What Type of MTG Format Should The GBCER FNM Be?

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

thatpinguino  Staff

Poll What Type of MTG Format Should The GBCER FNM Be? (97 votes)

Draft 65%
Standard 14%
Modern 21%

On April 10th the Giant Bomb Community Endurance Run is going to be running a Friday Night Magic after Unprofessional Fridays! The event is going to be run through Cockatrice to give us maximum flexibility and control while keeping participation completely free. There's just one issue, we don't know what format people would like to play. We could run a Dragons of Tarkir Draft, a Standard tournament, or a Modern Tournament (Legacy is a beast that a lot of people don't have experience with so I'm reluctant to go that crazy).

So let us know what type of FNM you would like to see! There are going to be prizes for the winner...

• 
Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

Personally I'm a big fan of Draft for a fun-time casual tournament. It helps keep some real variety to things because of its unpredictability.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

I dunno, Standard I guess? Draft is way too complex and Standard is easier to netdeck than Modern? Actually I have no idea what the format is like right now.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 thatpinguino  Staff

Dragons of Tarkir is being released a week before the gbcer so all of these formats will be in pretty big flux based on the influx of new cards. I would personally love to do standard because of how many rogue decks there can be at the beginning of a new standard release.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Draft of course! Definitely would love to get my first DTK draft in for this event.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 thatpinguino  Staff

@bollard: Yeah drafting would be fun, but dragon infested Standard sounds good too. April 10th will be the best time for shenanigans because of how little testing time people have. But then again the drafting will be weird either way so that could be fun too.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 thatpinguino  Staff

Well its looking like Draft is a heavy favorite. Time to get a test draft going on Cockatrice!

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By jakob187

FUCK! I didn't even know this was a thing!

What time is all this going down? I play FNMs at my local shop on Fridays, and I wouldn't mind actually participating in this. However, ya know...if it were to overlap with actual FNM, that wouldn't work for me. I NEED ALL THE PROMO HORDELING OUTBURSTS!

Also, I mean, I prefer Standard, but I also love the shit out of Draft.

I'll have to download Cockatrice and start playing with some of you duders!

If we ever DID play Standard, this is what I'm currently running (I've actually moved up to 3 Courser of Kruphix and 3 Whisperwood Elemental, took out Sagu Mauler and Stubborn Denial).

Loading Video...

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 thatpinguino  Staff

@jakob187: This is definitely a thing! It is going to kick off after UPF on April 10th so it could interfere with your local FNM. However, this event is helping the children and we have hot prizes as well.

Also the Royal Rumble that is following the FNM will be standard. Last person standing wins the GB MTG championship belt. You can't win a GB Royal Rumble championship belt from a local FNM!

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thatpinguino: Is there a link to a main thread or anything? This is the first I'm seeing about this at all. I'd see if I could make an appearance or two.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 thatpinguino  Staff

@jakob187: Yeah the link on the front page is the one you want. I'm thinking of making a thread for the Royal Rumble as well so I can get a list of people who want in.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jakob187

Well, now that I've seen the main-ish thread, I want in for sure. April 10th absolutely works for me, as I'll still be tweaking my Standard deck IRL, so I won't be taking it to FNM until I know it is smooth. Assault Formation just seems way too damn strong to not test with. LOL

Just hook me up with info. I'll be down.

Also, might I recommend that the draft be set up for 3 packs of Dragons, 2 packs of Fate, and 1 pack of Khans? I've found in mock stuff so far that it's a great combo to play with. I also tried going 4 Dragons, 2 Fate...and that was alright, but the 1 pack of Khans throws some crazy shenanigans in there.

Mind you, I haven't played Draft at all on Cockatrice, so I don't really know how that works at all. Maybe my suggestion doesn't even work. = /

As for the Royal Rumble, I'm also absolutely down for that!

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 thatpinguino  Staff

@jakob187: I was thinking the draft would be a regular draft, not a sealed. So it would be Fate, Dragons, Dragons. The rumble will be standard though. I'm not sure if it will be best of 3 per matchup or best of 1 since there will only ever be two people playing it could take a while if it was best of 3. I have an FF9 speed run the next day and I can't have the rumble run too far into Saturday morning.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

People who don't vote draft hate fun.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thatpinguino: So I just realized that April 11th is my brother's wedding, and I'm the best man. I keep forgetting that because they haven't gotten anything done for it so far.

I actually CAN'T participate at all. I'm sorry for all the ruckus.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By thatpinguino  Staff

@jakob187: I'm sorry and congratulations! There should be archives either way so you won't miss much.

@iburningstar: Dragons Standard looks fun though!

nicolenomicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I would totally enter a GB Legacy tournament if that was a thing, but I can see why you wouldn't do that.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 thatpinguino  Staff

@sl33tbl1nd: Yeah our judge for this event is versed in the basics of MTG and some of the more advanced stuff, but an accurate Legacy judge needs to be on point. Also I don't think there are enough Legacy players on the forums to fill an 8 person event, let alone a crazier tournament. Legacy is just a bit too much overhead for an event like this and cockatrice makes running it even harder without a dedicated judge for each match.

However, you should still totally sign up for the FNM and the Royal Rumble! I have an exciting announcement for both events this afternoon and the whole thing is going to be fun! Khans block has been the most fun and balanced limited environment I've played since Time Spiral and I'm excited to play some with community duders.

nicolenomicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By nicolenomicon

@thatpinguino: I only really play Legacy. Other formats don't really do it for me. I appreciate the offer, and I hope you get a lot of entrants/raise a bunch of money!

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 thatpinguino  Staff

@sl33tbl1nd: well be sure to tune in to the fnm and the rumble! Someone is going to be named the GB MTG champion. I hope it's me, I write enough on the subject.

Also anyone can sign up for the fnm and the rumble so long as they donate as an "entrance fee." So spread the word! The winner of the fnm gets a Dragons of Tarkir fat pack and the winner of the rumble gets a championship belt.

nicolenomicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By fattony12000

I like Modern!

I'm terrible at Draft!

Draft would be the Most Fun, probably! Especially if people are watching live and commenting!

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 thatpinguino  Staff

@fattony12000: I plan on commentating until I have to drop off for the Greg Kasavin interview. If we don't get enough people for draft or we don't have enough players to support a full draft, I'll have to come up with an alternative limited format. I'm sure it will be fun either way.

devise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Draft would make the most sense. Especially since everyone can get any card, it'd just be a series of top online decks. With draft we get some strategy and deck building elements. Just a matter of figuring out which set we'd draft from.

lemonadepack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

No Tiny Leaders option? Aww man