When will the Eighth generation (2012–present) of console end?

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

Edited By monkeyking1969

Poll When will the Eighth generation (2012–present) of console end? (201 votes)

2018 2%
2019 11%
2020 28%
2021 12%
Past 2021...by a year or two 12%
Its endless...a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction. 21%
Just show me the answers 12%

The current Generation is a weird one, not weirder than any other, just weird in into own way. It opened with Wii U slipping out in 2012 followed by PS4 and Xbox One in 2013. We then had PS4 Pro and Xbox S follow in 2016, and Xbox code-name Scorpio coming this year.

And, yes, I think this concept of iterative generations that keep going is hog wash. I think a line will be drawn and old hardware will not play new games around 2021. That's my opinion, if you don't think so...whatever...you are entitled to your opinion. That is why the poll is up above, vote.

• 
L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 26

The Switch will hopefully go past 2021. The PS4 and XBone will probably start slowing down around then....

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Since when was Wii U a next-gen console ?

SnowyPliskin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ares42: Since it came out after the Wii.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Ten years.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A looong time. I think the consoles will just continue to make gradual improvements upon the hardware ala Scorpio. And update or switch out hardware when necessary. At least that's my uninformed guess.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By bigsocrates  Online

What does end mean? Does it mean the first games that only play on Scorpio and not XBONE OG or when half the games are Scorpio only? The last cross hardware games?

I think that, at least for XBOX it will be like PC. No clean line of demarcation but at some point some new software won't play on the older hardware, but some will.

Sony could go either with a clean break or a slow phase out. Nintendo will do a clean break because Nintendo is Nintendo.

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Similar to how games are handled on PC, at some point support for older hardware needs to be cut in order for advancements in software to be made. It's my personal belief that from now on, the release of every new hardware revision will drop support for two models back. So, when the next Scorpio and PS5 come out, the original Xbox One and PS4 will no longer see new titles come out on them. That'll give them a market life of about what we're used to anyway, but the difference from here on out is that any future console release should be backwards compatible with anything that came out in 2013 and onward.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Corvak

Hopefully never.

Consoles ought to just fall into a cycle of upgraded hardware whenever its needed, and consoles become a less technical-minded version of the PC. I felt like playing Ace Combat 6 recently, and since it isn't on backwards compatibility I had to set up my 360, sort out plugs and all that. Pain in the arse, i'd rather have one box from MS and one from Sony that can do all of their games, going forward. And replacing that box with a new one ought to still run my old stuff.

I found myself buying games for PC whenever possible once I could afford to build a good one, simply because I know nobody is going to rip the rug out from under me, and I won't have to worry about having to keep old unsupported hardware in working order in order to play my old games. Even games from the 90s that dont run great can be made to work because the PC is an open platform, so people hack stuff together. And can run virtual machines to emulate old OSes, if necessary.

None_Braver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If wonder if some day we a PC-type console where we can just upgrade components.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Zeik

One of the reasons I've always liked consoles is that I don't have to worry about constantly upgrading or the endless amount of different specs that may or may not cause a game to run properly. If I buy a new console I know I can play every game that comes out for it as intended for a solid 5-10 years.

Convenience and ease of use is one of the major selling points of consoles vs PCs and a huge reason consoles continue to dominate such a huge part of the market place despite the hardware advantages of PCs. If you take that away and turn them all into mini-PCs then what's the point of consoles?

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@snowypliskin: So if someone made a new amiga that's slightly better than the old ones, that would be a next-gen console ?

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@ares42: Yep. Generations are defined by time, not power.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I honestly don't know. The PS4 Pro and Xbox Scorpio have my predictions all fucked up. For all I know, this could be the Endless Eighth generation.

cerberus3dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, 2021 sounds way too far in the future for me right now. The iphone-ification of video game consoles seems to be on the horizon with the Pro/Scorpio so I could see console makers gradually transition to iterated upgrades if there is a good response to the scorpio. Nintendo won't follow this trend though because they're Nintendo.

Jeremy808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who knows, this generation is so fucked up and weird thanks to the Pro/Scorpio.

I imagine the idea of the Pro/Scorpio is opening up the lane for just making a new iteration of those models with newer/better hardware every couple years. Like phones. Even though that's a kinda crappy business model for consoles. Much like how time goes on and iphones can't take newer os updates and apps, eventually the consoles will be like that. Want to play the newest games? You'll need to get the xbox 2019 version. That 2013 version can't play these games anymore.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Not sure, how many bits are we at these days?

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:

One of the reasons I've always liked consoles is that I don't have to worry about constantly upgrading or the endless amount of different specs that may or may not cause a game to run properly. If I buy a new console I know I can play every game that comes out for it as intended for a solid 5-10 years.

Convenience and ease of use is one of the major selling points of consoles vs PCs and a huge reason consoles continue to dominate such a huge part of the market place despite the hardware advantages of PCs. If you take that away and turn them all into mini-PCs then what's the point of consoles?

Everything I was going to say. I just wanna plug in my console and play, not worry about which game runs on which version and what upgrade I need to buy.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly don't know. The PS4 Pro and Xbox Scorpio have my predictions all fucked up. For all I know, this could be the Endless Eighth generation.

Wow, long repressed memories have suddenly resurfaced when you said Endless Eight. Horrible memories of disappointment and disbelief.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By stonyman65

Probably within the next 2 or 3 years.

@zeik said:

That is the problem facing the console market for the last few years. Hardware is advancing so fast these days that it is simply not possible for consoles to last that long anymore. The only reason why PCs are working so well these days is because the hardware is powerful enough to last several years. The only way that consoles can really compete in the long term is to use hardware equivelant to what current PCs are using. The problem is that that is very expensive and I don't think anyone wants to buy a consoles in the $800-$1200 range every 5 years like a PC and then another $300 every 2 years for a new graphics card. You need PC performance to last and to play the most recent games at decent settings, but you simply aren't going to get that out of a $400 console unless they sell it at a huge loss and even then it generally won't be something that you are able to upgrade so we are left in this cycle of a 2 year console refresh when the "pro" or "elite" models come out with bumped up processor or graphics card specs to be able to handle things.

The days of a $400 console lasting 5-10 years are gone, and honestly, they've been gone for a few years now but we're just now coming to terms and realizing it.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

When the next hardware update is released, call them Pro 2 and Scorpio 2, games will stop supporting original Xbox One and PS4 (but still play on the Pro 1 and Scorpio 1). Whether or not you want to call that a next generation is up for debate.

That's the pattern I expect though. Every 3 or 4 years a new Playstation and Xbox console will come out that will play every game in the PS4 and Xbox One libraries, and at that time support for the version of the hardware 2 revisions back will be dropped. At any given time 2 versions of Xbox and Playstation will support all currently released games.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

When the Stone Cold Sony says so.

I've heard rumor that Scorpio is going to be called Xbox One X. XBOX, lines up with Jeff's wanting for it to be called Xbox, almost, anyway.

Fable 4, I hear, better be good... :/

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Zeik

@stonyman65: 10 years may be a pipe dream nowadays, but I don't see why 5 years minimum would have to be out of the question. Obviously consoles will not be keeping up the same pace as new technology at that rate, but they never have. That's why people buy and upgrade PCs, it's not the main driving force of the console market. The average console owner does not care if their console is a few years behind modern PCs, especially when so many games are designed specifically for, or within the limitations of, console specs.

I realize they're trying to bring some of that into the console market with these Pro consoles, but I'm quite certain the vast majority will not be buying every new iteration of the console, regardless of the bells and whistles they add to it. If it turns out we are in the age of iterative consoles every few years, I still expect the average lifespan of those iterations to be around 5+ years, even if it means skipping an iteration. Assuming they keep it simple and don't force consumers to maintain individual components like a PC.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By WynnDuffy

I don't really care to be honest, consoles are my second place to play games. What I want is for them to stop abandoning older games, we should have been using x86 on consoles a long time ago so that everything can be backwards compatible.

Look at the PC, you can generally play extremely old games as far back as DOS without too many hiccups along the way. There are occasions where games won't launch but I can't think of any games from let's say, 1999 that won't work with a small patch or tweak. This is without the original developers or Microsoft even trying to make them compatible, they are just compatible because of the architecture being consistent.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316 said:

Not sure, how many bits are we at these days?

Bits are obsolete man, they went straight to the next level of PR spinning. It's all about that peak compute bro, we talking straight TeraFlops bro, FLTOPS BRO!

Here is hoping next generations PR lines will be render output units.

toopopplio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PS5 or whatever it'll be called in 2019. Don't know about Xbox though.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

If the Wii-U is gen 8, is the Switch gen 9?

Avatar image for deactivated-5fe944c2b23b6
deactivated-5fe944c2b23b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like saying "2020" out loud.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#29  Edited By monkeyking1969
Okay, 48 bits....not sure how that works. Many bits.
benoski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I would probably say 2020, but thanks to the Pro and Scorpio, I think it'll go beyond that.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

Aren't the Ps4 pro and Scorpio a half step toward that already? (Nintendo aside) I'd say it's possible we've entered a new era, where console manufacturers will just provide upgraded models from now on. But if that's not the case I'd say around the early 2020's.

Mage_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hope this generation gets an extension. I never even considered buying a new console until this year.

Mage_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Mage_
Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I won't speculate on the exact timeline, but at this point it seems inevitable that the PlayStation and Xbox platforms will at one point merge with the PC. By that I mean Sony and Microsoft will have "PlayStation" and "Xbox" storefronts on PC that sells their games. The same games can be purchased on closed-box PCs that are marketed as the successors to the current consoles but with full backwards compatibility to this gen. To be fair, I see Sony dawdling to get to this endpoint given their dominant market position and Japan's lack of PC interest, but I'd bet good money that this is Microsoft's endgame.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Hunkulese

Hopefully never unless there's some massive technological breakthrough. This has been the most pointless generation and hasn't really added anything but more power. Half step upgrades every few years really works out best for everyone.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If the upgraded PS4 Pro isn't called the Pro Plus, coming with a couple of bloodshot LED eyes and a twitch, I'll be mightily disappointed.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:

I've had my GTX 780 for four years now and still don't intend to upgrade. I've played some of the newest games, from Rise of the Tomb Raider to Yooka-Laylee, near and at 60 fps. People upgrade often because they have high standards and see these graphics options that they can't use, but it's not necessary. I mean, on consoles you play with lower graphics and resolutions too, so I don't see why that should be so unpleasant to do on a PC.

Convenience and ease of use are some of the reasons I use a PC and haven't played on consoles in a few years.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Zeik

@ezekiel: I've had a lot of issues with PCs over the years that have kind of soured me on the platform for gaming. I really really hate troubleshooting on PCs and it's something I almost never have to worry about on consoles.