Avatar image for clandestine1966
Clandestine1966

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Clandestine1966

Hi Guys, I shan't bore you with my gaming history, suffice to say I am a 45 year old who loves video games, these days I'm more content to watch my 13 year old son than actually play the games myself. Where is the addiction that used to compel me to complete 'just one more level', the monkey on my back that kept me tethered to my game of choice. I still love all the magical technology, the podcasts, and the gaming communities but haven't felt compelled to play a game through to completion for years. I guess my question is am I alone, does anyone else ever feel like they should be doing something more important as soon as they fire up a game, or is just me? Any thoughts? Kind regards, George PS I created a remix of the current Giant Bomb theme, I would really welcome any constructive feedback http://vimeo.com/37811370

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Hizang

@Clandestine1966:

No Caption Provided
TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By TwoLines

Huh, I'm still pretty young, so I can't say how I'd feel as, let's say, a 70 year old playing a game, but I think you're never too old for anything. Movies, TV, and yes, video games. Hell, you can watch cartoons and enjoy them. A more comprehensive answer would involve an idea of a target audience, how many old (let's say 80 year old) people watch action movies, and so on. Interesting subject, not enough data.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By mordukai

@Hizang said:

@Clandestine1966:

No Caption Provided
Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Sooty

Being too old to physically take part and just getting bored of the medium are really different things.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By BonOrbitz

You can stop playing games when yer dead.

Love the theme song remix!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#8  Edited By Hailinel
@Mordukai

@Hizang said:

@Clandestine1966:

No Caption Provided
phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By phantomzxro

When you can''t pick up a controller anymore.

TooSweet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TooSweet

I spent like 3-5 years where I barely picked up a game. Something in me just shut down on it. I think it was just that I felt I had too many responsibilities that needed to come first. These days I'm back in full force. I missed out on great stuff but that's okay. My dad though is now 60 and he plays on the DS and he enjoys some games on his laptop. He used to be a big fan of arcades like Pac-Man series, Rastan, 1942 and 1943, Ikari Warriors and Cabal. These days its Zuma on his laptop and tetris type stuff on his DS.

jjnen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By jjnen
@Hailinel
@Mordukai

@Hizang said:

@Clandestine1966:

No Caption Provided
bananaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By bananaz

When my hands stop working? I sometimes get that when I turn on my 360. It's the fact that this thing is made to play games and has it's own power supply and fan. It's a household appliance. PC games are easier to start up without feeling like you're interrupting your day. I spend far more time on sites like GB and Dtoid than I do playing games. I also stick to single player mostly and try to play one game at a time. You can't do everything anymore. Plan on which games you really want to play and what games you can skip.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By NegativeCero

I don't know. For me, it might be temporary, but I've begun to lose interest in sitting down to play games. But that is more of not having time to combined with everyone I used to game with being too busy too (college, work, life). I wouldn't call it being too old and I'm sure I'll be back eventually.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By N7

The day you die.

Brother_PipPop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Brother_PipPop

Never!

Two days ago, I went into gamestop (I know) to pick up SSX. And while I was in there there was this older retired man who was talking to the cashier. I was assuming he was getting something for his grandkids or what-ever. When i went up to the register since im shuch a dashing young man the cashier decided to actually talk to me (!!!) and she told methat he started playing games agin to improve his hand/eye coordination and he really wanted a new way to spend some time. He tried (I forget the exact name, some flight simy game or what have you) but it was going to fast. He decided to get Mass Effect 1 and 2. So I dont think there is any age limit.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Death.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By cornbredx

I'm 30 and while I take a break from playing games more often then I used to, and don't play as long as I used to- I still love to play video games and don't think I'll ever be to old for that. 

My mom is 63 and she still plays games all the time. Recently I got her into playing Mass Effect and she loves it. 

Edit: Oh and wanted to say I think what helps with that is that there is still games with a large focus on story as well as the other games with more focus on mechanics and game play. When I'm feeling to tired for mechanics I can just play something to enjoy the story. Just a guess, but with all the types of games out these days I think any one could play them and find something they like.

biospank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By biospank

never because there are so many awesome games that are made for adults now.  
@Brother_PipPop: You should have recomended a racing game because you use allot of eye/hand coordination on those game.

Shun_Akiyama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Shun_Akiyama

Your not drunk till you have to hold onto the ground, to keep from falling off the earth.

B0nd07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By B0nd07

@Hizang said:

@Clandestine1966:

No Caption Provided

This is the only answer and what I came in here to post.

NickBOTT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By NickBOTT

Never.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#22  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I forget how old Claude is. You can join his Silver Surfer club.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By zeforgotten

Never. 
Unless of course you reach an age where you suddenly forget how to play games. 
Forgetaboutgamingitis

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Fallen189

Like 25

nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By nick_verissimo

I think you can make the argument that you can never ever be too old to play games and enjoy everything about them. You can look at tons of people who absolutely love sports and never ever play them, but just don't have wherewithal to play them. In my case, I played hockey for 12 years, but stopped to lack of funds, school and work, but it hasn't stopped my love and appreciation for it since I last played. I think the same thing can be said for video games in that you can really enjoy all aspects of them and the community and brotherhood you feel without picking up a controller and playing something.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Until you are mentally and physically unable to play for more than 10 minutes.

Farley_Lives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#27  Edited By Farley_Lives

@Clandestine1966: Funny story about this actually. I've been training in a new area at work and my trainer is this jolly older gettlemen. Couldn't be more like the image of a veteran truck driver (which he is), second day in training out of nowhere he starts talking to me about how he's playing Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning. Spent the last few weeks talking about video games, I was just blown away cause this dude showed me pictures of his Grandkids then started talking to me about the Witcher games.

In Short, you are NEVER to old to play games. I will game till I die.

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Solh0und

When you're physically unable to play them.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By jozzy

Aren't there enough prejudices outside the gaming community that we need people that actually game ask if they are too old to game, or if they shouldn't be doing something useful? Seriously, you are obviously a smart person with a family and a multitude of responsibilities, you know what the importance of a hobby is. You also know that it has nothing to do with age. Not sure what you were expecting out of your post, was it only to plug your remix?

Sergotron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#30  Edited By Sergotron

When you start to have a family, career, and adult life your priorities do change. As long as you still enjoy playing them in that small window of free time, I see no problem with continuing to play games. If you rather be doing something else in that free time, then maybe it's time to stop.

Scalec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Scalec

When you die.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#32  Edited By Slag

As others have said, it isn't age, it's whether it fits timewise into the free time you have.

I think that's why I game less and most fo my friends do, not because we are older, but because we have less time due to work, spouses, home ownership, family etc. I know by the time I'm done with all that, I'm actually too gassed in a lot of cases to want to game like I used to.

And well I think you have to a certain amount of regular free time available to really make certain types of games fun. I used to pretty much play RPGs, but these days it's mainly starcraft and multiplayer things like that or games I know I can blow through in a couple sittings. It's because i know I'll maybe have a half an hour to an hour to play on who knows what days. So I gotta be able to get in quick and get my fix without having to remember too much what I did next time I pick up the game.

A lot of my friends, just jam out to Angry Birds and their ilk iphone games for their quick fixes.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33  Edited By crusader8463

18 obviously.

JudahJones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By JudahJones

I turn 33 this month and my wife and I are expecting our first child this summer. I'm known by my friends and family as the gaming enthusiast and the first thing anyone says when they find out is oh, now in addition to being too old for games, you'll no longer have time or interest! But I disagree with that. If you truly enjoy something, you will make the time to indulge yourself in it, and still balance your life and responsibilities. The only real change with gaming that I noticed due to age is that i cant keep up with the young rapscallions on fps and fighting games as easily as I used to. But then I get to indulge in other less action heavy genres like jrpgs and strategy games. So my tastes may get tweaked over the years, but as long as I still love doing it, I'll make the time for it.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By kindgineer

The same time you're too old for Legos.

Never.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#36  Edited By Claude
@Sweep said:

I forget how old Claude is. You can join his Silver Surfer club.

I'm 47 and still play a lot of video games. I would say I play more now than I did back in the Atari 2600, NES and SNES days.
mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By mracoon

Tastes certainly change with age but you're never too old to enjoy playing games. It's the same way you're never too old to watch movies, listen to music or read books.

Avatar image for clandestine1966
Clandestine1966

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Clandestine1966

Hi Guys,

I’m gratified to know I’m not the only one wrestling with this, one this for sure is that based on the tone and demeanour of everyone who was kind enough to reply, there is absolutely no prejudice when it comes to age! (not on the Giant Bomb)

I still love gaming and can’t wait to see what the next gen will bring; in the interim I do still enjoy the odd casual game on the iPad, I even bought an Amiga emulator a few weeks ago (but that’s another thread).

Thank you again for everyone who posted!

Kind regards,

George

http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/george-wood/34/683/ab8

jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#39  Edited By jimi

@Hizang said:

@Clandestine1966:

No Caption Provided
spartanlolz92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By spartanlolz92

i guess when my hands have arthritis. thats the only thing i can think of.

but your never to old to do soemthing you love.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Morrow

I think you are never too old to do the things you like :)

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By stryker1121

@Clandestine1966 said:

Hi Guys, I shan't bore you with my gaming history, suffice to say I am a 45 year old who loves video games, these days I'm more content to watch my 13 year old son than actually play the games myself. Where is the addiction that used to compel me to complete 'just one more level', the monkey on my back that kept me tethered to my game of choice. I still love all the magical technology, the podcasts, and the gaming communities but haven't felt compelled to play a game through to completion for years. I guess my question is am I alone, does anyone else ever feel like they should be doing something more important as soon as they fire up a game, or is just me? Any thoughts? Kind regards, George PS I created a remix of the current Giant Bomb theme, I would really welcome any constructive feedback http://vimeo.com/37811370

Gaming is a hobby. You could be putting boats in bottles or collecting stamps and nobody would frown upon it. If you have your shit together and you're not doing bong hits in Mom's basement while playing WoW 15 hrs a day, who's to say you can't game in some form or fashion for life?

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By stryker1121

@Farley_Lives said:

@Clandestine1966: Funny story about this actually. I've been training in a new area at work and my trainer is this jolly older gettlemen. Couldn't be more like the image of a veteran truck driver (which he is), second day in training out of nowhere he starts talking to me about how he's playing Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning. Spent the last few weeks talking about video games, I was just blown away cause this dude showed me pictures of his Grandkids then started talking to me about the Witcher games.

In Short, you are NEVER to old to play games. I will game till I die.

That is actually fairly awesome. Stereotype killer of a story indeed.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SlasherMan

When are you too old to watch movies or read books or listen to music?

Sgykah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Sgykah

i will stop playing video games when they stop challenging me. like a good book or a fun puzzle, they're a way of improving myself; whether that's my views on life, my hand eye coordination, or my mental acuity. now, if only i could figure out a way to combine my love of all things video games with my career.

xxxlynchxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By xxxlynchxxx

I day after I die... After the birth of my two kids, my gaming habits certainly have changed. I have a lot less time to play, but the time I do get is much more precious than it used to be. I don't see myself giving up games as they exist today. I could see myself not playing games in the future, should technology or gameplay render them unrecongnizable ( for the worse ). Imagine motion control to the extreme. Then I'll just be a grumpy old man longing for the good old days... And stay off my lawn!

RubberFactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By RubberFactory
No Caption Provided
StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By StrikeALight

I don't believe I'll ever stop playing video games.

I'm not into the marathon sessions like I once was, nor do I buy as many, but I still find them immensely rewarding and enjoyable.

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#49  Edited By Deusoma
@Hizang said:

@Clandestine1966:

No Caption Provided
You are too old to play video games when they close the lid on your coffin.
Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#50  Edited By Castiel

@Rappelsiini said:

@Hailinel
@Mordukai

@Hizang said:

@Clandestine1966: