• 94 results
#51 Posted by BleedingStarX (350 posts) -

I've got about 12 games I either havent even opened yet or I've played about 5 minutes of. All I seem to play lately is WWE 12

#52 Posted by DukesT3 (2102 posts) -

Once I sell the game I don't play, I want to play it again. ALWAYS HAPPENS! UGH.

Anyone else might have this problem?

#53 Posted by spartanlolz92 (520 posts) -

been in the same situation

i have never played much of deus ex its just sitting there -__- yet i dont have the urge to play it yet i can play bf3 for 5 hours straight

#54 Posted by Lord_Vetinari (20 posts) -

My problem is the other way, and I end up plowing through some games that I hate just to have them completed. It isn't even a achievement thing, I just hate leaving things unfinished. Black Ops, Halo ODST and Dante's Inferno instantly spring to mind.

There's always one exception that proves the rule, and for me that would be Dead Space 2. A new job took up all my free time and I drifted away from it.

I'll get ME3 finished first, though. Then Resistance. Then Deus Ex. Then Colossus...

#55 Posted by senorfuzzeh (424 posts) -

I generally have a desire to play them, I just get to the point where I have to many to play, and No idea which one to play. but I want to play all of them! So I sit there trying to decide what to play until I just say fuck it and go out side.

Then I later come back still unable to decide so I just end up wasting my time playing multiplayer games with my friends.

#56 Posted by Wasara88 (338 posts) -

I know the feeling. I usually go play something cheap and accessible, like orcs must die, defence grid, super meat boy or something else in those lines.

It's also a good indicator that you have played games a lot recently and maybe, just maybe you should do something else for a change.

I'm trying to force myself to stop buying games from steam just because they'r in the front page with a discount percentage slapped on. Yes Hitman collection i'm looking at you.

#57 Posted by markini6 (552 posts) -

Do people think that perhaps too many games are being released nowadays? The number of games released has increased exponentially over the years, and I was just wondering if people were getting burnt out simply because there is too much to play, so we end up feeling this responsibility to finish every game to make room for the next wave of releases? Or perhaps it's because, apart from the indie scene, there's a lack of 'freshness' in most commercially-oriented games?

Just some musin', bitches.

#58 Posted by rawrsair (836 posts) -

I have a few games that I have started but never finished but know that I didn't enjoy them enough to stick with them. That doesn't bother me

But it is sorta' depressing when that list gets really long over time.

I'm attemtping to play New Vegas again after a break of about a year. We'll see how that goes.

#59 Posted by nail1080 (2025 posts) -

Alot of people in this thread sound spoiled. Be thankful you have the time to play all these great games. Sit back, relax and enjoy them, because one day you will not be able and you will be itching to jump back in and play them

#60 Posted by Phyrlord (193 posts) -

@Branthog said:

I will never catch up to my games.

First, I should mention that I played games a few times as a kid, but I didn't really have a chance to get into gaming as an adult and not as a regular thing until I was about 23 or 24 (in 2001). And until about five years ago, I never really played console games at all. So there is a ton of stuff I'm missing out on from the whole history of gaming and even more recently in the history of console gaming.

Second, I've tried to compensate for that by treating myself to things. For example, I now own at least one of just about every console out there and a handful of games for them (except the Atari games which is way more than a handful of them).

Third, my gaming eyes are bigger than my gaming stomach.

So:

• I have 989 games on Steam, currently. I have probably played 10% of them and finished less than 5% of them.
  • I have 209 games on GOG.com and have probably played less than 10% of them and finished probably nowhere near even 5% of them.
  • I have about 500 games on all of the current consoles and have probably finished 10% of them at the most.
  • I have about 500-800 games on older consoles (Dreamcast, 3D0, Odyssey, NES, SNES, N64, Jaguar, Nomad, Lynx, GameGear, GameBoy, GBA, Atari 2600/5200/7800, Sega Master System, Sega Genesis, Game Cube, PS1, PS2, etc). I have played maybe 5% of them. I have finished maybe . . . 1% of them.

A handful of games I currently have started but not quite finished (just haven't felt super excited about doing so) is ME3 (right at the very end), Assassin's Creed IV, SSX, Arkham City, Skyrim and probably some more that I've started in the last few months and have just forgotten that I've even got waiting on deck for completion.

In the last couple years, I've made gaming a regular part of my relaxation. I tend to be a workaholic both professionally and on my own projects. No time for reading, gaming. Nothing. Just work/projects. But as I age, I realize decompression is vital. So, gaming fills part of that. But even then, I'll never catch up and I'll probably always buy more than I'll ever finish or even actually play. And that's okay. I guess I can be a little bit of a collector, to a degree. Nothing really wrong with that. The only thing that really worries me is the potential to play games that I will lose over time as support for some games falls by the wayside (both for PC games and by consoles and operating systems no longer working/supporting older stuff).

Achievement Unlocked: We're Going to Need a Bigger Boat. (You know require a warehouse to store your game collection). +7500 GP.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
#61 Edited by MordeaniisChaos (5904 posts) -

Man, you just sound like you don't like video games at all. Maybe take a break from em and come back when you feel the need, for speed.

Also, if there are upcoming games that you are psyched for (I just read the Halo 4 Game Informer stuff and got really excited for that, and I read a good article over at RPS about Assassin's Creed 3 and got really surprisingly excited over that as well), research those, read up on em and get pumped for em while you take some time away. That helps me if I'm feeling a bit unmotivated.

#62 Posted by S0ndor (2718 posts) -

Games are supposed to be for fun, if you find that you have to force yourself to finish something, just stop. I uninstalled Reckoning halfway through, because it turned into a soul-crushing grind.

Besides, it's not like we're reviewers. For us, there's no such thing as "have to finish".

#63 Posted by Jerr (536 posts) -

I'm having the same issue, except I'm also having a horrible epiphany. When I sit down and play a game, I instantly feel I could be doing something more thought-provoking like reading a book or watching a great piece of film. Games just don't excite me really anymore. Am I becoming a pretentious dick?

Avatar image for captain_clayman
#64 Posted by captain_clayman (3349 posts) -

@Eujin said:

ULTRA SERIOUS NOTE:

Sudden disinterest in entertainment avenues you previously had interest in, including specific items you had interest in (Movies you like watching a lot but have no desire to see anymore, games you thoroughly enjoyed playing, and haven't finished, that you don't want to play anymore, etc) can be a sign of serious depression.

Note the CAN BE. I'm just stating this because I don't want to hear a story about anything disheartening happening to my fellow GB users, as I love this community, usually. So if you find this is getting more frequent or expanding to other things as well, speak with a doctor.

Less Serious note:

My "pile of games I need to go back too" is currently nearing 100 games, going back to the PSone. I try to go back when I can, but then a new game comes out and pushes the pile even further down the list.

175 for me. oh god what have i done.

#65 Posted by Galiant (2237 posts) -

I kinda have the same problem. Right now I'm going through Mass Effect 2 so that I can import my character into Mass Effect 3 (the default choices/character replacements in ME3 are kinda crap) - but I've played through ME2 so many times that I'm kinda just going through the motions.

Oh well.

#66 Edited by tourgen (4568 posts) -

it's not supposed to be hard work. just play what you want to. maybe buy less games. try to figure out if you are buying a game because you are caught up in the artificial excitement of a marketing campaign or because you really want to play it as soon as you can get it.

EDIT: example, I bought Dead Space 2 mostly because of the hype and because the first one was alright. Never finished it. but Mass Effect 3 - man I played that game non-stop as soon as it installed. I knew before I bought both of these games what I would do. In the case of dead space 2 though I wasn't all that honest with myself about why I was buying it.

#67 Posted by Duder_Me (321 posts) -

And I thought my situation was bad. I bought a bunch of newly released games on Black Friday 2011, and unfortunately I haven't been able to play any of them at all except Battlefield 3, which was the one I wanted to play the most. The games are

• Batman Arkham Asylum/Arkham City Walmart bundle for only $30 (I know right?!?!)
  • Driver: San Francisco $30 (Mainly for the awesome cars in the game)
  • Uncharted 2 GOTY for $20 (Everyone loves Uncharted, so I decided to get it)
#68 Posted by memo (425 posts) -

This happens to me too. Wow there are people other like me. At least good to know that I am not the only one.

#69 Posted by Casey25 (154 posts) -

dude wtf. I have time and the DESIRE to play games but i have no money. GIVE ME ALL YOUR GAMES. ALL OF THEM!

#70 Posted by benspyda (2129 posts) -

My steam is an abomination that I gave up on. My console stack of unfinished games is more manageable but still unlikely I'll get through it. Although most games left unbeaten I either got bored of and/or are bargain bin games (aka Bioshock 2, X:men Origins Wolverine, Too Human, Rage, Timeshift).

#71 Posted by benspyda (2129 posts) -

@S0ndor said:

Games are supposed to be for fun, if you find that you have to force yourself to finish something, just stop. I uninstalled Reckoning halfway through, because it turned into a soul-crushing grind.

Besides, it's not like we're reviewers. For us, there's no such thing as "have to finish".

I mostly agree with this.

Except I'm still trying to finish Reckoning, I'm just playing it every now and again and only doing main story stuff so it doesn't become a grind. But yes if your not enjoying a game why bother.

#72 Posted by lsummers (15 posts) -

My girlfriend got me La Noir for my birthday last June, I played it for maybe 6 hours then didn't pick it up until last weekend, now I'm really into it. I get into the hype of games a lot, and catch myself playing something because it's popular and alot of other are too. But it is nice to be able to talk about current releases and the newest thing out there.

#73 Posted by TobbRobb (6543 posts) -

Same problem here. Doing a quick psychonalysis of myself, I'd say it's constant need of company.

I can't finishe all my singleplayer games, because I always feel like I could be social in some capacity instead, so the only SP game I finish are either really short or easy to play while in skype with someone.

That's why I have serious issues finishing atmospheric games, which also happens to be my favorite genre...

#74 Posted by Lysergica33 (601 posts) -

This is what comes of being so spoilt for choice with games. You end up with a backlog with none of them looking particularly enticing to play. This is pretty much why I rarely buy games. Although I have been getting pretty into buying shorter indie titles of the PSN store. Nice to be able to sit down and start playing, emerging 3-6 hours later having finished the story. As I've gotten older, I've found myself desiring brevity and quality and artistic merit for a single runthrough over replayability. Only game I frequently come back to is Dark Souls. I decided last year that I'm done with multiplayer shooters and games with nothing to say, and that's really helped thin the herd of games vying for my attention.

#75 Posted by HatKing (7442 posts) -

My solution to the problem always ends up being, "buy more games." This ends in an ugly cycle of me buying games, not finishing all of them, buying more games to satiate the boredom, not finishing all of them, feeling guilty for not playing them, buying more games to make myself feel better, and so on.

#76 Posted by Nakiro (88 posts) -

I've tried to get back into Red Dead to wrap up some DLC and trophies, but I just can't do it. So I go back to getting more golden skulls on Castle Crashers while watching videos on GB.

#77 Posted by Grimace (392 posts) -

This only really happens to me early in the year. With the exception of stuff I really want to play (Mass Effect 3, The Darkness 2) I find myself playing very few games.

It's probably because from September to December I go crazy with games like everyone else.

#78 Edited by DarthOrange (4212 posts) -

I'm right there with you. I barely started Bioshock, have yet to put in Alan Wake, Assassins Creed 2, and BioShock 2. I also got a free copy of Lego Star Wars 3 with the hard drive I bought which I have yet to try. I also signed up for Xbox live for the first time a few weeks ago with this promotion and will soon have digital copies of Halo Reach, Fable 3, Kinect Sports, Toy Soldiers, and Gunstringer. On top of all that I'm thinking of getting Fallout New Vegas because I don't feel like playing those games. And that's just on my 360.

My PS3 is full of shit I will probably never play thanks to PS+ including Sam and Max, Back to the Future, Sly Cooper, Far Cry 2 and a ton of other games (I download everything that is free off PS+ every week, even though I know damn well I won't play it and have been subscribed since the start).

What games am I playing at the moment? Super Scribblenauts, Skylanders, and Gran Turismo 5. As others that have posted before me, I play for fun and play what is entertaining because at the end of the day that is all that really matters.

#79 Posted by TechHits (1483 posts) -

first world problems baby.

#80 Posted by FiestaUnicorn (1680 posts) -

talk to girls?

#81 Posted by Branthog (5777 posts) -

@FiestaUnicorn said:

talk to girls?

You know constantly waking over females gets kind of old after the age of maybe 21, right? I mean, it's not like you lose interest in women, but trust me when I say that the next sixty years of your life will not be constantly spent being obsessed with them. In fact, you're going to find a great deal of the time that you'd rather just be left alone so you can do your own stuff and not be hassled (or, at the least, not be constantly trying to compete for or please them).

There are times to do that, too . . . but . . . a man's gotta have a career and hobbies and buddies and other things to do or he'll go fucking insane. :)

#82 Posted by Branthog (5777 posts) -

@Phyrlord said:

@Branthog said:

I will never catch up to my games.

First, I should mention that I played games a few times as a kid, but I didn't really have a chance to get into gaming as an adult and not as a regular thing until I was about 23 or 24 (in 2001). And until about five years ago, I never really played console games at all. So there is a ton of stuff I'm missing out on from the whole history of gaming and even more recently in the history of console gaming.

Second, I've tried to compensate for that by treating myself to things. For example, I now own at least one of just about every console out there and a handful of games for them (except the Atari games which is way more than a handful of them).

Third, my gaming eyes are bigger than my gaming stomach.

So:

• I have 989 games on Steam, currently. I have probably played 10% of them and finished less than 5% of them.
  • I have 209 games on GOG.com and have probably played less than 10% of them and finished probably nowhere near even 5% of them.
  • I have about 500 games on all of the current consoles and have probably finished 10% of them at the most.
  • I have about 500-800 games on older consoles (Dreamcast, 3D0, Odyssey, NES, SNES, N64, Jaguar, Nomad, Lynx, GameGear, GameBoy, GBA, Atari 2600/5200/7800, Sega Master System, Sega Genesis, Game Cube, PS1, PS2, etc). I have played maybe 5% of them. I have finished maybe . . . 1% of them.

A handful of games I currently have started but not quite finished (just haven't felt super excited about doing so) is ME3 (right at the very end), Assassin's Creed IV, SSX, Arkham City, Skyrim and probably some more that I've started in the last few months and have just forgotten that I've even got waiting on deck for completion.

In the last couple years, I've made gaming a regular part of my relaxation. I tend to be a workaholic both professionally and on my own projects. No time for reading, gaming. Nothing. Just work/projects. But as I age, I realize decompression is vital. So, gaming fills part of that. But even then, I'll never catch up and I'll probably always buy more than I'll ever finish or even actually play. And that's okay. I guess I can be a little bit of a collector, to a degree. Nothing really wrong with that. The only thing that really worries me is the potential to play games that I will lose over time as support for some games falls by the wayside (both for PC games and by consoles and operating systems no longer working/supporting older stuff).

Achievement Unlocked: We're Going to Need a Bigger Boat. (You know require a warehouse to store your game collection). +7500 GP.

Actually, it all fits in a surprisingly small space. I currently have everything organized into large 54gal plastic tubs. Even most of the older consoles fit in there. Someday, I'd like to set them up so everything is instantly playable on multiple screens and terminals around the game room and home theater and my home office, but frankly . . . that will take up too much space.

And . . . I would rather use that space to put stand-up arcade machines in. Heh.

#83 Posted by Daveyo520 (7766 posts) -

I know that feeling all too well.

Avatar image for vitorfernandes83
#84 Posted by vitorfernandes83 (3 posts) -

Hello everyone, I too had this problem, I've had xbox 360 since launch and then later the ps3 also. I loved many games as the Uncharted series and Metal Gear, etc. But there are just too many games, it feels like a chore to have to finish a game quickly to have time to play the next one. I have other hobbies too, I am learning the guitar, chess club and love cinema, etc. Part time jobs on top of my full time job.

My solution, sold my consoles and all games, it hurts but better this way, and bought a wiiU.

Conclusion, my passion for gaming has been reignited, bought 4 games since last year, sold 2 that I wont go back to, and will keep zombiU and mario as those are type of games that I can go back to replay even years from now.

Now there's only 3 games that I am sure will buy this year. In the end, I get more free time for my guitar and my movies, and I get to play the games for fun, at my pace with no rush, just like I did back in the 90's. And most of all, I am having fun for the first time in a long time with videogames.

Nowadays games are turning into huge stories, long cutscenes and too realistic/more boring (assassins creed/far cry 3, max payne 3, heavy rain, etc). I was playing those and finished but with regret as I never really had much fun. I remembered fondly the times with Mario 64, Goldeneye, Time Splitters 2, Ico, Sega rally, Jet set radio, skies of arcadia, crimson skies, etc, and I remembered the fun those were, no need for a big story or realistic graphics, just fun. Now I cant wait for Wonderfull 101 and pikmin 3, you know, fun games. Even I, as a gran turismo fan, wont mind swapping that for a mario kart, you know, more fun for me.

Above all, I got sick of shooters and cant stand them anymore now, even I cant feel hyped for bioshock infinite, I know it's going to be just another serious shooter. What about GTAV, I was waiting for that for years and now I might get Lego city instead as it seems more fun, plus I can play with my 4 year old nephew. I might get Nintendoland for when my friends come over, that seems a lot of FUN.

This was my solution, and one day if I feel like playing more games then I could get a ps3 on the cheap but I know I wont have time.

Avatar image for godlyawesomeguy
#85 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6135 posts) -

@coafi said:

I go through the same thing at least once a month, I have games I haven't finished but I have no desire to play them. What do I do? Nothing.

It's something that comes and goes, so I know I'll play again, but only when it seems interesting again. Am I getting old?

I just turned eighteen and I feel the exact same way as you do as I periodically lose interest in gaming as well, especially when there are other things going on in my life that are of particular importance. So, unless you're younger than I am, no, you're not old.

#86 Posted by Azteck (7415 posts) -

Right now I just kind of don't remember what games I own and want to play.

#87 Posted by Ben_H (4168 posts) -

@ben_h said:

I imagine many Steam users (myself included), experience this all the time. I have 120 games on Steam, and have only played around 50 of them, and when I actually get free time (which is almost never), I look at them all, go "meh" and then just play more Burnout Paradise, SC2, Forza on my Xbox or some random game on my iPad.

Now up to 255, same deal. Except now it is like 60 played instead of 50.

#88 Posted by MikeydCT (752 posts) -

I look at my stack of unfinished games and wonder why I bought some of them. Bubsy 3D, Drake of the 99 dragons, Final Fantasy X-2. What slows me down from beating games is cheevo whoring. Last year I wanted to beat a bunch of RPG's and ended up cheevo whoring Gears of War 3 (which I'm still not finished).

#89 Posted by GERALTITUDE (5981 posts) -

I am also in this club.

Avatar image for vitorfernandes83
#90 Edited by vitorfernandes83 (3 posts) -

@ben_h: ''Now up to 255, same deal. Except now it is like 60 played instead of 50''

You guys have to stop treating gaming as a chore/task, and start play them for fun and just to enjoy. I advise on getting less games, you could rent or a friend could lend you games or you could try demos, and then buy only the absolute best ones.

Stop counting how many games you NEED to play or how many you have, better to ditch all but the absolute best ones. You'll live a happier gaming life.

As of now, my entire gaming collection is about 6 games and there's only 3 games this year that I really am sure to buy, the rest I will just try.

I too used to have hundreds of games, now my life is better. I am already on my second book this month, also I have been going out more and started to watch TV series. Balance your hobbies and you'll never get bored.

Also, another advise, buy games on disc, so you can always sell it and get money back when you're sure you''re done with it.

Through all of this advises I managed to save money by not buying far cry 3, assassins creed 3 and other big disappointments, a friend lent me 'Dead Island' a few days ago, and in 15min I already took it back, glad I didnt waste money on it, same a while back for resident evil 6.

#91 Posted by Kuskah (10 posts) -

Kind of glad I'm not the only one who goes through this. Some of the posts here have been really helpful, kind of opening my eyes to the fact that having unfinished games on Steam is far from extraordinary and that gaming should be fun.

The problem with me is that I'm a perfectionist by nature, I want to have all the achievements and everything to be neatly at 100% before I uninstall a game without feeling bad about "wasting my money". The way I went about this problem for the most time was keeping the unfinished pile out of sight. That would mean keeping only 1-3 game icons on Desktop, since most of my games I own digitally.

Then there's also this "magical attention span" of mine, which on one hand makes me complete one game within 24 hours from it's purchase (provided it's doable, of course) and then there are other games just sitting there, installed, for months, despite the fact that it takes ~12 hours to complete them.

Now I am, finally and thankfully, like "Screw this, it's not like anyone's gonna view my Steam library and judge me based on my game times & achievements", so I keep only the games I actively play installed and when I feel like playing something else, I re-download it from Steam and play it until something else catches my attention.

Just to save me some trouble, I have also decided to only select a couple of games I might be interested in, keep them on my Wishlist and ignore all the other Steam offers.

#92 Posted by FrankieSpankie (228 posts) -

I had this issue last summer and I didn't have the motivation to play any games. I would try but it just wouldn't keep me interested. I would lie on the couch watching movies and just felt like it was a waste of time and lazy. Granted, gaming doesn't take much energy but at least it can really get my blood pumping!

Two things I did to help me get back into the swing of things:

-Got a motorcycle license and a motorcycle -- Maybe not for you, but try something different that you never tried before other than gaming. You're probably burnt out on gaming in general. I spent a lot of time riding when I first got my motorcycle because it's fun and different. Maybe you just need to do something else to make you kind of forget about gaming, then when you play again, you'll remember how much you enjoyed it and get sucked back in.

-Play something you otherwise wouldn't have played. I don't really play many RPGs but during the summer sale on Steam, I bought The Witcher for $2.49. Figured I only heard great things about it and that I should give it a try. I fell in love with it, and granted it took me about a month to beat, it was really the only game I was playing at the time. Normally, I just looked the other way when The Witcher was on sale thinking, "I'm just not into RPGs that much." But man was I mistaken. Now The Witcher series is one of my favorites of all time.

#93 Posted by Azteck (7415 posts) -

Don't force it, read a book, go out for walks, just put games off your mind for a while. It's normal.

#94 Posted by dropabombonit (1543 posts) -

Had this exact feeling yesterday. Finished a game and was like what should I play next and have like 10 games I got free with Plus sitting on my hard drive. But I didn't want to commit to yet so didn't play anything new. I was paralyzed by choice and then decided to just watch a film on Netflix