• 68 results
#1 Edited by liquiddragon (3162 posts) -

Hey, just started playing Celeste and it seems like a shoo-in for best music this year.

Which soundtracks have stood out to you, what's your favorite in 2018?

#2 Posted by Bane (862 posts) -
#3 Posted by SkullPanda1 (1623 posts) -

I'm going to go out on a limb, as I've not seen/heard all of it yet, but I'm going to say Tetris Effect.

#5 Posted by SethMode (1750 posts) -

So far, right this second, I'm really loving the music to Obra Dinn. Not sure if I'd listen to it by itself but with the game it is something special.

#6 Posted by KingBonesaw (1296 posts) -

If I could pick a winner and 2 nominees like GB does I'd do the following:

Winner - Celeste
Nominees - The Messenger and Octopath Traveler... Tropical Freeze also came out again this year though

Worst Music goes to Dragon Quest XI. The game is too good to have suck a shitty quality soundtrack and the songs themselves aren't even that great.

#7 Edited by SethMode (1750 posts) -

@kingbonesaw said:

Worst Music goes to Dragon Quest XI. The game is too good to have suck a shitty quality soundtrack and the songs themselves aren't even that great.

I had a to take a break from that game because of the almost brown-note level of abrasive horn action that is prevalent in that games soundtrack.

#8 Posted by kmj2318 (21 posts) -

Standouts for me are Octopath Traveler and Red Dead Redemption 2

#9 Posted by glots (4134 posts) -

I can't think of anything that would've really stood-out and be a candidate for something that I'd still listen to years later, but both God of War and Spider-Man had some really great music that fit them perfectly.

...well actually, RDR 2 does have an incredible soundtrack and I'm really stoked to see (or hear, I suppose) if this game has it's equivalent for 'Far Away' from the previous game.

#10 Posted by Nodima (2507 posts) -

Red Dead Redemption has a great soundtrack but it is the very definition of a soundtrack/score, I'm not sure how well it would play away from the gameplay. You can feel the Daniel Lanois influence all over that thing, though, which is real cool as a nerd for 80s ambient musicians.

Spider-Man had some amazing music but it needed a lot more of it; the swinging theme is perfectly cinematic, theatrical, anthemic, heroic, whathaveyou but couldn't there have been more takes on that theme? You spend twelve to twenty hours in that game and hear that music for, what, eight to ten of those hours?

God of War had the opposite problem, lots of really awesome musical moments but aside from the deep, thrumming chanting no themes or sounds that immediately comes to mind.

And that's all I've played that's new this year, so I'm no authority. I suppose I'd snag Red Dead with a gun to my head.

#11 Posted by fisk0 (6806 posts) -

Overload and Das Geisterschiff stand out to me so far, along with that XCOM 2 legacy soundtrack (though not quite sure that counts, since there's little new music in there, mostly just reimaginings of the original X-COM music).

Overload absolutely nails the atmosphere of the original Descent soundtrack and Das Geisterschiff has a wonderfully wobbly and detuned late 80s/early 90s Skinny Puppy/Doubting Thomas thing (with hints of Squarepusher's Tundra perhaps) going on that I absolutely adore.

Loading Video...

Loading Video...

#12 Edited by panda_slipper (1 posts) -
#13 Posted by Superharman (251 posts) -

Celeste is a killer soundtrack and that is the only one I can think of really liking when running down the games I've played this year.

I played through all of Octopath and was staring down the soudtrack on a recent trip to Japan but other than the menu music, coun't really remember key tracks so the music didn't really hit me.

#14 Edited by FrostyRyan (2842 posts) -

I agree about Celeste.

Other than that, this year doesn't exactly stand up to last year's persaon 5 or Nier Automata. God of War's music is really good though!

#16 Posted by cikame (2576 posts) -

Kind of a shallow year when it comes to soundtracks, so really for me it comes down to Donut County for the chillaxed quirk, and Lethal League Blaze for exercising my neck muscles.

Loading Video...
#18 Posted by markini6 (552 posts) -

Red Dead is a standout for me. I'm a big Morricone fan and I love how in the sequel they've really embraced some of the musical traditions typically found in the Western genre

#19 Posted by Sahalarious (673 posts) -

Celeste and Red Dead are tied for me. Early for red dead I know but im at 45 hours already

#20 Posted by ghost_cat (2222 posts) -

Donut County, RDR2, and Tetris Effect.

#21 Posted by MocBucket62 (2439 posts) -

Hey, just started playing Celeste and it seems like a shoo-in for best music this year.

Which soundtracks have stood out to you, what's your favorite in 2018?

Totally agree with Celeste's soundtrack. Its one of the standouts in 2018 for sure. Other than that I'd say Octopath Traveler, Yoku's Island Express and Wandersong had some standout OST's too. Donut County deserves some love too.

#22 Posted by StriderNo9 (1338 posts) -

Soundtrack in Spider-Man is pretty amazing.

#23 Edited by csl316 (14863 posts) -

Celeste is a solid choice. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon also had some of the catchiest Castlevania tunes since Dracula's Curse and Bloodlines.

But since I played Steamworld Dig 2 for the first time this year, my personal choice is that.

#24 Posted by BoOzak (2458 posts) -

I enjoyed the doctor disco stuff in FOTNS but I dont think there are any original songs in there. (there may be original remixes though)

Loading Video...

Nothing else really comes to mind. I liked the music in The Messenger and Celeste but chip tune music kind of blends together for me after awhile.

#25 Posted by liquiddragon (3162 posts) -

@boozak: there are chip tune variants on the b-side in Celeste but I don’t think most of the main music is.

#26 Posted by DPEP56 (47 posts) -

I'm always a sucker for nordic sounding music, so it's God of War for me.

#27 Posted by Capum15 (6003 posts) -

I loved Octopath Traveler's music enough to buy the imported soundtrack, so I'd go with that.

Though BattleTech's stuff is pretty good as well, and a solid second for me. Forza Horizon 4 might be third, though I can't really recall any other soundtracks I took note of.

But yeah that Octopath soundtrack is great.

#28 Posted by glots (4134 posts) -

One week later, I think I gotta hand it to RDR 2, at least when considering games that have come out by now. Some of the story missions have had fantastic, shiver inducing music playing in them. Plus even outside of that, there’s been some amazing (Vaudeville) music moments.

Tetris Effect also had some sweet tunes in the demo alone.

#29 Posted by Jamie5590 (11 posts) -
#30 Posted by Vasta_Narada (747 posts) -

Does The World Ends With You: Final Remix's soundtrack count?

#31 Edited by Yesiamaduck (2477 posts) -

The Celeste soundtrack is in the top 50 on Rateyourmusic.com for this year. Ita amazing, especially paired with the gameplay

#32 Posted by geirr (3701 posts) -

Lena Raine's Celeste soundtrack for sure. Not only is the music stellar, the game and the story it unravels are probably my picks of the year as well.

#33 Posted by redwing42 (477 posts) -

It is fairly minimal, but I really like the soundtrack for Into the Breach.

#34 Edited by Fezrock (669 posts) -

Its a bit of a cheat answer, but I'm going to say Thronebreaker, the standalone single-player Gwent game CDPR put out a few weeks ago.

The reason its a bit of a cheat is because, although it is an original soundtrack, it is heavily, heavily inspired by The Witcher 3 soundtrack, which was amazing and therefore gives Thronebreaker a huge leg-up to start from. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the tracks were cuts recovered from TW3.

#36 Posted by briarpack (275 posts) -

@fezrock said:

Its a bit of a cheat answer, but I'm going to say Thronebreaker, the standalone single-player Gwent game CDPR put out a few weeks ago.

The reason its a bit of a cheat is because, although it is an original soundtrack, it is heavily, heavily inspired by The Witcher 3 soundtrack, which was amazing and therefore gives Thronebreaker a huge leg-up to start from. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the tracks were cuts recovered from TW3.

I'll second Thronebreaker, the soundtrack is fantastifc.

#37 Posted by cloudymusic (2091 posts) -

Seconding Assassin's Creed Odyssey. I was pretty surprised at how good a lot of the music in that game is.

#38 Posted by gerrid (642 posts) -

The Messenger for me is a standout. Without that soundtrack I wouldn't have completed the game I think, it really just kept me playing.

Octopath had good battle music but then they change it for something worse which I was disappointed by. The rest of the music is good but not enough for me to ever buy.

Does Xenoblade 2 count? Since the Torna release came out this year maybe it does. Great JRPG music, very catchy.

From the demo, I think Tetris Effect will be up there.

I also really like the music in RDR2, although it frustrates me that it is so scarce. In a way that makes it more special when it does kick in, though.

As ever, though, my winner is FFXIV Stormblood. The music from the raids for this year's patches, including the Return to Ivalice stuff, is just amazing. Plus some of the primal themes. They even added in the chiptune version of Rise that they used as an April Fools joke.

#39 Posted by APDLS (81 posts) -

For me the winner is definitely Celeste, which this topic has inspired me to re-listen to. It is the perfect blend of atmospheric, catchy, and even haunting. It does some really good stuff with variable mixing, and I definitely like how it avoided the easy lure of standard chiptune music for that kind of game.

Runners-up are Octopath Traveler and Red Dead Redemption 2. Also an honourable mention to Torna - the Golden Country, which was an expansion but had a lot of Xenoblade 2's already great music with some new stuff that really works.

#40 Edited by NTM (11468 posts) -

Out of the games, I played, honestly, Far Cry 5. Say what you will about the game itself, but the soundtrack is really good. It helped the atmosphere quite a bit.

#41 Posted by blakey1985 (43 posts) -

destiny 2 forsaken has a brilliant soundtrack not sure how much of its reused from the original game

#42 Posted by ayopch (56 posts) -

Celeste is by far my favorite, but I've really loved the music in Red Dead too. Maybe not music I'd listen to on its own, but within the context of the game, it's great. Celeste's is music I could listen to all day.

#43 Edited by mrroach (236 posts) -

Forza Horizon 4's music is largely not stuff I'd listen to outside of the game, but works really well within it to create a really positive and fun vibe.

#44 Posted by sleepydino (2 posts) -

Into the Breach (really anything Ben Prunty), Far Cry 5, Red Dead 2 are my favorites

#45 Posted by Superharman (251 posts) -

Did Celeste get a lot of love from the GB crew? I don't recall.

#46 Posted by Zombette (16 posts) -

Can Nier Automata count with the Xbox one port? Whenever I think of best soundtrack I always think of Nier.

#47 Posted by TheHT (15751 posts) -

I gotta say, every time I load up Destiny 2, this Forsaken theme sounds so fuckin good it makes me wanna just say to hell with it and buy Forsaken against all better judgment.

#48 Posted by Rejizzle (1026 posts) -

The Quiet Man has the best music of any game this year. Too bad you can't hear most of it...

#49 Edited by liquiddragon (3162 posts) -

Got to the credits in Celeste today and I liked the soundtrack even more than when I made this thread. Ppl should play that game!

#50 Edited by liquiddragon (3162 posts) -

@superharman: I know Dan liked it when he was playing it for coverage but not sure if he beat it. I think it passed by most of the crew. Maybe it came too early in the year and than Into the Breach kinda dominated the indie sphere.

@zombette: No, it won last year and crushed Persona 5 OST in the process.