Where will you be picking up your next generation console?

• 114 results
Lord_Xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Poll Where will you be picking up your next generation console? (372 votes)

GameStop 14%
Best Buy 8%
Amazon 53%
K-mart 0%
Walmart 3%
Game Console's Website 2%
I'm not buying a console 9%
Other (Specify where you are getting it from) 11%

Let's see where people are getting their console's from in Giant Bomb Community!

Do you guys plan on having it shipped to you the day of launch or will you go to the midnight launch event? Maybe some of you will just casually stroll in after work and pick it up when you have a minute. Was there a particular reason you chose the place you chose?

For me, I chose GameStop because they let me only put $100 to guarantee me a spot for my PS4. Also, they originally only had 20 of them to sell. This means there won't be a massive cluster of people in one space. Today I went up there to put a little more onto it and I asked how many will be there and the guy told me there will be forty. I will also be going to the midnight launch just because I enjoy the gamer get-togethers that is my social life.

• 
devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

amazon, cause fuck lines.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I pre ordered my PS4 at EB games. I don't have much of a problem with them, the one near me has yet to do me wrong. I'm hoping it stays that way.

Lord_Xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezakael: I haven't seen an EB Games in forever. I forgot it existed.

Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't get the PS4 Launch Day, so probably going to get it at Toys R Us. The one near me is usually deserted, so it shouldn't be a problem.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By killacam

santa

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lord_xp: EB games and Gamestop are pretty much the same thing at this point. Hell the one I go to switched the name to Gamestop for a little while before changing back again for some reason. Maybe the name holds more of a negative reputation than EB does.

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

no console for me, keeping it PC for now. Might buy a PS4 in a few years.

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

Not buying either at launch but when I do eventually buy one it will probably be Amazon.

theodacourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Maybe Gamestation or Game, although Asda and Tesco's occasionally heavily discount game things on day of release to ensure they sell more than the other, so probably them if that happens.

Lord_Xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezakael: Ohh ok. That's what I thought. GameStop is dominant in my area (Ohio) there was an EB Games, but it's GameStop now.

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Tesla

Amazon, mostly because I don't have to pay sales tax which saves me about $30. Having it delivered to me at work is nice too.

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SmilingPig

I will beat up some kid that picks up is console in a K-Mart and take that one.

mastertarvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

K-Mart son! No one ever thinks to go there for some reason, I got a Wii and a 360 at launch just casually strolling in the afternoon they released.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@lord_xp: @ezakael: They are the same company and have been for many years now. EB Games had better brand awareness in Canada so most of the ones in Canada are still EB Games. New stores get the Gamestop branding though and the old ones are getting some Gamestop branding below the EB Games branding. Within 5 years they will probably all be called Gamestop.

Blastroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Blastroid

Got to get some of those Best Buy points to help buy some games. So Best Buy was an easy choice for me.

Lord_Xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mastertarvin: I always think of K-mart....after the fact

@smilingpig: I honestly thought of putting that as an option hahaha.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gamestop. My go-to place for stuff. It helps that the people there know what they're doing.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Amazon. Cuz Prime Shipping.

BD_Mr_Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BD_Mr_Bubbles

amazon, cause fuck lines.

Yep, ordered mine right after the conference.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amazon unless some other place offers a ridiculous discount, which sometimes happens around these parts.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amazon assuming I have the money to spend come November.

skipper00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Asda (supermarket in the UK) because I work there and get discount.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Just bought some computer parts. Not planning on getting a PS4 for at least a year (if not longer or at all). Gonna make sure there aren't any hardware problems or any of that kind of thing. That and usually launch games aren't the best anyways.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quarters said:

Gamestop. My go-to place for stuff. It helps that the people there know what they're doing.

wha-... WHAT ARE YOU SAYING?

*head explodes*

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

The 'zone and Steam are like crack. Always there when you need em, good price, and reliable.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amazon, like the majority :) Although I'm trying to avoid buying my PS4 soon, my PS3 backlog is still too big :[

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#27  Edited By MildMolasses

My front door when UPS guy drops it off

OGinOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By OGinOR

The MS storefront on my 360. It was quick, easy, and they don't charge me anything until it ships...works for me. That, and it tends to be wet here in PDX in the fall...I'd rather not be soaked and cold waiting for it.

Lord_Xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Lord_Xp
rangers517

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By rangers517

Preordered my PS4 from Best Buy a couple days ago. Had like $100 in Best Buy credit so it made that decision easy.

leftie68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amazon...PS4. I missed out on the first Launch Day Editions, but picked up a Launch Day edition bundled with Watch Dogs yesterday. I have a question. On the amazon launch day editions for the PS4, in the item descriptions it says they "Gauranteed to be available on the Release Day" (Yes they misspelled Guaranteed). However, the X-Box One Day One Edition has no such wording. Does that mean it isn't guaranteed first day launch for the X-Box One if you pre-order now?

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Marcsman

Gamestop

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks to Amazon, I'm just picking it up at my doorstep!

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By bigjeffrey

Gamestop since i could go down there and get one, no need to wait on a UPS man.

Was thinking of doing midnight launch but afraid there is going to be guns, just a feeling.

Also fuck midnight launches for games.

MJHAYLETT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ShopTo.net in the UK - they 99% of the time deliver games a day early for me but I don't see them shipping my PS4 a day early :D

Lord_Xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was thinking of doing midnight launch but afraid there is going to be guns, just a feeling.

Where the hell do you live?

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#37  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Probably either Wal-Mart or K-Mart because those are the closest.

To me, buying a console on Amazon is missing out on a large part of the fun of getting a new console, which is driving to a store and hoping that they have some in stock. Or waiting in line. Not sure I'll do that again. Waiting for the Wii was fun because there were a bunch of people I knew there, but I doubt that'll happen again.

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At my front door, like normal people (though from newegg, not Amazon.) I may go to a store to buy some games, though I have no idea what store that would be.

Lord_Xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Lord_Xp

Probably either Wal-Mart or K-Mart because those are the closest.

To me, buying a console on Amazon is missing out on a large part of the fun of getting a new console, which is driving to a store and hoping that they have some in stock. Or waiting in line. Not sure I'll do that again. Waiting for the Wii was fun because there were a bunch of people I knew there, but I doubt that'll happen again.

I thought I was the only one that enjoyed picking up my system in store. I'm glad I'm not though

onyxghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best buy, it's two blocks from my house.

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

Amazon for free Prime shipping, no tax, and it should arrive on launch day.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know yet but I chose Gamestop. Hopefully not many people pre-ordered at my Gamestop because it's usually empty when I go there. When I get the money, I'll go on a hunt scouring Gamestops and Best Buys to see if I can get one launch day.

@lord_xp said:

@bigjeffrey said:

I don't know about Jeff (Probably NY) but I live in NY and I wouldn't be surprised if I get killed after picking up a PS4 at midnight. If I pre-order one, I'll wait for the morning or go with a bunch of people to pick it up at midnight. And probably bring some homemade weapons, Dead Rising style. OR probably call some cops, say I'm drunk and have them pick me up and bring me home. Or just find someone to drive me to and from. So many options!

Lord_Xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know yet but I chose Gamestop. Hopefully not many people pre-ordered at my Gamestop because it's usually empty when I go there. When I get the money, I'll go on a hunt scouring Gamestops and Best Buys to see if I can get one launch day.

@lord_xp said:

@bigjeffrey said:

I don't know about Jeff (Probably NY) but I live in NY and I wouldn't be surprised if I get killed after picking up a PS4 at midnight. If I pre-order one, I'll wait for the morning or go with a bunch of people to pick it up at midnight. And probably bring some homemade weapons, Dead Rising style. OR probably call some cops, say I'm drunk and have them pick me up and bring me home. Or just find someone to drive me to and from. So many options!

Ohh, that would make sense. I live in a rather big city, but the police station is right across the street from GameStop that I'm going to. Unless the police steal it from me.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

I know this doesn't happen everywhere, but there are always stories of people getting hurt and there systems stolen during a midnight launch. I'd rather just wait the few extra hours and just buy from Amazon.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lord_xp: The area I live in isn't bad but there are some piece of shits around so it's likely people will get robbed. But yeah, I really don't think I should get one midnight. Sounds like a worse idea every second I think about it.

spookytapes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I already preordered my PS4 via Amazon, but if I decide to get an Xbone as well, I'm doing the same thing I did for the 360: getting in line at Kmart. There were only like 6 of us there all night and we all got one. The crowd didn't start forming until people got turned away from other stores. No one ever thinks of Kmart. Why preorder anything?

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Probably GameStop since it will guarantee me a console on day 1. I've got pre-orders at a whole bunch of online retailers and I'll cancel them as the launch day approaches just to make sure I can get a PS4 on launch day.

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amazon for me, but I wonder if either MS or Sony will implement an Apple style system where they cut out the middle man and take their own pre-orders?

I almost expected Andrew House to make that announcement at the end of the presser. "Its $399. It will be available around the world this holiday and available for pre-order only on Playstation.com"

MS could do some damage control on the unpopularity of their pricing by doing something like this. Like a $50 discount if you order it from MS.com or buy it from one of their stores.

daltimond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By daltimond

Damn right the majority got it from Amazon. I've never bought a system on launch day but I worked at best buy for the launch of the current gen systems (not the Wii U) and there were lines outside like two days before the launch. Fuck that Shit! I preordered one PS4 after the conference and paid with a gift card that I bought for the amount the console would cost just to make sure Ill have it paid off come launch day. I also preordered another PS4 once they came out with the new launch bundles with a game. If i have the money for a second one I'll just pay for it and then sell it on ebay.

@leftie68 said:

Amazon...PS4. I missed out on the first Launch Day Editions, but picked up a Launch Day edition bundled with Watch Dogs yesterday. I have a question. On the amazon launch day editions for the PS4, in the item descriptions it says they "Gauranteed to be available on the Release Day" (Yes they misspelled Guaranteed). However, the X-Box One Day One Edition has no such wording. Does that mean it isn't guaranteed first day launch for the X-Box One if you pre-order now?

Im pretty sure that you are right. I wouldn't just assume I would get the Xbox One unless it specifically says that I would get it on launch day. It even says, once you actually preorder it, that estimated delivery is, several days after Amazon's tentative launch day, on December 4th unlike the PS4 which says you'll get it the on the tentative launch day they posted for it. I feel like a lot of people are going to be disappointed come launch. I assume that after Amazon sold out of Day One Xbox Ones and sold the several of the "get these after launch" Xbox Ones, a lot of people cancelled their "Day One" Xbox Ones and they just moved the non release day preorders up the queue, resulting in a surplus of Day One Xbox Ones that are getting shipped after launch. Just a theory though.

@djou: Both companies totally do already let you preorder off of their own website.

Lord_Xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesomeusername: Oh ok. I work in Cleveland and everytime I walk outside my building there are always police sirens and something going on that's terrible. But when I get home at around 10pm in my small town, I walk across the street to my house and there isn't a single noise besides the wind blowing.