Whenever I see someone diss videogames, I show them this...

• 93 results
Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jay444111

You know the type, the ones that will pretty much diss videogames for anything they even try to do. whether it be story or acting to just acting like a jerk to a great medium doing great things, I think we have seen them online. but here is one of the many vids I show them to prove them wrong. This one is from the game onimusha 3, and honestly, is amazing in what it does, I think it is one of the few creative ideas out there that actually have actors pretty much speak in every imaginable language possible in one work. Included inside is JEAN RENO!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8L34rvLOxY

this next one I will show you a before and after of.

before the making of video of onimusha 3's intro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX6G8wWzE-E&feature=related  

After all that work, arguably one of the best intro movies of all time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNNqHxiEuTQ  

0_0, If that isn't amazing, I do not know what is, espically considering, even though most of that was new at the time, that it has become HARDER to do those things with the graphics we have today. Also considering the fact that it probably took about every single worker there 296 (two weeks) hours EACH just do texture all that, imagine newer videogames like God of War 3 today. or hell, the first game itself is amazing, look. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_tWNiDwNt4  

I use these to help prove, once and for all, what these guys do is serious and should be taken seriously, saying otherwise is basically a slap in the face of every single devoloper out there. Just look at a couple of these vids.

Hell, this next video is a making of, of a work of damn art that should be respected. Shadow of the colossus. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSrMKC-3MX4    

Or even Hideo Kojima's works. (to be quite honest, I do not care if I get trolled for this, but hideo makes better stories then anything hollywood can do anymore, the guy is like... Stephen King of videogames in my honest opinion, he knows what the hell he is doing if this next video is of any value, somewhat more because stephen king isn't that great at endings while Kojima definitly does know what an ending should be like, but I can go hours into said subject, and will not bore anyone, except with another video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiXFr0hMbYM  )

Just the above videos alone should tell you that videogames are serious business nowadays, and honestly, should be taken seriously just for the fact that it is now making more money, and more views then the movie industry nowadays. Also for the fact that the writing, in my opinion, is honestly better then anything hollywood has tried in a very long time, or, well even thought about risking. (smurf movie is coming out... with rapping smurfs... in new york... yeah, my rage for the movie industry has reached it's limits due to said stupidity of what I just said that I will never try to repeat those freaking words again.)

Also consider how hard it is to make a videogame compared to a movie. A movie just has to have a writer and director and actors to get things rolling. while videogames need, programmers, mo-cap dudes/dudettes and voice overs, along with disign makers for the gameplay and story, script writers. AI writers texture makers and so on, it takes about 10 to 20 people to make a indy movie while many arcade and indie titles are either from 1 to 40 (alan wake was made by 40 people actually, just a fun fact.) Also the fact that time and polishing a videogame is SO DAMN LONG like in alan wakes case of 5 years, a movie can take just one or two months to make. just showing you the sheer determination of those 40 dudes.

To be quite honest, videogame and their makers deserve WAY more respect then they have been given. Thankfully, with the smithsionan finally recignizing videogames as an art form. And the grammy's for giving civilization a grammy (although, personally, why the hell didn't they see other games like the FF series music or even stuff like Still Alive is bullcrap worthy imo.) while the Trebica movie festival is giving a spotlight for L.A noire! The time for being a videogamer is an amazing one. We just need to get people to see the hard and amazing work that these devs do constantly. then maybe their would hopefully be way less annoying Roger Eberts in the world. (I will go no further into that topic.)

Thank you very much if you read through and watched all those videos. Please give your insight on how people should view videogames nowadays.

PS: Why the hell don't more videogames start making making of videogames come with the games like the God of war series or valves series do? I honestly love seeing these and watching how they did all the stuff to make their games. More devs should do that. anyone agree with me on this at least?

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I used to like videogames but now I don't thanks to you

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Spoonman671

Who cares if somebody doesn't respect video games?  I play video games, I enjoy them.  I don't need anybody else to like/understand/respect them.

blueaniman93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By blueaniman93

what i show them is my shotgun

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

Some well made cutscenes are not the best way to showcase video games. Being a interactive medium and all.
Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

I just show them my penis.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By crusader8463

I just show them two of these and walk away.

No Caption Provided
Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Also trying proving that video games are serious business by showing them how they made the movies for them doesn't help your point at all.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By august

VIDEO GAMES

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

Its just something you have to deal with. My grandma, who is normally very kind and sweet, calls video games stupid junk and a waste of time. Now if I wanted I could go into a crazy retaliation about how Fox News, which she watches almost religiously, is also stupid junk and a waste of time. Doing so would be pointless because you can't change somebody's mind when they are hardwired into that way of thinking. Its better to just ignore that person's opinion and take comfort in the fact that they are missing out on all the kick-ass things video games can offer.

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By LiquidSwords

You must be 15. If you're over 20, so sad

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jay444111

@Mr_Skeleton:

Not really, considering there are hundreds of ways to tell a story in a videogame, much more so then the movie industry can do. Let's put this into three catagories.

The Linear story, Like Enslaved. Which can still tell a great story through it's own gameplay and story. But set out to tell a story they wanted to craft. and it shows.

The second, is the linear interactive story which come also in two classes, the linear and the interactive, which one takes more of a roll in each game that has it?

MGS series takes the linear in the linear interactive storytelling method, a linear story which you can discover much more about with other charactors or through the surroundings as you go through the game and interacting with them. L.A. Noire is going to be similiar to MGS in this fashion.

While mass effect is more of the interactive side of the lines. Showing on how things can change throughout each time you play through it. but still have a singluar story for it for you to go through.

And the third is the interactive story, much like dragon age 1 and 2 and Fallout new vegas have. true interaction through each different time you play through them. whether it is dailouge choices or choices altogether, they each matter in the grand scheme of things, hell, in fallout new vegas's DLC dead money which I will not spoil. (for the fact that I am insanely confused how to use the spoiler marks on this site.)

But I gotta say, as a personal note, I LOVE the story of Dragon age 2, much better then the clichedness of the first one.

But these are the three main ways to tell a story in a videogame. all of which can be done in many ways themselves. whether that be Mass effect or MGS, each highly different in terms of story and storytelling, but still relitives. whether long lost, and not seen in a while, they still are related.

easthill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By easthill

Every time I see someone praise Hideo Kojimas storytelling capabilities, I shiver.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Hunkulese
@Jay444111: I don't know why I bothered reading your entire post but I did. What exactly are you trying to prove to people with those videos? That it takes a lot of work to make a videogame? Just putting a lot of work into something doesn't make it good. None of your arguments hold water. If someone believes videogames don't have any value and you show them that people work hard on videogames, they will just tell you that those people were wasting their time.
Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Dallas_Raines
@easthill: 

I praise his masterful trolling ability.
Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Agent47
@Jay444111: LA Noire I think might really break the mold.It has already been entered as a Official selection for the Tribeca Film Festival.Which is the first for any game in history so hey who knows what might happen.
oysteinBrenne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By oysteinBrenne

VIDIEO GAMEZ

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By KarlPilkington

wat

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jay444111

@Hunkulese:

uhhh... what? Putting hard work into something does not make it good? That makes literally ZERO sense. So, Watchmen the graphic novel is not good because someone worked hard on it? Ray Bradbury's books aren't good because he works hard? the guys who made inception are not good because they worked hard for everything in that movie? And Ken Levine is not good at what he does for bioshock because he works hard?

That makes literally zero sense! see what I mean when I say this? If  videogame takes 5 years of harder then hell work to create, why the hell shouldn't they be respected for once! I mean, it is just bullcrap in terms of logic. If someone came up to you after you singlehandedly built the empire state building and said you aren't good at what you do. I honestly think that is one of the most disrespectful things a human being can do. and videogame creators are CONSTANTLY told they are inferior and should be trashed by everyone except their fans. Why the hell would anyone limit the creative freedoms the videogames have had? It is morally wrong and unjust on so many levels. In my opinion anyway.

Badhands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By Badhands

I just show them Big Rigs, then they understand why video games are so good.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#21  Edited By JasonR86
@Jay444111:

Why do you feel you need to convince them that you feel their opinion is wrong?
Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jay444111

@oysteinBrenne:

Gotta admit, Adam Sesslar is a very good ally for videogaming, he tore Jack Thompson apart in that. That man is literally insane. I think personally... does he even do anything now that he got disbarred?

Edit: wait, the hell? did you change it just because you know that Jack Thompson was insane, but instead chose to show an insane kid killing the other? You do realize stuff like this happens ALL THE TIME right? Hell, I remember a guy actually thought he was in the matrix and jumped off a building.(not joking.) so are movies at fault to? or was the guy just insane? yeah the latter just is better for the fact that it happens all the time.

easthill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By easthill
@Jay444111: People worked hard on Troll 2 - doesn't make it good.
Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jay444111

@JasonR86:

Because when people put their heart and soul into a creation, only to be called **** constantly is literally heartbreaking and it shouldn't be tolerated anymore when they create masterpieces like bioshock and half life 2 to legend of zelda ocarina of time. it is sheer ignorance it happens nowadays. espically considering videogames are much more popular then movies anymore, to the point where movies will actually pull their own movies back for a videogames release date.

That alone shows videogames have become a much bigger medium then the movie industry has in all honesty, and it deserves respect right here right now. I think it is time to stop with the crap and start demanding respect instead of being talked down and called stupid constantly by people who haven't even played a casual game like Jack Thompson.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jay444111

@easthill:

It was half assed, everyone knew that one. But still does that make Watchmen/Farenheit 451/Inception/bioshock bad for being worked hard on?

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheHumanDove

The proof is in the pudding guyz

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By Brendan
@TheHumanDove said:
" The proof is in the pudding guyz "
What flavour is the pudding?
easthill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By easthill
@Jay444111 said:
"

@easthill:

It was half assed, everyone knew that one. But still does that make Watchmen/Farenheit 451/Inception/bioshock bad for being worked hard on?

"
No, but it doesn't make it good for being worked hard on either. What makes it good is the talented people behind it, and I see no one giving "shits" to Ken Levine, Chris Nolan or Alan Moore either - more like universal praise.

I can put 3 years of my life into something and it could still turn out shit, no?
FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By FCKSNAP

Whenever someone talks about people dissing video games I show them this

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30  Edited By DystopiaX
@Jay444111 said:
"

@Hunkulese:

uhhh... what? Putting hard work into something does not make it good? That makes literally ZERO sense. So, Watchmen the graphic novel is not good because someone worked hard on it? Ray Bradbury's books aren't good because he works hard? the guys who made inception are not good because they worked hard for everything in that movie? And Ken Levine is not good at what he does for bioshock because he works hard?

That makes literally zero sense! see what I mean when I say this? If  videogame takes 5 years of harder then hell work to create, why the hell shouldn't they be respected for once! I mean, it is just bullcrap in terms of logic. If someone came up to you after you singlehandedly built the empire state building and said you aren't good at what you do. I honestly think that is one of the most disrespectful things a human being can do. and videogame creators are CONSTANTLY told they are inferior and should be trashed by everyone except their fans. Why the hell would anyone limit the creative freedoms the videogames have had? It is morally wrong and unjust on so many levels. In my opinion anyway.

"
He meant that just because people work hard, that doesn't necessarily make it good. I guarantee you that there are tons of things out there that people worked hard on that are shit.
Also, you seem to really underestimate what it takes to make a movie "writer and directors and actors to get it rolling"? You could replace the same thing with "producer and engineers and artists to get the ball rolling" and it would make equal sense. It is just as hard to make a decent movie as it does to make a videogame.

Also, you'll get a hater for pretty much everything you do. It doesn't bother me that people don't like videogames, just as I'm sure it doesn't bother hollywood people that you don't like their movies.
donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By donchipotle

Any time someone praises Hideo Kojima for writing, I know to never take anything they say seriously. The fact that you compare the guy to Stephen King of all people says to me that you are not all that familiar with literature. Though I guess a comparison could be made, if you focus on the fact that both of them wrote terrible, terrible endings to an established and beloved franchise.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DystopiaX
@VelvetLore04 said:
" Any time someone praises Hideo Kojima for writing, I know to never take anything they say seriously. The fact that you compare the guy to Stephen King of all people says to me that you are not all that familiar with literature. Though I guess a comparison could be made, if you focus on the fact that both of them wrote terrible, terrible endings to an established and beloved franchise. "
This. MGS makes no fucking sense at all, and I've played through almost the whole series. I did learn how to cook eggs though, so that's something....
DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By DrPockets000
@Jay444111: I'm pretty sure you just constructed the blindest, most narrow-minded explanation of filmmaking I have ever seen.
wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By wickedsc3

Who cares if someone don't like video games, maybe its just not for them.  Just like I don't like dancing.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35  Edited By MysteriousBob

I show them this:

No Caption Provided

They then instantly come around.
JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By JazGalaxy

I'm a lifelong gamer and I've spent 10s of thousands of dollars on the hobby, but the older the industry gets, the LESS respect I feel it deserves.

Like King's Quest creator Roberta Williams said, modern games are more about exploiting the vices of mental adolecents than it is about any sort of "higher art".

The most frustrating thing, as a fan of games and a graphic designer, is to sit back and listen to all the squabling about "games as art" voiced by people who have no knowledge of art outside of playing videogames and going to movies.

Everytime I hear somebody say Zelda has a "great story" I weep a little for our collective civilization. Everytime I hear some kid talk about pushing the boundries of the industry when he seems to have no knowledge of the decades of PC games that pushed those boundries and MORE before he was even born, I just want to quit listening all together.

As someone pointed out before, just because something is hard doesn't make it worthy of merit. I'm sure being a pimp is much harder than I think it is. That doesn't make me respect it anymore.
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37  Edited By MysteriousBob
@JazGalaxy said:
Everytime I hear somebody say Zelda has a "great story" I weep a little for our collective civilization.
"
When has anyone on Earth ever said that?
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By HandsomeDead
@VelvetLore04 said:
" Any time someone praises Hideo Kojima for writing, I know to never take anything they say seriously. The fact that you compare the guy to Stephen King of all people says to me that you are not all that familiar with literature. Though I guess a comparison could be made, if you focus on the fact that both of them wrote terrible, terrible endings to an established and beloved franchise. "
Maybe it's because I started MGS at the right time, maybe it's because its the right mix of movie references and melodrama and/or maybe it's because it's the only real example of auteurism in video games, I feel like that criticism speaks more to the quality of video game writing in general more so than to Kojima himself. Were there more story driven games around that have the same budget and scope as MGS has, he'd quickly be found out and, in my estimation, be forced to be better than he has been. MGS3 and, to a large degree, MGS4 were examples of a guy who had so much creative control that he didn't know what to do with it. If Konami would just saddle him with an editor willing to say no to him, I think there may be something there. It'll never be proved though, so whatever.
FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#39  Edited By FlyingRat
@Jay444111 said:
"I think it is one of the few creative ideas out there that actually have actors pretty much speak in every imaginable language possible in one work.
I don't think you really get how many languages there are in the world.
oysteinBrenne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By oysteinBrenne
@Jay444111: Lol it was a joke just showing how some media blames everything on vidieo games

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#41  Edited By JasonR86
@Jay444111:

Every time something creative is put out for public consumption there is going to be someone who hates that work.  It's happened through history.  Those who are willing to put their creative work out there has to understand this and be willing to take the shit.  It happens to everyone from radio personalities, fiction writers, scriptwriters, movie directors, game developers etc. etc. 

I think it's cool you're passionate about this.  But, what you need to realize is that people will hate games for as long as video games are a popular medium.  Just like people will hate movies, music and so on.  It's a reality that I think everyone, creators and fans alike, needs to come to terms with. 

What really needs to be realized is that the act of pointing out the opinions of those who hate things like video games provides those haters with a soap box.  Hating the hater provides the hater with an audience which is what the hater wants.  So, just ignore the hater.  Sooner or later they will go away and be taken over by a new hater.  Continuing to ignore the haters will make the message much less important from every perspective (media, fans, fans of the hater's opinion, etc.).
Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Jay444111

@DystopiaX:

What? It's so damn simple to pay attention to the story. it makes complete sense also. Just takes paying attention to it. It is literally that simple. And you could easily piece EVERYING together. easier then hell.

Hell, they even have MESSAGES in them, something that action movies never had... ever. and MGS has some really good messages to it too, involving the fact that your genitics don't make you, you. to deciding what you will pass down to your children. whether good or bad. Honestly, I think the series was to ahead of time, gamers haven't grown up enough for it back then, and many still aren't now. (IMO flameshield!)

nachokicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By nachokicks

pretty dope videos 

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By JazGalaxy
@MysteriousBob said:
" @JazGalaxy said:
Everytime I hear somebody say Zelda has a "great story" I weep a little for our collective civilization.
"
When has anyone on Earth ever said that? "
Dude, I see it all the time. I don't even understand the idea behind it. Zelda is a fun adventure game but it has the story of an early readers book. LIke, literally.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#45  Edited By LordAndrew

I'm not reading that poorly formatted wall of text. Nor will I click those links, because I have no idea what sorts of videos will be on the other side.

Can you please summarize it for me?

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#46  Edited By frankxiv
@Jay444111 said:
" Please give your insight on how people should view videogames nowadays. "
however they want to view them. opinions.
Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Jay444111

@JazGalaxy:

It's actually pretty deep actually, just look at the lore of the land of hyrule, and honestly, majora's mask has an amazing story, insanely depressing once you search throughout the world. now the handhelds are LAME but the main titles are pretty heavy on story.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#48  Edited By Yummylee
@LordAndrew said:
" I'm not reading that poorly formatted wall of text. Nor will I click those links, because I have no idea what sorts of videos will be on the other side .Can you please summarize it for me? "

....basically.
 ....basically.
Dain22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#49  Edited By Dain22
@oysteinBrenne said:

"VIDIEO GAMEZ"

Pretty much this. I used to take games way too seriously - like the Zelda and Final Fantasy games - but then I graduated high school and stopped listening to Linkin Park (let's see what kind of shit I catch for that remark).

I appreciate the creative efforts that go into video games, and there have been some very profound titles (the depths of the Mas Effect universe stick out for me). But the truth of the matter is that there hasn't been anything to come along in the medium that can be compared to other major successes in other mediums. Theater has Shakespeare's Plays, Books have "Too Kill a Mocking Bird" and "Catcher In the Rye", and Films have "Citizen Kane". I've yet to see a game that can stand up along side those titles in the same way. Until then, I'm pretty okay with "DERP DERP VIDJA GAMES" and not taking anything too seriously. I tend to pity people who dismiss video-games on principle alone - it's more fun games more me, but I enjoy sharing the fun with others even more.

Come to think of it, I have my doubts that society will ever consider Video Games a "serious" medium (besides the business and profit context) because I don't think the medium can ever move beyond the "game" factor and all the associations and connotations that go with it.
JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By JazGalaxy
@Jay444111 said:
"

@JazGalaxy:

It's actually pretty deep actually, just look at the lore of the land of hyrule, and honestly, majora's mask has an amazing story, insanely depressing once you search throughout the world. now the handhelds are LAME but the main titles are pretty heavy on story.

"
I think a lot of that mindset is the problem. One person's deep is another person's "convoluted". Especially when a lot of the depth comes from people trying to connect dots that were never meant to be connected and the creators admit don't line up.

I agree with you 1000%, though, about Majora's Mask. That game was amazing. IT didn't really have a good "story" in a narrative sense, but that was what gave it bonus points in my book. I'm far more intrested in a game that is going to tell it's story though mood, color, art direction, music and actions than in narrative exposition and cut scenes.

Majora's Mask is one of the best games Nintendo has ever made alongside Super Mario Brothers 2.