When will we see a WiiU Gamepad-like device for PC?

Hells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Hells

I was talking with a buddy of mine about how cool it will be to play WiiU games outside of the living room environment and I started thinking about cool it would be to have a portable wireless display/controller for the PC. Especially with the new shift of making PC games living room friendly, how long until the PC gets a similar device to the WiiU?

Just imagine if Steam had a Portable Picture mode where you could play your Bastion, Borderlands, Witcher 2, Walking Deads, etc where you could play these games anywhere in a 30-50ft radius in your home. Whoever designs/produces this could make a version that includes a Android/iOS/WindowsRT mode to allow for further portability outside the home.

Cost and technical limitations aside, we can't be too far away from seeing a device like this in the near future.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Sin4profit

Razer made one...it's called project Fiona. To be fare i don't think it has all the sensors that the Wiiu has though.

No Caption Provided
TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By TyCobb

Why would I want this? The Wii-U having that controller is the reason I am not getting one. I don't want to play games on a TV while also having to look at my lap to see another screen. I am okay if someone wants to make a game pad to stream the game to while it runs on the PC, but I hate the idea of integrating into it. To me it takes the immersion out of the game. When playing PC games, it is easy to get tunnel vision and fully immersed, but if you have to take your eyes away, it dies. But I could be the minority in this and for all I know this is a brilliant idea.

Hells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Hells

Yeah, Project Fiona is essentially a really beefy tablet with controllers attached to it. I am more interested in seeing a device that pulls audio and video wireless while all of the processing is done by a more capable desktop PC.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By me3639

Dont need it with multi screeen option.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#6  Edited By Giantstalker

I think one of the appealing parts of PC gaming is that there's a lot of freedom in terms of how you can control your game. There are a multitude of different mice and keyboards, but there are also a lot of neat specialized peripherals:

• Regular controllers
  • Joysticks/HOTAS
  • Driving wheels
  • Gamepads/Gameboards
  • TrackIR
  • This thing

My point being, how can you replicate the sheer versatility from the mouse, keyboard, and other stuff? Can you do it with just a screen? Sure, you can take it with you, but I think you'd be losing too much. This said, I certainly don't doubt it'll find its own place up there with the rest, but not as a portable replacement.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By YoThatLimp

Oh, you mean the steambox?

I hope we get there one day.

Hells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hells
@TyCobb I don't think it should be integrated into gameplay either. I would be more interested in pulling the game off the monitor and putting it in my hands so i could take it to my couch/bedroom and away from my desk.

I like the idea of a portable monitor/speakers/controls and getting away from the stationary gaming locations.

But Map and inventory management on a separate screen would be quite nice... If I could get a Google maps equivalent for something like Skyrim that shows quest markers and what not that would be a nice inclusion as well.
impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#9  Edited By impartialgecko

@me3639 said:

Dont need it with multi screeen option.

That looks like a horrible way to play a game.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#10  Edited By Sin4profit

So you want what's called a "Dumb Terminal" and/or a remote desktop controller like Splashtop.?

xMEGADETHxSLY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By xMEGADETHxSLY

ITS CALLED U DRAW AND YOU DIDNT BUY IT

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12  Edited By Hamst3r

Sounds to me like someone just needs to make a VNC client built for gaming. When speed isn't an issue, you can already load up one of the various VNC clients out there and get the audio and video of a game streaming to your tablet. There are also ways to use a gamepad controller with the various tablets out there. That said, the performance and quality is terrible. But, I'm pretty sure someone can solve that. OnLive worked pretty well. A LAN version of OnLive sounds workable to me...someone's just gotta do it.

As for an actual piece of new hardware that's like the WiiU - I don't think anything GOOD will happen there anytime soon.

Blastroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Blastroid

@TyCobb said:

Why would I want this? The Wii-U having that controller is the reason I am not getting one. I don't want to play games on a TV while also having to look at my lap to see another screen. I am okay if someone wants to make a game pad to stream the game to while it runs on the PC, but I hate the idea of integrating into it. To me it takes the immersion out of the game. When playing PC games, it is easy to get tunnel vision and fully immersed, but if you have to take your eyes away, it dies. But I could be the minority in this and for all I know this is a brilliant idea.

I agree with your for most games. There are exception where the 2nd screen IMO adds to the immersion. The Zombies U with the sniper rifle or scan mode where you move the controller around to me adds immersion. Ported games unless they have been Ued (We need a new word created) should not have the screen gimmicks though.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By Marz

don't know why you would want one for PC, but i guess Microsoft can easily do something with Smartglass on Windows 8 games for this functionality to use with your phones and tablets and whatnot.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3