Whatever Happened to Split Screen Multiplayer? (Topic 6 years old)

• 69 results
BigLemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By BigLemon

It may just be the games I am playing, but the number of games with local split screen multiplayer seem close to zero, and that kinda saddens me. I like playing games with my brother a lot, but often times the only option in multiplayer modes are on-line. I don't have a ton of on-line friends, and I would much rather sit down with a friend in my home and play, and this seems limited to mostly sports games these days. So my question is, why the move away from split screen? Is it because designers would have to render the image twice? Is it because developers would rather put more energy into the on-line multiplayer? What gives?

I am sure there are games out there with local cooperative multiplayer (Army of Two and the like), but I really miss the days of competitive split-screen mutliplayer, especially in the FPS and racing genres.

SoothsayerGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SoothsayerGB

Doesn't seem appropriate to cater to a minority.  

I also don't understand why anyone would want someone else to see their screen in a VS game or am I stating the obvious?

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By OldManLight

Internet happened. Are tou still wearing eddie bauer clothes too? ;)

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By RVonE

With internet connections rapidly improving, I think the days of taping cardboard to your tv are over.
BigLemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BigLemon
@SoothsayerGB said:
" Doesn't seem appropriate to cater to a minority.    I also don't understand why anyone would want someone else to see their screen in a VS game or am I stating the obvious? "
That's not a very inclusive mindset. And you have to remember there are a lot of Xbox 360 consoles that still don't have active Live accounts...

I just think there are a lot of games that I don't get the full presentation from because they solely cater to on-line gamers. A good example would be the new NFS: Hot Pursuit game. I bought it for my brother for Christmas, and I was bummed when I realized the multi-player was exclusively on-line. 
Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Pazy

Im with you, though I play a lot of online games with my friend I love getting together and playing multiplayer games on the same couch. The experience is just better having the person/people with you.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By natetodamax

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By AlexW00d

I also much prefer to be playing against someone I actually know, whom I can actually be by and have fun with.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Skytylz
@SoothsayerGB said:
" Doesn't seem appropriate to cater to a minority.    I also don't understand why anyone would want someone else to see their screen in a VS game or am I stating the obvious? "
VS Game?  What's that?  Anyways, I still prefer playing split screen to online cooperative.  Even competitive is fun to a point, just no screen peaking!!! 

@BigLemon: I think the majority of games still have splitscreen or atleast the ones I've gotten.  Borderlands, Reach, Black Ops(Zombies), Gears, and lots of other games.  
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#10  Edited By Icemael

Online gaming happened.

I, for one, think it's a damn shame we barely ever get split-screen games anymore. I have no interest whatsoever in playing multiplayer with someone who isn't in the same room. I can, of course, understand why titles like Call of Duty don't have it -- being able to see where your opponent is and what he's doing completely breaks those types of games -- but it ought to be obligatory for all racing games, as well as every game with co-op.

BigLemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BigLemon
@Pazy said:
" Im with you, though I play a lot of online games with my friend I love getting together and playing multiplayer games on the same couch. The experience is just better having the person/people with you. "
Exactly. I have a gold Live account, but I would much rather play with someone I know than a stranger halfway across the country.  I would just rather have a shared experience with someone I know. 

As of January of this year,the X360 has sold around 50 million units. There are anywhere between 10 and 15 million Live accounts. Now this doesn't account for multiple Xbox homes, multiple Live accounts for a single individual, or various other confounding variables, but it is something to consider when you make the "online" argument.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Icemael said:
" I can, of course, understand why titles like Call of Duty don't have it  "
Huh? Last time I checked, BLOPS (I fucking hate that acronym) had split screen. Oh, and last time I checked was Christmas, when I played split screen with a ten year old. Obviously, I kicked a ton of ass.
beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#13  Edited By beargirl1
@Video_Game_King said:
" @Icemael said:
Huh? Last time I checked, BLOPS (I fucking hate that acronym) had split screen. Oh, and last time I checked was Christmas, when I played split screen with a ten year old. Obviously, I kicked a ton of ass. "
sure you did!
Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Sambambo
@BigLemon
@Pazy said:
" Im with you, though I play a lot of online games with my friend I love getting together and playing multiplayer games on the same couch. The experience is just better having the person/people with you. "
Exactly. I have a gold Live account, but I would much rather play with someone I know than a stranger halfway across the country.  I would just rather have a shared experience with someone I know. 

As of January of this year,the X360 has sold around 50 million units. There are anywhere between 10 and 15 million Live accounts. Now this doesn't account for multiple Xbox homes, multiple Live accounts for a single individual, or various other confounding variables, but it is something to consider when you make the "online" argument.
At CES, MS said there were 30 million live accounts. Did you just make up a random figure as fact?
melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By melcene
@BigLemon said:
" It may just be the games I am playing, but the number of games with local split screen multiplayer seem close to zero, and that kinda saddens me. I like playing games with my brother a lot, but often times the only option in multiplayer modes are on-line. I don't have a ton of on-line friends, and I would much rather sit down with a friend in my home and play, and this seems limited to mostly sports games these days. So my question is, why the move away from split screen? Is it because designers would have to render the image twice? Is it because developers would rather put more energy into the on-line multiplayer? What gives?  I am sure there are games out there with local cooperative multiplayer (Army of Two and the like), but I really miss the days of competitive split-screen mutliplayer, especially in the FPS and racing genres. "
Download Perfect Dark (the original) from Xbox Marketplace.  Guaranteed split screen goodness.    

As Skylytz just said, there's still plenty of games with splitscreen.

I feel the same way you do and had posted something similar a while back ago.  Unfortunately I got pretty much the same response.
Dimsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

#16  Edited By Dimsey

My brother is my preferred partner for co-op and multiplayer in general, so I love me some splitscreen.
I'm fine if the game loses splitscreen in favor of system link, even if it means I have to buy two copies of the game.
I just shouldn't HAVE to be online to play with somebody who is right next to me, or in the next room at the furthest.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#17  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Blame the original Xbox and Halo 2 for making online console multiplayer a viable thing, though I guess you could also blame the Dreamcast for being the first to have it.

It's sad in a way, but then I remember that I'm not 7 and I don't have siblings who play video games anymore (unless you count my 11 year old brother, but he's far too into playing Black Ops online with his friends to care about the demise of split screen). Nonetheless, it's not dead. Resident Evil 5 and Borderlands have two player splitscreen co-op and Halo and Call of Duty online have the ability to add guests. Although, I don't recommend doing so for Call of Duty, as a reduced field of vision is far more likely to be a detriment to your performance than in Halo. If you want the "good old days" of splitscreen, just get out your N64 or Gamecube.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By gamefreak9
@BigLemon said:
" @Pazy said:
Exactly. I have a gold Live account, but I would much rather play with someone I know than a stranger halfway across the country.  I would just rather have a shared experience with someone I know.  As of January of this year,the X360 has sold around 50 million units. There are anywhere between 10 and 15 million Live accounts. Now this doesn't account for multiple Xbox homes, multiple Live accounts for a single individual, or various other confounding variables, but it is something to consider when you make the "online" argument. "
Seriously, and i think the average tv size increased by like 15 cm in the last 10 years, i don't have to tear my eyes out playing halo 1 4 player on a 14inch screen. 
DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By DeF

the Goldeneye 007 Wii game has good ol' split screen VS modes. Monster Hunter Tri has split screen multiplayer, too. All the others from last year I could think of have been mentioned, I guess.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@BigLemon said:
" It may just be the games I am playing, but the number of games with local split screen multiplayer seem close to zero, and that kinda saddens me. I like playing games with my brother a lot, but often times the only option in multiplayer modes are on-line. I don't have a ton of on-line friends, and I would much rather sit down with a friend in my home and play, and this seems limited to mostly sports games these days. So my question is, why the move away from split screen? Is it because designers would have to render the image twice? Is it because developers would rather put more energy into the on-line multiplayer? What gives?  I am sure there are games out there with local cooperative multiplayer (Army of Two and the like), but I really miss the days of competitive split-screen mutliplayer, especially in the FPS and racing genres. "
I think people who want to meet friends and family in person like you and I are a minority. There are too many people who still live in their grandparent's basement. Time Splitters split-screen was awesome. I would love to see a crazy Time Splitters 4 for modern consoles. If only Crytek didn't have them working on Crysis 2 multiplayer....
Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By Aus_azn

I played some 4P splitscreen MW2 the other day. It was decent.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#22  Edited By Icemael
@Video_Game_King said:
" @Icemael said:
Huh? Last time I checked, BLOPS (I fucking hate that acronym) had split screen. Oh, and last time I checked was Christmas, when I played split screen with a ten year old. Obviously, I kicked a ton of ass. "
I haven't played Black Ops or World at War, so I wouldn't know. I'm pretty sure neither Modern Warfare allows split-screen when playing online, though.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By iam3green

the internet is what happened. since games started playing online they pretty much removed the split screen. i think they should keep it. there is nothing like playing with someone who is sitting right across from you.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By animateria

Ping-pong happened. 

I miss split screen or even single screen mp games...

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#25  Edited By StarvingGamer

Internet was not the problem, it was the answer.  Once games started spending a billionty dollars eking out every ounce of processing power to make the game look at amazing as possible, split screen multiplayer stopped being viable.  Most modern games would see an incredible drop in frame rate if they had to render the game world twice and become unplayable.

Do what I do, own two PS3s and two TVs o_O

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#26  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Believe me, it's nothing to do with the image having to be rendered twice. Yeah, as the other guys said online killed it. Overall I much prefer online play but it's still a little disappointing that in a number of games these days you can be sitting right next to a person and not be able to play the same game with them without some crazy two-console, two-TV setup.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#27  Edited By StarvingGamer
@Gamer_152: Rawr I FIGHT YOU!  How did you directly reply to everything I said so fast!?
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jimbo

Online, plus the average age of gamers went up by about 20 years.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#29  Edited By sammo21
@BigLemon:   Actually, more games than you think do split screen multiplayer.  As a matter of fact, the new Killzone has split screen multiplayer in it as well. 
WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By WickedCestus

Yeah, it's not as common, but it's still around. You just have to find the right games. 

ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ZombieHunterOG
@Skytylz said:
" @SoothsayerGB said:
VS Game?  What's that?  Anyways, I still prefer playing split screen to online cooperative.  Even competitive is fun to a point, just no screen peaking!!! 

@BigLemon: I think the majority of games still have splitscreen or atleast the ones I've gotten.  Borderlands, Reach, Black Ops(Zombies), Gears, and lots of other games.   "
you can play the online in blackops in split screen as well 
BigLemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BigLemon
@SuperSambo said:
" @BigLemon
@Pazy said:

At CES, MS said there were 30 million live accounts. Did you just make up a random figure as fact? "
No, that was a Feb 2008 statistic. I will try and find the source. Obviously, the number probably went up.
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#33  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator
@StarvingGamer said:
" @Gamer_152: Rawr I FIGHT YOU!  How did you directly reply to everything I said so fast!? "
Actually I didn't see your post, it was a strange coincidence. Personally I still don't think rendering the world more than once is the problem. While I'm studying to be a games programmer myself I'll admit that I've never actually worked with a game world as taxing on system resources as the games produced by the modern games industry, however I think you only have to look at games of recent times to see modern video games can do split-screen without an "incredible" drop in frame-rate. Portal 2, the recent Halo games, the recent CoD games, and Gears of War are just some of the modern video games that are still able to support split-screen for two to four players without completely trashing the frame-rate of the game. For the situation to be otherwise there would have to be a very significant lag between the amount of system resources consumed by games and the system resources available with modern consoles.
Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#34  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Switched to online multiplayer, but im glad its in KZ3. 
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#35  Edited By Claude

Buy a Wii and play GoldenEye 007... duh.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

im dissapointed that theres not much split screen in games nowadays...  i mean when i go to someones house, playing video games are usually on the agenda and when i go to my friends house, the choices now are black ops, rockband or a sports game (which im not really in to.)  i remember a few years ago that you could play burnout, battlefront 2, and great split screen games.  i guess game companies are now trying to appeal to a larger market...

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Red12b

I miss Couch play,

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#38  Edited By Slaker117

Local/splitscreen mutiplayer is great for college dorms. I wipe the floor with them because they aren't "gamers", but everyone on my floor has gotten into Halo thanks to it. Would be nice if more games had it, but at the same time, it doesn't really matter given that there are only a handful of then that are worth playing.

@Gamer_152:  
They still have to mess around with other properties to get the games to run smooth. Rending twice by it's very nature demands much more from the console. I think reducing the draw distance is the standard way to confiscate.

Videogames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Videogames

I remember always hating split screen even in the n64 days. I would always complain about not being able to see anything, screen looking, and inevitably comparing it to computer games like quake and doom where you didn't have to use split screen.

robot4me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By robot4me

I love online with friends and family that live in other states but that can't compare to beating a live person setting on the couch. I remember the halo 1 & 2 days when me and my friends would have lan parties. the trash talking is so much more fun when the people are there and not on the net.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By kingzetta

Internet happened.

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#42  Edited By Lazyaza

Split Screen is a feature from an era where children were the dominant gaming demographic and the internet didn't exist.   
Now adults are the dominant gaming demographic and the internet does exist. 

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Subjugation

The demographic changed

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#44  Edited By Yummylee

It's still here, in some places. Killzone 3 will have splitscreen multiplayer, though I think it's strictly for coop. 

If Resistance 3 carries the trend also from its predecessors, then both its coop and competitive multiplayer will splitscreen.

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By triple07
@wewantsthering said:
" @BigLemon said:
I think people who want to meet friends and family in person like you and I are a minority. There are too many people who still live in their grandparent's basement. Time Splitters split-screen was awesome. I would love to see a crazy Time Splitters 4 for modern consoles. If only Crytek didn't have them working on Crysis 2 multiplayer.... "
Yes thank you! I love playing with people in the same room. It just feels crippled to have to talk to a person over the internet to communicate. All I want is to play some coop games with my roommates or friends or whatever without the hassle of having 2 games, 2 consoles, and 2 tvs to play a coop game. 
biohazardblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By biohazardblaze
@triple07 said:
" @wewantsthering said:
" @BigLemon said:
I think people who want to meet friends and family in person like you and I are a minority. There are too many people who still live in their grandparent's basement. Time Splitters split-screen was awesome. I would love to see a crazy Time Splitters 4 for modern consoles. If only Crytek didn't have them working on Crysis 2 multiplayer.... "
Yes thank you! I love playing with people in the same room. It just feels crippled to have to talk to a person over the internet to communicate. All I want is to play some coop games with my roommates or friends or whatever without the hassle of having 2 games, 2 consoles, and 2 tvs to play a coop game.  "
I agree too. The  lack of Local Multiplayer support in a lot of games is just terrible. In 2010 I bought Transformers: War for Cyberttron, that game has Full Campaign Co-Op, Competitive Multiplayer and a Co-Op "Horde" like mode called Escalation. All these modes are online. =/

I could maybe forgive if these modes were at LEAST System Link. Which would work for me because there's two Xbox 360's in my household. Just rent a second copy of the game for a weekend and go nuts. But nope. To play Co-Operatively I need to have both System on Xbox LIVE and my sister doesn't have a Gold Subscription...

I have my finger crossed for local multiplayer to make a comeback as 3D TV's become more popular. Vizio's 'Versus-Enabled' tech looks cool, taking what a 3D tv does at producing two images, one for each eye, and then just having it so each player is only able to see one of those images by wearing special glasses. Full screen multiplayer goodness.
egan85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By egan85

I feel the fact that with online multiplayer everyone who plays the game needs to have there own copy of the game, plus in the case of the xbox you need a gold xbox live account. That just adds up to mores sales and increased profits.
Why have 2 or even 3 or 4 people share one copy of a game when you could have those people all have to buy there own copy. As with all business it what makes more money that drives decisions like that.

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By triple07
@BiohazardBlaze said:
" @triple07 said:
" @wewantsthering said:
" @BigLemon said:
Yes thank you! I love playing with people in the same room. It just feels crippled to have to talk to a person over the internet to communicate. All I want is to play some coop games with my roommates or friends or whatever without the hassle of having 2 games, 2 consoles, and 2 tvs to play a coop game.  "
I agree too. The  lack of Local Multiplayer support in a lot of games is just terrible. In 2010 I bought Transformers: War for Cyberttron, that game has Full Campaign Co-Op, Competitive Multiplayer and a Co-Op "Horde" like mode called Escalation. All these modes are online. =/

I could maybe forgive if these modes were at LEAST System Link. Which would work for me because there's two Xbox 360's in my household. Just rent a second copy of the game for a weekend and go nuts. But nope. To play Co-Operatively I need to have both System on Xbox LIVE and my sister doesn't have a Gold Subscription...

I have my finger crossed for local multiplayer to make a comeback as 3D TV's become more popular. Vizio's 'Versus-Enabled' tech looks cool, taking what a 3D tv does at producing two images, one for each eye, and then just having it so each player is only able to see one of those images by wearing special glasses. Full screen multiplayer goodness. "
I saw that recently and was so excited for it if it would actually take off. I think everyone here could get behind that as most people here seem down on 3D and this would give each player a full screen. The only problem is still having to render two separate instances of the world just like splitscreen so it could get the same amount of support as splitscreen even if a lot of TVs have it in it. 
Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Split screen is still pretty big, I think you've just gotten a few unlucky titles. Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit doesn't support it, but neither did Burnout Paradise, and it got quite a storm for not including it either. Blur, on the other hand, has a pretty good split screen mode that kind of filled the gap for us that Burnout used to for competitive racing.

Both Reach and Black Ops do support split screen, though my experience with Blops is minimal. It kind of sucked to have to unlock the dual joystick shooter if more than two people wanted to play on the same console, but once we got into that, it was a blast. Reach still supports a 4-way split no matter what you're up to.

Then you've got a very large number of Arcade games that pretty much all include local co-op or competitive modes. Just keep an eye out for them, and remember to check the boxes when looking for a game to suit your needs. Split Screen / Local games will say [Players 1-2] or [Players 1-4] instead of [Players 1] in the first box. Head out to your game store or check the Arcade lineup, and you'll be surprised how many fun games still support the couch multiplayer.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Emilio

Games are too busy with HD graphics to handle splitscreen.