What was your first experience with Giant Bomb?

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 23

#51  Edited By pyromagnestir

The first thing I caught were some of them early Bombcasts. I probably listened to the Arrow Pointing Down stuff but don't remember, however I definitely remember a lot of the early Bombcasts. Looking back through the quick looks the oldest one I know I watched was the Afro Samurai one, however I mostly ignored the video content on the site until I got intrigued by the Endurance Run around episode 58 or something.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#52  Edited By Vorbis

Joystiq, someone posted an article about a dude who got fired for writing an honest review. I had never bothered with gaming sites or reviews beyond news blogs, but hearing about a reviewer that was willing to lose his job to give an honest opinion told me he was someone worth listening to, so I checked his blog until he announced Giantbomb.

I had never really followed Gamespot and only knew Jeff by name.

smitty86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By smitty86

Saw this [starts at 25:40] , went to Wikipedia to find out more about Deadly Premonition, found someone said Giant Bomb was currently doing an "endurance run" of the game, saw a Jeff and Vinny clip, loved it ever since.

Sbaitso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Sbaitso

Arrow Pointing Down and JeffGerstmann.net. Followed em' over from GS. Back when this site was two blogs, then one blog, and then a website about video games.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#55  Edited By Video_Game_King

Registering this as my back-up account for my oft-maligned (by me) GameSpot account.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#56  Edited By Gabriel

Bombcast with California Extreme, hated it because they didn't talk enough about video games, and the video games they did talk about in detail was shit like 50 cent Blood on the Sand. Safe to say my tastes have changed dramatically.

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#57  Edited By X19
@Canteu said:

The arrow pointing down podcast.

tictocbehemoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#58  Edited By tictocbehemoth

Mine was when I finally got an iPod touch. I had never used iTunes before and I was looking for some awesome podcasts to listen to. I was going through the different podcast sections and found the Giant Bombcast.

cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#60  Edited By cinemandrew

@Hailinel said:

Reading the blog that was established prior to the official site launch.

This =D

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I was looking for some video of people playing Dragon Age: Origins for the 360 (I later got it for the PC) and I found this;

I found dumb people messing around with it and never left (yeah Vinny and Dave were my first).

MrJorOwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By MrJorOwe

The rougue warrior quicklook. Not a bad one to stumble upon

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#63  Edited By AndrewB

When I watched the video review for Kane and Lynch: Dead Men over at this website called Gamespot and thought it was pretty funny, then saw the news about Jeff being fired shortly after. Then there was months of silence. Then he put up a blog which I was linked to somewhere. Then there was a podcast called Arrow Pointing down. Then they announced that Alex would be joining Giant Bomb, and Alex was like "uh... actually, I have this other job" and there was a terribly awkward moment. Then they brought on the familiar voices of Brad and one Vincent Caravella, and they said they would actually be joining. Then they finally opened the website and even though I was one of the first people to sign up, I still couldn't get the username I wanted.

But I got the last laugh. I got the name Mac over at Tested. Then the profiles were unified, and I lost it...

Tamaster92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Tamaster92

I'd been listening to the bombcast for a while and figured I should visit the site, been in love with it ever since,

BoatDrinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By BoatDrinks

I had viewed the site a few times after Jeff got fired, but never listened to podcasts before then so nothing really kept me coming back. First thing I saw from the site that got me hooked was the Rouge Warrior QL, then checked out the endurance run and its all history from there.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#66  Edited By Ben_H

It started for me when I had heard about Jeff being fired and then I found his blog he had just started called "Jeff Gerstmann is Still Alive" and then I found Ryan's blog, and then they made a podcast that I loved and I've been with them ever since. The thing that really drew me in to being interested in what Jeff was doing was his episodes of Points! which was the essentially the same thing as Jartime but he more discussed topics he picked rather than user questions.  It was funny when he posted that episode of Points! with Alex in it, even though Alex was still fully employed with Gamespot and it just seemed like a sign for things to come.  It was fun back when it was the Giant Bomb blog and Citizen Kane was in full on boss mode being the mod for it (at least I think that's what he did). And we looked forward to episodes of "How to Build a Bomb" every week.

I was kinda part of Gamespot, I didn't post much but I did read it a lot.  I had stopped reading it when I had read that Jeff was fired and that's how I found everything.

yyZiggurat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By yyZiggurat

A friend linked me to the site and I found my way to the Persona 4 Endurance Run (they were at Yukiko's dungeon at the time). I fell in love (gush) with the site personalities and humor.

sketch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By sketch

Frighteningly, I've been following what they were doing at gamespot since about '01. Seems like a long ass time ago. The progression to here was pretty much the same as anyone else that followed them after the firing.

ckeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By ckeats

I was here when it was a page that simply said: "Blowing up this summer"

Listend to the Bombcast since Arrow Pointing Down, as the Hotspot was my favorite part of the week, and it was never the same after everyone left. (Remember Vinny hosting? Madness) After that I read the blog for a bit but wasn't visiting everyday until it became an actual site.

Tan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Tan

Super Meat Boy Quick Look, it was posted on the Super Meat Boy site and I've been here since.

Feels bad knowing I missed so much.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By jacdg

Quick look of InFamous, stuck around ever since.

sparklykiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

#72  Edited By sparklykiss

I can't remember what video it was... But I was hanging around a webcomic forum a ton, lots of users would post Giant Bomb .gifs and I didn't get them. Some were funny, but most of the jokes were too inside for me to get. They'd talk about the content here a lot and I didn't really venture over, but one friend there would IM me videos to watch and I'd sorta be all "Yeah, yeah, I'll do it later." I signed up for the site, didn't visit a lot, read a few articles and gave the videos a shot. It was good, but I wasn't quite hooked yet. I listened to a snippet of the Bombcast and am now stuck here forever.

I also would have never posted if it wasn't for those quests. And then I ended up getting in too deep. #NoRegrets

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#73  Edited By nightriff

Bombcast 7-5-11, the Journey conversation where Jeff starts to yell at Brad really hooked me and said I would continue to listen. Then the week after was the Ryan is a NARC podcast and I was completely sold on the Bombcast. One of the funniest things I have ever heard. Right after that I checked out the website and have been a fan since. My most visited site easily. War Giant Bomb!!!

neurotic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By neurotic

@Cloudenvy: Heh, thanks man.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By MrMazz

Damn it was right around E3 2010 or 09 because I remember watching the live stream and thinking Ryan was some wheelchair bound diabetic cripple for abuot 20 minutes. Its whenever Legh Alexander made that stupid comment about BF3 or something.

Cathryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#76  Edited By Cathryn

The Arrow Pointing Down podcast <3

ie, I followed these guys here from Gamespot.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Cathryn said:

The Arrow Pointing Down podcast <3

ie, I followed these guys here from Gamespot.

Same for me.

deadmanforking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By deadmanforking

The first Arrow Pointing down podcast.

FinalBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 18

#79  Edited By FinalBoss

I was a huge fan of gamespot back in the day and it was my number one video game website. When Jeff was fired I was very upset but I kept going to the site because there was still other people there I liked such as Ryan, Alex, Vinney, Brad ect. At the time I didn't even think to check around the Internet to see if Jeff was posting things elsewhere (I was a kid at the time idk what I was thinking). A little while after Jeff left all the people I liked started leaving one by one. Then one day sometime in march 2008 I was looking at the comments from an on the spot video and someone posted a link to giant bomb. I quickly found out it was run by Jeff and Ryan and left gamespot and haven't looked back. I've been at giant bomb ever since.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#80  Edited By BlackLagoon

I think I had the site in the gaming news section of my RSS reader for a while, without really knowing much about it. Then I became fascinated with Deadly Premonition and watched the first couple of episodes of the endurance runs, though stopping there since I didn't want to get spoiled. In the end, what really grabbed me was when someone linked to this on NeoGAF:

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By TehFlan

A friend of mine got me to start watching the P4 endurance run to show me how great P4 is.

Seesic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Seesic

I was definitely linked here a couple of times but the first thing was the Bombcast, I believe they were talking about arcade machines. I was just looking for a good podcast at the time

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By habster3

Well, I used to casually lurk on Gamespot from about '08 to early '09, watching the older video reviews for terrible games. Eventually, I learned about the Kane & Lynch controversy and how several staff members (mostly those who were involved with those hilarious reviews) had moved to Giant Bomb. Eventually, I checked out the site, saw some video reviews (I think my first was Infamous) and, eventually, I began to watch the quick looks. Been in love with Jeff, Ryan, Brad, Vinny, the community, and this whole setup ever since.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By 49th

Someone linked a Quick Look on GameTrailers and it was awesome. I don't remember exactly what game it was, but around the summer of '09 is when I started to regularly come here.

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By jayjonesjunior

Is there any way to find out what was the first thing you watched on your account? not that it would matter because i've been visiting the site long before i made myself an account.

gren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By gren

A while after gerstmann-gate I went looking to see what Jeff was up to, found the blog and the arrow pointing down podcast and here I am :3.

RadixNegative2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By RadixNegative2

I've followed the crew since they were at Gamespot (starting around 2003) and loved the work they did. Eventually with so many people leaving like Greg, Jeff, Rich, etc., I stopped visiting Gamespot (and lost track of what Jeff was up to).

One day I was listening to the 1up podcast and they had two guests. It turned out to be Jeff and Ryan and there I found out they had started Giant Bomb. I was extremely excited to find out since I had really missed them and the old Gamespot days.

Now that they're back over at the Gamespot offices I can't wait till they start doing stuff again with some of the crew that stayed behind, especially Kevin and Ryan M.

qawsed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By qawsed

There was a quick look embedded on a forum. I watched a few minutes and clicked full screen. The video restarted and wouldn't let me seek. I raged.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#89  Edited By Little_Socrates

I used GameSpot a lot back in the day, but I never really paid attention to the personalities, so I missed the exodus and simply started becoming more dissatisfied with GameSpot after they left. Sometime toward the end of 2009, some GameSpotter either mentioned or linked to Giant Bomb, and I decided to check it out. I'm pretty sure my first Quick Look was Avatar: The Game, followed by reading the Rogue Warrior review. I actually didn't end up watching many more Quick Looks (although I do remember watching the one for Red Dead Redemption) until Super Meat Boy came out, and, until then, most of my video game content came from GameSpot (reading reviews and news) and from NoobToob. Before that point, I was involved in the forums here, but I really didn't pay much attention to the site's content. I do remember people always yelling at Brad Nicholson at the time, though.

By 2010 GOTY, though, I was a full-on junkie and heavily listening to The Bombcast; those first few podcasts I listened to were all about Fable III, which I maintain were still some of the best game discussions ever to hit Giant Bomb.

dabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#90  Edited By dabe

The P4 Endurance Run.

Was searching for Persona 4 material and stumbled upon this site. Watched the video, grew to love Vinny & Jeff's witticisms as I was concurrently completing P4 alongside them. Good times...I didn't even listen to the bombcast until mid-late 09, happy that I did though!

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Franstone

I couldn't remember at first but after watching the video's in the post by NTM I realized I started at "How to build a Bomb Part 2."

Was originally at Gamespot and a fan of the guys previously of course up till that very dark day...

; )

Hahah, just watched part 3, forgot about the Giant Flea Bomb.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#92  Edited By gla55jAw

Arrow Pointing Down Podcast/blog

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#93  Edited By galiant

@Canteu said:

The arrow pointing down podcast.

Avatar image for prince_of_space
Prince_of_Space

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Prince_of_Space

My first exposure was the Quicklook for that 3D G-Force hamster game. I have no idea what motivated me to watch it in the first place, but now I'm hooked.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#95  Edited By FancySoapsMan

browsing the forums when they were just starting up 

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#96  Edited By Tesla

I discovered the Quick Looks and archived P4 endurance run videos right around the time I got a job where I had dual monitors and plenty of free time. I have less free time these days, but back then being able to camp out on the site everyday and consume all the content really helped me become a Giant Bomb fan quickly.

I had frequented your IGNs and Gametrailers in the past, but only for the information about my favorite hobby. Giant Bomb was the first site I found where individual personalities were a factor. It felt less like a bunch of dudes doing their job, and more like friends just hanging out and playing games and being stupid together.

Aaron_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 6

#97  Edited By Aaron_G

Followed Jeff after he left GameSpot, followed his blog, the Arrow Pointing Down Podcast, Giant Bomb as a blog, and finally when the site launched in July 2008.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Ben_H
@BlackLagoon said:

I think I had the site in the gaming news section of my RSS reader for a while, without really knowing much about it. Then I became fascinated with Deadly Premonition and watched the first couple of episodes of the endurance runs, though stopping there since I didn't want to get spoiled. In the end, what really grabbed me was when someone linked to this on NeoGAF:

By far one of the best Quick Looks. Still cracks me up and I've probably seen it 10 or 15 times.
Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#99  Edited By Phatmac

Bombcast, Don't know which episode exactly. I was just looking for a good video game podcast and I found one.

cheesimus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By cheesimus

Mine was the Shaun White's Skateboarding quick look. The rant about 'the man' and Stride gum made me laugh so much I just had to see more.