What's with all the dust/dirt filters in games these days?

haneybd87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I see it all the time now. It's supposed to make the screen look dirty and gritty but I don't really understand the purpose. Are they trying to make the games look more theatrical? If that's the case then it really doesn't make sense to me considering keeping the lens clean is a very important part of cinematography.

Does anyone actually like these effects or is it just something forced onto the games by overzealous art directors? To me it just muddies up the image and takes me out of the game.

tacobelmont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm with you, same thing last gen with those film grain filters. It made Mass Effect look like garbage.

nateandrews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 12

It's one of my least favorite visual effects, especially in third person games. I think The Witcher 3 had some pretty nasty lens grime if I remember correctly. That just doesn't make any sense to me.

haneybd87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nateandrews: The most recent and particularly egregious offender has to be Gears 5. On XB1X it’s running at 4k60 with all these new graphical bells and whistles then they cover it all up with a layer of grime. It’s so dumb.

clapmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate film grain. Always turned it off in Mass Effect.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Is this the new version of the "turn down the brightness until you can barely see the symbol" thing? I hate that. It's just a way to hide what the game actually looks like.

haneybd87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By haneybd87

@bladeofcreation: Those don’t make much sense to me either. I had my TV professionally calibrated and the “darkest” symbols are very much not 1 step above true black. I don’t know why you’d want to crush the blacks and barely be able to see anything.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not sure why this in particular is becoming widespread, but I know Unreal Engine has a post-processing object that includes this (they call it a dirt mask). They also have film grain that you can implement in seconds, so I assume as far as the original Mass Effect goes it was ease of implementation and a way to mask some of the uglier art (and then became "tradition" in later entries).

It's probably just easy to implement for a quick "wow"-factor. Sort of like how every game has depth-of-field now, even though it's not used the way a photographer/film-maker would, and it doesn't match reality, but boy does it work for screenshots.

nateandrews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By nateandrews

@bladeofcreation: Gears 5 has a pretty cool version of that where it has screenshots from the game and explains what each scene should look like with the correct brightness setting. It was way more helpful than just a dark symbol.

@haneybd87: Ohh yeah, I’ve noticed it there too. So dumb!

haneybd87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nateandrews: I can see that when using HDR considering the breadth of HDR brightness on various TV models but when not in HDR I don't understand why they don't just calibrate the image for true black and leave it at that.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#11 fisk0  Moderator

Huh, I haven't really seen it that much recently, but it certainly was a thing around 2011 with Battlefield 3, Ace Combat: Assault Horizon and I think Crysis 2? Battlefield 3 in particular used it to a ridiculous degree where it could sometimes be hard to tell what was behind all that lens dirt:

No Caption Provided

Rahf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I suppose the idea is immersion, which either works or fails depending on how obstructive the mask is and what the player thinks about it.

haneybd87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rahf: Because we all know how much dirt we get covering our eyeballs and obstructing our vision in real life.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

haneybd87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cikame: Ok I guess goggles are the one exception to this. I’d still rather not have the filter in my game I’m playing for fun though.