What Video Game Magazine Were You Subscribed to?

• 84 results
KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

I've been getting Game Informer on and off for years. I also had GamePro back in the day. However, PSM was my favorite mag, hands down. So much so that I continued to subscribe to them after the release of the PS3, which I did not purchase until two years ago. Their stuff was always amusing and informative, and full of personality that most other mags lacked. I was bummed when everyone left and the mag became PSOM or whatever. At that point I kinda stopped caring about gaming mags that much.

Bleshoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I work for a company that distributes magazines, so I get them all for free.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

EGM and Tips & Tricks, gave me everything I would ever need.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I was subscribed to Nintendo Power and Game Informer for a few years. I remember being kind of blown away by the Red Steel reveal at one point thinking "this will the future of console shooters!" but then of course the actual game came out... double bummer for me because the game sucked and console shooters continued moving in a direction I didn't care for.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Video Games and Computer Entertainment at first, then some Gamepro and EGM.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#56  Edited By Slag

I've had Nintendo Power, Official Playstation Magazine, GamePro, EGM

and of course Game Informer. I think I still get GI but it goes to my Spam folder.

AttackedCamo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I subscribed to a bunch of gaming magazines over the years. I had subscriptions too Tips & Tricks, GameNOW, EGM, GMR (EB Games magazine before GameStop bought them out.), OXM and Game Informer. Bummed that I just recently got rid of all of them now...

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

I was subscribed to:

PC Accelerator - had all of em', but they were ruined during a move. I still have most of the demo discs.

Next Generation - I was subscribed for a few years, around 1996 to 1998.

PC Gamer - Coconut Monkey, y'all.

Beyond that, I had some magazines from Tips & Tricks, Nintendo Power, EGM, and PC Games which were bought individually. I think Tips & Tricks was the first gaming magazine I ever bought.

Had some BradyGames strategy guides for Mortal Kombat 3 and NBA Jam too.

Zleunamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#59  Edited By Zleunamme

I never subscribed but I kept buying issues of Official Playstation Magazine during their Ziff Davis run. From 2002 to its last issue in 2006. I really liked the layouts, features and the editorial content more than the demos that came with the magazines. After OPM shut down, I bought a few issues of EGM but went to 1UP more often.

The only video game magazine subscription I have is Game Informer because of Game Stop. I really hated the magazine during the early 2000s. The magazine was preoccupied with toilet humor and abuse of photoshop. The covers were cluttered with heavy text. The layouts were horribly designed and screen shot of games were used to take up as much white space as possible. It was an ugly magazine to read through. GI went through a redesign in 2009 and it has gotten a lot better since.

It depressing that most gaming magazines do not exist anymore. There is nothing quite like the touch of nice quality paper in your hands and have some thing interesting to read. Maybe print will come back one day if it wasn't expensive to those type of magazines to be generated.

Avatar image for deactivated-633b51f58caf2
deactivated-633b51f58caf2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OG Nintendo Power, OG EGM, Game Players, Next Generation, OG GameFan, PSM, Gamer's Republic, Play, New Nintendo Power, GameGo! (all one issue of it), and New EGM. I'm probably missing a few. I used to buy Gamepro, Video Games & Computer Entertainment, and Edge regularly, but never subscribed. I also used to receive issues of Atari Age and Turbo Play, although I'm positive I never subscribed to either.

Edit: forgot Official Dreamcast Magazine

And I guess according to their website, GameFan is coming back again this month? Weird.

DuncanKeller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got nintendo power for quite some time. I always looked forward to getting a new issue. Sometimes they would have codes to get cool stuff in Animal Crossing on the Gamecube.

TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was ugp a magazine, like...ultra game players or something like that, a disc full of trailers and stuff came with it.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't subscribe but regularly bought Amstrad Action when that system was on the way out. And PCZone back when Charlie Brooker and Rhianna Pratchett wrote for them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#66 fisk0  Moderator

The only game magazine I subscribed to over the course of maybe 8 or 9 years was the Swedish edition of PC Gamer. Between 1998 and 2002 I bought a few other magazines somewhat regularly too - the Danish magazines PC Player and K-Spel, and the Swedish Spel för Alla and Aftonbladet IT for the brief period (1997-98 I think?) it was a stand-alone paper instead of just a section of the tabloid Aftonbladet.

In recent years I very rarely buy magazines. I bought the first issue of Fienden, a Swedish magazine focused on long form academic writing about games, I picked up a few issues of the free magazine GameReactor which was distributed by the GAME store chain (which has since filed for bankruptcy) and bought exactly one issue of Level, which seems to be affiliated with both the Swedish IGN and Eurogamer somehow.

Growing up I also read some Byte Magazine and PC Magazine (the American magazines), none of which were focused on games, but which dedicated a lot of time on the original Doom, Quake, Myst and Unreal because of their at the time photorealistic graphics.

rkofan87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By rkofan87

i sub too egm game pro np oxm and opm i got rid of my old mags years back i regret to this day.

ghozt2014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By ghozt2014

@mattyftm said:

The first gaming magazine I subscribed to was called PlayStation Solutions. It did all sorts of guides and hints/tips for the latest games. Now I was a kid with no money, so I hardly ever had any of these games that they did guides to, but I still loved reading the guides in that magazine for some reason. I was a weird kid.

Then I moved onto a Playstation magazine aimed at kids. I can't remember what it was called. It featured a cartoon dog and had a fair amount of toilet humour. It had a section called "Talking Poo" which was about shitty games. They did a redesign and became slightly edgier and aimed at a slightly older audience (more teenagers rather than younger kids) and then it shortly vanished off the face of the earth (I stopped subscribing at some point, so I don't know what happened. It just stopped being available in stores). That's pretty much everything I remember about it. Damnit, why can't I remember it's name!!!

After that I flipped between PLAY and the Official Playstation Magazine, but I don't think I actually subscribed to either. At this point the internet was getting big and I was getting most of my gaming stuff online. OPM had demo discs, though. Demo discs were awesome.

Man, I can totally relate to what you said about reading all the guides in the magazine and knowing full well I was never going to ever play said game. That is weird isn't it. We were that fascinated by video games. Anything that had something to do with video games ALWAYS had my full 100% attention, I guess that is why I am so passionate about computer programming and game development.

Anyways...back on topic. I too read a bunch of the video game magazines while growing up, even though it was only in spare time when my parents were, like someone said earlier, grocery shopping and would be found sitting on the floor in the magazine/book section, at the bookstore, etc.

It was not until I got into my twenties that I subscribed to my first gaming magazine, which was "Game Informer" in 2010. Reason being was probably because I was making my own money. I still have that subscription today and enjoy reading the whole magazine cover to cover every single month. For some strange odd reason, I will sit there and read every little article and cover story regardless if I like the game or subject that is presented. I guess it is the meticulous, perfectionist, geek in me.

UnintendedBM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gamepro and Nintendo Power, but mostly just Gamepro.

Entreri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

For me it was Game Informer mostly... for a little while I was subscribed to GamePro and PCGamer.

BayernBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never subscribed but I would go to Barnes & Noble regularly to get PSM (I think I'm remembering that right?) and EGM. Those demo discs were the best. The amount of time I put into the MGS1 demo was unreal.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I took over my brother's subscription to Nintendo Power so we have around 10 years worth of those. Other than that, I was subscribed to whatever that magazine that came with the EB Edge card was (before EB fully turned into Gamestop) because it was included. That Edge card paid for itself easily so I had that magazine for a year or two.

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

Let's see...

Tips & Tricks before they went under.

Nintendo Power back around 2002-04 or so.

Game Informer from probably 2006 or so to now.

Can't remember if I ever subscribed to GamePro or if I just bought a magazine every now and then.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Mostly PSM and EGM. Would get the Game Informer when I was a GameStop premium member thing but haven't renewed for a good while.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like not many got GameFan. Curious why, maybe it was the higher price? It was certainly one of the better(if not the best) multi-platform mags around back in the day.

regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#76  Edited By regularassmilk

@giantstalker: Crash Test Dummies (on SNES, anyway) was a fairly weird platformer. I used to rent it a lot as a kid.

and anyway, I had a sub to GamePro forever, and I thought it was the shit. I would cover-to-cover it a couple times, and just stare at previews. I remember looking at screens for The Simpsons Hit & Run and going to school the next day and telling my friend Devon (who subbed to Game Informer I think) about all the made-up shit I accidentally inferred from the screens. I wasn't privy to really any forums at that point, so between GamePro and a couple of TechTV shows, that was my whole gaming world!

The first forum I ever belonged to was on the GamePro site, and when I first got into Giant Bomb shortly after launch, I made a post about the site in the forums. A couple months later, some guy PM'd me on GB saying thanks for showing him GB, and that he had hacked the GamePro site and messed everything up. And he did.

As an eighth-grader or so, I was freaked out. I thought I had somehow put myself in league with CYBERCRIMINALS

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#77  Edited By monkeyking1969

I subscribed to a number of magazines over the years. So here is a list, but in no particular order. Most of them I subscribed to for three or four years. I had the full run of Next Generation and PSM, but I got rid of them when I was moving a lot.

PC Gamer

Next Generation

PSM

PSX

Game Pro

Gamers Republic (something like that...)

Official PlayStation Magazine

Game Informer

EGM (original)

EGM (reboot)

Official Dreamcast Magazine

Official Xbox Magazine

Play

Currently, I only get Edge...it the only one still around that is decent to read.

justicejanitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By justicejanitor

I was subscribed to Nintendo Power from the N64 days until around the mid-point of the GameCube's life cycle. At that point, I had access to "high-speed"(at the time) internet and didn't see the usefulness of a paper magazines. When it was relevant in my life, Nintendo Power was the best thing ever.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

i never subscribed to any magazines of any kind but there was a magazin called game reactor, it was free in block buster where most of it was all game magazin and review and what not of games "gear" and tradeshows like E3 and then the last few pages where full of adds for movies and block buster related items. so i would pick it up when a new issue was out.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The Ziff-Davis Media run of Official PlayStation Magazine since the Metal Gear Solid 3 issue. I unfortunately foolishly threw away most of the magazines, but kept the ones that had games that I really liked featured on the cover and kept all of the demo discs that I got up until the last issue.

Other than that, Game Informer during the time when I used to do a lot of shopping at GameStop as a teenager. And I had a few Tips & Tricks magazines in the early 2000's when broadband internet was becoming a thing.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Ry_Ry

Nintendo Power from 97-1999

EGM from 98-2003

OXM, OPM & NextGen I would pick up on occasion, but I don't think I ever got them monthly.

I apparently also get GameInformer. I forget why.

snooski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By snooski

PSM was my go-to mag during the PS1 and PS2 eras. By the time PS3 came out I had long since fully migrated to getting my gaming news online. But I still have my original Playstation with this PSM sticker on the lid.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had GameInformer for a few years starting back from 2004

triplestan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was an EGM subscriber from around 2005 to its sad demise. The Future mandated switch to a Maxim subscription still stings on an emotional level.