• 89 results
#1 Edited by videogameninja (147 posts) -

Like the heading says, what’s the furthest lengths you have personally gone to acquire a game?

Did some of you in your quest to seek out that rare and elusive title resort to unconventional means in order to get it in your grubby little mitts?

Have any of you ever gone so far as to... kill someone for a game?!

-Okay, Ninja. Dial it back a few notches.-

Hey, I’m sure there’s some psychopath out there that has.

-Yeah, Ninja. You see him every day in the mirror.-

All joking aside, this may seem like a minor (and even in some respects, trivial.) question to ask especially when one sits back and considers the bevy of different resources and methods at one’s fingertips these days such as 2 days shipping from services like Amazon or even more convenient digital purchases, but for gamers who didn’t grow up in an era of such convenience and widespread availability sometimes tracking down that rare and elusive game stood out more than the actual game in question.

For myself that special game was none other than Dragon Ball GT: Final Bout for the Playstation.

No Caption Provided

“What?” You say. “Dragon Ball GT: Final Bout?”

Trust me, I can already hear your scoffs of disapproval but a little background is in order.

-Oh boy, here we go.-

Back in the early to mid 90’s very few people had heard of the term Dragon Ball. Even fewer had heard of the same name with the letter Z tacked on at the end as hard as that is to believe in today’s world where virtually everyone under the age of 40 knows or has heard of it in some capacity.

Back in 1996 (If my memory serves me correctly.) an obscure T.V station was airing a “new” fighting series named Dragon Ball Z early Saturday mornings much to my surprise. I had personally never seen anything quite like it, a super-hero/fighting type cartoon with more heavy themes and plot devices that other “kids” cartoons at the time just weren’t even close to. For the love of Miyamoto, what other cartoon back in the 80’s to 90’s (geared towards kids.) had the main character die off in the first 4 episodes? To say I was watching something unique and different for the time period in question was quite an understatement.

As such, I became quickly enamored with everything Dragon Ball/Z related and spent many a year seeking out further episodes (The station only aired the first saga.) and information on later characters and subsequent story arcs. Bear in mind this is still 1996/1997, a time in which Dragon Ball Z in the West was not the juggernaut it still is today.

I went to painstaking lengths to find out more about later entries in the franchise, even resorting to purchasing foreign VHS tapes (For younger gamers out there that don’t know what those are GOOGLE it, lol.) at $30 each for 2 to 3 episodes all in an attempt to find out what happened next in each saga.

Yeah, I was committed.

-Committed, Ninja? Or do you mean you should have been committed?-

It was only a matter of time before I started seeking out videogame adaptations of my new favorite obsession…err, I mean T.V show.

Unfortunately, back in 1996 (as I eluded to.) Dragon Ball Z was still more of a niche thing. Very few people knew anything about it and the ones that did often confused Z with the original Dragon Ball that had been aired prior to Z (only the first 12 episodes.).

It shouldn’t come as a surprise that there was absolutely ZERO in the way of Dragon Ball related games in the West for any of the major video gaming consoles at the time.

It wasn’t until one day I was in a Zellers (remember those?) in the electronics section that I saw my first glimpse of a Dragon Ball game. Back then Zellers would sell what I can only describe as true indie computer games. What I mean by that is someone (literally one person.) would make a kind of crude game and put it on a hard disk (GOOGLE IT!) and sell it for $5. While looking though this pile of unwanted gaming rejects I stumbled upon my first Dragon Ball game.

The image on the front had Goku and Krillin facing off against each other on a crude kind of paper cover. On the back of the hard disc was a simple explanation of what the game was about. The programmer admitted that he had made a simple fighting game based on a manga comic he had seen on a store shelf in China town. He had no idea what it was about but thought it looked interesting so he made a cheap fighter based on the 2 characters he had seen on the cover which he had unknowingly named something to the effect of Bryce Lee (Goku.) and Jackiee chin (krillin.). Those probably aren’t the exact names he used but it was something similar to a rip-off of more well-known martial arts action stars.

Even though this guy clearly had no idea what he was doing (or even the source material for that matter.) I purchased the game without question like a rabid dog. I went home and booted up my Computer and placed the disc in, completely hyped to finally play a videogame adaptation of my favorite show.

To say this game was bad is doing a disservice to the word bad. This one of the worst videogames (if you could even call it that.) I have ever played in my entire life… EVER!!!! I’m talking on the level of E.T on the Atari. It made games like Superman 64 look and play like Zelda in comparison. Yeah, it really was that bad.

The game comprised of 2 buttons for attacks and moving from left to right. If you moved too far left a line would come down the center of the screen to symbolize the distance between the 2 combatants.

Yeah, it was bad. Scratch that, it was terrible. But I played it to death. Now I know what you might be thinking. “Oh, Ninja. Let us guess. You loved it. You have a sentimental place for it in your heart.”

NOT AT ALL!

I absolutely loathed playing that horrid piece of garbage. When I say that I played it to death I meant that I played it for a few days and that was it. The truth is the game in question would probably only hold most people’s attention for 2 minutes. Yeah, it was that BAD! Combined with the fact that it was just a 1 on 1 fighter that had matches that only lasted about 5 seconds (Yeah, that’s right. 5 seconds!) and it just made my extended play-time with it that much more impressive.

But what kept me going back for more like a battered wife (-That was totally unnecessary, Ninja.-) was that it was ALL I HAD.

Fast forward about a year. I had given up on finding anything dragon Ball related in regards to videogames seeing as how nothing existed at the time so like many I just busied myself with the regular big name mainstream games that were making headlines in the video gaming world at the time.

It wasn’t until I saw an advertisement in the back of one of my gaming magazines (GAMEFAN.) that it was revealed to me that “real” Dragon Ball games did in fact exist despite my minor setback earlier in the year.

Thanks to these magazines I was now introduced to the world of import gaming. I know many of you were probably screaming at the top of your lungs earlier “NINJA! There have been tons of Dragon Ball Games available before 1997” and guess what? You would all be right, but once again remember the time period and the context.

This was during the infancy of the internet, as such when it came to video gaming all of our news as gamers came from limited sources like the magazines. People went to places like Toy’s R’ Us, Walmart, or other such stores that had videogames (as games were still seen of during those days as kids products.) and whatever they had was whatever they had. The whole idea of Importing games was such a foreign concept (-I see what you did there, Ninja-) that only a select few even had it on their radar.

Well, that all changed that fateful day my eyes landed on that advertisement in the back of that GAMEFAN magazine. There was a whole section devoted to Japanese/Import titles, everything from Rockman (Wait… isn’t that, Megaman!) to the latest King of Fighters game. But what my eyes gravitated to was something they had yearned for for what had felt like a small eternity

-Eternity, Ninja? Like the length of this post?-

At the very top of the page were a series of words that at that time made me hold my breath.

DRAGON BALL GT: FINAL BOUT

At that moment I knew I had to have it.

I followed the description down the page to a place called GAME CAVE, a store located in California that specialized in major video game releases as well as more of the rare and hard to find titles. It also came as no surprise that they had quite the selection of import titles, titles fans of mangas, animes, and the likes would give their left thumb to get a hold of.

No Caption Provided

Living in a different country at the time it wasn’t as easy as just picking up the phone and dialing, especially when you consider I was a young Ninja at this period in time. As such I had to convince my parents that I simply HAD to have this obscure game from an obscure store using an even more obscure method of delivery.

“Don’t they have this game at the store?” my parents asked. “Why can’t you just get it there?” For many weeks I had to constantly convince them that this game would probably never come to a local store (little did I know it would be released in the U.S at a much later date, lol.) and that I had been waiting my whole life (despite just finding out about Dragon Ball a year prior, lol.) for this game.

Whether it was out of pity or just plain annoyance (-Knowing you, Ninja. Definitely the last one.-) my parents folded. They phoned up the GAMECAVE and asked about getting their young Ninja this rare and obscure game that he just had to have.

Unfortunately, they were all completely sold out of it.

:(

Just my luck. However, they did inform my parents that they did have one copy left. A demo copy they had on one of their displays for customers strolling in the store to play and check out. I didn’t even hesitate for a second. “YES!” I pleaded. And the rest, as they say, is history.

There have been very few times I have ever been so excited as I was the day that game arrived. I ripped it out of the package looking at all the Japanese lettering on the front and back. I didn’t understand a word of what it said (-But we thought you were a Ninja, Ninja?-) but it didn’t matter.

I had finally gotten hold of a real Dragon Ball game!

Seeing as how my Playstation was a domestic unit it was not meant to play Import games. GAMECAVE had sent a little pamphlet with instructions on how to “fool” the domestic Playstation so that it would read the import game. In addition to the pamphlet they gave me a small coil spring (Where I'm pointing in the pic below.) to put in the inside of the Playstation to somehow trick it into thinking it was really a domestic game. They also sent with my game a kind of adapter to be placed on the back of the console. Once again, this was all done in an attempt to fool the device into reading and subsequently playing the disc. Well, it worked. And yes, I’m happy to say I was finally able to play my beloved Dragon Ball game.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

I’m going to be honest. This game was terrible. Not as bad as that terrible indie programmer hard disc but this was definitely nowhere near as good as many of the Dragon Ball titles out today; or even for that matter the titles released in the early 2000’s. Yeah, I was disappointed. But y’know what? I was finally playing Dragon Ball. And even though I knew deep down that it wasn’t a good game for that short window of time I was content.

Despite the Dragon Ball games having gotten a lot better from those early beginnings (Budokai, Burst Limit, Xenoverse, etc…) a part of me was always holding out for the hope that one day I would finally see that perfect marriage of Dragon Ball and Fighting game that I knew was possible.

Playing games like X-men vs Street fighter or Marvel vs Capcom during those very same years only made the disparity between those early Dragon ball games and the aforementioned titles even more jarring and subsequently the desire for a true tournament level Dragon Ball fighting game became all the more pronounced in my mind.

This is personally part of the reason why I am so impressed with the latest Dragon Ball Fighter Z game. For that young Ninja almost 20 years ago it was the game he was hoping to first place his grubby little ninja mitts on and even though it took nearly a quarter of a century to finally do so it was better late than never.

So, Giant Bomb community, what was the furthest lengths or the most effort you had to go to acquire a game?

-DRAGON BALLED NINJA APPROVED-

#2 Posted by OurSin_360 (6089 posts) -

I played the mess out of that game and loved it at the time lol.

I would say the furthest i went was to import a japanese psx to play dbz legends(the best dragonball game ever made).

#3 Edited by BladedEdge (1284 posts) -

Does tracking down a copy of Illusion of Gaia for the SNES via calling every pawn-shop in the phone book (one by one) until I lucked out count? I remember getting to like 22-25 or so before I hit. If it helps, this was some years after the game released and I honestly can't think of how I would have found it otherwise.

If not the best I've got is how pre game-stop days the only place to get rare JPRGs in my area was, randomly, the local (and by local I mean 35 miles away) toys-r-us. I spent weeks trying to get my hand's on Lunar 1 for the PS1 and while shopping over christmas for, I want to say charity for some kids in need cause we were in the area randomly cause I was well past the age to visit said store just for me. Randomly I realized "Oh hey, they sale video games, I play those..I might as well check" and lo and behold..they had a copy!"

After that, that store felt like my secret go-too stop no one else knew about. I distinctly remember going back there to pick up Lunar 2 (hand-puppet and all) and it was where I got my original PS3 at the height of the scarcity for such. Not a place one needs with amazon, but back before wide-spread internet that place was a god-send.

#4 Posted by MattGiersoni (587 posts) -

Nothing special, the worst was when I had to go to 5 different stores and found a game in the 6th one. Another one was importing Skyward Sword 25th anniversary edition for the Wii from UK simply bc it was a special edition and it was cheaper than the normal edition in my country. I know these are nothing crazy or special and others have way more intense stories haha. Never really had to go to some crazy lenghts to get a game.

#5 Posted by owack6 (346 posts) -

I stole money once to pay for a WoW subscription.

Not the proudest day in my life.

In my defense, there was an important raid and i was the main tank!

#6 Posted by avantegardener (2348 posts) -

@owack6 said:

You did what you had to do...I'm assuming you stole this money from a parent or grandparent and not a liquor store. Speaks more to the frenzy of WoW, more importantly could you imagine doing that now for video game?

#7 Edited by owack6 (346 posts) -

@owack6 said:

You did what you had to do...I'm assuming you stole this money from a parent or grandparent and not a liquor store. Speaks more to the frenzy of WoW, more importantly could you imagine doing that now for video game?

Not really. that is something kids do in the frenzy of a new fad.

As an adult i would call behavior like that pathological.

It is so easy to get your hands on any new game even if you can't afford it through pirating so i just don't see why you would it nowadays.

#8 Edited by oldenglishc (1535 posts) -

Drove about 200 miles round trip for a copy of Ar Tenelico 2 in 2009.

Don't judge me. Gust makes a pretty good game when they want to.

#9 Posted by FrodoBaggins (1840 posts) -

I once drove 20 minutes to my local game shop to buy a game. On a Sunday.

#10 Posted by Slag (8121 posts) -

Hmmm,

Nothing that crazy I guess. I mean i've done the whole almost overnight night camp out at Gamestop for a new console thing before.

I got the last Wii at my local gamestop when it launched after a 4 hour wait. There was a preacher behind me on crutches who wanted one for the kids in his congregation. I still kept my chance to get one instead of offering to let him jump me in line ( He didn't ask)....

I'm a bad person, probably.

#11 Edited by obese_chipmunk (29 posts) -

A few months back I shipped two PS3 games (Zone of the Enders HD Collection and El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron) to my aunt and uncle's place in California (I live in Toronto). I went on gamestop.com (rather than the much suckier gamestop.ca) to do this. I spent way too long trying to trick gamestop.com that I was an American consumer, and ended up having to borrow my uncle's American credit card to make the transaction because gamestop.com didn't like my Canadian credit cards.

Anyways, my aunt and uncle came to visit and brought the games along. Of course, I still haven't got around to playing them yet thanks to my terrible game-playing habits and huge backlog of games.

This might all sound dumb and kind of unnecessary (and maybe it is), but these games are absurdly priced and hard to find in Canada (El Shaddai was only ever new and $50 - Zone of the Enders was about the same, even though they came out like 7 years ago). Really, I did something that a lot of Canadians do. I cross-border shopped without crossing the border.

#12 Posted by Kamui97 (95 posts) -

On our family's first trip to the US, we drove 11 hours from Edmonton to visit Seattle/Portland. Throughout the entire trip, my only goal was to track down a copy of Bully, so we visited every used game shop i could find within reason. On one of the last days, we drove by this run down, about to shut down place, and i finally found a copy. Bully ended up being my first non-sports PS2 game, and probably one of my favorite games ever.

Also, as a ~6-7th grader immigrant with little context on western culture, Bully provided me with a VERY vivid impression of my future school/classmates..

#13 Posted by TheRealMoot (653 posts) -

Getting my hands on a copy of Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition was the worst thing i've ever gone through in my life to get a game and I hate everyone who was involved with the process. It started with going to the only EBgames in my town every day for two months (An hour drive from my house at the time) to try and get my hands on a copy when it first came out. They got 1 in there initial shipment. ONE copy. They continued to get only one copy per week. They canceled everyone's pre-orders and refused to refund the money because reasons. They would call up everyone on a call list who wanted the game and tell them that's week copy had come in and it would be sold to whoever showed up first. I got my copy 2 months into there little scheme. I don't know what the hell caused this but it was hell. And because it was the only game store in town, I had to do it.

I also had a hell of a time getting my hands on a copy of DBGT: Final Bout back in the day. The only store that got a copy when it was re-released was charging a couple hundred bucks for the game because they thought they got shipped original prints of the game, not the reprint that had been issued in the early 2000's. I found a copy a few years later at a pawn shop for $10 but the disk was non functioning. I've always wanted to have a functioning copy of that beautiful mess of a game.

#14 Posted by videogameninja (147 posts) -

I played the mess out of that game and loved it at the time lol.

I would say the furthest i went was to import a japanese psx to play dbz legends(the best dragonball game ever made).

Before Dragon Ball Fighter Z came out I kept on hearing this. I was so tempted to get this over GT final bout but at the time ( as you know.) the 3-D trend was all the rage and automatically meant a game had to be "better".

;)

Legends is probably one of those "gaming regrets" I still have to this day but I am more than content with FighterZ right now and truthfully don't see how any Dragon Ball game from the past can usurp it's title. It's just that good. Just out of curiosity, how did Legends play? Fighter Z is more in line with a proper tournament level fighting game and the best comparison is probably something like Marvel vs Capcom or a street fighter title.

Was legends similar or did it feel like something completely different?

-A LEGEND IS BORN NINJA APPROVED-

#15 Posted by soulcake (2459 posts) -

A remember me and my dad going to every electronics store we know to get Pokémon blue. In the end we ended up ordering it from a black market re seller who knew a guy in France who could deliver the game in a week. It was a original copy and not some weird pirated copy to my surprise. I am glad games went digital !

#16 Posted by Panfoot (264 posts) -

It took 3 gamestops, one best buy, a circuit city, and a toy's r us to track down a single copy of ChromeHounds on release day. After that I started to pre-order the more niche games that I was interested in, though at one point one of the gamestops seemed to almost specialize in getting in a bunch of weird games for nobody. I ended up getting Tenchu Z, Vampire Rain, Battlestations: Midway and even Deadly Premonition(a couple days before release!) there just off the shelf.

I think I rented Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire about 5 times from blockbuster before finally tracking down a used copy, though this was about 4 or 5 years after release, right around the time of the PS2 launch I think.

Also spent a long time trying to hunt down Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb too, also some time after release.

#17 Posted by Sahalarious (654 posts) -

When I found out that Red Dead Redemption had been shipped and was just held back by the "street date" I was determined to find a store that would break the date. I was 18 at the time, had my first car and first job and decided that I was going to get that damned game, mere days before launch.

I went to every single store that sold so much as a pack of batteries, begging, hunting, scheming for the game. After the better part of 5 hours of driving and skulking around these stores, a man at Sears handed me the game. Fucking Sears. I was so happy, so proud, that my effort had paid off and that I was minutes away from shooting some cowboys. Then he went to ring me up, and the deafaning roar of the scanner error still haunts me to this day. "sorry bud, i guess i can't sell you this one until next week, I had no idea" . I learned that day to never try, and that KFC and Natty Ice can heal some serious wounds.

#18 Posted by mems1224 (2439 posts) -

I once drove 10 minutes to the closest game stop and bought a game. Then they proceeded to give me a used copy of Dragon Age Origins and charged me full price. And that was the last time I went to gamestop or to any store for a game.

#19 Posted by OurSin_360 (6089 posts) -

@videogameninja: legends is basically what xenoverse tries to be, check out some vids on youtube. To me it was the only game that ever captured the feel of the show completely.

#20 Posted by nutter (1615 posts) -

Nothing so exciting...I remember driving around looking for Morrowind the day it was released, 8 days before my wedding...with my fiancé. This was 16 years ago. Back in those days, you had no idea which stores would get which games or when. I probably dragged her to 8 stores before finding a copy.

I cut classes one day to get my hands on WCW/NWO Revenge on the N64. It involved waiting for the Gamestop at the mall to open, pressing the poor guy there for UPS or FedEX details, and half-accosting the delivery guy to the point where he just handed me the game out of the box. It lead to a weekend of about a dozen kids hanging out, playing that damned game, and getting up to general nonsense and no good.

The furthest length I can recall was probably not my effort, but my wife’s. This is back when we were engaged, pre-Morrowind. She knew I loved those AKI N64 wrestling games and went so far as to get me my first and only game import, Virtual Pro Wrestling 2. We had to look for tools to mod the N64, but it wound up being easier to just get a Gameshark.

#21 Posted by nutter (1615 posts) -

@mems1224: They did that to me with the first Splinter Cell. Today, I’d tell them to screw off, but back then I was just kinda shocked that they’d sell me an open game for the new price.

They tried some similar crap when I bought a used game there once (again, YEARS ago). They gave me this nasty, messed up Rainbow Six 3 disc and I said no. I asked what else they had and there was a pristine copy. The employee said he’d only sell me the one he first showed me since they’re the same. I said that if they’re the same, he should have no trouble selling the one I preferred.

After about five minutes, he gave me the better disc...I kinda messed with his accessory sales and pre-order pitches, so he wanted to be rid of me.

#22 Posted by zombiepenguin9 (734 posts) -

@mems1224: I had a very similar experience trying to find Skyrim for the Xbox 360. Game Stop sold me a used copy for $60, claiming it had just been opened but never played or something like that. When I got it home I found that the map was dog-eared and generally it was not "like new." Ended up returning it and going to a Wal-mart the next state over.

That's probably the most physical trekking I've done for a game, but I've gone to a lot of trouble to make sure I get the right edition when ordering online before. Not a fan of the platinum release style cases where the spine is white with plain text, which you run the risk of getting if just ordering a new copy on Amazon or something.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
#23 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (7817 posts) -

Bids on ebay.

#24 Edited by Tom_omb (1053 posts) -

Don't think I've ever gone through too much trouble to find a game. I'm not a collector of rare, old, or import games. I only time I can remember even ordering a game online was for Wind Waker because I wanted the bonus disks that came with it.

I don't like pirating games, but when I couldn't find Psychonauts anywhere I eventually did. Frustratingly played through it with a keyboard, if that counts. When I discovered it was available on the 360 as an Xbox Originals download I eventually did buy it.

I've been kind of lucky stumbling upon old games in the past. Found a beat up old box of Grim Fandango in EB games, went to Futureshop (speaking of defunct Canadian retailers) once on a mission to buy The Simpsons Cartoon Studio, and they surprisingly had it. This was back when they had racks of PC games in jewel cases.

Years later Futureshop had a promotion where they were starting to get into used games. I got AC: Black Flag for free (when it was new) if I traded in some games. I remember it being a much better deal than what EB Games offers. One to one maybe? Doesn't seem right, but it was enough for me to wait in line for a long time.

#25 Posted by videogameninja (147 posts) -

@soulcake said:

A remember me and my dad going to every electronics store we know to get Pokémon blue. In the end we ended up ordering it from a black market re seller who knew a guy in France who could deliver the game in a week. It was a original copy and not some weird pirated copy to my surprise. I am glad games went digital !

As much as many on here (myself included.) complain about digital only titles and how owning a physical hard copy is preferred in many cases over the former, stories and examples like these really do make you appreciate the convenience and availability of the game market nowadays thanks to digital services.

-DIGITAL CONVENIENCE NINJA APPROVED-

#26 Posted by Craigieboy (112 posts) -

I don't really have any interesting stories of tracking down rare, obscure games. There was some odd occasions years ago when certain games were tricky to buy at launch due to supply and demand (I remember GTA: SA been fairly hard to buy on day one in my area) but these days that problem doesn't really happen anymore.

There was also a few years ago when I went to order 3D Dot Game Heroes off Amazon a few years ago and it took a while to get to my home (over 2 weeks to my memory) and I wasn't sure what was going on until I got the game and it was a North American copy that had been imported to the UK where I live. Either I accidently ordered from the US amazon website or they ran out of EU copies and had to import some american ones.

#27 Posted by Rigas (765 posts) -

I wobbled out of a hospital bed to get Wind Waker. I has preordered it a million years previously. I was going to be discharged in a day or two anyway. Was just a little wobbley still. So I arrive at the store at opening time. As an less informed youth, I expected throngs of people crowding around the corner. There was not.

I shuffled in the door, the guy looked me up and down said "Zelda?" I must have had that glint in my eye.

Got the game and went back to th hospital and was discharged the next day. My mother called me an idiot. Good times.

In other hospital related video game stories I was recovering from surgery when Half Life 2 came out. I personally didn't care but the guy in the bed next to me, was begging the doctors all week to be let out early so he could get HL 2.

#28 Edited by jewunit (1152 posts) -

I walked a little under 8 total miles for a copy of Fire Pro Wrestling 2 for the GBA. It...was not as good as the first one.

I remember using AmiAmi for the first time to import an Eyeshield 21 game for the DS. I wanted the cheapest shipping, so the darn thing came by boat. It took about a month to arrive, but I was elated when it did.

#29 Edited by Ratinho (89 posts) -

Signed up to a different countries PSN

#30 Posted by Zelyre (1894 posts) -

As a kid, I remember going to the mall with a bag of coins to buy Dark Forces for the PC.

In my early 20's, I played Tactics Ogre on a friend's GBA, wanted a copy but found it was out of print - so I ordered a copy off ebay. I put about 20 hours into the game. Was heads over heels in love with it. And my save just went poof - the battery died. So I emailed Atlus. It was a faked cart and they couldn't do anything for me outside of give me information on how to spot a fake. So, I went to every place that sold used games looking for a legit copy. Fortunately, at the time, the mall had both an EB Games AND a Gamestop. A block away was another Gamestop, etc. I still ended up going to a half dozen places before I actually found a legit cart.

I played it for an hour and never picked it up again...

#31 Posted by BaneFireLord (3542 posts) -

Not physical lengths, but monetary lengths. I paid an additional $20 to get Red Dead Redemption next day airmailed when the local K-Mart (the only shop that sold games within 150 miles) sold out on launch day. Zero regrets.

#32 Posted by DinosaurCanada (938 posts) -

Well, right now I'm attempting to find local copies of Yakuza 2 and 3 and a PS3 fat to play them on, and its more of a pain in the ass than it should be.

#33 Posted by tfarcevol (9 posts) -

At anime expo 97 I bought an import copy of Real Bout Special Dominated Mind. Later I sent off my PlayStation to have it modded so it could run my only import game.

Years later I sprung for a very abused 4 slot Neo Geo arcade cabinate from a dying local arcade. I began my collection of the fatal furies and art of fighting franchises via e bay. SNK had gone under and I figured this was my only way to ever play these mystical arcade gems from my childhood. I had the cabinet for about 4 months and then the SNK classic collections were announced for Playstaion 2. Every game I wanted I could get for around twenty bucks per complete series as opposed to the 400 plus I had spent on the cabinet and Mvs carts.

#34 Posted by Ryuku_Ryosake (444 posts) -

We could get into the various myriad hoops I have hopped through to play Korean MMO's on Korean servers.

BUT the true answer is I managed to sign up to PlayOnline and managed to sub and play FFXI. Which @audiobusting detailed in this post is a herculean task.

#35 Posted by Sustenance (8 posts) -

In 2004 I jumped through hoops to import a European copy of Shenmue II for the Dreamcast. This was still early internet days, so finding a site that would sell it to me wasn't easy. But I didn't have to drive six states over or steal anyone's lunch money.

Still have it. Still haven't played it.

#36 Edited by Rejizzle (1021 posts) -

Fire Emblem: Awakening came out a day before I took a trip to visit family. So, the day before my flight I go to EB Games in St. John's Newfoundland, and they were sold out of copies of the game. So I go to Walmart, and they too are sold out of copies of the game. Anyways, I figure it's not a big deal, I have a book to read for my flight.

Anyways, During my flight we make a stopover in Halifax Nova Scotia, and due to inclement weather in Ontario, by half-hour delay turns into a 4 hour delay. So I figure instead of waiting around the airport I'll check out a nearby mall for the game. EB, Sears, Zellers, none had the game. So I head back to the airport, no game in hand.

I get to Kingston Ontario, first thing I do is go to Best Buy: no game. EB Games: no game. Walmart: no game. Toys R Us: no game. Across three Canadian provinces there are no copies of Fire Emblem: Awakening anywhere!

So I just go home and download the game on the eshop... I probably could have made that easier on myself...

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
#37 Posted by hippie_genocide (2388 posts) -

@ryuku_ryosake: Oh wow, that is a good pull. Yeah that's my answer too. Signing up for a PlayOnline account, registering the game and content ID's and actually playing FFXI is the furthest I've ever gone to play a game. It was so messed up they even had their own currency to pay monthly fees. Crysta, remember that?

#38 Posted by Ryuku_Ryosake (444 posts) -

@hippie_genocide: I'm happy to inform you that Crysta still exists. You can pay for a FFXIV account with it. I also seem to recall that the original open beta for 1.0 used PlayOnline. Truly the first sign that the original version of XIV was doomed to failure.

#39 Posted by videogameninja (147 posts) -

@videogameninja: legends is basically what xenoverse tries to be, check out some vids on youtube. To me it was the only game that ever captured the feel of the show completely.

I checked out some vids on youtube as you recommended but left a little confused (I mean, more than I already am, lol.).

From the vids I saw Legends seemed very, whats the word? Primitive? And no, I don;t mean that in a condescending way.

What I was watching looked like it belonged on the orginal NES yet i distinctly remember it being a Playstation title. There seemed like there was no finesse or skill involved in it either; almost like it was just a bunch of spastic moves being input. Is this the same game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3MHRsH3b4Q

From what I remember I do recall fans of the series saying that Legends was the best Dragon Ball game before the likes of some of the later titles like Xenoverse and obviously the new FighterZ game but still watching that youtube vid has me second guessing.

You were right in saying it has some Xenoverse elements (rotating camera, flying, etc...) but I got to wonder, was this game really fun to play game-play wise? It doesn't look so in the vid but perhaps it doesn't translate well over a random youtube video.

-A TRUE DRAGON BALL LEGEND? NINJA APPROVED-

#40 Posted by videogameninja (147 posts) -

@gtb08 said:

When I found out that Red Dead Redemption had been shipped and was just held back by the "street date" I was determined to find a store that would break the date. I was 18 at the time, had my first car and first job and decided that I was going to get that damned game, mere days before launch.

I went to every single store that sold so much as a pack of batteries, begging, hunting, scheming for the game. After the better part of 5 hours of driving and skulking around these stores, a man at Sears handed me the game. Fucking Sears. I was so happy, so proud, that my effort had paid off and that I was minutes away from shooting some cowboys. Then he went to ring me up, and the deafaning roar of the scanner error still haunts me to this day. "sorry bud, i guess i can't sell you this one until next week, I had no idea" . I learned that day to never try, and that KFC and Natty Ice can heal some serious wounds.

That has to be one of the most frustrating/biggest teases a gamer can ever go through. I'm surprised you're not in jail for manslaughter after what that person said to you, lol. And yeah, who would have thought SEARS of all places would be the location you would first get your hands on Red Dead (albeit briefly.).

-GAME FIND TEASE NINJA APPROVED-

#44 Edited by Qrowdyy (363 posts) -

I've driven over an hour to get to a best buy that had Yakuza 0 in stock on black friday weekend. Also driven over an hour to a walmart that had the Nintendo Switch in stock. Luckily both those drives ended in success and satisfaction.

#45 Posted by jeffrud (694 posts) -

I flew to Okinawa and had my brother drive me halfway across the island to find a copy of Rhythm Tengoku. Zero regrets.

#46 Posted by OneLoneClone (150 posts) -

I rode my bike 5 miles to the 80's computer store

#47 Posted by videogameninja (147 posts) -

@jeffrud said:

I flew to Okinawa and had my brother drive me halfway across the island to find a copy of Rhythm Tengoku. Zero regrets.

Assuming you were living somewhere in the West at the time and flew to Okinawa with the sole purpose of finding that game then you would win the prize for going the furthest lengths to get a game, lol.

;)

-OLD-SCHOOL IMPORTING NINJA APPROVED-

#48 Posted by Marcsman (3818 posts) -

Back in the mid 90's before Babbages became Gamestop. I dated the store manager to get free games and early releases. She was not in my league.

You know what? I'm still not ashamed about it. This manwhore is proud of his legacy, even big bottomed ones. Ha ha

#49 Posted by NPCDi (577 posts) -

The only time I ever did anything like this was Guitar Hero World Tour. It was nearly impossible to find the full band set at the time but an Argos had one in stock. So I took an hour long bus trip and then walked for an hour and a half to pick it up and then walk back to the bus station. Walking for an hour and a half carrying that thing was hell but me and my friends had a lot of fun with it so it was probably worth it.

#50 Posted by someoneproud (367 posts) -

I skipped school, bought a bus ticket and went traipsing 'round the county all day looking for a copy of Shenmue II for the Dreamcast. Most places looked at me like I was stupid but I did find one in the end in a really small shop. Did all my game/console shopping at the same place for years afterwards (even though it was 20 miles further than my closest) as a sort of thanks. Still went out of business though :(