What was your favourite game of 2019 where you play an animal that ruins the day of some humans?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Poll: What was your favourite game of 2019 where you play an animal that ruins the day of some humans? (31 votes)

Ape Out 16%
Untitled Goose Game 23%
N/A (did not play, or just want to see results) 61%
 • 
BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By BisonHero

So which of these 2 games did you like more?

For some reason, these 2 games exist very much in the same space in my head. Perhaps because they both focus on a single type of instrument, and their music escalates as you cause more trouble. Perhaps because they are both somewhat on the pricey end for an experience that is, at best, 3-6 hours long. Perhaps because they both have 4 main acts. Perhaps because they both have a final bonus task where you have to bust in, secure some precious cargo, then get all the way back out.

For myself, Ape Out never quite overstayed its welcome. Its 3rd and 4th "albums"/acts certainly start getting more difficult, and required a lot more retries, but I still enjoyed the thrill of the gameplay the whole way through. Moving around and walloping humans as a great ape is solid stuff, and it maintains a Hotline Miami-esque level of adrenaline. As Alex capably articulated on the GotY podcasts, the audio work they did on this game is great, and I'd say it's really emblematic of the link of gameplay, visuals, sound, and personal interactivity that a great game can capture.

On the other hand, I felt like Untitled Goose Game very much overstayed its welcome. In short, I had a good time with about the first 2 zones (the farmer's garden and the high street set of shops), and I felt like I was just kinda bored with the game and forcing myself to finish the 3rd and 4th zones. After a while, it felt like I was just going through the motions, and the central gameplay just didn't stay fun. The light classical piano soundtrack that picks up pace as you cause more trouble around humans is well done, but I remember most of my time with that game being silent, because despite the raucous chaos shown at the climax of most of the trailers for this game, your goal is to primarily never make much of a scene. Most of the time in that game, you're standing out of view of a human, waiting for them to go through their godforsaken simple AI loop so you can steal yet another object and place it somewhere it shouldn't be. Or perhaps you have to wait for the AI loop to instead honk in the middle of some human action so they screw it up. And god help you if you fuck up and let any human see the items that you have been stealing, because those assholes will activate their OCD and place every single misplaced object back in its One True Resting Place. That's the whole game, and it just gets tiring after a while. My core problem with this game might be how much of a dull stealth game it is. Goose Hitman should be hilariously fun, but every single adult human in the game is faster than you and just immediately overpowers you and grabs back any object they see you steal. Besides the one wimpy boy who you can (satisfyingly) bully a great deal, every other human is UTTERLY FEARLESS around this belligerent goose that you're controlling, and will stroll right up to your anserine ass and reset the world state and just make you waste more time watching the AI loop once again. It's infuriating after a while.

"Anserine" means "goose-like." Yes, I specifically looked it up just to use it while writing this post.

TheChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Disco Elysium, and that is only half joking.

wmoyer83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

They are both great games, but neither will reach the heights of Percy the Potty Pidgeon (google it)