• 84 results
#1 Posted by Lelcar (1189 posts) -

...Or just bought a few times or have fond memories of?

I was way into PSM and Nintendo Power mostly, but I bought the odd EGM, Game Players, etc.One time I went to England as a kid and picked up a British video game mag. I forget what it was called though.

I still have my whole stack. My two favourite issues are the Final Fantasy IV (II) cover, and the 100th cover of Nintendo Power. I used to always pick up the news Sonic the Hedgehog Archie comic when I got a magazine.

#2 Edited by Shindig (4835 posts) -

I used to get the occasional Amstrad Action.

#3 Posted by GERALTITUDE (5988 posts) -

I never subscribed.. Used to read the magazines sitting on the grocery store floor or beg mom and dad for an issue now and again. Looking back at the stacks in my garage recently PSM sticks out a lot. Those guys were really funny.

#4 Posted by glots (4250 posts) -

Still 'am and have been since 1996, to a local Finnish one. Good writers and interesting articles are what keep me subscribed to it. I've also been subbed to at least one "pure" gaming magazine in the past, which was mostly garbage and consisted of badly translated text, but it came with monthly demo discs, back when the internet definetly wasn't a thing (for me at least).

#5 Edited by BradBrains (2257 posts) -

nintendo power from 1990 until the early gamecube era was the only one i subscribed to.

though did buy a bunch of gamepro and offical playstation magazines in the 90s.

#6 Edited by BabyChooChoo (7089 posts) -

I had a Nintendo Power subscription for almost a decade I think. Had Game Informer for about 5ish years. I don't remember how long I was subscribed to XBM, but I remember having quite a few of those hanging around.

My brother was subscribed to PSM for a while and I used to browse through those quite often. I was particularly fond of the summer issues featuring Adam Warren's artwork. Yuuuuuuuuuup, god bless that man.

I threw out all of 'em right before I moved. I sometimes regret it just because every now and then I think it'd be cool to browse through 'em, but the little bit of free space I get by not having to deal with it seems like a fair trade.

#7 Edited by John1912 (2504 posts) -

EGM is the only one I ever bought a subscription to, and that was like 10 years ago I feel like. Ive had Game Informer off and on over the past 10 years from signing up for BS at Gamestop.

#8 Posted by Guesty_01 (383 posts) -

Edge for like a year or so, and GamesTM for about 5 years.

#9 Posted by officer_falcon (526 posts) -

I had a subscription to Nintendo Power for maybe like 3 years or so. I never had an actual subscription to EGM but I've picked up a few copies over the years.

#10 Posted by Milkman (19262 posts) -

I subscribed to Nintendo Power for a long time. I wonder where all those magazines are. Probably got thrown out at some point. Eventually, I moved on to Game Informer for a little while until I realized "oh right, the fucking internet exists."

#11 Edited by Lelcar (1189 posts) -

though did buy a bunch of gamepro and offical playstation magazines in the 90s.

I remember OPM being like the widest magazine and it would always stick out in the stack. The taller and thinner mags bugged me.

#12 Posted by Vamino (284 posts) -

I used to subscribe to an Aussie mag called Hyper for.. God, I don't know how many years. Then, eventually, their editing went to shit and I cancelled. Finding a spelling/grammatical error on every page was depressing to me. Also the large shift of staff over the years, so that the people I knew were no longer there meant I wasn't as invested in the opinions.

GamesTM was also great for a time, I used to buy it monthly though never subbed.

#13 Posted by gr8kamon (28 posts) -

EGM was the only subscription. I still remember waiting until the issue and flipping to the back to see what got Game of the Month and whatnot. I still have most of the issues I got from 1999, the first year I subscribed, to when it ended in 2009. It's fun to go back and see old issues I remember going crazy over, my favorite being the GameCube vs Xbox one.

#14 Posted by MATATAT (1224 posts) -

I like your choice to use "were". I used to buy OPM occasionally. Then I had a sub to GI for a long time pretty much for no reason. I enjoyed the magazine but I was pretty much reading it because I was getting them all the time.

#15 Edited by Dave_Tacitus (2438 posts) -

This dates me: Your Sinclair, C.R.A.S.H, World of Spectrum - The only one I subscribed to (I think, it was 30 years ago!) was YS, but I bought the other two all the time.

You can find scans online and, reading them again, some of the writing wouldn't make it into a school magazine. It was all we had, though.

#16 Edited by Shindig (4835 posts) -

I remember getting some PCZones from back when Charlie Brooker and Rihanna Pratchett wrote for them.

#17 Posted by Zeds_Dead_Baby (87 posts) -

Nintendo Power was the only one I was ever subscribed to (well my parents for me). Wish I still had them, they would be great in my bathroom magazine rack.

#18 Posted by EuanDewar (5160 posts) -

I used to buy Gamesmaster magazine with the frequency of a subscriber but never actually subscribed to it. Not sure why, maybe it's cause I was quite young and didn't quite understand the point? Who knows.

That magazine is still going and every now and then I'll see it in the shops and pick up a copy. I do that with a lot of British games magazines actually. They all seem to have a lightness (and Britishness) of tone that I find very charming.

#19 Posted by justatippler (28 posts) -

The only sub I ever had was to EGM, but that ran out in 2000 or so and I never re-subbed. I was also a regular reader of Next Generation (I still feel that was the best print games mag ever) and enjoyed the odd issue of Ultra Game Players and Game Fan.

#20 Edited by Corevi (6796 posts) -

Nintendo Power was my first but I quickly transitioned to PC Gamer. Gamespot removed my need for magazines but I still liked getting the demo discs.

#21 Edited by Karkarov (3385 posts) -

At one point or another I have had subscriptions to Nintendo Power (there was a time I even owned every issue), Gamepro, Gamefan, Electronic Gaming Monthly (aka EGM), PC Gamer, and even Game Informer. The ones I actually have fond memories of though? Mostly just Gamepro, Nintendo Power, and Gamefan.

#22 Edited by OneLoneClone (151 posts) -

just Next Generation.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
#23 Posted by ClairvoyantVibrations (1616 posts) -

Nintendo Power. I bought the 25th anniversary issue a few years back that had a bunch of cool interviews about the NES and a sweet 1-1 Poster. I really regret not buying the last issue. I loved that magazine as a kid.

#24 Posted by Sweep (10563 posts) -

EDGE remains one of the best videogame publications both online and off. I still buy them when I can. I don't have the patience for magazines, though.

#25 Posted by afabs515 (2005 posts) -

Nintendo Power for a year so I could get the Zelda Collector's Edition. Best decision I've ever made.

#26 Posted by PenguinPowered (44 posts) -

At this point the only magazine I sub to is PC Gamer though, like most other print magazines the overall percentage of its content that is ads continues to grow and with how much information there is on the internet the content that is there is becoming less and less relevant.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
#27 Posted by deactivated-5b031d0e868a5 (935 posts) -

EDGE magazine, only stopped recently too, I loved everything about that magazine from the reviews to the articles / features.

#28 Posted by oldenglishc (1544 posts) -

I subscribed to 'Play' for several years. There's a good chance I might have been their only customer.

#29 Edited by Stonyman65 (3800 posts) -

People still read magazines?!
I used to subscribe to Game Informer and PSM way back when, but I haven't seen of picked up one of those since.... Metal Gear Solid 3 came out. I specifically remember that was the last time I actively got a gaming magazine.

#30 Posted by ProfessorEss (7961 posts) -

I had a pretty long term subscription to EGM and one year I subbed to Edge but I think that's about it.

#31 Posted by Ninja_Welshman (597 posts) -

Hhhmmm.... lets see. Your Sinclair and Amiga Format from way back in the day. Up until the a year or so ago I subbed to Retro Gamer which is an amazing magazine. Seriously check it out. Now it's just Edge digital. They were my only subs but used to by Games Master religiously as well as Official PlayStation Magazine and Sega Saturn Magazine.

But then I got the internet and now only magazines for there long form articles. I really should re-up to Retro Gamer.

#32 Posted by ShaggE (9213 posts) -

Never subscribed, but I loved PC Gamer, GamePro, and EGM. Especially PC Gamer, because demo discs.

#33 Posted by forkboy (1650 posts) -

I've never been subscribed to a magazine.

But as a kid I used to get Gamesmaster semi-regularly. Also, Sega Power. And then in the Playstation era there was CVG & Official Playstation Magazine. Then after that phase I got into PC gaming much more & I picked up PC Zone & PC Gamer quite a lot. I really loved PC Zone, it had some enjoyable writers, like Charlie Brooker. And eventually I guess I bought Edge as I got even older. That's the only games magazine I buy these days, though I've not bought it in several years. I miss the column that Mr Biffo used to do for it.

Although now I've read that he wrote Pudsey The Movie, which Mark Kermode described as "nothing can explain (or excuse) the sheer skull-scraping ugliness of this relentlessly tacky Britain's Got Talent spin-off... If you paid to see this, you would feel duty-bound to demand your money back; I saw it for free and still wanted a refund."

#34 Edited by CornBREDX (7356 posts) -

I didn't often get video game magazines like some people around here, but I do hold fond memories of EGM, PC Gamer, and Game Informer.

Disney Adventures was another of my favorites as a kid. It's not specifically for games, but it advertised games and talked about video games so it's worth a mention. The February 94 edition is the last one I still own a copy of.

Aladdin is a classic. It was just coming out at the time.
Aladdin is a classic. It was just coming out at the time.
Crash Test Dummies. Less obviously, though, on the left is video game discussion/tips.
Crash Test Dummies. Less obviously, though, on the left is video game discussion/tips.
The cover.
The cover.

Sorry for how difficult it may be to see some stuff. I don't want to bend the pages, and also I am worried the binding will break. It's 20 years old at this point.

Sorry, too, if seeing my feet bothers you =P

I will try to take more if people actually care, but this was just a quick trip of nostalgia and I don't want to bend open these older book/magazines too much. Things being cheaply made didn't start recently =P

#35 Posted by Giantstalker (2401 posts) -

I totally own that game, on the best platform no less

If I remember correctly it's just a collection of dummy-themed minigames, I'll have to dig it out some time

#36 Posted by PerryVandell (2223 posts) -

I subscribed to Game Informer for several years before forgetting to resubscribe. Never really felt a pressing need to do so since except for occasional cover story that piques my interest.

#37 Posted by CornBREDX (7356 posts) -

@giantstalker: Ya, I had it on Gameboy. I actually remember it being a decent game (on Gameboy, I never played the other versions except maybe Nintendo).

I remember mostly the one mini game where you jump off the roof of a building and have to land on window awnings all the way down.

#38 Edited by MattyFTM (14884 posts) -

The first gaming magazine I subscribed to was called PlayStation Solutions. It did all sorts of guides and hints/tips for the latest games. Now I was a kid with no money, so I hardly ever had any of these games that they did guides to, but I still loved reading the guides in that magazine for some reason. I was a weird kid.

Then I moved onto a Playstation magazine aimed at kids. I can't remember what it was called. It featured a cartoon dog and had a fair amount of toilet humour. It had a section called "Talking Poo" which was about shitty games. They did a redesign and became slightly edgier and aimed at a slightly older audience (more teenagers rather than younger kids) and then it shortly vanished off the face of the earth (I stopped subscribing at some point, so I don't know what happened. It just stopped being available in stores). That's pretty much everything I remember about it. Damnit, why can't I remember it's name!!!

After that I flipped between PLAY and the Official Playstation Magazine, but I don't think I actually subscribed to either. At this point the internet was getting big and I was getting most of my gaming stuff online. OPM had demo discs, though. Demo discs were awesome.

#39 Edited by BigBoss1911 (2929 posts) -

PSM and OXM from beginning of 2005 till 2008ish. PSM was a great magazine for its time, staff had a fantastic sense of humor like the GB crew. Had Game Informer for a year while subscribed to Gamestops platinum players card or whatever its called these days, wasn't really a fan of it.

#40 Posted by 71Ranchero (3419 posts) -

I subscribed to Gamefan for the hard hitting news and journalism. They had a 14 page screenshot gallery of Battle Monsters for the Sega Saturn with no accompanying text at all that blew the games industry wide open.

#41 Posted by mems1224 (2495 posts) -

I've subscribed to Game Informer for most of the last 20ish years(still do). Also subscribed to Game Pro, OXM, Tips & Tricks and EGM at one point or another

#42 Edited by ajamafalous (13812 posts) -

Had Nintendo Power in elementary school, then Game Informer in middle school.

#43 Posted by PenguinDust (13082 posts) -

I had a subscription to quite a few over the years. AtariAge, Atari ST Review, EGM, PC Gamer, PC Accelerator, OXM, Game Informer... And on top of that, I'd frequently buy loose magazines from the bookstore or software retailer.

PC Accelerator was my favorite, although it was short lived. Every issue was hilarious.

#44 Posted by audioBusting (2558 posts) -

I used to regularly pick up new issues of an Indonesian games magazine called Gamestation. It was a fun magazine that tried to surface their personalities more prominently and interact with the readers as they could. Every editor had their own cartoon representations and nicknames and all. At some point, they even distributed (by CD) a pretty lengthy RPG Maker fan game someone made featuring the editors and in-jokes. Now I kinda want to look those old issues up to see if they hold up.

#45 Posted by Turtlebird95 (3618 posts) -

I remember being subscribed to Playstation magazine back around the time the PS3 came out. It was pretty weird considering I didn't get a PS2 until 2006 and had absolutely no intention of getting a PS3. I was also subscribed to Game Informer for awhile. Well, I wasn't, but my brother was and I just read the issues. Those were pretty good but they became useless after I started being more internet savvy with game news. I really miss the Game Over Questionaires at the end of every issue, though. Those were always fun with friends.

As for magazines I'd buy, Nintendo Power and Official Xbox Magazine come to mind. Nintendo Power was great but that publication really declined in quality towards its later years sadly. Xbox magazine was pretty cool but once they stopped releasing demo discs, I stopped buying the issues.

#46 Edited by FLStyle (6589 posts) -

PSM2, which later became PSM3, shut down by Future Publishing before it could become PSM4 :(

#47 Posted by InfiniteSpark (389 posts) -

EGM for five years. Started my subscription with them soon after I got my Nintendo 64 in 1997.

I also subscribed with EGM2 for a year and with Nintendo Power for three years.

#48 Posted by Zefpunk (807 posts) -

Gamepro all day 'erry day

#49 Posted by Brodehouse (10812 posts) -

GamePro and Nintendo Power in the mid 90s. Covers etched in my mind. WEAPONLORD.

#50 Edited by bdhurkett (191 posts) -

I used to get PC PowerPlay (an Australian PC games magazine), though I was never subscribed - I'd just buy it occasionally when something on the included CD/DVD looked particularly cool. A decade after I last bought it, I've long thrown away the discs, but the magazines are still interesting from a history/nostalgia point of view.