When did you last pre-order a game? - What game was it, and why did you pre-order?

• 175 results
SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Poll When did you last pre-order a game? - What game was it, and why did you pre-order? (540 votes)

Less than a week ago 18%
Sometime in the last month 19%
Sometime in the last three months 17%
Sometime in the last six months 7%
Sometime in the last year 7%
Sometime in the last couple of years 10%
A few years ago or more 17%
I've never pre-ordered a game 5%

Some people seem to feel really strongly about not pre-ordering games, so I thought this might make an interesting poll.

Personally, I rarely pre-order games anymore unless I can try them before committing to a purchase, get some bonus for pre-ordering, and / or can see reviews early enough before release that I can still cancel my order. For example, reviews of The Witcher 3 came out early enough that I felt comfortable committing to a pre-order. For doing so, I ended up getting a free copy of the official game guide. It's just under 500 pages, retails for 29.99, and months after release is currently being sold on Amazon for 19.99. That's a great deal for a game I was going to pick up at launch anyway.

Seeing as I enjoyed the beta quite a bit, my most recent pre-order was Black Ops 3. Getting a single free multiplayer map isn't an amazing bonus for pre-ordering, but I've already played the game and already know that I like it, so why not get a bonus?

When the only thing you have to go on is hype, I can see why pre-ordering might not be in your best interest, but that's not always the case for me personally. People with a Street Fighter V pre-order--another title I have pre-ordered--have been able to play the game on and off for months now, and have a personal understanding of how the game will feel. That's far more reliable to me than waiting to see a Metacritic score.

To each their own, but pre-ordering certain games has a history of being in my best interest. How do you feel about the topic, though? When did you last pre-order a game and why? If you no longer pre-order games, why did you personally decide to stop?

• 
isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I've not done a pre-order of a physical copy in years, but I buy digital games in advance all the time.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Well most recently Fallout 4, which I pre-ordered only a few days ago cause it was $59 which is unheard of in Australia.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Well most recently Fallout 4, which I pre-ordered only a few days ago cause it was $59 which is unheard of in Australia.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you pre-order it? I'm not from Australia, but I know someone who is. Also, which version was it?

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Fallout 4, because I had a discount code to get it at £30.

I'm a Bethesda junkie so the game was always going to get bought.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

I pre-order all the time, whenever I want, whatever I want, because I want to. Some games I get after on sale, and some just because whatever. 99% digital, and whenever physical because it's on sale. I do like Black Friday.

Fallout 4, MGS 5, Forza 6, Blops 3, Halo 5, and Transformers have been my last that I remember. Just Cause 3 is probably my next, although I'm looking forward to Mafia 3 more anyway, sort of.

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I only pre-order when I'm pretty damn sure I'm going to like the game, and there's some limited edition thing I want. Not like in-game content, but some dumb physical thing. This year I pre-ordered the MGSV big collector's edition and that Fallout 4 bundle with the socks. Any pre-order physical stuff is normally in the box for the first few weeks anyways. For instance, I bought AC: Syndicate the day after I saw the QL and got the "pre-order" missions. I wanna' say the same thing happened with Far Cry 4, I bought it like two weeks after release and got some pre-order bonus with it anyways.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Within the last month. Halo 5 and Dsigaea 5. I preordered both because I wanted both as soon as they came out and was completely confident that both games would be great,

I was right.

I also preordered the upcoming Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon and Xenoblade Chronicles X, and a couple of titles dropping early next year. Personally, I don't buy into the whole "stop, preordering games, maaaaaaan!" thing because I've never once had a bad experience and I want mah damn games ASAP. Maybe one day it'll all go horribly wrong, but for now, I don't give a fuuuuuuuuuuuck.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

MGS V. I was 100% sure I will enjoy that game, no matter what it'll end up being. Guess what. I was right.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I went through a long stretch without preordering (Halo 2 until PS4 launch). Then I kind of said "screw it". I've been lucky so far. I know what I enjoy. Unless a game is totally broken (most recently BF4 for me), I'm never disappointed. I just need to watch a few minutes of gameplay to see if it feels "off". If it doesn't and I want to play the game on release, I'll preorder. I just spent $48 on Fallout 4. Saving 20% and playing it at midnight is a win-win for me.

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Civ Beyond Earth. The bitter taste is still in the back of my throat.

somethingodd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Super Mario Maker but I was assured that the game would be worthwhile to me with the videos that Giant Bomb has put out.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate preordeing stuff, but Nintendo LOVES to not make enough of its collectors editions. And I really wanted that chibi robo amiibo...so I pre ordered the zip lash bundle. I actually enjoyed the game and love the amiibo, so I wasn't let down.

That was the first time I've pre ordered in a loong lonng time. Gonna be even longer till I do that again.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

I pre-ordered Fallout 4 this week. The first console game I've pre-ordered.

The only reason I did (and ever do) is because the game is at least $10 cheaper than normal. Done it with a few PC games and not been disappointed. I narrowly avoided the shit show that was Batman: Arkham Knight on PC. Greenmangaming dropped it to like $30 the day before release which seemed too good to be true. Looking up some stuff about the game I decided not to go with it. Good decision.

But in terms of pre-ordering to get extra in game content and whatnot, screw that. I just wish Day One digital prices (or even months later digital prices) for console games were reasonable and I'd just go with that.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@babychoochoo: Same. I've been lucky enough to never have been burned on a pre-order. I don't pre-order much, unless it's a collectors edition that I'm looking for. Yes, I'm that guy folks. I'm the reason companies keep putting out collectors editions that people seem to hate for some reason.

The closest I've gotten to being burned was with Civ Beyond Earth. But I got it at 30% off the RRP before it was being released and while it's not a great game I got a couple of hours of enjoyment out of it before I went back to Civ V.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

I have an incredibly accurate sense of what I will and won't enjoy. When I do pre-order, I am fully confident that I will like the game and I'm right 99% of the time. I can't even remember the last time I was wrong.

So I pre-order for pricing reasons and occasionally specific bonuses. Oh, and collectors editions. Like Fallout 4.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I pre-order maybe 1 or 2 games a year, because I know what I'll play anyway and have a retailer, who sends out copies of games up to a week pre-release. It's not like I can't wait or anything, but if I have the chance to get something I want a few days early, why not?

This year I pre-ordered Witcher 3, Fallout 4 and Star Wars: Battlefront (didn't plan on this one, but the beta convinced me).

Rodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#21  Edited By Rodin

I preordered fallout 4 about 2 days ago but only because it was the cheapest way to get in aus. Before that tho, I honestly can't remember it's been so long.

Actually the last thing I preordered was the ps4 with killzone

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

Since I'm buying all of my games digitally now, what I'll typically do is just wait until a day ahead of release and then make the call on whether or not I want to pre-order the game so that I can pre-load and play at midnight. By that point, you can typically find some impressions somewhere on the internet even if official reviews are embargoed until release day.

I think the last game I pre-ordered was MGS V - that's not counting NBA 2K16 which was one of those "pre-order" to play it now things.

edgaras1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I preordered once. That was 2 years ago or so, when I saw WItcher 3 trailer during live stream. I will preorder anything CDPRojekt throws at me.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The last game I preordered was Destiny because it was Bungie and I loved the alpha and beta and thought it was going to be incredible. Long story short it's the last game I'm probably ever going to preorder.

Destiny quickly and aggressively became my least favorite game of all time.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Ravelle

I pre-order games from developers which I trust.

Nipon Ichi Software always delivers on Disgaea collectors editions, it's always full of neat goodies for a reasonable price so I usually pre-order those.

From Software is also always good with collectors editions have pre-ordered every collectors edition from the Souls games and Bloodborne.

My last pre-ordered game was the collectors edition of Phantom Pain.

So basically I only pre-order if a game has a physical collectors edition, I don't pre-order for digital collectors editions with dumb gear as a bonus.

Teoball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really consider it a pre-order, but I buy games the day before they come out so I can start downloading them before they unlock.
I haven't bought a physical copy of a game since january.

hacksword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The last game I preordered was Dark Souls 2. Giant Bomb's quicklook showed that the PC version was a competent port, and I wanted to preload the game.

ninnanuam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hardened Codblops 3

It comes out the same day as the elite and Id thought since I'm already pre-ordering that may as well pick up a game.

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#30  Edited By SMTDante89

Somewhere in the last three months, though I rarely pre-order games nowadays.

I asked for three games for my birthday and went ahead and put the minimum price on each and pre-ordered them to make it easier for someone to put money down on them.

The three games were One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3, Tearaway: Unfolded and the Disco Fever edition of Persona 4: Dancing All Night.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MGSV, cause I wanted to preload it

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Legacy of the Void. Because it's starcraft and I want the collectors edition. I don't think I've pre-ordered any other game this year besides Witcher 3 for the pre-load.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Collector's edition of Legacy of the Void which I already had preordered but had to cancel and redo because Amazon was bugging out and not letting me apply a gift-card to it. I preorder most of my games because it's easy, convenient, and there has yet to be a compelling argument made for why I should stop.

Cav829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

I pre-order constantly because of Best Buy's current Gamer's Club Unlocked structure. Basically, I pay $48 for any new game, a good chunk of which also come with a $10 reward certificate. If I trade it in within the first week or so of launch (and typically the first month), I get about $40 back.

Example: Bought Halo 5 for $50.99 after tax. I got a $10 reward certificate in the process. I beat the campaign and played some of the multi-player, and after a week, decided it wasn't that great. I traded it in yesterday for about $43.50. Hence it's pretty risk-free.

If it wasn't for this, I wouldn't touch pre-orders as DLC incentives are rarely appealing to me. The last game I actually pre-ordered for some sort of bonus was Persona 4: Ultimax, because it came with 2 characters I would have ended up buying anyway.

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

preordered destiny to get white ps4.

I don't like to preorder anything and i usually do it the day before just for bonus stuff. I stopped by local gamestop other day to ask if there was any bonus for preordering fallout 4 and after she said no she asked if I wanted to preorder it? I told here the was no point and I would just show up and pick one up when I have time. I live in a big city where there are like 3 gamestops within 10 miles of each other. It will not be hard to find fallout day it comes out, and by not preordering I can just stop in whatever store I'm going past at some point and pick it up.

I didn't preorder dragon age, but stopped in day it came out and still got some kind of bonus.

Most stuff I would rather wait and see reviews to make sure game isn't broken or terrible. Also I'm always behind on games so I can always wait and get it cheaper, I'm still playing far cry.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pre-ordered Fallout 4 because I could get it for $48 off GMG

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the last month I've pre-ordered Halo 5 on Xbox and Fallout 4 on PC.
I've got nothing against pre-ordering and think it's quite funny when people are so passionate about it.
What I do have a problem with is retailer specific pre-order bonuses which are just plain stupid.
Being a PC gamer since forever, a lot of the time it's a digital download and I want to pre-load, even more so with current gen consoles.
If a game is coming and I want the boxed copy I'll pre-order, just knowing it's there waiting has no negative impact for me.
A lot of people talk like if they pre-order something than they're stuck with it.
Just put $5 down and if you change your mind, cancel your order and or put that $5 towards something else.
NBD

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I preordered Street Fighter V so I could play in the beta. I don't regret my decision and no amount of internet slut shaming will change my mind.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

I'm gonna guesstimate at some time in the last three months. I don't really "pre-order" stuff so much as "buy it a couple of days in advance to ensure delivery or snag the bonuses" and even then only for games I am 100% certain I want to play at launch. For the rest of the year the only two games I think fall into that category for me are Black Ops III and Fallout 4. Perhaps Legacy of the Void too, although I don't really think there's any kind of pre-order bonus so I may just buy it on the day of release (or a few days later depending on when I have time to start it).

Ackbarguo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Street Fighter V because of the beta and I need it I need it I need it!!! Phase 3 pleaseeeee.

Murgatroyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Preordered Vermintide. I don't usually preorder stuff, but as a fan of Left 4 Dead and a fantasy tabletop player (prior to AoS anyway) I was way into the concept. I'd seen enough to be willing to risk the $20 or whatever to occasionally blow up some Skaven.

Also, Fallout 4. Not because of hype, but because I know I'll play it, I'd rather play it within the next 6 months, and likely the price differential there would be equal. $40 near launch is basically the sale price 6-8 months down the road on high profile games like that.

DougCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Fallout 4. i pre ordered it because there is no way i wasnt gonna buy it.

usually when i pre-order a game, its for money reasons as opposed to because of the pre-order incentives. for example, i get paid bi-weekly so if a game comes out in a week i dont get payed i might pre-order it the week before so i can pay it off when i know i have the spending cash to spare. that way i can walk into the gamestop and just pick it up, without having to check my bank account and do the mental math to see if i can afford it or if i need to wait.

back before i had a job i would pre-order games and sort of use it like layaway. i could put the 5 dollars down to reserve it at gamestop, and then periodically go in and add more money to the pre-order so that hopefully by launch day i will have fully paid it off.

I get that people hate pre-orders and pre-order incentives and pre-order-driven ad campaigns, but if you look past all the negative press, a pre-order can in a lot of ways be a very useful service for some consumers.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only pre-ordered two games so far: GTA V and MGS V.

And I only did it because:
a) I knew I would buy them anyway even if they had some issues;
b) the store I pre-ordered them from sold them around 10€-15€ cheaper than after the release.

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

@cav829 said:

I pre-order constantly because of Best Buy's current Gamer's Club Unlocked structure. Basically, I pay $48 for any new game, a good chunk of which also come with a $10 reward certificate. If I trade it in within the first week or so of launch (and typically the first month), I get about $40 back.

Example: Bought Halo 5 for $50.99 after tax. I got a $10 reward certificate in the process. I beat the campaign and played some of the multi-player, and after a week, decided it wasn't that great. I traded it in yesterday for about $43.50. Hence it's pretty risk-free.

If it wasn't for this, I wouldn't touch pre-orders as DLC incentives are rarely appealing to me. The last game I actually pre-ordered for some sort of bonus was Persona 4: Ultimax, because it came with 2 characters I would have ended up buying anyway.

I don't trade in anywhere near that fast, but the discount on pre-orders, plus the 10.00 certificate has definitely increased the number of pre-orders I do in a year. My latest was Fallout 4.

shiro2809

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MGSV, I was going to get it on day 1 regardless so why not?

I would've been AC:Syndicate for the same reasons, but I needed to use the money I was going to put towards that on more important things so got it a few days ago instead.

Shoey920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Shoey920

At retail? never. At least not anytime recently. If I had to guess it was probably Resident Evil 4 on the Gamecube?

I think the last one digitally for me was Until Dawn because I wanted to pre-load it.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I usually pre-order games I'm going to play anyways, so the last one I did was MGS V (and I might just do it for Fallout 4). Otherwise I'm fine waiting for word-of-mouth and reviews before deciding if something is worth full price.

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it's one of my highly anticipated, shelve-everything-else games I'll pre-order it. The timeframe between pre-order and release date has become shorter over the years, down to a week or less these days just in case the date moves or whatever.

My latest intentional pre-order was Witcher 3. I did pre-order MGSV as well, but that was because when I went to get Ground Zeroes (to use as a demo of sorts) I was able to get GZ for free for pre-ordering MGSV.

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

I preordered Fallout 4 in June, following the announcement trailer. I don't think I've preordered since, though I've bought MGSV and a few other games.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The most recent game I've preordered and haven't received yet is Fallout 4 and the reasoning is because there was a pricing error on GMG and I got it for -50%.

Then after that I preordered Yarn Yoshi bundle because I wanted to make sure that I was able to get a yarn Yoshi.