What's this about Stealing Sunshine?

• 92 results
Boniti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I just noticed that Steal My Sunshine - Part 01 is on the deck as a live show for tomorrow. What is this?? Is the crew doing a live playthrough of Super Mario Sunshine, which I am sure we can all agree is the best 3D Mario platformer ever? Which office, and who's behind the wheel? If this was mentioned somewhere I must have missed it!

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Redhotchilimist

Dan tweeted it out, the east're streaming Super Mario Sunshine.

hammerhead7274

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boniti: Im guessing its a live play through of the series or at least a playdate style stream. Im pretty sure its GBeast as Dan's the one tweeted it out and he's the largest sunshine supporter on the crew.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Time for Dan to either double down, or realize he's been spouting nonsense all these years. Regardless, I can't wait.

(I like Sunshine btw, but this is based off playing it as a kid. No idea if it holds up nowadays from personal experience.)

Luchalma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dan is the only one on the crew who bats for that game, of course it's GBEast!

For the record though, I have a very high opinion of that game though I haven't played it since '03. Interested to see if it matches my memories.

DinosaurCanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By DinosaurCanada

It means the madmen did it, once again

I'm sorry to announce that Giant Bomb East is back on its bullshit. some say they never got off

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By xanadu

I played Mario Sunshine once for about less than an hour and said, "what the fuck?" Never played again. This stream will either vindicate or shame me.

MostlySquares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MostlySquares

Dan is going to play Mario Sunshine while the rest of the crew spends their time dissing that pile of trash in an effort to steal Dan's sunshine.

Alick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oh man if they are doing a playthrough of a game couldnt they do an interesting one? no matter your opinion of sunshine its a mario game, not very interesting material for a series.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

Since I thrive on conflict I hope Jeff chimes in at the end of each stream and just rips the game apart. Just shits all over it.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God, I despise that song. Great game though, might make a good series.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now the song Walking on Sunshine is stuck in my head.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope it's just Jeff burning a copy of mario Sunshine and laughing maniacally for half a hour.

Jibanyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Sunshine. Isle Delfino's a cool setting.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I suppose this is replacing Beast In The East for a little while. Don't really have any personal love for the game, but they could've (probably) picked something way worse to play through. I'll give it a looksie.

mtfikhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EEEEEEEEEEEE

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kingbonesaw: lol

I like Sunshine. It's no Galaxy, that's for sure, but you could still compare a ton of games to Sunshine and have it come out favorably.

Avatar image for halfpastwhenever
halfpastwhenever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never touched Sunshine - so I'm looking forward to seeing it played

Lazyimperial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah, the slow burn... well done, Dan. I'm impressed.

Loading Video...

For the pertinent part, skip to 4:30 and bask in it. :-P

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess Dan just gave up on SMB Lost Levels.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#22  Edited By Castiel

@redhotchilimist said:

@kingbonesaw: lol

I like Sunshine. It's no Galaxy, that's for sure, but you could still compare a ton of games to Sunshine and have it come out favorably.

If a have one terrible thing and compare it with something disgustingly racist then the "just" terrible thing would definitely be better.

Also I'm being facetious. Sunshine might be a fine game. I haven't really played it other than I tried it for a couple of hours back when the game was still relatively new. I don't remember it as anything special though.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#23  Edited By alistercat

I liked Sunshine way more than 64, even if it isn't an 'important' game for innovation or history. Switch version would be nice but I'll settle for watching Dan play it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Can't wait to hear Dan's reaction when he finds out the X (? left to right) axis is inverted

Leadcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always remember Sunshine starting out as a nice, chilled, fun game that becomes infuriating a few hours in.

So this could be interesting.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I really liked Sunshine but I haven't played it since its initial release. I really liked the setting though. It was just a chill nice time.

Corwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope Vinny pops open another bottle during the stream, he's gonna need it.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Loading Video...

Avatar image for gratefuldead207
gratefuldead207

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember Dan and Vinny talking on one of there streams about how Vinny has never played sunshine! So glad this is becoming a real thing!

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hamst3r said:

Loading Video...

I need everyone to know that up here in Canada, we have the MuchMusic Video Awards (the Canadian MTV Video Music Awards, if you will), and the internet tells me the video for Steal My Sunshine won the award for "Best Video", "Best Pop Video", and "Favourite Canadian Video."

That's where we were at as a country in 1999.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Yet another ill conceived video feature idea in a long line of ill conceived video feature booking based on whatever whim comes to Dan's crazy mind. I do not envy whoever had to be in that pitch meeting. I don't know why he's so insistent on showcasing this game if it's just to troll Jeff but I'm at least curious. Never played it myself though I've seen a fair amount of the game play, thought it looked okay back then but I guess I just don't know.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By mrfluke

Wonder if this is gonna replace beast in the east for a while so they can take a break before going straight into kiwami.

Was sort of hoping for the finale they would've gone live today to finish it up, but hey, really curious to see what dan thinks of sunshine

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mezmero said:

Yet another ill conceived video feature idea in a long line of ill conceived video feature booking based on whatever whim comes to Dan's crazy mind. I do not envy whoever had to be in that pitch meeting. I don't know why he's so insistent on showcasing this game if it's just to troll Jeff but I'm at least curious. Never played it myself though I've seen a fair amount of the game play, thought it looked okay back then but I guess I just don't know.

Best case scenario, though, is that this feature dashes Dan's nostalgia for Sunshine as Vinny/Alex/Abby point out some of the flaws and lame stuff in the game. His nostalgia levels seem really high for this game, when in retrospect most critics and gamers rate Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Galaxy much more highly than Sunshine. That being said, as much as Jeff bashes on Sunshine, it's not actually a bad game, just not as good as 64 or Galaxy.

I agree that this video feature seems kinda needless, unless there's some weird twist to it we don't know about yet.

ltcolumbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd be surprised if this is Dan playing, or a replacement for Beast in the East, even temporarily. It sounds more like a Blue Bombin'/VinnyVania substitute with someone else at the helm.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#35  Edited By ShaggE

I'm disappointed that the date on the "Coming soon" list isn't "L-A-T-E-R this week".

Also, holy hell, I've got a lot of catching up to do when I reup my sub. So many wonderful things I've missed.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I'm actually interested in watching some of this, as someone who hasn't played Super Mario Sunshine in more than a decade. Do I really want to see Dan fumble his way through the entire game on a weekly basis while being reminded of its many flaws? No. Not really. I'd much rather see Alex get back on that Mega Man horse, or Vinny play another weird-ass FMV adventure game.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero: I remember hating that video and song so much back in the 90s, but nowadays I can play it and get a really nice fuzzy nostalgic feeling. Must be senility setting in.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero said:

@hamst3r said:

Loading Video...

I need everyone to know that up here in Canada, we have the MuchMusic Video Awards (the Canadian MTV Video Music Awards, if you will), and the internet tells me the video for Steal My Sunshine won the award for "Best Video", "Best Pop Video", and "Favourite Canadian Video."

That's where we were at as a country in 1999.

Hamster Dance charted up here.

We have a pretty bad track record in terms of popular music, at least throughout the 90s - early 2000s

Also it was pretty good when this song showed up in Mr. Robot.

DodoBasse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@whitegreyblack: Now, I don't know you, and this is the first time I've ever seen the video, and possibly heard the song.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you used to be way cooler D:

moregrammarplz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Super Mario Sunshine is boring. It was the first Mario game I ever played where the levels felt like generic real-world locations instead of fantastic realms.

What were all the worlds again? Hills and windmills, some docks, a beach, a carnival, a hotel? The only world I remember that captured my imagination was the level with all the tall coral structures and multi-colored water.

I just felt no drive to explore or get excited about the next world because it was just going to be another generic beach environment.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dodobasse: Time is a cruel mistress.

Part of the problem is that I usually travel to Europe with my wife once per year, and I have a habit of having at least one evening where I play 90's bullshit music on my phone for us to giggle to while walking around having a few drinks. It's made some of these dumb 90s songs have better feelings for us than they have any right to.

DodoBasse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@whitegreyblack: Ah, you went full circle on the irony-listening. Well, on the plus side there's one thing less in the world that makes you want to punch things. Maybe brain-washing isn't so bad.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

People who are bad at video games will definitely dislike Sunshine. It has a challenge to it.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

Sunshine is the best Summer Game and I love how all its worlds are on a single theme but each come at it with a slightly different take. Plus, it's got a ton of great tech and is an amazing speed game. Really enjoyed what I saw of the first episode (watched the first hour), love how they're turned Sunshine into Mario Party with their dumb rules. It's a good and reasonable original feature! I think they will come out of this liking Sunshine!

burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the rules, I like the betting and gambling aspect, and I especially love seeing Abby, Vinny, and especially Alex struggle through the game and at the same time try to convince Dan how bad it is.

I don't really care either way on Sunshine since I never played it more than 15 minutes. It looks worse, gameplay-wise than Galaxy, but it also looks very much like a Mario game and it appears solidly built around the gameplay elements. Still weird that the camera controls are inverted by design.

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What happened to Bring your B-game?

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I hope they drop the gumball thing and just take turns playing the game. GB content was good enough without extra obtuse gimmicks.

ryleknuckles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hope I get this tonight. Need a pick me up from a shitty Friday.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

Yeah - no archive as yet?

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By handlas

@omgfather said:

What happened to Bring your B-game?

I was just thinking about that the other night. I kinda wish they would stick to shows they introduce. They start a new series and kill it off too quickly or, at least, just take super long breaks between episodes. Old Games Show (though Jeff plays on his Youtube channel on occasion), Ranking of Fighters, Load Your Last Save, etc. Bring Your B-Game was one of my favs.