Whats the best way to keep track of all my games?

vstag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By vstag

I have over 700 games and I used IGN to keep track of them until they stopped adding collector's editions. What would be the best way to keep track of my games now since I buy many collector and limited editions of games?

Zooey74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Zooey74

Sellotape them to your body?

vstag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zooey74 said:

Sellotape them to your body?

I don't think that will help, but I will keep it in mind.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By ThunderSlash
OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What do you mean.. keep track of them?

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Wacomole

Hire a butler to excavate a huge cavern under your house, complete with a super-computer and tricked-out car and store them in there. That gives you the added fun of having to slide down a pole every time you want to play a game.

vstag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wacomole said:

Hire a butler to excavate a huge cavern under your house, complete with a super-computer and tricked-out car and store them in there. That gives you the added fun of having to slide down a pole every time you want to play a game.

If I win the lottery I will do this, but until then I need a new way to keep track of games.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Justin258

Make a spreadsheet. That's what I did. Easy to update and use.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I want to know this.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By Tylea002

A spreadsheet on google docs, then you can update it on your own terms.

vstag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By vstag
@winternet said:
@officegamer said:

I want to know this.

I have over 700 games so its a little hard to remember sometimes if I have a game or not. I would like a way to see what games I own. IGN had a system that you could just put it in your profile so you can see what games you own and if its a limited ed. or not, but they no longer add collector's editions so I would like a system that I can quickly add games to so I know what I own since its hard to remember 700+ games and also be able to look at it when I am out at game stores and such. I might have to make a spreadsheet, but I liked the system IGN had set up better.

Zooey74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Zooey74

Hmm...700 may be too many for the taping option.

If you are worried about the version could you use something on an online store? Like an amazon wish list in reverse?

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Winternet
@vstag said:
@winternet said:
@officegamer said:

I want to know this.

I have over 700 games so its a little hard to remember sometimes if I have a game or not. I would like a way to see what games I own. IGN had a system that you could just put it in your profile so you can see what games you own and if its a limited ed. or not, but they no longer add collector's editions so I would like a system that I can quickly add games to so I know what I own since its hard to remember 700+ games and also be able to look at it when I am out at game stores and such. I might have to make a spreadsheet, but I liked the system IGN had set up better.

I don't know, isn't that what shelves are for? To organize your games? Also, how often does "I actually can't remember if I own this game or not and this is actually important right now" come up? Unless you're way serious into collection, I don't know if this is too big of a deal. Or you want to have a quick way to brag to your friends and go "yeah, I have a copy of 1NSANE". (by the way, I totally have a copy of 1NSANE and I did not need any fancy tracking device to know that. But, also I don't own 700 games. I think.)

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By OfficeGamer
Hawkerace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Notepad?

Backloggery is great tool, especially if you love stats and data and another excuse to document the games you gotta play.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By Nictel

Amateurs. I am joking ;) (Sort of :P)

First step:

Get one of these (Make sure it is PC compatible): (Or use your phone)

No Caption Provided

Second step:

Get a dedicated computer or use the one you have

Third step:

Set up a MySQL database.

Make a table. Can be as simple as

Id | name | edition | barcode

Fourth step:

Get some barcode software, there are plenty of free options

Fifth step:

Scan your games and put them into your database!

Optional sixth step:

Make a web application that uses the database, now get barcode software on your phone. -> Scan a game and see instantly if you already have it!

edgeCrusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By edgeCrusher

I know that feel bro. Ignore the jerk-off comments. Tracking a large collection is a pain in the ass, as is manually adding 700 entries into a spreadsheet. I recently found GameFAQ's "MyGames" function super robust and useful for tracking my own stuff (only 500 here, you've got me beat by a fair amount). IT's not perfect, but I can't really blame them for missing the cover art for the Korean version of Senko no Ronde Rev. X. The DB entry does exist, which is what made this tool useful for me.

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By rebgav

I would probably use one of the bajillions of media cataloging programs or websites out there.

I have no particular recommendation, I don't use them. I have a memory like french fried shit but I know, for sure, whether I bought something or not. I would have thought that collectors would be particularly good about knowing what they do or do not own but, like I said, bajillions of programs and websites so I guess not, huh? Weird.