What's the deal with the PC vs. console animosity?

• 103 results
deox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By deox

I won't lie, I would probably be a PC gamer if not for that fact that I'm a broke, University student. There's no way I could justify the price of a really nice gaming PC when I have food and rent to pay for, and only a part-time job to support me. Maybe once I'm done school and working full time I'll consider it, but for now, I'm fine with consoles. As a console gamer, I don't feel like I'm missing out at all, I play a ton a great games, and a lot of them still look fantastic. Plus I get to play online with my friends, the majority of which are also console gamers. Everyone has their reasons for choosing the platform they did. Making them feel bad about their choice because it is different from your own is pretty juvenile.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#52  Edited By Red

Because the quality between versions of games can be so different. Even though most games are generally better on the PC, there's the odd crappy port or timed DLC to make PC gamers jealous.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#53  Edited By fox01313

Since every game is developed on a pc, the pc gamers feel left out when there is some game that comes out just on some consoles without having equal coverage on the pc. I just put blame on the marketing/publishing end of the game industry that tends to just go after the big money while forgetting that so many games have a longer life on the pc as the users figure out ways to set up their own servers (and/or patches & updates) to keep running the games when the larger publishers kill the patches/server support.

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By Slaegar

I have a physical problem playing consoles these days. Since most games run at 30 fps on consoles, everything looks fuzzy and confusing to my eyes.

As a PC gamer, consoles feel like talking the easy way out. I looked at my budget and built a computer. Then I decide how I want the game to look and run.

With a console you press some buttons, wait through a long load time and it just runs (Usually. My xbox gets crashy if I move through menus too quickly). I can understand wanting a simpler experience, though. In the same vein as I can understand somebody preferring to play Angry Birds over STALKER, one push and you're done.

As far as technical stuff goes. Games built for consoles can impede playing them on a PC. Like Skyrim. In Skyrim every time you want to go to a town through a door, there's a loading screen. I have a mod that can turn these off and the door just opens like normal with no loading screen and Whiterun is part of the world. That's thanks to mods. Its thanks to ye olde xboxe that it was even there in the first place.

I played the first half of this generation as an xbox guy, but now, the thought of paying to play a game I already bought online, makes me very sad.

@Dagbiker said:

Because people dont understand that sometimes you need the right tool for the right job.

Like Netflix right? Netflixbox 360 was it? $18 dollars a month so you can have the pleasure of our loud ass fans.

Sarkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Sarkhan

I am a Sony "fanboy". I'v bought Sony products since the walkman(with no forward button) And i'v stayed with Sony all over my living room. That said, why the insane hate between ppl on pc and concoles? My perspective? I will never play a action game/rpg on pc. Why? Cause i do not!!!! want to spend the money it takes to make it good on PC. "you'll have longer loads, you have less detale" So? I play a game that is fun. If growing moss detail is that good for you? Then i'm happy for you. I play what i like, i play on consolle now days. And i love it.

Kyodra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#56  Edited By Kyodra

I think it's the same as people arguing about being circumcised or uncircumcised, both sides are as insecure about their dicks and want to pat themselves on the back before jerking off.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#57  Edited By TheHBK

@Dagbiker said:

Because people dont understand that sometimes you need the right tool for the right job.

Great way to put it. Also, just like how PS3 guys hate on 360 guys and vice versa, it is about the fact that either you spent so much money on a PC, or can't afford to buy another console to play some exclusives on, you have to put down others and convince them and yourself that the money you spent on that graphics card, or which console you chose was the the correct decision.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#58  Edited By Dagbiker

@Slaegar said:

I have a physical problem playing consoles these days. Since most games run at 30 fps on consoles, everything looks fuzzy and confusing to my eyes.

As a PC gamer, consoles feel like talking the easy way out. I looked at my budget and built a computer. Then I decide how I want the game to look and run.

With a console you press some buttons, wait through a long load time and it just runs (Usually. My xbox gets crashy if I move through menus too quickly). I can understand wanting a simpler experience, though. In the same vein as I can understand somebody preferring to play Angry Birds over STALKER, one push and you're done.

As far as technical stuff goes. Games built for consoles can impede playing them on a PC. Like Skyrim. In Skyrim every time you want to go to a town through a door, there's a loading screen. I have a mod that can turn these off and the door just opens like normal with no loading screen and Whiterun is part of the world. That's thanks to mods. Its thanks to ye olde xboxe that it was even there in the first place.

I played the first half of this generation as an xbox guy, but now, the thought of paying to play a game I already bought online, makes me very sad.

@Dagbiker said:

Like Netflix right? Netflixbox 360 was it? $18 dollars a month so you can have the pleasure of our loud ass fans.

I dont have netflix, but my sister uses my Xbox for her netfilx even though she could use the PC, Wii, or the PS3. I think she just prefers the interface.

I was more thinking, I would prefer to play Skyrim on the PC, but would prefer to play Persona 4 Arena on the console.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Clonedzero

because assholes will be assholes. its the internet, it sucks but thats what it is. people will always want to find something to make themselves feel superior to someone else. if they can bash on otehr people because they have an awesome gaming PC and the other guy just has an xbox, then yeah he'll trash that guy to feel better about himself.

i play both, and i see the merits of both. i'll go through phases where i play nothing but my consoles for months, then phases where i only play my PC (usually, i play consoles during the summer and PC during the winter, i dunno why).

anytime i see some PC fanboy douchebag rant about how "consoles are destroying video games" i just roll my eyes. its sad.

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Morrow: Yep, very vain. Comes naturally though, I don't force it - it's not like bitchy vain. 
M_Shini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By M_Shini

I feel nothing towards the debate, i started out on consoles then moved onto mostly using pc but i have a fairly open and clear head about them both and while i do have a preference to what i like to use i don't discount consoles where ever i can just because.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#62  Edited By Morrow

@Loafsmooch said:

@Morrow said:

@Zenogiasu said:

I've never understood the extent to which some people identify with one and outright despise the other.

I think the root of this attitude is the inner desire to belong to a certain group. To feel that you belong somewhere can give you a lot of confidence, as well as a place in our world. And to mark you affiliation with that group, you put the opposite group down.

I'm probably reading way too much into this, lol :D

I get what you're saying, and I agree. I keep hoping it's just immature people that feel that way, but damn... There's so many of them, no matter the age.

I guess ignorance is human nature.

Tsoglani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#63  Edited By Tsoglani

I think a lot of PC gamers like to annoy console gamers because of their hardware and showing it off thusly.

Personally, I used to be pretty much a pure console gamer, but the last three or so years I have definitely moved more towards gaming on my PC, mainly because of hardware upgrades, and the fact that prices of PC games are so much better than console games.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#64  Edited By tourgen

@Mister_V said:

It's simple fanboy mentality. They can only afford one thing and feel the need to validate there choice by laying into people who dare to choose differently out of the fear they may be missing out.

it's not even limited to fanboys. It's human nature. For some people it's a bigger choice than others. Maybe they only have funds for 1 system. People like to validate their decisions. An attack on the choices they have made is seen as a personal attack directed at them. Facts don't matter. Truth doesn't matter. You're attacking them and they defend and strike back. The more someone has wrapped up who they are into the choices they've made the harder they'll come at you when you question those choices.

Grimhild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Grimhild

Sometimes feel slighted as a predominantly PC gamer by certain developers ("It's not worth it"). Not to mention a lot of anti-piracy "solutions" that just make the game that I payed for unplayable in some instances, when the people that pirate said game can play it just fine with cracks and hex-editing.

Aside from that, in my own personal experience, the online community for console tend to be a bit more abrasive. I learned quickly when I got my 360 to never use my mic... ever.

I have consoles, but they're usually for exclusive titles, and I hardly play them since I tend to gravitate towards PC games in general.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By AngelN7

You know something I've never understood is the need for PC gamers to remind consoles gamers that their hardware is superior... because WE KNOW! it is I'm pretty sure everyone that's into gaming knows PCs are the better hardware, they (most console gamers) just don't want to pay for them or deal with them , it's like a guy desperately trying to convice you to buy a motorcycle when you want to use a bike (they both accomplish the same thing) , we know the bike is slower we know you can upgrade your motorcycle and I will have to buy a new bike to get a "better experience" instead of buying new parts for it like you do for your motorcycle they just don't want to use one of those I don't see why that makes you upset or even care at all about it, motorcycle guy stop being a jerk.

Zenogiasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#67  Edited By Zenogiasu

@NoelVeiga said:

@Zenogiasu said:

Can someone please explain this dichotomy to me? Because I've never fully understood it. Rather, I've never understood the extent to which some people identify with one and outright despise the other. Why does it seem so much more intense than the contention of fanboyism between the Big Three in the console business?

Am I missing something? I use a keyboard and mouse for one and a controller for the other. Why are some people seemingly willing to kill over this?

Where have you been for the entirety of this business? I mean, if I had to dig into this I'd have to go into history books just to find the roots back in the days when Europe was on this diet of 8 bit computers while the US had a NES boom, probably. Then would come the PC taking over computer games and the bad ports turning PC gamers from demanding console games being ported to hypocritically deriding them as "crappy console ports" (which, come on, how stupid is that?). And then this generation happened and everybody who was stupid got exponentially stupider somehow. I don't have a proper answer for that part.

But yeah, this has always been the case. Why do people seem so baffled by it now? Even before the Genesis vs SNES thing PCs vs Consoles was already a thing.

I'm aware of the roots of the conflict, but I was mostly curious as to why the animosity so intense to this day. The reason that I'm baffled by it now is because I'm just taken aback that people are quibbling about the same thing 30 years later. But, then again, I suppose that there have been stupider arguments that have been dragged out longer.

Glad to see the input from some white-text users, and I think I can see where the majority of you guys are coming from. It's tough for me to identify--I like to have a good gaming PC and a current-gen console at any given time--but I feel like I have a better understanding now.

@Kyodra said:

I think it's the same as people arguing about being circumcised or uncircumcised, both sides are as insecure about their dicks and want to pat themselves on the back before jerking off.

And this: I like this.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By MikkaQ

I don't know, it's fucking stupid. There's a better debate between keyboard and mouse vs. controller but even that's like 50% what works best and 50% preference, so it's still pretty stupid.

I use the best tools for the job, sometimes that's my PC, sometimes it's any of the consoles. Sometimes it's a controller, sometimes it's not. Who cares? None of them are objectively better than the other .

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By stryker1121

Because people have weird stereotypes related to both platforms. Was on another board last week trying to convince some guy that "most" (his word) console players are not in fact 12-year-olds. He was convinced he was right, b/c of all the times he's been on Live playing against said obnoxious tweens.

Then there's the other side that believes PC players are elitist prigs. Ya cannot win either way.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By mandude

Long ago, consoles abducted and murdered the lean key from PCs, and the two sides have been at war ever since.

I wouldn't say that it's people validating their choices, so much as the industry evolving since the popularity of consoles far surpassing that of PCs. The PC is no longer the main platform for developers in the West, and some people resent the fact that they're no longer getting PC games, but instead getting cross-platform games on their PC, which doesn't always work out too well.

Of course, there is some justification in being upset. It's just that it shouldn't be blamed on consoles, but rather on lazy developers. I guess it's like being mad at your ex-boyfriend, but taking out your frustration on his new girlfriend.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#71  Edited By hockeymask27

Because people need to justify there descsions as the right ones. Especially when it comes to spending money on purchases.

TehBuLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By TehBuLL

Not havIng read any of the posts I'm going to say most of it is a bunch of is pc people being upset that publishers are afraid to utilize the very expensive tools we have purchased. I understand the capitalism of a built in audience, but it still upsets me knowing that there could be do much better. Pc people are optimists. We just want the best effort from everyone. If we are going to try our best to make a rig, we expect the best of content. Also if we don't have the best content, we will make it ourselves. Publishers getting rid of the pc tools for games is crippling how the pc community works.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By toowalrus

@Geno said:

Basically uninformed idiots at the extremes of both sides yelling at each other is what fuels the-

I feel like you can finish this sentence with pretty much any major conflict in society today.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#74  Edited By grilledcheez

I think it stems from people trying to justify using one over the other. They end up using arguments that are either shallow or not completely thought out / true, and the other side gets offended and pounces on it. Price / controller seem to be common ones used against the pc that are countered with cheap pc builds / be able to use a controller on a pc ETC.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a98cbe47ca3b
deactivated-5a98cbe47ca3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I feel like Jerry and Mike of Penny Arcade said it best in one of their old podcasts: When we were a certain age we *had* to defend our choice to the death. For us it was in the schoolyard, not so much online, but we largely only had the opportunity to pick one and we had to enjoy and justify the one choice we made. Some of us were SEGA, some of us were Nintendo, etc. Once we become adults, however, and can afford to just buy what we want we (most of us, anyway) come to realize that there are good products on all the platforms and we should just play the games we like. Do I have console preferences? You bet I do. Sometimes they even wax and wane... But I never look down on a person because their primary gaming experience is on a particular console.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#76  Edited By GERALTITUDE

PCs have sweeter games.

If you like slow, long games, buy a PC. If you like to play games from the worlds biggest gaming market, not the market controlled by three corporations, buy a PC. Do you like competitive pricing? Buy a PC. It's great consoles have independent games now but the number and scope of games available on the PC will always be greater. It's true there are games on consoles that never make it to PC, but there are entire genres that don't exist on console.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#77  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

@Video_Game_King said:

Because stupidity.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By BrockNRolla

Because console wars seem less relevant at this stage in the game as they're both nearing their end and exclusives are running thin. So, where are you going to funnel all the indignant rage? How about at graphical fidelity! Hurray! We're back to that I guess... People like to feel superior to one and other. Here's just one more way to measure your imaginary penis.

mackgyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By mackgyver

Fanboys. No more, no less.

C2C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#80  Edited By C2C

Aside from the platform/console cliques that normally develop from fanboys, I think you don't really see it that much animosity between pc and consoles anymore. The animosity was worse when ports from either pc or console were not good.

Samael2138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Samael2138

I've been playing consoles since '87-'88, back in the good old NES days. I just recently(about 2 years ago) got into PC gaming. I totally understand why people prefer consoles. They're simple, you just hook them up and play, and for most people that's about as much as they're willing to do to play a game. Imagine if every game that came out on consoles required you to edit .ini files just to get them working properly.

On the other hand, if you are willing to go a bit further, you are rewarded with some perks, like better FPS, HD textures, Anti-aliasing, etc...

I, personally, want to get the best performance possible. But that's just me.

I couldn't care less what platform someone uses to play games. I'm just stoked to talk to people that love games, period. I'm the only person out of the friends that I hang out with that has a gaming PC. But the conversations we have about Skyrim, Battlefield, COD, etc... are just that. Conversations about Skyrim, Battlefield, COD, etc...

To me, its about experiencing the software, not bitching about what hardware you chose to experience it on.

MC_Hify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By MC_Hify

"The PC developers beat the console developers and what they won was that they got to make console games." - Jeff Gerstman 

Basically, some people feel that by having consoles be the lead platforms for games it makes PC gaming worse.  

10 years ago most of the big western studios had the PC as their lead platform and the console versions of their games were inferior. Then the Xbox came out and western developers got to work with hardware, software, and a platform holder they were used to and they all jumped ship into the console space except for Blizzard and Valve. The genres they loved were made for a wider audience with a different control scheme and they accused developers "dumbing down" their games, see: Deus Ex vs Deus Ex: Invisible War. The PC versions of games became shitty ports that barely worked instead of versions that took advantage of the more powerful PC hardware. 

nomtank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By nomtank

For some people, a gaming device is a huge investment. Naturally they're going to believe that they picked the "best" option.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#84  Edited By xymox

Because people are insecure and need to reconfirm their purchase by badmouthing the stuff that they didn't purchase. Like nomtank said, it's a pricey thing, consoles (and PC's) so it's a "good" way to justify to themselves why they're not buying another console, even if they think some of those games look kind of neat. But at the end of the day it doesn't matter. They're wrong and the whole discussion of PC v Console is unnecessary and pointless because PC's can run every console game *ever* released, and is usually able to do so before the end of a "generation" cycle, when a huge library of good games are out. It's not legal, but that doesn't remove the fact that it can. And I'm sorry, but that kind of does make it the superior platform. Not only can it run all console games ever, but it can also run those games with lesser loadtimes and better graphics. It also works with any bootleg controllers you throw with it, so if you want to play NES on your computer with a bootleg NES controller, as long as you put in the time and effort required to get it up and running, you can. That's a fact, no matter how hard consumers, developers, or lawmakers cry waterfalls about it. And unless "superior" is about something other than the games, I just can't see how a console in any way could be "superior" to a PC. Ever. Heck, you could even send the signal to your TV if that's the part you enjoy about consoles. Sadly though, the current market doesn't allow for that kind of stuff. But it doesn't make it less true.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#85  Edited By Humanity

It is mainly outdated and in part valid but in the past PC games and Console games used to be two very different experiences. You had Jagged Alliance, Battlefield 1942, Fallout 2, X Com etc on the PC while the consoles got games like Metal Gear Solid, Twisted Metal, Street Fighter, Jet Set Radio and on. With the coming of next gen systems you started seeing less PC exclusive complex titles and more console feel games that were coming out on the PC and were not even ported very well. Seeing messages like "don't turn off your console while the game is saving" was one of the earlier marks of annoyance for a pc gamer - as was the sudden disappearance of features that were standard up to that point such as: quick saving, saving anywhere you wanted, modifying the control scheme, in depth graphic options and such. This trend grew and you saw less and less games like Tribes and whatnot coming out for the PC and when it did, like Tribes Vengeance, it was deemed too "consolized" and completely rejected by the community.

These days console games have come a long way and are plenty complex, and although still not as complex as pc titles used to be in their prime they are still great gaming experiences. Games like Deus Ex Human Revolution honor and match the quality of the original Deux Ex that came out on pc and became a cult classic all those years ago. The actual resentment from the past is no longer a 100% justified anymore especially as rampant piracy was one of the main causes of this console focus for developers and publishers alike.

NicksCorner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By NicksCorner

I have been a pc gamer all my life. Never owned my own console. I do feel like Im missing out. I bought a controller for Windows and have picked up a few games, but I usually put em down really fast as I have trouble with the controls (trying to teach an old dog new tricks).

All this is fine and I feel I chose my own path and I have always enjoyed the games available to me.

What rubs me the wrong way is that so many bad ports exists. Each device has its strengths but very often my experience is hindered by design choices that must have come from some certification process.

Example: Im replaying ME3 as we speak. The game starts with a nice spashscreen. A vista of Earth under assault. It states "Press any key to begin the game". And this is where my panties get in a twist. After hitting "any key" the game then proceeds to the Main menu. But the main menu isn't ready yet. First we must call up EA to make sure Im not a nasty pirate. THEN, it checks to see what DLC I have installed. These steps take about 15 secs.

And this happens every time I go to the main menu.

This game is already loading via Origin. It baffles me that these checks weren't included in the launcher.

And that's my stance. I love my PC, I don't care or mind consoles. But fuck em when they undermine the benefits of having a gaming rig.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Bell_End

people need to understand just how serious video games are and how important it is to get really fucking angry about really little trival things.

the more angry you get the more hardcore and serious gamer you are.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Vodun

@Morrow said:

How I see it, it's a typical guy thing. Just like mine is bigger, it's my device is more powerful, my graphics are better, my controls are better, etc.

Usually PC gamers act a little stuck up, because they feel their game experience is more valuable because they have a more powerful machine that provides better graphics, or easier controls. Consoleros usually reply that they prefer consoles because they don't need to upgrade them every year or every two years, which can be pretty expensive.

I say, live and let live. Diversity is important.

As long as you admit that my PC is huge.

Arbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Arbie

I'm with you

I don't see why people need to be snarky about it when really it should be interesting to learn the differences in both and just talk about games haha. I used to play both but now I only play console after committing computer abuse. If I had the chance though there are games that I would rather play on PC (that is, an amazing pc!) and I've always wanted to mess around with mods, but I'm more than content to play on console. =]

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Ares42

I gotta say it's a bit sad to see how much of a "fanboys being fanboys" and "haters gonna hate" attitude there is in this thread. I get that internet is a crappy place and people are fucking stupid, but if your stance when people have strong opposing opinions is always that they can't have any rational argument behind them that's pretty much as bad as the projected persona you're imagining. Yes, people scream and shout and say stupid stuff, but most of the time it's just because noone's actually interested (or have the ability) to actually discuss it. However if you try to talk to these people most of them will actually have some reasoning behind their opinion, which you may or may not agree with.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Jimbo

@runcrash said:

"The PC developers beat the console developers and what they won was that they got to make console games." - Jeff Gerstman

Funny, I seem to recall him saying pretty much the opposite of that before. Something along the lines of consoles 'winning' but now being full of (what were traditionally) PC games anyway.

Which is true really - consoles 'beat' PCs effectively by becoming living room compatible PCs, and it looks like they're only going to keep on heading in that direction. The whole exercise has just been a long-winded way of getting a closed PC into your living room so they can turn it into a storefront and sell you shit on it. Turning your living room into a storefront and taking a cut of everything you buy through it - that's where the real money is going forward. It's also why traditional retailers will be cut out of the loop the second it's feasible for them to do so.

My money still says the next consoles will offer a significantly cheaper digital-only SKU.

/tangent

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By frankfartmouth

@runcrash said:

"The PC developers beat the console developers and what they won was that they got to make console games." - Jeff Gerstman Basically, some people feel that by having consoles be the lead platforms for games it makes PC gaming worse. 10 years ago most of the big western studios had the PC as their lead platform and the console versions of their games were inferior. Then the Xbox came out and western developers got to work with hardware, software, and a platform holder they were used to and they all jumped ship into the console space except for Blizzard and Valve. The genres they loved were made for a wider audience with a different control scheme and they accused developers "dumbing down" their games, see: Deus Ex vs Deus Ex: Invisible War. The PC versions of games became shitty ports that barely worked instead of versions that took advantage of the more powerful PC hardware.

This is the best answer I've seen. And it's all true. Although many of them are jerks about it, PC gamers--like myself--really do have a legitimate complaint about what's happened to the platform in recent years. But they're often such pricks about it, making individual attacks against console gamers for "personally ruining" their favorite platform, that the latter then retailiate on forums and the such, hence some of the animosity.

I don't get into all the personal attacks and fanboy crap and elitist nonsense, but I do acknowlege that PC gaming is totally different than it was just 10 years ago. It's like if the 360 and the PS3 all but completely abandoned hardcore gaming to catch up with the Wii. It's not been a welcome change for most PC enthusiasts.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Jimbo

@Xymox said:

Because people are insecure and need to reconfirm their purchase by badmouthing the stuff that they didn't purchase.

Not sure if it's often that from a PC perspective. I think people who game on (relatively) expensive PCs usually tend to have at least one of the consoles. It's not a case of badmouthing PS3 or 360 for me, just being realistic about their limitations compared to a good PC.

I always find it kinda patronising to pat 'console gamers' on the head and say "There, there, it's ok. Yours is better at other things!" It isn't better at other things. They know what they bought and shouldn't need to bull it up to be more than it is in order to justify it to themselves. Consoles are a simple and great value solution for gaming, but let's not pretend they can hang in terms of versatility or quality, because that's ridiculous.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I think you mean "Why do people need to make other people believe the same thing they do?"

Welcome to our shitty Earth.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Samaritan

Because some people need to feel that their preference is the superior one.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Humanity

@frankfartmouth said:

@runcrash said:

"The PC developers beat the console developers and what they won was that they got to make console games." - Jeff Gerstman Basically, some people feel that by having consoles be the lead platforms for games it makes PC gaming worse. 10 years ago most of the big western studios had the PC as their lead platform and the console versions of their games were inferior. Then the Xbox came out and western developers got to work with hardware, software, and a platform holder they were used to and they all jumped ship into the console space except for Blizzard and Valve. The genres they loved were made for a wider audience with a different control scheme and they accused developers "dumbing down" their games, see: Deus Ex vs Deus Ex: Invisible War. The PC versions of games became shitty ports that barely worked instead of versions that took advantage of the more powerful PC hardware.

This is the best answer I've seen. And it's all true. Although many of them are jerks about it, PC gamers--like myself--really do have a legitimate complaint about what's happened to the platform in recent years. But they're often such pricks about it, making individual attacks against console gamers for "personally ruining" their favorite platform, that the latter then retailiate on forums and the such, hence some of the animosity.

I don't get into all the personal attacks and fanboy crap and elitist nonsense, but I do acknowlege that PC gaming is totally different than it was just 10 years ago. It's like if the 360 and the PS3 all but completely abandoned hardcore gaming to catch up with the Wii. It's not been a welcome change for most PC enthusiasts.

Except for older players that remember having pc games with a million different sliders and controls that suddenly started disappearing, and getting replaced with just barebones controls and sometimes leftover text from the console version of the game - everyone else is just jumping on a bandwagon they know nothing about. Only older players can have any legitimate concerns because they remember playing games like System Shock that really tried to break boundaries and then all of a sudden everything took a slight nosedive.

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By frankfartmouth

@Humanity said:

Except for older players that remember having pc games with a million different sliders and controls that suddenly started disappearing, and getting replaced with just barebones controls and sometimes leftover text from the console version of the game - everyone else is just jumping on a bandwagon they know nothing about. Only older players can have any legitimate concerns because they remember playing games like System Shock that really tried to break boundaries and then all of a sudden everything took a slight nosedive.

You're absolutely right. Most of the noise built up around it is just people who have heard the rabble and are jumping in the fray for the sake of it.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#98  Edited By impartialgecko

Gamers can't grow up and learn to love.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Humanity

@frankfartmouth said:

@Humanity said:

You're absolutely right. Most of the noise built up around it is just people who have heard the rabble and are jumping in the fray for the sake of it.

I used to be a PC gamer for the longest time but I'm a gamer at heart and I go where the games are - and lets be honest, the PC is not where the games are happening right now. Certainly there are some titles that look amazing on PC and are probably worth the wait, as PC releases are almost always delayed, I just want to play the games when they come out. I made the jump to 360 a couple of years ago and I'm fine I honestly never felt some huge pangs of regret over not upgrading my pc anymore and playing stuff at 1920x1080 with AA and AF bumped up to x99. I was sour when PC games started getting kinda simplified and a lot of bad ports were coming out around 2005 or so and I was missing out on titles like Metal Gear Solid - so I just switched. I feel no venom for current PC gamers - if I had some super beefy PC maybe I'd play some of those console games like Skyrim on my desktop instead but honestly I got so used to just playing things that are optimized for my console and don't crash, or stutter that I'm not sure if the increase in graphics is worth it for me anymore. Also, the internet is a terrible place.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Morrow

@Vodun said:

@Morrow said:

How I see it, it's a typical guy thing. Just like mine is bigger, it's my device is more powerful, my graphics are better, my controls are better, etc.

Usually PC gamers act a little stuck up, because they feel their game experience is more valuable because they have a more powerful machine that provides better graphics, or easier controls. Consoleros usually reply that they prefer consoles because they don't need to upgrade them every year or every two years, which can be pretty expensive.

I say, live and let live. Diversity is important.

As long as you admit that my PC is huge.

As long as you understand that size isn't everything :D