What's your Dark Side of the Rainbow of video games?

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

I usually like to take in all the parts of a game but I remember playing Wipeout HD using custom soundtrack from the go and still to this day, have no clue what that game's music sounds like. I listen to a Japanese pop/techno group called globe and it just fit perfectly to me to the point that, as far as I'm concern, that's the music to that game.

Do you know any good game/music combinations that's just awesome to experience?

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm going to catch a ton of hell for this, but I listened to Death Cab For Cutie's Kintsugi instead of the soundtrack for Bloodborne.

I loved it and it fit my inworld idea that my hunter had an iPod.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Halo multiplayer and At the Drive-in's "Relationship of Command" was a popular combo during my high school years. The Soulsborne games go super well with any of the Ghost albums. I also associate Roller Coaster Tycoon with "The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me" by Brand New because when I randomly got super into RCT was also the same time that the album came out I was listening to it constantly. Those two things don't go together at all, by the way. Like, not at all.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I've been listening to the DOOM OST while playing Mortal Kombat X with friends recently.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Brackstone

Bloodborne and The Angry River by The Hat. I never listened to it while actively playing the game, but I was listening to it a lot in the same period I was playing the game. Boy do those two go well together.

I'm not into a large portion of the music in Let it Die (there's some good stuff, but a lot of it isn't for me). So instead, I've been listening to the Anarchy Reigns soundtrack, and again, boy do those two go well together.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By xanadu

Horde mode with lamb of god blasting \m/

Edit: OH also just remembered this one: I played through most of Limbo while the album The Five Ghosts by Stars played in the background. It went together extremely well.

Loading Video...

Cloudleet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I can't to this day think of Mario Kart with my friends without also getting Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger by Daft Punk stuck in my head.

We loved Mario Kart, we loved Daft Punk and we loved that song. I think the record was playing it on repeat for 10 hours straight as we played Battlemode and vs an entire evening/night

TheHanna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By TheHanna

I listened to Kyuss' entire discography while playing the original Borderlands. There's something about desert stoner rock/metal that pairs really, really well with Borderlands.

I also listened to Sepultura's Chaos A.D. while playing Crackdown 2. It paired better than you'd think.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I'm going to catch a ton of hell for this, but I listened to Death Cab For Cutie's Kintsugi instead of the soundtrack for Bloodborne.

... what soundtrack for Bloodborne?

You don't play those games for the soundtrack. Why would anyone get upset over that?

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: The really good one that they put in the game.

cornfed40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By cornfed40

The Giant Bomb/Beastcast along with Stardew Valley

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tried really hard to think of one, but I don't have one. In 35+ years of playing video games, I always listen to the in-game music. Some of my favorite games are my favorite games because of the sound track.

No, wait. I used to MUD and MOO. In the early-mid 90s I was mostly listening to Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Lemonheads, They Might be Giants, REM and Weird Al.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By LackingSaint

Every video-game is improved with Best Of 80s Pop Megamix.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By TobbRobb

I will almost alwayts want to have the ingame music on. But if for some reason the music is straight grating for me or if the music doesn't matter (diablo grinding or whatever) I'll just listen to something random that caught my eye at the moment. Amusingly it's been mostly other videogame music like the Bastion or Journey OSTs. Okami and Nier are staples too.

@skullpanda1 I think the Bloodborne sountrack is goddamn fantastic. Especially in the DLC. But you are forgiven friend~

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Peggle sounds like the Bombcast, I guess. Outside of that, I always play games with the in-game music on.

TheCycloneWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

World of Warcraft will always be scored by Devin Townsend Project for me. Specifically Addicted for the Wrath of the Lich King and Sky Blue for Warlords of Draenor. I don't know if I ever had the default soundtrack turned on in the years I played it.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

I used to do this a lot back on the original Xbox. I have some games like NFL Street Vol 2 that make me think of The Smiths when I was getting really into them which is a funny association. When I saw that game on a Demo Derby a while ago it made me think of The Smiths right away.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#19 fisk0  Moderator

@zevvion said:
@skullpanda1 said:

... what soundtrack for Bloodborne?

You don't play those games for the soundtrack. Why would anyone get upset over that?

Those games generally have pretty highly regarded soundtracks, though personally I found Dark Souls 1 and 2's music pretty disappointing after how absolutely amazing the Demon's Souls soundtrack was. I also personally found it kinda integral to the entire experience of playing those games. I'd probably rank DeS among the top 5 soundtracks of the last generation.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@fisk0: @jesus_phish: Really? I couldn't tell you a single track from any Souls game to be honest and I played all of them to death. Of course I'd probably recognize them when I hear them, but I don't think they are memorable apparently. Also, the majority of those games don't have any music in them anyway, so if you're going to listen to a custom soundtrack, Souls games are the ones where it makes sense.

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yakuza boss themes and FF14 raids.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Borderlands and Steve Reich's Music for 18 Musicians

catoasapun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I played Rebel Galaxy I replaced the whole OST with a bunch of pseudo-80s stuff i downloaded from soundcloud. say what you will about Rebel Galaxy as a game but it is really fucking cool that they let you not just change the music but also the context in which that music plays.

theanticitizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Metal Gear Solid 3 and Radiohead's Amnesiac. Whenever I listen to that album I have these really vivid memories of playing MGS3 and it adds to the weird, dark vibe that game has. It's an oddly great combo

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth with The Binding of Isaac's soundtrack.

gypz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

one of the hardest times a video game has made me laugh was when i was about to play star fox 64, i started a new game and went to the bathroom. my roomate started blaring The Natural Anthem by Postal Service and the way the announcer explaining the backstory synced to the music was spot on but also very fucking cheesy, i lost it...... that's.... what this thread is about right? noticeable but unintentional syncing between game and music not just "what music do you listen to when you play a certain game"? am i nitpicking? oh god i'm nitpicking

archnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teddie: Favorite answer so far.

I would exclusively play Resident Evil 4's Mercenary Mode while listening to Dragula on loop. For hours.

I no longer play RE4 or listen to Dragula. But they are melded in my mind.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This is so stupid but when I was playing the first Silent Hill I was very freaked out by the game (still am actually) and couldn't really play with the game sound on (radio static and sirens and all that) so I just turned on my actual radio and the only song that sticks out in my memory is It's My Life by Bon Jovi. I cannot hear that song without thinking about that creepy elementary school from Silent Hill.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Oddly I never did this in gaming the closest thing would be listening to is a rock radio station that was on some Counter strike source server. I also did this in new retro arcade neon VR playing some old arcade games in VR listening to 90's music ohh that nostalgia.

Paliv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By Paliv

Rallisport Challenge 1&2 and the Foo Fighter's There is Nothing Left to Lose