What's your all time favorite FPS campaign?

• 135 results
sfw44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Halo CE, I probably played through the whole thing at least 20 times.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#102  Edited By LackingSaint

Probably a toss-up between System Shock 2, BioShock 2 and Portal 2. All of them are paced fantastically and really keep you invested on the story end.

There was probably a time I would've said Half-Life 2 but man, I dunno if the writing and gameplay hold up so great. It's still a super fun roller coaster ride but the weird obsession with hyping up how amazing and special Gordon Freeman is alongside the out-of-place physics puzzles and the whole bit with the ant pheromones, I dunno.

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bioshock, easily.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

Avatar image for octopusrocketmark
Octopusrocketmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nostalgically speaking, Halo 2. I played the ever loving SHIT out of that campaign when I first got my Xbox in 2004. And I still think it has the best gameplay feel of all the Halo campaigns. The gun feel of that battle rifle, carbine, and dual SMGs is unmatched. But in terms of the "best" campaigns I've ever played? Gotta be Half-life 2, Halo 3, DOOM 2016.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#106  Edited By Cameron

1. Bioshock Infinite

2. Bioshock

3. The Darkness

Honorable Mentions: The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay and Portal 1/2 (I think these are not purely shooters as much as the games I put in the top slots.)

I like narrative in my games, which is why I wouldn't put Doom or Titanfall 2 on this list. I think both of those are a good series of levels, but they don't have the cohesive world or storytelling of the games I listed. That's also why I don't include classics like Doom (the original) or Duke Nukem 3D.

FrankJovine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess I'll be the first one to suggest Rainbow Six Siege, super fun once you get into it, although it takes a bit to learn the basics. (I would recommend playing with friends.) I always liked COD because I'm pretty alright at FPS games and I just like to run around and shoot.

tatsuyarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#108  Edited By tatsuyarr

Halo 3 followed by Halo Reach.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Modern Warfare 3.

Sergiy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since all of mine have been mentioned i'd like to throw in Call of Juarez: Gunslinger into the mix!

First game where I actually went back and got the best ranking on all missions just because I was loving every second of it!

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cikame said:

It has a campaign?

Guessing they just hastily typed "favorite fps" into google and answered this thread while ignoring the campaign word. Maybe. One day I want to read up on some kind of study, that focuses on people who reply to threads that might be 10 years old and then never come back to those threads again.

Anyway. I was going to write an answer, but seems like I already answered Half-Life 2 back in 2017. I'm still standing by that one.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Halo CE was transformative, and a real eye opener for me, so that.

Greats that deserve to be mentioned: Halo:Reach, MW2, CoD4, and Rainbow Six Vegas 1&2 all come to mind.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Halo: Combat Evolved. It's such a special campaign, Silent Cartographer is one of the best levels in a videogame.

Halo 2, 3 and ODST are also great, but the first one is still the best by far. Half-Life 1, Half-Life 2, Titanfall 2, Doom are all also fantastic. Titanfall 2 in particular felt to me like it captured some of the magic of the Half-Life 2 and the Halo campaigns.

I feel like shooter campaign implies a specific style of progression through the game, but if we expand it to just be singleplayer first person shooters, I'd add Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl. It feels weird calling that a campaign, though.

BonelessSpirit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bonelessspirit: You reminded me of Arma 3, the campaign episodes they added were pretty cool for what they were, the Fight Club-esk twist in Episode 2 really impressed me.

jacksmedulla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#117 jacksmedulla  Online

Either Halo CE or Doom 2016. Both are games that I can go back to at any time and get completely wrapped up in em. Halo CE in particular just has a great sense of wonder and brilliant pacing that persist to this day.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Old thread that was probably bumped by a bot. But I'm bored, so I'll post anyway:

Deus Ex: Human Revolution as my all inclusive pick for a first-person shooter due to it's RPG elements.
And DOOM (2016) as a more traditional point A to point B/linear progression pick.

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 14

Titan fall 2

Avatar image for sarcasticmudcrab
SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Going on 'at the time' it's probably CoD4, I think it's the only game that I ever caught myself mouth open and dribbling slightly while I played it.

BioShock is close.

Portal isn't an FPS.

I also really, really liked Singularity.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Halo CE still to this day.

SuperJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

1. BioShock Infinite - It's like a bizarre FPS made by Disney.
  2. Brothers In Arms: Road to Hill 30 - I enjoyed the tactical aspect emphasizing flanking & suppression by commanding multiple squads or tanks. Also helps that this came out shortly after Band of Brothers and was unlike MoH or CoD at the time.
  3. Battlefield 3 - It's very derivative, as if Dice made a checklist based on CoD4's campaign and watched a bunch of 24, but I love the set pieces, presentation, and synth soundtrack to this day.

I really need to play Halo Reach, but the PC release date has been Coming Soon for awhile...

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#123  Edited By Nick

Half-Life 2

honourable mentions: Halo 3, new Wolfenstein series, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warefare, Bioshock/Bioshock Infinite

DoubleCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By DoubleCakes

It might be Doom 2 or it might be Perfect Dark. I love Doom 2 level by level but Perfect Dark goes so many weird places.

tp0p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Halo 3 odst. I really like how the open world evening sections are interwoven with the straight forward missions. It makes the game have a real sense of place. And the soundtrack is great. I think I have played the campaign at least twice each year.

chaz934

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Half-Life, Halo: CE, DOOM (OG and 2016), Titanfall 2

Arjailer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played through Bioshock 1, 2 and Infinite a few months ago, and Halo 1, 2 and 3 just recently (finished 3 last night).

Loved them all, but Halo 3 was the standout for me. Great levels (apart from Cortana) with none of the repetition that Halo 1 and 2 had.

But me favourite FPS campaign is probably Half-life 2 - sooo many classic moments :-D

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 37

PenguinDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#129  Edited By PenguinDust

I know a lot of people said Halo 3, but I prefer Halo Reach. I connected more because I was my own Spartan rather than the 'Chief. There are a lot of really great gameplay sequences in that one, too. After Reach, I would say the original Half-Life. I liked it more because everything felt so innovative when I played it for the first time back then. Third is probably System Shock 2. There were some RP elements in it so sometimes I forget it was an FPS.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 32

Halo 3, I think, but I'll show some love to Resistance 2 and 3 (those boss fights were incredible), Singularity, Timesplitters 2 (just goofy fun), the 360 era reboot of Wolfenstein, Bulletstorm, 2006-era Prey, Far Cry 5, and the recent Shadow Warrior 2, which I really loved despite completely getting why people didn't.

norm9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely COD4 Modern Warfare. It was like playing Saving Private Ryan or being in a war themed roller coaster ride.

ThisIsACoolTag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@norm9 said:

Definitely COD4 Modern Warfare. It was like playing Saving Private Ryan or being in a war themed roller coaster ride.

Wouldn't one of the WWII games have done a better job?

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had this whole thing written between Halo: CE and Modern Warfare 4, but you wanna know what? Fuck it. I'm going with an upset pick and a game I guarantee no one else here will have chosen: Pathways Into Darkness

It's an old Bungie jaunt with some adventure game elements a time limit. The gist is you've got to go into this old Mayan temple and plant a nuclear bomb to stop some Cthulian horror from waking up and destroying the world. Except your helicopter crashes and your team gets scattered with various parts of the bomb. You've got to go in, find the bits of the bomb, find the bottom of the temple and set the bomb with enough time for you to get out.

It's a weird but cool game - you've got an inventory, ammo is limited, and you pick up a crystal that lets you speak to dead people by putting queries into a text box like an old-school adventure game. There are multiple endings based on whether you successfully planted the bomb and left yourself enough time to call in a helicopter to evacuate.

The art was pretty cool too. If you've played Void Bastards, it's kind of an older version of that.

No Caption Provided

norm9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thisisacooltag: it was the first war movie I could think of. I did really enjoy the WW2 COD that had Keifer Sutherland in it, minus the grenade spam portions.

MeMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

No One Lives Forever!! Best Game