and games that aren't just gimmicky waggle controls. A fantasy hack and slash based around the sword and shield + bow tech would be an amazingly fun game. 

"
Well you should be looking forward to Red Steel 2 then. It doesnt have a shield but everything else you asked for is available in that game
halberdierv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By halberdierv2

GS3 FTW!

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#19  Edited By Tireyo

Super Mario Galaxy 2 probably is unnecessary, but it'll be good though! :) I still wanted my F-Zero, Starfox, and my Zelda game! :(

matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#20  Edited By matthew
@Diamond said:
" The footage of Trico / The Last Guardian was NOT old.  Everything had way better graphics (refined) and there were a bunch of new scenes...  Easily one of my top picks from the presentations. "
I think he's talking about "old" because of the leaked footage from
three weeks ago!

It's crazy how quickly some people forget about material . . . I for one loved what Team ICO has put out there for us.  
Blind_Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By Blind_Evil

What lesson was there to be learned from FFXI?  It was the highest-populated pay-only MMO until WoW came out.  If you mean console-only crybabies that couldn't handle "missing" a game in "their" series, well...who takes that kind of thing seriously, really?

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#22  Edited By natetodamax

I was really disappointed that a lot of the games I'm excited for won't show at E3, or were shown in a lame amount (like a trailer we've already seen)

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ThomasP

The Golden Sun announcement was almost as exciting as Other M.

I am pretty happy about Galaxy 2. I can't wait to see how they build upon the original. New Super Mario Bros. Wii should be released at a reasonable price of $30... the game for the DS was excellent and four player co-op would be great. I'm sure there will be lots of extras in the game as well like different modes and competitions. Bowser's Inside Story is going to be great.

The FF XIV announcement was pretty surprising and Team ICO's game looks sick.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By vidiot
@AgentJ said:
" That doesnt seem right. I'd believe X and XI, but i remember when XII was announced. It was long after XI.  "
Alright Agent J.
I questioned my infallible memory, because I was feeling a bit awkward after typing that.

I was a bit wrong, at the same time surprised (It's good, your going to like what I found :P)  on my position that multiple final fantasy announcements is something that has been going on with Square for a while.

First let me elaborate:
I could have sworn that mention of XII was made during the announcement of X and XI. No gameplay, nothing feasible, just a recognition that development was set to go after the first two projects were made. Granted this was a very long time ago and my memory is not the best, but I'm sure it was done during the original announcement of X and XI in regards to the original announcement of PlayOnline. You might remember a tech demo of X using PlayOnline interface was shown. XII was formally announced a few years later with Yasumi Matsuno helming it, and you know the rest...

That bizzare memory of mine was Square's Millenium Event, back in January 2001. Square-EA was still doing publishing, which means that the third game that was announced during this event was NOT Final Fantasy XII...............

......But Final Fantasy IX.............

From the IGN article:

"The biggest surprise for me regarding
Final Fantasy IX was the change in the overall look of the game. While FFVII and VIII had a distinct, futuristic cyber-look to them, Final Fantasy IX, with Yoshitaka Amano returning, has more of a fantasy, swords and sorcery-type appeal. In terms of design, the game looks a lot like Chrono Cross with the pre-rendered backgrounds super-deformed character styles."

Yup. One event. Three continuous Final Fantasy reveals. I can't find an article online that dates farther from that point that is either just speculation, or very blurry pictures.

In retrospect it was horrible. The footage they showed of Final Fantasy X using PlayOnline never got off of concept. XI was all concept art.
eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By eclipsesis

FF11 was a big game, and loads of people bought it, i still think it has a following of about 4 million players. I think FF14 will be so much better, since the MMORPG has grown and become more popular with the public. Alos other MMO's like WoW, have kind of lost there charm now and are starting to show the effect time is having on them.

GOLDEN SUN !!!!!!!!!!!

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AgentJ
@eclipsesis said:
" FF11 was a big game, and loads of people bought it, i still think it has a following of about 4 million players. I think FF14 will be so much better, since the MMORPG has grown and become more popular with the public. Alos other MMO's like WoW, have kind of lost there charm now and are starting to show the effect time is having on them.GOLDEN SUN !!!!!!!!!!! "
GOLDEN SUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've been doing that for over a day now and it still hasnt gotten old. 
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By Jayge_

I agree with you about Gran Turismo Mobile. That game doesn't look fun to control at all. It's definitely not going to be the arcady super-responsive-type game that Midnight Club: LA Remix was.

I definitely disagree with your assessment of AC2. From what we already know of the game, it is already apparent that it has been overhauled and added to immensely, and we don't even know that much yet. I don't know what else you could really want out of it without changing it into a different game. What are you looking for out of it?

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AgentJ
@Jayge said:
" I agree with you about Gran Turismo Mobile. That game doesn't look fun to control at all. It's definitely not going to be the arcady super-responsive-type game that Midnight Club: LA Remix was.I definitely disagree with your assessment of AC2. From what we already know of the game, it is already apparent that it has been overhauled and added to immensely, and we don't even know that much yet. I don't know what else you could really want out of it without changing it into a different game. What are you looking for out of it? "
I dont really know actually. It certainly seems bigger, but moving through crowds is nearly the same, and i cant imagine the flying maching being used all that much. I expected more change, and obviously didnt get it.
the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#29  Edited By the8bitNacho
@AgentJ said:
" GOLDEN SUN! GOLDEN SUN! GOLDEN SUN! Also, no one has told me what the title of this blog post is a reference to yet

What Games Impressed me:
What games suprised me:

WTF SONY?
"
FFXIV is coming out in 2010.  There was no reason NOT to announce it at this E3.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By AgentJ
@Kombat:
Square Enix is stepping on the toes of their own titles by showing so many FF titles at once. They should have moved the release date back (we all know that every MMO could use more dev time) and announced it next year instead. 
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TwoOneFive

Uh... I just downloaded the Gran Turismo 5 trailer off of PSN in 1080p. 

I can assure you that was all in-game. You can definitely tell. Especially during the NASCAR part. Which is totally awesome, GT will show EA how its done. 

Also that wasnt the same Trico footage, they've improved the graphics a TON! It looked breathtaking!
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By AgentJ
@TwoOneFive said:
" Uh... I just downloaded the Gran Turismo 5 trailer off of PSN in 1080p. 
I can assure you that was all in-game. You can definitely tell. Especially during the NASCAR part. Which is totally awesome, GT will show EA how its done. 

Also that wasnt the same Trico footage, they've improved the graphics a TON! It looked breathtaking!
"
You misunderstood me. I didnt mean that it didnt look like real footage, i meant that it doesnt quite look like real life yet. It's ooh so close though. So in other words, it was a compliment.

How did they improve the graphics of the Trico trailer in less than three weeks? LIke i said earlier i didnt watch the whole thing. I stopped after i realized i was watching the same footage as before (which as i hear not all of it was)
AllanIceman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By AllanIceman

There is a few trailers of Heavy Rain released at E3.  Also,  there is a 10-15 gameplay demo of the game over at GS.  I am really excited for this game.