When you're late ..

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By AhmadMetallic

So.. i got into serious gaming when i bought this beast of a machine in october 2007 (yes im a PC gamer i dont have or want a console and lets drop the crap, PC isnt that bad.. 80% of the greatest games have a PC version and thats enough for me)

Which means that i've only been gaming seriously for less than two years.
conclusion: i havent played some of the biggest names in the gaming industy, its too late for me to dig in the past years and start getting those games.im sure their affection and influence aint the same today and its too late , its just something you experience and enjoy at the time and then remember and talk about in the years after and it becomes an essential part of your gaming "soul".

So my question is, what do u do when u suddenly get overwhelmed by all the classic games you see mentioned everywhere by gamers which you didnt have the chance to play because you joined the club too late? i have the passion and the desire but its too late for me to know what Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy and such glorious franchises feel like..

It's kinda the same with me when it comes to music and movies.. i've only been open to great movies/great indie movies for a couple of years and its overwhelming.
same with music, i've only known what rock n roll and metal are for about 4 years, im a hardcore metal fan right now and i managed well when it came to music.

The reason im so late and overwhelmed is that where i live they dont care about the good stuff, just closed minded arabs satisfied with the shitty and repitative local crap..  so i had to know and learn everything i know now on my own, never was in an environment or an atmosphere that allowed me to run into these great games and never really had any friends' recommendations or someone introduce me to something great..

Ok ima stop yapping now and i just need an answer for my question: should i keep feeling down because i havent had the chance to be a part of some of the greatest and most glorious and epic and classic games which apparently are a big part of the personalities and gaming profiles of many of you, OR should i let go and ignore it and be happy with what ive played in the last two years (you can check my lists ive played alot of super games) and the games to come in the future?
artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By artofwar420

Yes you should find a new hobby... NOT.

Take Half Life, the first one, I've been playing games since I was 8, but though I started on the PC, I moved on to consoles, so I missed out on many great PC games, what got me back was Starcraft, but it wasn't 1998, it was 2002, and I just starting playing some matches with some friends, they always kicked my butt, but it was fun. So now the little bug of PC games bit me, in the same way it did to you. 

So not long after that I purchased Half Life Source and played it, sure it's not the same, but you just have to imagine you travelled back in time, and you'll get into it and appreciate it for what it is, an awesome game. I think the same applies for everything. We can't be "there" for everything and that's alright.
Bob_Toeback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Bob_Toeback
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
It's kinda the same with me when it comes to music and movies.. i've only been open to great movies/great indie movies for a couple of years and its overwhelming.
Ahh! same thing happened to me, I'm all into thse movies now, its awesome :D But yeah I'd just say pick up the things you missed, or just dont play them, but it wouldnt be that hard just to try them.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By natetodamax

You shouldn't feel bad. Are you upset because you're finding it impossible to get into these games?

If not, it's not too late. Half Life 2 came out years ago, but I only just got to play it last year and I liked it.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King

80% of them? Wait, did you count emulation in that percentage, because it seems kinda inflated. I'd get into PC gaming, but it's too much hassle for me.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Jimbo

I've been into gaming for as long as I can remember, but I still have those gaps in knowledge that you're talking about.  I never had a NES or SNES as a child so there are a ton of classic franchises that I can't get enthusiastic about.

I agree that going back and trying to fill in those gaps is a lost cause, so I guess just accept that you missed the boat on that stuff and move on.  It's probably not too late for the HL franchise if you wanted to get into that, even HL1 has aged pretty well and doesn't require nostalgia in order to enjoy it.  Final Fantasy games can all be enjoyed individually (no continuing story) so it's never too late to jump into that if you want to.

I wouldn't get too down about it, there are potentially great franchises starting up all the time.  I can see Assassin's Creed running and running for example.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By The_A_Drain

I can't say I know what it's like to be in that boat i'm afraid, I mean, I missed out on a huge number of sega titles, I never played a Genesis (Mega Drive) or Master System other than Alex The Kidd until I was like, 12, and by then my dad had a Playstation, so I ignored the sega stuff. So I never experienced things like Phantasy Star or things like that.

But everything past the playstation i've been there and done that, including PC games. Although I did miss out on classic text adventures which I just cannot play now, i'm cool with slow games but, holy shit. So I won't know what Zork and etc feels like.

Honestly though, I can still enjoy stuff on the early sega's and Atari consoles that I never played before, so you should still be able to give things a try, sure they might not have the same appeal as they did then, but they will be a lot lot cheaper too, unless they are rare and not as of yet on GoG like Planescape Torment, which i'm so glad to have an original boxed version of.

Unfortunately, there just doesn't seem to be the same amount of great stuff coming out on PC as there used to be, i've all but given up on it and switched primarily to consoles, but i'm sure it will pick up in a few years and i'll have an excuse to buy a nice PC.

I'd say give it a go anyway, I mean, most of the music and films I like are from before I was even born, and a lot of my favorite games I couldn't truly appreciate at the time because I was no more than 13 years old (Resident Evil, etc)

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@artofwar420 said:
" Yes you should find a new hobby... NOT.

Take Half Life, the first one, I've been playing games since I was 8, but though I started on the PC, I moved on to consoles, so I missed out on many great PC games, what got me back was Starcraft, but it wasn't 1998, it was 2002, and I just starting playing some matches with some friends, they always kicked my butt, but it was fun. So now the little bug of PC games bit me, in the same way it did to you. 

So not long after that I purchased Half Life Source and played it, sure it's not the same, but you just have to imagine you travelled back in time, and you'll get into it and appreciate it for what it is, an awesome game. I think the same applies for everything. We can't be "there" for everything and that's alright.
"
i know what u mean with the "we cant be there but we can pretend" part, i've done it with the first Halo, HL2 and Mafia

@natetodamax said:
" You shouldn't feel bad. Are you upset because you're finding it impossible to get into these games?If not, it's not too late. Half Life 2 came out years ago, but I only just got to play it last year and I liked it. "

I'm upset because everywhere in the forums i see those games mentioned and praised as classic and revolutionary and unforgetable and i never played them so i see two guys discussing the Silent Hill franchise with a third guy giving elements from another big  and old franchise that i never experienced playing  and im reading and like " ........... " 

@Video_Game_King said:
" 80% of them? Wait, did you count emulation in that percentage, because it seems kinda inflated. I'd get into PC gaming, but it's too much hassle for me. "
sorry i wasnt being precise just saying that the games which have a PC port are more than enough, not as much as they should be but very good.

@Jimbo said:
" I've been into gaming for as long as I can remember, but I still have those gaps in knowledge that you're talking about.  I never had a NES or SNES as a child so there are a ton of classic franchises that I can't get enthusiastic about.I agree that going back and trying to fill in those gaps is a lost cause, so I guess just accept that you missed the boat on that stuff and move on.  It's probably not too late for the HL franchise if you wanted to get into that, even HL1 has aged pretty well and doesn't require nostalgia in order to enjoy it.  Final Fantasy games can all be enjoyed individually (no continuing story) so it's never too late to jump into that if you want to.I wouldn't get too down about it, there are potentially great franchises starting up all the time.  I can see Assassin's Creed running and running for example. "
If you've checked my lists you'd see that im waiting for HL2Ep3 ;]
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By natetodamax
@Ahmad_Metallic: Oh, I see what you mean now. The only thing you can do so that you can participate in those discussions is to actually play the game, I guess. It also helps to go the the game's page on Giant Bomb or even the official wiki for it and read up on the stuff if you can't play it.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@natetodamax:  thats what im saying those games are big in number and  kinda old and etc... so i dont think i can and its just not healthy.
Kojacked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Kojacked

Mate your going to do your dam nut in if you keep thinking like that, just relax and enjoy it. Your speaking as if nothing amazing is ever going to come out again. Yeah there will be all the things to look back on now but in twenty or even less years people will be looking back at some of the games we play today. You dont think people will think back to Call of Duty 4 and go 'yeah I remember back in 2008 when I played that, I'd never seen a game as cinematic and engaging as that before (yes that's entirely personal opinion)

The most ironic thing about this is that I ENVY YOU, yourself being someone who can just pick up a game and go holy shit I have never ever seen anything like before. Theres always going to be things to look back on, just enjoy what you play and leave it like that. If you are one of people that can go back and play oldergames then by all means do so but do so because you want to, not because of some strange dissociateve feelings you have for some inexplicable reason.

Stop over thinking and play mate.

When you get overwhelmed by these classic titles, then dude your on giantbomb. Click the link to go the to the the games wiki page and I'm sure someone would have typed what impact that game had on games today. Sure its not the same thing as playing it but I can appreciate acknowledging a games influence even if I have not played it myself. It might be away to remove this superficial alienation.

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Alexander

I wouldn't go out of your way to find out about the games gone by unless you want to. Gaming is fun, not a lesson in history. It may be worth your while though if you find yourself enjoying a series and are interested to see how it started.

The main reason why people bang on about some titles is for the simple reason that they grew up playing them. I have the fondest memories of games like Smash T.V., Desert Strike, Jazz Jackrabbit and Doom II - but if games like that were released today I'd give them a miss as they'd probably be on a cell phone. That's not to say you shouldn't play them just don't feel like you have to.

G0rd0nFr33m4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 18

#13  Edited By G0rd0nFr33m4n

Most modern games take tips and tricks from older games and for the most part improve on them, keep looking forward, unless somthing in the past really catches your eye.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@G0rd0nFr33m4n said:
" Most modern games take tips and tricks from older games and for the most part improve on them, keep looking forward, unless somthing in the past really catches your eye. "
if The Freeman says so then i must obey.
heh thanks for your opinion and you're right :-)