When did irrelevant site-skin ads become a part of Giantbomb?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#101  Edited By Justin258

Yes, it's annoying and horrible, but it pays for this website, and you guys like this website don't you? I mean you might have been disappointed by a lack of content these past few months but you still like this site, don't you? You're reading this, aren't you?

They didn't have many huge ads before, but remember that they finally did run out of money and had to join up with CBS-I.

And if they really annoy you that much, there's AdBlock Plus or a paid membership. At the end of the day it's all about the Benjamin's, and those are needed in spades to keep a website such as this one up and running. Ads come with that.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#102  Edited By CL60

@Castiel said:

So that's how the site looks for poor/cheap people...

Go away.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#103  Edited By Ravenlight

@Jensonb said:

If you use AdBlocker, you are a thief, period. You wouldn't go around telling people to "just take" a loaf of bread if they didn't want to pay the $2 to buy one.

If that bread belongs to an ad company, I'd totally suggest you should "just take" it. I'd also advocate installing AdBlock on your family's and coworkers' computers. Just because shitty ads like this have been part of the internet since forever doesn't mean that they're not bullshit and a better way can't be found. I'm not claiming that Kickstarter the way of the future or anything but Penny Arcade found a way to keep their site profitable and ad-free.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#104  Edited By musubi

Its not the first skin they have done recently they did the Civ 5 Gods and Kings skin too. I'm pretty sure Dave was up front about saying site skins were a thing they were doing. I also don't think they control what ads get put up. Its a garish ad to be sure but hey ad block that bitch or ya know....pay some money. I honestly don't see the big deal in the long run.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#105  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Dogma said:

Their utopian vision of a less ad intrusive site did not work because advertisers were not interested so now they have to do as the other big boys and CBSi makes that work.

Precisely.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#106  Edited By zeforgotten

"Pay up or shut up. "
Or  
"Use ad-block if you really want the site gone that bad" 

Is what I'm seeing. 
Adorable does that mean people in this thread would also work for free?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By musubi

@ZeForgotten said:

"Pay up or shut up. "Or "Use ad-block if you really want the site gone that bad" Is what I'm seeing. Adorable does that mean people in this thread would also work for free?

What does that have to do with anything?

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By zeforgotten
@Demoskinos said:

@ZeForgotten said:

"Pay up or shut up. "Or "Use ad-block if you really want the site gone that bad" Is what I'm seeing. Adorable does that mean people in this thread would also work for free?

Ads pay for the site too not just you or me.  
If everyone stopped buying subscribtions and started using ad-block then this site would've died a long time ago. 

Want me to draw it in MS Paint? :P
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#109  Edited By Milkman

Kind of gross but I guess that's what happens now with CBS running the ads.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By musubi

@ZeForgotten said:

@Demoskinos said:

@ZeForgotten said:

Ads pay for the site too not just you or me. If everyone stopped buying subscribtions and started using ad-block then this site would've died a long time ago. Want me to draw it in MS Paint? :P

Possibly, but i'm not going to feel bad about using ad-block. Not that I have to worry about it anyways since I'm a subscriber. I mean does anyone see ads nowdays anyways? Chrome is the most used browser now days and adblock is the most used ad-on for chrome.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Dogma said:

Why is this so horrible or shocking? The guys can't stay in business without advertisement. Their Whiskey Media venture did not pan out for them on the advertisment side of things. Can't we just be happy that this may mean that things are going well for the guys at Giantbomb or is your private concern that their is a big ad on the site (free site mind you!) more important than that the bomb crew can have a job and work with the site we all love? And as someone else said. If you don't like it adblock it and if you think you don't support them because of that then subscribe. The subscription model has always been their for those who want to to support them and that was how they wished the site would manage but we were not enough people to subscribe to make the whole thing go round.

Their utopian vision of a less ad intrusive site did not work because advertisers were not interested so now they have to do as the other big boys and CBSi makes that work.

Also...lost their integrity? What has this to do with their editorial integrity? Does that mean that all site and magazines with ads don't have editorial integrity?

On one hand, I totally get this. It's the way it is, and we've got to deal with it.

I think what ruffles people's feathers, though, is that advertising and Giantbomb have always had a contentious history: hence the mumblings of "lost editorial integrity." While, usually, I find that argument to be boring and overplayed, Giantbomb is maybe the one place I can see it making sense in context because the site exists due to the pressures of advertising on editorial integrity. Ads, advertisers, and superiors are what led to the creation of Giantbomb which was born out of a desire to sidestep the close relationship between publishers and reviewers and try to get back to the games. It's an argument worth considering here.

However, we do have to remember the flip side to this: Giantbomb was started because an editor chose getting fired over compromising his editorial integrity. I don't think any of us have to worry that having ads on the site is going to cloud the talking of the crew any time soon. They never have been and still aren't afraid to tell us when they think a game totally fucking sucks.

birchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#112  Edited By birchman

Grr, ads. You can't see it, but ooooh boy am I mad.

Twistation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Twistation

I completely agree with CrossTheAtlantic, except for on one thing:

By allowing these ads on their site, they have already compromised their integrity in a way. They said this site was going to be free of ads, but obviously they have not stuck to their guns. I agree that we can trust them to tell us the truth about games and not be compromised in that way, but you and I know the story of how Giantbomb was founded and their past with Gamespot. Not everybody does. Someone coming to this site without that knowledge has to decide if this is a place they want to trust based on what is presented to them upfront. To them, what makes this site different from any others? Why should they come here instead of IGN? What happens down the road when the crew we know and love retires or moves on to other things, to be replaced by new people. Can we trust them to be just as incorruptible?

I'd love to know how the Giantbomb guys feel about this.

Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Nephrahim

Ouch, that's a pretty painful ad. Glad I don't have to see it.

I hope they can use something a little less... uh, extreme. I for one enjoyed the little interactive ads they had a while ago for a bit, I think they were sprint ads too.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

I really don't see the big deal.

nicolasvh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#116  Edited By nicolasvh

The simpe solution would be, just download AdBlock. Which is fine and does the job diasbling the horrific yellow ad. However, the consequences are not being able to watch any video on the website. So the question is: how can you disable the ads, with the videoplayer working fine and not feel mandatory to subscribe? I tried some stuff and came to this solution which worked perfect for me.

1.) Click on the AdBlock icon on your browser

2.) Go to 'Options'

3.) Edit your filters manually

4.) Add the following lines:

@@||i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/Ads/common/manta/$domain=giantbomb.com
@@||mads.giantbomb.com$domain=giantbomb.com
@@||giantbomb.com/ads/$domain=giantbomb.com
@@||js.revsci.net/gateway/gw.js$domain=giantbomb.com
@@||vox-static.liverail.com$domain=giantbomb.com

5.) Save

Voila!

Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#117  Edited By Insectecutor

At least it's an ad for a well known company and a technology product, unlike the ads on tested.com which seem to be entirely decomposing corpses smeared with face cream.

If you don't like the ad (it is kinda vivid), block it. Anyone who gets up in your face about the fact that your browser doesn't render certain content is full of shit and should find something more worthwhile to get holier-than-thou about.

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By notdavid

Woah. I had no idea. I get why ads are necessary from a business perspective, but there has to be a classier way to incorporate them than covering your entire fucking screen.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#119  Edited By Hunter5024

maybe you could weigh in on this?

hugh_jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By hugh_jazz

@Twistation: I'm pretty sure it's never been said that this site would be free of ads.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Milkman
@Hunter5024 said:

@Jeff maybe you could weigh in on this?

Here's your answer. 

The staff has zero input on the ads that go up on the site now. So, there ya go.
Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Nephrahim

It sucks but... hey, I guess this is the cost of doing business? You look at Video game reviewing sites and a LOT have annoying ads at least some of the time.

I still like the site enough I'll keep subscribing, and even if I didn't, as others have pointed out you can find a way to avoid the annoying ads if you want to. Still kind of sucks.

Rave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Rave

That's pretty awful. Would have been nice to atleast here the guys agree but admit they can do nothing about it. My real question is does this type of ad actually work? I mean who sees this and talks about the product positively or wants to buy it? Surely a quality or interesting ad would be better then this eye sore

clapperdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By clapperdude

@Jensonb said:

Also, I'm sick of people saying "just use AdBlocker". If you use AdBlocker, you are a thief, period. You wouldn't go around telling people to "just take" a loaf of bread if they didn't want to pay the $2 to buy one.

So when I change the channel on TV when the commercials come on...I'm stealing? I didn't realize -- thanks for pointing this out. I'll make sure to view every possible ad in every situation as to make sure I don't thieve from anyone.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By geirr

It's just a bit much. Ever since "the change" we've heard how things were going to stay the some yet somehow be awesomer. This has not happened as far as I'm concerned and watching my favorite site through the years get fucked by this yellow bullshit just grinds my gears. Had it only been on the sides of the page? Maybe. But as it is, or was (I haven't checked if it's gone), it completely ruins the design of the site as well. To me Giantbomb.com's designs have been almost iconic and I always felt like I was supporting something really special. But when I hear about this, and see it happening, it's not pleasant.

Installing ad-block doesn't help anyone, that's like sweeping dust under the rug and hoping it'll magically go away. But it won't, it'll just bunch up and in the end become a huge pile of crap. I'm supporting the site, and I will continue to do so for a while but if things don't change I will follow Giantbomb's own advice of voting with your money. As it stands the site has become a tad of a hypocritical mirror of its former self and it stings my duder heart.

No Caption Provided

Or maybe it actually is Dolan..

Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Nephrahim

@geirr: Goofy pls

Ungh, I feel dirty for meeming it up there.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#127  Edited By Castiel

@CL60 said:

@Castiel said:

So that's how the site looks for poor/cheap people...

Go away.

Nope!

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#128  Edited By MooseyMcMan

If you don't like it, then become a paying subscriber. I know that might not be an option (I know I'm not a paying subscriber solely because of lack of funds), but that's the way it is.

Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Nephrahim

They were just cruel to offer the discount like 2 weeks before the Steam sale. Any other time of the year and I've have gold under my icon instead of silver.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#130  Edited By Dagbiker

Being poor would suck.

Supercancer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By Supercancer

@NicolasVH: Thanks mate

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By musubi

@Jensonb said:

@rebgav said:

@Jensonb said:

Uh, folks...Welcome to the Internet.

[...]

Also, I'm sick of people saying "just use AdBlocker". If you use AdBlocker, you are a thief, period. You wouldn't go around telling people to "just take" a loaf of bread if they didn't want to pay the $2 to buy one.

Yes, only on the internet would someone make such a dumb argument and expect it to be taken seriously.

Oh that's right, I forgot, this is bizarro world, in which people get to pretend that intellectual property and content is worthless and that circumventing ways of paying for it is therefore morally unimpeachable.

Oh, so I guess I'm also stealing when I flip the channel on TV when an ad comes on? Or when I DVR everything and then just fast forward through the ads? Please.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By geirr

@SamDrugbringer said:

@geirr: Goofy pls

Ungh, I feel dirty for meeming it up there.

I know, I'm sorry.. I'm not helping the situation.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By geirr

@MooseyMcMan said:

If you don't like it, then become a paying subscriber. I know that might not be an option (I know I'm not a paying subscriber solely because of lack of funds), but that's the way it is.

I don't like it and I am a paying subscriber. The subscriptions did not feel this forced when they were announced way back when.

(edited a typo)

DreadMorrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By DreadMorrison

@Demoskinos: No, because you are already paying for that. You are not (i'm guessing) paying for Giant Bomb. It does suck though, those ads are pretty foul.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By CaLe

I dunno how people even use the internet without adblock. It's obnoxious as shit and it's sad to see Giant Bomb being rolled over with it.

clapperdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By clapperdude

@joaomatosamaro said:

@Demoskinos: No, because you are already paying for that. You are not (i'm guessing) paying for Giant Bomb

Already paying for cable access you mean? By that logic then you should be agreeing that paying for internet access also means you don't have to worry yourself with viewing ads hehe. You need to rethink this thing...It seriously does not make sense.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Milkman
@joaomatosamaro said:

@Demoskinos: No, because you are already paying for that. You are not (i'm guessing) paying for Giant Bomb. It does suck though, those ads are pretty foul.

But I pay for internet too. How is that any different?
Jumanji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Jumanji
@dcgc said:

Well I guess by using Adblock this ad doesn't bother me at all. My advice to people annoyed with the ad is to use that addon. And please don't start with the "using adblock is wrong, the site doesn't get money", what are paid subscriptions for?

This post brought to you by a guy without a subscription.
musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By musubi

@joaomatosamaro said:

No, your paying for Comcast or whoever you get cable off of to allow you access to those channels. The channels themselves are funded by ads. I pay comcast for access to the internet whatever sites are on the internet are funded by ads on their site. Its the SAME damn thing.

gloomytangent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By gloomytangent

Here's the thing. I don't mind ads, especially on sites like this that I enjoy. However, I do mind bad ads. This is a bad ad. It's garish, and every time I look at it it's like it's fucking my eyes. I don't demand Penny Arcade style control from the Giant Bomb crew, where they have full veto power and only run ads for products they approve of and think are quality, but I also don't think the ads should actively detract from the site. The previous skins have been understated enough that I had no problem with them. This one is actively offensive on an aesthetic level.

Jumanji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By Jumanji
@NicolasVH said:

The simpe solution would be, just download AdBlock. Which is fine and does the job diasbling the horrific yellow ad. However, the consequences are not being able to watch any video on the website. So the question is: how can you disable the ads, with the videoplayer working fine and not feel mandatory to subscribe? I tried some stuff and came to this solution which worked perfect for me.

1.) Click on the AdBlock icon on your browser

2.) Go to 'Options'

3.) Edit your filters manually

4.) Add the following lines:

@@||i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/Ads/common/manta/$domain=giantbomb.com
@@||mads.giantbomb.com$domain=giantbomb.com
@@||giantbomb.com/ads/$domain=giantbomb.com
@@||js.revsci.net/gateway/gw.js$domain=giantbomb.com
@@||vox-static.liverail.com$domain=giantbomb.com

5.) Save

Voila!

This is pretty gross, I hope you get machine ID banned.
DreadMorrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By DreadMorrison

@Milkman: @clapperdude: I'm not saying the system is perfect, in fact it sucks. But what you are paying for internet does not go to giant bomb, while certain channels make deals with specific cable providers and some of that money goes to make the content you like. Giant Bomb isn't. You do have the right to complain about it because ads are fucking disgusting, but I think they are trying to do it well.

Jumanji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By Jumanji
@Supercancer said:

@NicolasVH: Thanks mate

Truly, you could not have picked a more appropriate name.
tsiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By tsiro

@clapperdude: your lack of understanding of different advertising models is impressive. On the internet, it is easy to count how many people see/click on an ad. As such, you find that advertising models are generally structured around that (e.g. payment according to number of times displayed, price determined by view/clickthrough rate). With services like Google Analytics and Quantcast, it's also really easy to get a pretty accurate measurement of the different demographics visiting the site, so ads can be targeted even further towards that (and that will of course play into advertising costs).

TV, on the otherhand, involves much more passive advertising. Sure, you can target ads towards demographics, but by nature of the system, you can't get precise numbers nearly as accurately.

In conclusion: AdBlock is for jerks. Especially on sites that you use frequently and like.

DreadMorrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By DreadMorrison

I should really stop giving my opinion online, obviously I suck at it. Sorry @Demoskinos

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#147  Edited By Dagbiker

If you use adblock, and dont have a sub, you are a scrub.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#148  Edited By Little_Socrates

I've spent a month non-premium due to lack of funds, and so I've disabled my ad-blocker. The EVO ad is ugly, it doesn't load very well, and it discourages watching videos through the front page player in anything but fullscreen. As a regular, the ad really doesn't bother me, as I spend so little time on the home page that I barely notice it.

But I'm very sad that I'd have trouble recommending a friend use the site while this ad is active, as first impressions are everything.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

How many subscribers are there? How many people work for Giant Bomb? How much are operating expenses?

Everything they said at the beginning about small website, small overhead just seems to grow more and more irrelevant every year. How long before articles are broken into multiple pages to increase page views, how long before there's sponsored TNTs with ad breaks? Was all that great talk about 'community driven, we're in a relationship with you, not advertisers' was that just to get a metric so you could then sell to advertisers?

Shit like this makes that Penny Arcade kickstarter seem like a good idea.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By BraveToaster

At least it's for a cellphone and not a penis enlarger or something.