What was your first console?

• 139 results
DeepSpace9MM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

My brother had an Atari 2600 that I played with some. Most of my time was spent playing Karateka on the Apple 2e, though. What a time to be alive.

steevl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I also started with an Atari 2600, probably when I was 6. Some friends of my parents brought one over and I played a lot of Combat and Breakout. A year later, my dad quit his job and we moved cross-country, and they softened the blow by buying us a 2600.

Later, while all my friends were getting the NES, I got a 7800. I don't regret that choice because I liked that system, but eventually my brother and I pooled our allowance money to get an NES.

Ungodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

A Nintendo with Super Mario/Duck Hunt, and then almost everything. My first grade class let us play the Atari when we did well though. So I usually say that I started with the Atari, and Pitfall was my first video game experience.

Avatar image for goodenoughforme
GoodEnoughForMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

An SNES with Super Mario world. My dad bought the SNES when I was like 3 or so when my parents and I were out at Toys R Us. It's kind of amazing in retrospect, because my dad has never known basically anything about video games, computers, etc.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Does a ZX81 count? Granted, it was a home computer rather than a console. An Astro Wars (Moon Cresta knock-off) mini cabinet? That only played one game so I guess not.

Strictly speaking, my first actual console was a used Mega Drive which I swapped a portable CD player for with a friend, having sold my Atari ST to part fund a kick-ass stereo.

pauljeremiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 1

My dad bought my older brother a Telesport SD 050C (just rolls off the tongue) I have never seen another one or know anyone else who had one, there isn't a wiki for it on GB. We only had two games for it. By the time I was four my Dad had bought both of an Atari VCS (the one that looks wooden like, very 70's). Then he got us a C64 and I bought an NES when I was eight.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Avatar image for bowl-of-lentils
Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

The first video game system I ever owned was also the Gamecube but I was playing my brother's Genesis and N64 way before that.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Mario/Duck Hunt combo NES.

an_ancient

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By an_ancient

Man, so many people had the legit thing.

I was reading through y'alls replies seeing if someone had what I had growing up. Only @richardqx was close.

Anyway and this is not bullshit. I had a "Genesis" that had NES games on it. It was some weird Russian import, bought from some bootsy-ass post-communist electronics flea market. And some follow bombers from that region might think it was this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminator_2_(console)

It wasn't that. Back then I thought that was the real shit. I knew what I got was the cheaper variant and yeah I've tried to ebay it, but could never find it. Not sure what happened to it either. The only reason I'm 100% it was a reused Genesis shell or a good copy was because of the power and reset buttons.

But I do remember it had Super Mario 1 on it, Space Invaders and Tanks(apparently called Battle City) and others. It had one of those 50 in 1 type of ROMs on it. All the cartridges were also black and genesis shaped, but they were NES games as far as I know from the few I lent and had lent to me by friends.

Other than that we had a "Brick Game" which had Tetris and Galiga I think.

hakunin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Sega Master System. The second one, with the SMS port of Sonic built in.

chaz934

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My first console was a Sega Genesis that was a hand-me-down from my cousin that I received in 1995 (I was born in '91, for reference). He also gave me Altered Beast, Golden Axe, Madden '94, NBA Jam, Street Fighter 2: Championship Edition, and Sonic 3 along with it. I ended up getting Toy Story, Aladdin, and Vectorman as well.

After that my parents got me a Playstation for Christmas 1998. Included was Crash Bandicoot 2 and Metal Gear Solid.

For my birthday in 1999 I got the Pikachu Edition Game Boy Color that was bundled with Pokemon Yellow (still one of my favorite gifts).

I got a Xbox with Halo: CE in summer '02 and a Gameboy Advance sometime in '03. I bought a Gamecube and a PS2 shortly thereafter with birthday money.

I remember my dad brought me to Best Buy on September 27th, 2007 and he bought me a 360 and Halo 3. I remember because it was 2 days after Halo 3 released.

When I got a landscaping job at age 17 I bought a N64 plus like 30 games over the course of a summer. I also bought a DS and 3DS at some point.

Finally, I bought a PS4 on launch day and my wife bought me an Xbox One randomly in June 2015.

Thanks for indulging my trip down memory lane.

cyberbloke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My first console was an Atari 2600. Then a Commodore Pet, a ZX Spectrum, an Atari ST and a Commodore 64.

I don't remember Nintendo being much of a thing in the UK, at least not among my friends.

I leant hard into PC gaming after that until family life got in the way and I turned to the PS3 and PS4.

paluchador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Intellivision, but I was really young, so I barely remember it. Pretty sure we had CongoBongo.

I remember the Atari 2600 much more clearly.

sikdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My dad had a 2600 so that's the first one I played. The NES was my first owned console though.

Chrissill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Chrissill

Hey first post also! My first console was the Sega Megadrive (UK obv). Sonic single handedly got me into gaming. Now I just hope the "new" sonic on switch can captivate me like old sonics did, that or bring back sonic adventure 2 again!

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nes. (Oh man, I'm getting old).

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#117  Edited By marc

My first was an Atari 7800 when I was about three years old. By the time I was a couple of years older and knew better, I got an NES.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am a young person and my first console was a PS2. We even got that late though. We played our games on PC and went to dying arcades.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

I had a windows 3.1 pc where I played wolfenstein and I had a sega genesis.

Jokerbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My parents had a Colecovision and a 7800 as a kid. My first game I think I ever bought myself was Food Fight for 7800.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

The N64. I had a couple of classics that I loved playing like Super Mario 64, Smash Bros and Mario Kart 64. Got the system late so I never got to build up a big library. I also had some obscure games just because I was a kid and loved the properties tied to these games like Rugrats in Paris and Star Wars Episode 1 Racer which is in fact the only good thing tied to Star Wars Episode 1. The PC version was the best though.

saturn5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NES for me, back in 1986 that was, god I'm getting old =)

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

palvand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By palvand

Born in '92. We weren't very well off growing up, but our neighbor's gave us their Super Nintendo. Eventually for Christmas (I want to say probably 98?) we got an N64 (no idea how my parents managed to afford that). That was really the last console we had until my friend gave me his GameCube in like 2007, and I bought an Xbox 360 from my friend in 2010.

meglapug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First console I owned was a Nintendo 64, got it for Christmas along with Mario 64.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

First one we owned was a Super NES.

Rata Gain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Rata Gain

the famicom

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was born in 96 and I started early, so my first console was the PS1. My earliest memory is watching my older sisters play Pandemonium.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

My Brother's SNES is my first console I got to play with... I was gifted his NES probably at age 6?

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

An Atari that only played Pong, got it when i was around 3, so that must have been around 1985-86.

rabincrabmink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First one I remember playing was a friends VTech Socrates. But other than that, my mom had a Gameboy which she used to play only Tetris and then we got an NES

Subterfudge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A Sega Megadrive 2 my dad got us during the Balkan wars of the 90s. I still keep looking for one on eBay...

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Sega Genesis. The best console. The only console.

GuitarGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By GuitarGod

sega genesis

ps2

psp

nintendo DS

nintendo wii

ps4

MaikeruRX-78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had a hand-me-down Atari 2600 from my parents at age 2 or so, but it didn't really have many games. Somehow I had the infamously bad/obtuse E.T. game!

The first one I remember playing extensively was an NES, which I got when I was 3 or so.

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

SEGA Genesis

Criven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Criven

Born in 87. My dad would rent NES/SNES from the video store when I was about 6.

No Caption Provided

I remember getting this as my "first video game" because Game Boys were out of my folk's price range

My first real deal console was a Master System 2. Alex the maa fuckin KIIIIIIID

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

SNES!

doomguy00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By doomguy00

My dad bought a Sega Genesis when it first came out and I played Street Fighter and Sonic the Hedgehog religiously. Then we got an N64, which was amazing.

TheFlamingo352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played PCs for years, but eventually got in with the PS2

Hairyreddog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The very first videogame console I had was the Atari 2600. I was very little, probably early elementary school. Maybe even kindergarten... We lived in a house that had an intercom system (was really old and barely worked) and my parents liked it so they could check on my in my room. So it was on pretty much all the time. One day I'm playing space invaders and just start spewing out curse words like a crusty old man who was just cut off by a "foreigner" and I threw the contoller at the TV. After the inevitable ass-whooping... that was the first and last time I ever did that.