What was the first game to give you buyer's remorse?

• 129 results
iWonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By iWonder

I was digging through my closet and found this monstrosity.

No Caption Provided

I remember buying this game full price at a gamestop when it came out some years ago. I tried to enjoy it, I really did. The best way I can describe my feelings on that terrible game:

My rig wasn't great, so I can't blame the framerate.

The (beyond) shitty voice-work? Truly, my teeth did gyrate.

Though when I found the volume settings my hate did dissipate.

No race balancing was to be found - I did not player hate, for I did not play online at all.

I'm not an impulse buyer, but I guess it's a good thing this duder had buyer's remorse so late.

(And... well, the campaign was more nonexistent than lackluster. Not that you NEED a good story in a videogame for it to be good... it was just salt in the wound.)

It was pretty though, for the time, I guess.

What was your first game to give you buyer's remorse?

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Karl_Boss

Enter The Matrix

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By mylifeforAiur
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By zeforgotten

Man, I can't think of any at the moment. 
I would probably have to go back through all my games and check ones that were released like 4-5 years ago maybe?   
I could have gone with the easy one and say World of Warcraft but I didn't pay for the game or any of it's expansions, someone else did because I was needed in a guild all the time.  

Great, now I'm gonna be thinking about this for a few hours

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai
mano521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By mano521

lego star wars 2.

if buyers remorse were a lethal condition, that would have been ebola for me

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By mylifeforAiur

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

@mylifeforAiur said:

LittleBigPlanet.

The fuck is wrong with you?

The platforming isn't fun.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SomeDeliCook

The first game ever to give me buyers remorse? I really wouldn't be able to remember that I don't think. I always rented games until I got a job when I was 16, and by that time I had access to internet and could find out what games looked good through gameplay videos instead of just what the screenshots looked like on the back of the blockbuster case.

Been plenty of games I wish I didn't waste a weekend on renting though.

MasterGladden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MasterGladden

Please do not buy Naruto: Rise of A Ninja... It came out the day before Halloween in 2007 and has haunted me ever since

Etnos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Etnos

I think I've played 10 mins of Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning... and I'm seriously wondering if I should take it to gamestop(against my own principles) or just plain give it away to someone.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By GreggD

Blazblue. Fuck that game, and everyone who says it's any good.

matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By matthias2437

Shadowrun. First thought when I saw the first trailer saying how PC players can play against console players was "NOW I GET TO DESTROY SOME CONSOLE KIDS", even went out and pre-ordered it.... but then I actually played it and ohhhhhh boy was it bad.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RE_Player1

Rage.

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Hot_Karl

X-Men for the Genesis. I saved up money for that game when I was young & bought it at a second-hand store, thinking it'd be totally awesome AND IT WAS A PIECE OF SHIT

SoftOtaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SoftOtaku

Ultima IV: Exodus for NES. It may well be a good game, but I saved my allowance for months to buy it AND the guidebook, because the review in Nintendo Power made it sound AWESOME. But when I got it home and put it in, I didn't know what was going on. I was clearly not ready for RPGs yet. I'm still not.

koolzuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By koolzuru

Red Alert 3. I bought on launched and pay full price + shipping internationally (i live in Japan) and only play for a few hours.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SethMode

Either Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom for NES (weeks of allowence saving wasted) or X-Men for the NES. Both steaming piles, both incredibly attractive to a boy of 8 or so.

Legendary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Legendary

MvC3. Not even a year, not even a year...

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Kevin_Cogneto

@SethMode said:

Either Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom for NES (weeks of allowence saving wasted) or X-Men for the NES. Both steaming piles, both incredibly attractive to a boy of 8 or so.

I kind of loved Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, personally. Especially when you'd fall really far and he'd land and jiggle and make that "ooooh" sound...

Most of my NES games were gifts, I was too young to be buying them myself. SNES was really when I started spending my own money. I guess it must've been Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, that's really the only SNES game in my collection I can remember being disappointed by.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

@mylifeforAiur said:

LittleBigPlanet.

Same thought.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@msavo said:

Rage.

sadly true.

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By samfo

Spore

Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23  Edited By unsolvedparadox

The first one I can think of is Quake 3, what a letdown.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@mylifeforAiur said:

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

@mylifeforAiur said:

LittleBigPlanet.

The platforming isn't fun.

I agree. What is the fun in creating levels if the game itself is no good. The physics are terrible and the controls are poor. Taken as a platformer it's really bad.

Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Adamsons
@SamFo said:

Spore

Yep. 

I've bought and enjoyed some pretty bad games in my time, but Spore was just sheer unfulfilled potential.
bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By bigsocrates

@SethMode said:

X-Men for the NES.

Up until then I had SOMEHOW managed to buy games that were either stone cold classics (Gradius, the first game I bought with my own money) or at the very least memorable and fun (Bubble Bobble, probably overpriced for what you got, but I played the crap out of it)

LJN ended that streak with a vengeance.

If I played it today I could probably get further than I did as a kid, but back then I thought I must be doing something wrong because it just played like a whole lot of ass. What an awful game. I have bought a lot of crappy games because they were on sale or seemed cool since then, but X-men takes the cake in a lot of ways.

iWonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By iWonder

@matthias2437 said:

Shadowrun. First thought when I saw the first trailer saying how PC players can play against console players was "NOW I GET TO DESTROY SOME CONSOLE KIDS", even went out and pre-ordered it.... but then I actually played it and ohhhhhh boy was it bad.

I remember playing the demo for it and thinking it was pretty broken. Was the multiplayer just as bad?

iWonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By iWonder

@UnsolvedParadox said:

The first one I can think of is Quake 3, what a letdown.

What didn't you like about it?

matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By matthias2437

@iWonder said:

@matthias2437 said:

I remember playing the demo for it and thinking it was pretty broken. Was the multiplayer just as bad?

It had potential to be good but in the end the multiplayer was pretty bad. It's a shame to because I love the idea of console/PC crossover multiplayer.

Avatar image for whyareyoucrouchingspock
whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

More recently, probably Crysis 2. It was consolized like shit and nowere near as good as the original.

SSValis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SSValis

Alexander the game

Back then I didn't really research the game I would buy. I don't even like turned based RPGs and that game was terrible.

WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By WickedFather

Far Cry 2, Lost Planet, Bionic Commando Rearmed.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#33  Edited By jacksukeru

Pokemon Silver, since I already had Pokemon Gold I ended up not playing it much at all.

I also bought Pokemon Crystal when it came out, but at least that had some new stuff to see. Either way that was the last "generation" that I bought more than one game from.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By kindgineer

Hm, any game that refused to work/install on my system? I guess, at least recently, Modern Warfare 3. I don't buy a lot of games and steam has MW3 logged at 23 minutes because I just can't do it anymore.

nunsandroses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By nunsandroses

Why are y'all listing so many games that have come out in the last year or so? Have some people really not experienced buyer's remorse with a game until now? If so, man, are you lucky.

MostlyBearded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MostlyBearded
Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Rafaelfc

Gotham City Impostors... loved the game on the first few days. tried it again after not playing for about a week and online is already annoying as f*** never buying another online-focused FPS...

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Grillbar

Pain.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Superman 64. I didn't read reviews too much when I was younger, so I had no idea what I was in for. Man, that was my lawn-mowing money wasted.

More recently, I remember buying a Lego game a few years ago. I think it was Star Wars. That was my first and last Lego game. So boring and pointless.

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By BlatantNinja23

@GreggD said:

Blazblue. Fuck that game, and everyone who says it's any good.

but, but i love gorilla wheels that turn

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#41  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Interestingly enough, as a young kid around 11 years old, I made the mistake of getting Baldur's Gate II because I thought it was like Diablo. It was not Diablo, and the first dungeon in that game sucks, as anyone who has played the game can tell you. It wasn't until years later, when I knew what D&D rules were, that I actually bought the game again.

Also Far Cry 2. But that was after I had spent most of my chirstmas break playing it. Ugh. That game. So much remorse.

LaserLambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By LaserLambert

Resident Evil Deadly Silence, the port of RE1, I had just come off of playing RE4 for the Wii and it's GREAT controls, and then I saw that and bought it and was like ".....oh" when I played it.

konig_kei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By konig_kei

Crysis 2, brink and civ 5. Why civ 5 you say? I just find it boring, I shall stick to shogun 2 thank you very much.

mscupcakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#44  Edited By mscupcakes

I can't remember the first, but I remember feeling horrible after buying that Pac-Man game on the DS. I returned it straight away.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#45  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Mass Effect 2. I was supper confused and disappointed by the total fucking in the ass of everything Mass Effect set up. Sure, you can say it's the same universe, but it didn't feel like it was quite the same. The writing and non-plot missions (which is most of the game if you include the recruiting/loyalty missions, which I absolutely do) were pretty great, but the campaign lacked a flow to it, or any sense of anything you were doing having any sort of importance in the greater plot at hand.

Draxyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#46  Edited By Draxyle

Dragon Age Origins. Not a bad game by any means, but the NPC's that peddled DLC ruined the entire experience for me and made me sick for giving money to EA. Same thing with The Sims 3 when I discovered that the game was pretty paltry with content but somehow had hundreds of dollars worth of day one DLC available. No middle finger big enough.

Chantelise. I figured a game from the same makers as Recettear couldn't be bad, but.. eh, it has nowhere near the same charm and the gameplay is as mundane as you can get. Only a couple hours in though, but I'm not sure if I want to touch it again.

Valkyria Chronicles 2. Such a severe step down for the series, definitely did not belong on the PSP. Oh, and, "Ha hah ha ha ha! ha-ha! ha!", "Honestly".

Spyro, the first one. I tried to play it but I just felt.. bored. There just wasn't enough of a hook to keep me going.

It's hard to think of older stuff, probably because we loved whatever was shoved in front of us.

HolyHackZack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By HolyHackZack

@PrivateIronTFU: I clearly remember my thought process as a child "I can either get Star Fox 64, or I can get Superman 64 for almost a quarter of the price and maybe get another game too!". Luckily the other game I got was Metal Gear Solid, saving an otherwise terrible decision.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Nottle

I hardly ever return games. But Wario World was a little too short for my taste. I think I beat in a day or 2. It was fun but, yeah. No reason to keep it.

Slay3r1583

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Slay3r1583

The only recent one I can think of is this.

No Caption Provided

I did zero research on this game beforehand which is unlike me. I saw it in Gamestop and thought I like sexy anime ladies and shmups so this should be awesome. I was very wrong. It was the complete opposite of awesome.

Avatar image for james_giant_peach
James_Giant_Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MasterGladden said:

Please do not buy Naruto: Rise of A Ninja... It came out the day before Halloween in 2007 and has haunted me ever since

@matthias2437 said:

I love both of those games, weird.

For me, Lord of the Rings: Conquest.