Whats up with the Games Press acting like its news that Actraiser is a good game?

silentq15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By silentq15

In seeing the coverage of the SNES classic in almost every article from nearly every source I am seeing Actraiser on lists with the descriptions talking about it like its some hidden gem. Was this not known or something? I am just finding it a really weird trend among the games writer. I am pretty sure its been known forever that Actraiser is a good game so I am a little befuddled by the begging for this game on the SNES classic by the writers.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems like it was bigger in Europe than it was in the US maybe?

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actraiser is great but I certainly wouldn't consider it some touchstone for the SNES.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is a good game but it is not like a huge hit or part of a big series.

Most SNES Classic games would be either parts of big series that are still alive today (Mario, Zelda, Final Fantasy, Castlevania) or huge games that are super well remembered (ChronoTrigger, Earthbound.) Actraiser is neither. It is just a really good SNES game, and would fall more into the Demon's Crest, Sunset Riders tier where there are lots of fans and it would make sense to include it, but it is not stone cold necessary the way, say A Link to the Past is.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

I also would not consider that a "hidden gem" at all.

SquirrelGOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Everybody who knows anything knows that Actraiser was the shit. The only "hidden gem" related to Actraiser is motherfuggin' Terranigma. Now THAT is something I can understand slipping under people's radar. That and Seiken Densetsu 3 are the two greatest SNES games to never end up in North America.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i knew actraiser was cool before it was cool.

Dray2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@silentq15: Its probably because due to sales statistics that people colclude that Actraiser 1 is a hidden gem of sorts. Compared to many other very popular mainstream video games the SNES has, Actraiser probably did not sell enough to be AS compareable with lets say Zelda, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana series (the ones availble for the SNES that is) or even games like Terranigma.

Or maybe the media just went with media coverage as a metric. Games not many speak about officially are usually seen as hidden gems of sorts.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think most people are just looking for an excuse to talk about actraiser.

game is dope.

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I don't know, I never heard of the game as a kid, but it's a prime example of "this series isn't around anymore but was actually really good." I doubt it was some huge hit sales wise.

BoccKob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sometimes the video game press like to use loaded phrasing or belabor certain obvious points to give the impression their job requires any qualifications whatsoever instead of being shills for the marketing department. Y'know, just like the regular press.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dray2k said:

Or maybe the media just went with media coverage as a metric. Games not many speak about officially are usually seen as hidden gems of sorts.

That is my thought on it. It's a good game, it's not a surprise it's known as a good game, but it's not generally brought up a lot.
Many SNES games are just due to their staying power. Of course you talk about Zelda, Mario, Castlevania etc, etc, etc.

Actraiser only had 2 games, both on the SNES, and the second isn't looked at fondly. So it's just not brought up in conversation a lot. And I guess some people take that as it wasn't looked at as good.

Feels comparable to Dark Cloud on the PS2, people don't talk about it much, but then they do, it's with a lot of love.

i knew actraiser was cool before it was cool.

I knew Actraiser was cool before it was cool but now that I know everyone else thinks its cool I hate it.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By OurSin_360

I have never heard of it before but then again there were many snes games i missed out on when i was a kid.

MikeLemmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 2

I am still disappointed Actraiser 2 removed the townbuilding aspect.