When are games going to evolve?

• 122 results
FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

...I mean, Star Citizen will come out eventually, right? That seems like one of those "everything under the sun" games that the OP seems to want.

Don't @ me.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By Onemanarmyy

@facelessvixen:

At the same time Star Citizen does sound like it would be familiar to a number of other games in a way that might not appeal to someone looking for totally fresh new ideas. If i read their kickstarter correct, The sheer scale of the game and the proper Newtonian mechanics are the things that they want to innovate on. Everything else sounds iterative or done before. Other games use 10K polygons for characters? We use 100k! Other games only let you see the action from the cockpit? We'll let you watch it through the windows too! We'll have a Wing Commander-style singleplayer component! You get to choose whether you want to engage in trading, combat or bounty hunting!

Don't get me wrong, putting that all in 1 game (or 2 games, now that Squadron 42 is stand-alone) is very ambitious, especially for a project that started out as a crowd-funded thing. But it does sound like a lot of that ambition lies in providing an AAA-production to gameplay elements that we know from other titles.

I will now apologize for @ you :)

gornogorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By gornogorno

@fourthline: what score would you give TLOU2 if they patched in a reference to Covid-19 right now?

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the craziest roller coaster i've ever seen.
Anyway, from the bits and pieces i read it kind of seems like you want every minute aspect of every game ever made to change in some way, developers could change things for the sake of it, but you must realise that what has become standard mechanics in most games is due to innovation over decades, to change expected mechanics runs the risk of your game feeling behind the times, like many Japanese PS2-360 games which ignored how the west were doing things and felt a little old fashioned, if you can successfully invent new basic mechanics in a way people love that's awesome, but i'm not sure how you'd go about that, i can only think of MGS5's dive to prone button as being something new that i absolutely loved.
I only read a little of your expectations of story and content in games and it's a little silly, i'm sure there will be stories in the future that reference our current issues, until then let the storytellers tell the stories they want to.

It's rude to assume, but i've seen posts referencing your writing "style" in a more rude manner so i feel a little less rude for pointing it out, it comes across as if you feel way too strongly about this, or if maybe English isn't your first language but you're very good and extremely excited about using it, or maybe you're young and hyperactive? Maybe it's drugs/energy drinks?
I'm only making those assumptions so you have an idea of how it's coming across.

nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Been following this thread since it started, and man I gotta say: This is the most nonsensical argument about video games I have ever seen in my life.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't call a sequel to a video game already set in a pandemic a 'hot take'. The pandemic is a setting, not a statement.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@nophilip said:

Been following this thread since it started, and man I gotta say: This is the most nonsensical argument about video games I have ever seen in my life.

Ditto. As the kids say these days, big oof.

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is so fucking funny thank you for making my afternoon

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a lot.

stise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By stise

How the hell can you point to Tony Hawk 2 as an example of a generation-defining game when it doesn't contain even a single mention of the extinction of the Pyrenean Ibex?

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#112  Edited By monkeyking1969

I think like narrative (stories) we won't every get past, funneling, sign posting, eventing, or narrow scripts. for many games.

Narrative started with an oral traditions that spun out to plays, moralizing folktales, novels, children's books, and so-on and so-on. Stories spun out into many types of narrative and that all co-exist and they all bifurcate into new things.

Personally, I see open ended games existing in the future that are virtual worlds. I see the possibility of Star Trek world; Lord of the Rings worlds; James Bond worlds; etc. But just like modern MMOs they will just be a tiny part of a sprawling tapestry of games available to people.

mattimus_prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By mattimus_prime

i don't really know what you are asking for here, but one thing you mention is the lack of Covid references in the last of us 2. why would the last of us mention Covid? for one thing, games take a VERY long time to make, especially this one. Covid has been an issue for like 5 months. They had everything locked in way before Covid 19 was even discovered. Secondly, the first one starts off in what would have been present day, the game came out in what 2013? six years before Covid 19 was even discovered. then, the rest of the game takes place twenty years later, so 2033. Covid 19 never even happened in that world. And hell, even if it did happen, why would anyone in that world even care about a virus with like one percent fatality rate. this is a world that literally bombed major cities to try and squash infection rates. why would they care about a virus that the average age of the people that die of the virus is older than the average age that people die.

Gerorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Huh. Why does covid need to be mentioned? And is this just specifically for the Last of Us 2? Or do all videogames that are released in a certain window (let's say the rest of the year) need to be judged on their inclusion or lack of inclusion of a covid-19 reference?

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

@stise: This is by far the best response.

one_superhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By one_superhero

It seems to me, that the last time games are developing but in a commercial way. To archive something and be a qualified gamer, you should pay for all: weapon. status. another equipment. Of course, people want it and they will pay for this, even they are not qualified. I played early in a great number of games. However, I chose an old classic poker and roulettes. https://vulkanvegas.info/roulette/ Of course, it is not very interesting like an arcade and others, but you can not only improve your brain work but also gain some profits.

AKTANE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hi OP, you should just edit this post to ask for games that don't do the following, maybe then you'd get suggestions on what to play so you can then come up with new demands for what those games have or don't have. Eventually your list of demands may reach a conclusion and someone can find the perfect game for you that meets all your criteria. Or you can wait for that game to exist patiently (or secret third option, kickstart it or develop it yourself).

Also I second some of the grossness in the last paragraph of your first post, it makes me literally want to not interact with you at all in any way, but I'm trying to help here get you somewhere positive... keep that stuff to yourself

the short answer to "when are games going to x" is "when are gamers going to understand what it takes to make and ship a game"

When are games going to stop:

• Funneling
  • Sign posting
  • Quicktime eventing me
  • Narrow script and dialoguing me

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Mafia remake was delayed again - I imagine to add in some dialogue about JK Rowling's transphobia?

Avatar image for deactivated-611d8183a00c9
deactivated-611d8183a00c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

Gerorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fourthline

Here's your covid reference.

https://i.redd.it/279ucpledf951.jpg

Avatar image for deactivated-611d8183a00c9
deactivated-611d8183a00c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

@anominal: That is from Last of Us 1. The overlay is not the same as LOU2

Edit. Maybe not.

Gerorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Gerorne

@fourthline. You might be right. I just saw it labeled in the last of us subreddit tagged as coming from part 2.

However comments in the thread are saying there are several throughout the game, including in the grocery store in Jackson. (I have not seen them myself.)

Edit: Although the person who posted it says he thinks it's from Ellie Seattle Day 1.

(I feel like I rememeber the overlay changing in the early game.)

Rabidlamb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is either one of the best trolls of all time or a man having a mental breakdown.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The is the "Jeff's streaming overlays" of forum threads.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rigas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Everyone has said everything. The canon timeline of The Last of Us, the world ends in 2013. That's when the virus emerged in that world. Logically progressing from that the events that transpire in our work that ends in COVID-19 can't happen. Even if it did manifest there is not mass travel of humans to spread it. It stays contained where it originated. Calling it out in a game because it is happening in our world now, would be just lazy on everyone's part. It's ignoring the world they created, to comment on something that can't exist. This isn't Fortnite where Deadpool and Batman hang out with John Wick.

Games evolve every day, evolution is a slow and random process. You don't go from amoeba to humans in a week, compare any game from the start of a generation to one from the end. You will find huge advances despite running on the same hardware. The game from the end could have been released and run on day but it took a few years for it to evolve to where it got it.

I'm sure as we go forward COVID-19 will be integrated into games where appropriate. Do you expect Kojima to go back to Konami to allow him to rewrite the timeline of Metal Gear to include COVID-19 now? You shouldn't because COVID-19 doesn't exist in that universe the same way a man wearing a suit of hornets and walking nuclear tanks don't exist in ours. Or do you think the World Trade centre should be edited out of movies set past 2001 but still have them in the skyline?

It really sounds like you are burnt out, which happens, take a break get some distance. Come back to games in a week, month, year, or never. Whatever feels right for you.