Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By Video_Game_King

"What's a nostalgia attack?", you ask? Well, simply put: it's when you develop a sudden, inexplicable urge to replay a game from your past. Bonus points if you haven't played it in a while.

Here are two of my most recent examples:

• Link to the Past's overworld music has me wanting to play the game all over again. It's that awesome.
  • For some reason, I want to replay Metal Gear Solid 2. I don't know why. I mean, I played through MGS3 recently, and I liked that well enough (albeit with a ton of qualifications), but I can't tell you why exactly I want to replay Sons of Liberty. I don't think I've even touched it since....2007 maybe?
morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By morningstar

Dark Cloud 2. All the time.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By Yummylee

I've long had an urge to go back to Primal because I never completed it. My original copy would always crash at the same moment every time, just before I think I was about to enter the final realm.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Samaritan

This morning it was raining really hard where I live and the noise of the rain on my roof sounded very similar to how it sounds in Persona 4 when it rains at the Dojima's. Nostalgia attack, commence!

Avatar image for jonathanashleymoore
JonathanAshleyMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anytime anyone ever says anything about Ocarina of Time.

alexpiercey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By alexpiercey

When I listened to the London Philharmonic Orchestra Videogame soundtrack compilation for the first time.

Nothing made me want to play GTA IV more.

http://www.lpo.org.uk/heroes/

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7  Edited By YI_Orange

Any time I think about Super Mario RPG. I never actually play it, but god damn do I want to. I can practically replay that game in my mind though, I've beaten it so many times.

GabrielCantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By GabrielCantor

I've been meaning to play Dark Cloud 1 again for a while, which came from watching people play Sonic '06 which used a bunch of sound effects (like the one for opening Atla) from it. I also went back and plowed through a game of Majora's Mask leading up to New Year's Eve because of that Remix album, and because of memories of beating that game at midnight on New Year's one year.

Oh, and watching through the complete series of Power Rangers has made me REALLY wanna play Power Rangers: The Movie something awful, but I don't have a Genesis anymore.

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By VoshiNova

It was Metal Gear Solid 2 for me, played it on Vita and had an excellent re-experience.

EchoEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By EchoEcho

Talking about how much Capcom has crapped up the Mega Man X series made me go back and marathon all three of the SNES games. Still good stuff. If Capcom isn't going to put out anything new that's of any decent quality, they should finally get around to making Maverick Hunter X 2 & 3. That PSP remake was really solid.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Ravenlight

@Video_Game_King said:

• For some reason, I want to replay Metal Gear Solid 2. I don't know why. I mean, I played through MGS3 recently, and

Now I need me some MGS2!

in lieu of that, I'll just re-read this excellent article that overthinks postmorderism, MGS2, and a bunch of stuff inbetween.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Karl_Boss

MGS2 is so good, you should definitely replay it.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Ravenlight:

I actually know what postmodernism is (I don't think I did when I originally played it), so now I want to play it even more.

@Guided_By_Tigers said:

MGS2 is so good, you should definitely replay it.

I can't tell if you're fucking with me.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DMC1 after Brad played it so I bought the HD collection. (To be fair, I've been wanting to buy it since it came out; just never got around to it until now.)

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ravenlight

@Video_Game_King said:

@Ravenlight:

I actually know what postmodernism is (I don't think I did when I originally played it), so now I want to play it even more.

MGS2 will explode your mind all over again. Realizing that, years after playing it, the game is just fucking with the player the whole time is a really neat experience.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Karl_Boss
NinjaBerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By NinjaBerd

@Morningstar said:

Dark Cloud 2. All the time.

This... And Rogue Galaxy.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Ravenlight:

Even the premise is confusing as hell. It's an allegory for the original Metal Gear Solid, but that game was pretty much Metal Gear 2 again. So Sons of Liberty is an allegory for a game that's an allegory for another game. Why is the first L even necessary at this point?

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

Resident Evil 2 and Soul Reaver for me.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By BaneFireLord

It doesn't really fit in with your parameters, but I got hit really hard when I walked over a hill in the Skyrim Dragonborn expansion and saw            

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ravenlight

@Video_Game_King said:

@Ravenlight:

Even the premise is confusing as hell. It's an allegory for the original Metal Gear Solid, but that game was pretty much Metal Gear 2 again. So Sons of Liberty is an allegory for a game that's an allegory for another game. Why is the first L even necessary at this point?

"Sons of iberty"

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Ravenlight:

That's the third, Ravenight.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ravenlight

@Video_Game_King said:

@Ravenlight:

That's the third, Ravenight.

Don't judge me.

Meta Gear Soid 2: Sons of iberty

Now with no vowels:

Mt Gr Sid: 2 Sns o Lbrt

neurotic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By neurotic

Ah, purely game-related, eh? By my definition, I get nostalgia attacks nearly every day cos I'm stupid and like to live in the past.

To answer the topic though, playing 'Over That Hill' (or something like that, it's the overworld music in FFIX) in Theatrythm Final Fantasy gave me a massive urge to play FFIX again. Same with 'Someday the Dream will End' from FFX and 'Terra' from FFVI. It's usually music which triggers it.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By subject2change

Over the Holiday break I played Road Rash 3D for the PS1 for the first time in like 15 years. It was pretty good still.

My Boss I and were talking about Persona 4, and it made me want to replay it. Also talked about Ni No Kuni abunch, and I just want to play a good JPRG. So I might play FF4 on my DS Lite. (Trying to not spend money on games atm)

A co-worker was playing Baldurs Gate on his IPad, made me want to play Dragon Age Origins again.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Ravenlight said:

Mt Gr Sid: 2 Sns o Lbrt

These are vowels.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#27  Edited By AndrewB

I just started playing Wind Waker again based off listening to the soundtrack then now the HD remake announcement. Dear lord, those graphics hold up to this day, even in their SD, stretched widescreen aspect ratio. The gameplay, not so much. I just... don't really like that typical Zelda format anymore. I think I have better luck with the more clever 2/2.5D titles, but even then, it's a stretch. Also, inverted camera and no way to change it? What the hell? I just want to play it in an emulator for that alone.

Uhm... then Super Metroid, again solely based on the soundtrack, thinking about how much I love well-made chiptune tracks and would like to compose my own, but I prefer the darker tones of the serious games of olde to the super upbeat ones typically found in chiptunes.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#28  Edited By GunstarRed

I quite often get the urge to play older games. I played around a bit with Mega Man 2 a couple of weeks ago and was playing Shadow Dancer the other night which prompted me to make a pretty questionable purchase on ebay. I play old Mega Drive games pretty regularly though and I have been sifting through PS1 games recently with the intention of playing some of them again.

I was playing Quake 2 a couple of weeks ago also, I had to fiddle around with fan made patches to get the music to run, but it was totally worth it... Quake 2 without the metal can go fuck itself.

I also got my N64 out after last Fridays stream. I messed about with Mario 64 (Meh) and tried to fight the final boss on an old save of Ocarina... I failed miserably.

And MGS2 is tied with 4 for best Metal Gear.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know why, but I recently had a "nostalgia attack" for Unreal Tournament.  

DevourerOfTime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

#30  Edited By DevourerOfTime

I had really bad hankering to play through Final Fantasy VIII again last week, a game I haven't even given much thought to, let alone touched, in a good 5 or 6 years. One of my friends was going through Final Fantasy XIII for the first time (he's actually enjoying it, to my surprise) and another friend just played through Final Fantasy X again (and has a much higher opinion of it now). Kinda forced me to look back on my Final Fantasy experience and VIII was the one that stuck out for me, for whatever reason.

Don't know if I'll boot it up or not. Already in the middle of other lengthy RPGs, but who knows? Maybe it'll be a good summer game.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Nottle

I get nostalgia attacks to play Mother 2 or 3. The MGS series, and recently some Metroid ass Metroid games.

I think I'll need to get the Other M.

Also I get nostalgic over games I've never played even though that makes no sense. I'd love to play Links Awakening or the old Tomb Raider games.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Krullban

Dark Cloud. Both of them, maybe more so the second one as I never actually finished it. I was young and got stuck at some volcano and didn't know what to do, so I never played it again.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By GunstarRed

@AndrewB: The Brinstar music is probably one of my favourite tunes in any game ever.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#34  Edited By AndrewB

@GunstarRed: The track I used above is just too iconic for me not to include, but the entire soundtrack is moody and atmospheric awesome.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By GunstarRed

@AndrewB: It's all great, it reminds me of a christmas morning when I got the game. I remember that sort of droning music when you first land on the planet, it used to send a chill down my spine. So moody and weird compared to all of the cutesey platformers I had played up to that point.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36  Edited By pr1mus

Listening to that music usually means i have to replay Resident Evil 2.

Now if you'll excuse me, i will be playing Resident Evil 2 for the next 5 hours.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#37  Edited By Hizang

Today, I had the sudden urge to play Conkers Bad Fur Day, so I played it up untill the cow poo thing.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#38  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

Last week I had the urge to play Dragon Age Origins. I started a city elf character, but I probably won't get very far. To many other things to do.

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By rentfn

I have a Starman hoodie from Fangamer. I was wearing it the other day and the guy at the comic shop asked me if that was Earthbound related. I responded Heck Yeah it is and we talked about Earthbound for ten minutes. It made me want to play it again. Although I play Earthbound once a year, so I don't get bonus points because of that.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#40  Edited By granderojo

That Crash Bandicoot art thread gave me a sudden urge to go back and play a Crash game.

Avatar image for imsorrymsjackson
Imsorrymsjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Imsorrymsjackson

I purchased an original Game Boy and played Tetris last week, that was pretty hype.

C2C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#42  Edited By C2C

The latest one was Tekken 3 for me. I was in good company as a lot of friends who don't normally play video games anymore just started reminiscing and we decided to play a good couple of hours away.

SaFt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SaFt

I recently bought Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams. I'm sad that they chose to go the direction of making it way more anime-esque than previous entries. It did however make me really want to replay the first two games.

Also Shenmue, although that happens every 6-12 months. The attention to detail and the music is fantastic.

nerdsbeware

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#44  Edited By nerdsbeware

After the Cyberpunk 2077 trailer came out, and we got back together our Cyberpunk 2020 table top group again to play, I went and burned a whole weekend playing Shadowrun for the SNES. It was great.

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#45  Edited By MistaSparkle

Recently remembered that I had a Pioneer Laseractive years ago, so I went hunting to find some of the games I used to have for it. Found a bunch on ebay and I'm thinking of buying them and putting all the info down in the wiki pages.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#46  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

It happens all the time, with Oblivion (which is unfortunate, because it's always awful), the original Mass Effect (always awesome), Dragon Age: Origins (even more awesome), stuff like that. I think the last one was probably... Hrmmm.. What was it? I think it was something emulated... Actually, I have no idea, I definitely had one the other day...

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

I went to gamestop in a fit of heated fever and panic bought the Ratchet and Clank Collection.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#48  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

After playing DmC I wanted to play DMC3 and still do. Don't have my copy with me so I can't.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By LackingSaint

The mentioning of Destroy All Humans in the last TNT. I was bummed as hell when they decided to show the horrible, rushed, janky-ass Path of The Furon rather than either of the first two.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#50  Edited By Yummylee

@Pr1mus said:

Listening to that music usually means i have to replay Resident Evil 2.

Now if you'll excuse me, i will be playing Resident Evil 2 for the next 5 hours.

I love that theme. The way it only plays in one room across the entire game, and is only accessible in B scenario had you registered your fingerprints in the A scenario, gave it an extra sense of awe about it. Given that all you found in that room was just another SMG, I'd like to think the theme itself was basically your reward, more so than the gun.