#1 Posted by AssInAss (3302 posts) -

After recently watching the Sol Exodus Quick Look, I got to remembering this space sim combat FPS (you could also go 3rd person) which came as a demo on every Windows...98? I've been looking for it for years, no dice. Every Windows had it as a free demo, it had great graphics for its time, and lots of battle chatter. I remember a lot of purple.

Please help me!

#2 Posted by AjayRaz (12896 posts) -

the only thing that comes to mind is Microsoft Fury 3. though that doesn't really have a lot of purple.

#3 Posted by DrFidget (266 posts) -

Hellbender demo came with 95. Actually the sequel to Fury 3.

#4 Posted by AssInAss (3302 posts) -

Those look more like Descent than the game I'm thinking about, and the graphics on the game I'm remembering were way more advanced.

#5 Posted by mekon (509 posts) -

A lot of Novell networks (e.g. college/university size) had Windows running on them, Novell bundled in a copy of a 3d shooter called Netwars. I don't remember a 3d space game that came bundled with Windows.

#6 Posted by DrFidget (266 posts) -

Maybe Allegiance? I don't remember that as a demo on anything though.

#7 Posted by DeF (5432 posts) -

wasn't that just a screensaver? :D I remember something weird like that on Win95 or 98

#8 Posted by Spoonman671 (5874 posts) -

I don't know what that is, but there is that game Shattered Horizon that came out a little more recently.  Of course, that's actual people jumping around in space, not ships.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
#9 Edited by WilltheMagicAsian (1548 posts) -
#10 Posted by Crixaliz (809 posts) -
Avatar image for willthemagicasian
#11 Posted by WilltheMagicAsian (1548 posts) -
#12 Posted by AssInAss (3302 posts) -

@WilltheMagicAsian said:

Actually, was it Sky Roads?

lol I remember us classmates used to play that ALL THE TIME in Computer class! So addictive!

Sadly, it's not any of these games. It's First Person, 3D. The graphics for this game were pretty close to Sol Exodus, even though it's quite an old game. Full-on space skybox, dog-fighting, just like Sol Exodus.

Keep on with the suggestions! We'll find it eventually!

Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
#13 Edited by deactivated-590b7522e5236 (1918 posts) -

Tachyon: the fringe? i remember getting the demo for that with my win 98

actually, maybe i got it with a flight stick

#14 Edited by Bantex (23 posts) -

Maybe StarLancer? Atleast it was published by Microsoft.

#15 Posted by Jaqen_HGhar (1368 posts) -

While I doubt this is right, I am going to throw Freespace out there. Just because it hasn't been mentioned yet, and every thread should have more Freespace. FREESPACE!

#16 Posted by AssInAss (3302 posts) -

@Bantex said:

Maybe StarLancer? Atleast it was published by Microsoft.

Very close, pretty much in the same vein.

#17 Posted by OllyOxenFree (5015 posts) -
@DeF said:

wasn't that just a screensaver? :D I remember something weird like that on Win95 or 98

I'm with this dude. I remember there being some kind of screensaver akin to what the OP is talking about. Used to stare at it during class a lot.
#18 Edited by duzzloe (2 posts) -

@assinass Did it have a few factions including a purple factions whose symbol was an eyeball or something? I'm trying so hard to find an old space sim too. You did a training mission or something inside of a stationary turret early on.

#19 Posted by duzzloe (2 posts) -

I just remembered it. It's Darklight Conflict

#20 Posted by DasaKamov (1054 posts) -

I have no useful suggestions to add, as everyone's pretty much covered every Win95 space-shooter I can think of.

I only came to say *holy shit* what a muddy, non-sensical, pixellated mush Fury3 is. I remember playing through that demo a million times when I wasn't playing Warcraft 2, though!

#21 Posted by AssInAss (3302 posts) -

I asked this 6 years ago and it's still going lol. Starlancer and Tachyon The Fringe are the closest. It could actually have been Starlancer or Freelancer. Thank you everyone for the suggestions!

#22 Posted by Justin258 (15581 posts) -

@assinass: Was it Hover? That came free with Windows 95.

https://youtu.be/8pigv8bf_Mo

#23 Posted by kopcik (98 posts) -

Freelancer

Avatar image for lokihellfire2008
#24 Posted by lokihellfire2008 (159 posts) -

Freelancer is an amazing game. A classic. Ravens are OP.

#25 Posted by GruntGuru (1 posts) -

@assinass: I was also looking for this game for some time. I recently found it again. I believe it was Hellbender. If you're thinking of the same game I was anyway. it was on a Windows 95 game sampler disc.

Fingers crossed.

#26 Edited by Sweetz (1158 posts) -

I wanna say @drfidget had it right 6 years ago. Allegiance was a Microsoft developed and published game. Came out in 2000, so a little late for Win98, but you weren't sure on that, right? It did have a demo and did feature prominent chatter.

Amazingly someone picked up the rights to it and put it on Steam as a free game: https://store.steampowered.com/app/700480/Microsoft_Allegiance/

#27 Posted by icoangel (99 posts) -

I think I remember the demo your talking about. At first I was thinking it was descent but after looking at screen shots and other suggestions I think its Hellbender on win 95, if its the same one I was thinking about that is.