Which company that has the best sound track collection?

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Giant_Gamer

Poll Which company that has the best sound track collection? (75 votes)

Activision 1%
Bethesda 1%
Capcom 5%
EA 3%
Konami 11%
Microsoft 3%
Nintendo 25%
Sony 1%
Square Enix 29%
Ubisoft 1%
Other 19%

Excluding licensed music, which gaming has the best sound track collection in your opinion? If you got a favorite sound track then let us know!

My answer is Capcom as they have a high range of genres in their sound tracks and their best in my opinion is DMC3's devil never cry.

• 
cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By cloudymusic

Konami is a very strong contender for me. Castlevania, Suikoden, Silent Hill, Metal Gear, all of their NES games with "Konami drums," a lot of their arcade games (shooters and beat-em-ups, most of which had great music) and all of their countless rhythm game series with huge music catalogs of their own.

jeremyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 11

All of the companies listed have made great stuff over the years, but for me Nintendo still has the highest density of prolific, iconic songs. Just look at Smash's compendium of music - few others could collect such a strong library.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Square or Capcom...probably go w Square.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Where Halo goes, I go.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tough call. When thinking about companies as a whole, I'm remembering a banger soundtrack from entire games (Castlevania, Megaman, etc). Actually, I think Konami takes it. Aside from the ones already mentioned, we get weird menu jazz for Pro Evolution Soccer and those fucking awful original songs for PES 2008. And the ambient sneaky stuff from Metal Gear Solid.

mikewhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I went with Konami but frig this is a tough choice.

Ryuku_Ryosake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glaring omission from this list is Sega. Sonic games. Phantasy Star. Their arcade games. DAYTONA! They own Atlus, so the Persona soundtracks.

Capcom is very good. My favorites are the the Phoenix Wright and Ghost Trick soundtracks. Also Breath of Fire series has some bangers and a soft spot for the DMC 3,4 and 5 soundtracks.

I ultimately land on Square Enix. Final Fantasy. Chrono Trigger. The World Ends with You. Dragon Quest. Nier Automata. The FFXIV soundtrack is both the biggest and best soundtrack of all time.

Avatar image for deactivated-611d8183a00c9
deactivated-611d8183a00c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

@giant_gamer: How many rifts can you have on the Assassin's Creed main theme? ?That alone makes Ubisoft my favorite. Nintendo will probably win but that's only because the familiarity transcends lifetimes and mostly people's formative years. We should be more discerning.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Just by sheer hit-to-miss ratio, I gotta give it to Apogee. Bobby Prince, man... the guy can do no wrong.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Out of those I would definitely go for Konami. As much as Capcom has some iconic bangers, I just think the overall work of Konami is just more memorable as a whole. And I think the more western and/or modern big studios of today might have a really great soundtrack on a given game, I don't think of their entire catalogue of music as memorable.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Giant_Gamer

@ryuku_ryosake: darn it, i couldn't believe that i have forgotten SEGA! but i guess the reason is that i didn't make the connection between them and Atlus while creating this thread because Persona 4 had a great soundtrack that i can still play in my head.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Konami had a killer collection of soundtracks for years. Nintendo and Sega were full of classics, Capcom, too. But I guess I just like Contra and Castlevania songs.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

i see Konami, i click Konami.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you include Atlus as part of SEGA then SEGA is an easy choice for me, although I'd be tempted to give it to Atlus alone. Practically every MegaTen game has a solid to amazing soundtrack, and there's also stuff like Etrian Odyssey, which often have fantastic soundtracks in their own rights.

Square would be heavy competition though, given obvious examples like Final Fantasy (especially 9 and 14) and Nier, the latter of which is in the running for best soundtrack of all time.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#15  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

Kinda weird selection for the poll, but I'd go with EA. Maybe not for their current output, but a lot of the games they put out in the 80s and 90s (or at least published by companies which they have since acquired) have incredible soundtracks.

Entire franchises of nothing but soundtrack gold like Command & Conquer, Wing Commander, Ultima, Syndicate, System Shock and Populous. Many of Maxis' Sim games have great soundtracks too (with SimIsle being an all-time favorite), and after the 2000s, DICE's games have had a pretty high bar soundtrack wise too - the Battlefield games and Mirror's Edge for example.

Loading Video...

Epic (Mega)games and Apogee are definitely in the conversation too. Even before Epic had the Fortnite bucks, they were a pretty big publisher with quite the soundtrack catalogue - the Unreal and Jazz Jackrabbit games are a given, but also more obscure strategy titles like 7th Legion and Warhammer 40K Final Liberation were published by Epic.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By LeStephan

Hard question, like in terms of quality and amount and how long theyve been keeping up the high quality Id say its nintendo no doubt....but I personaly despise a lot of nintendo music xD I still remember clearly as a child being driven crazy by the music in super mario world whenever id fail over and over and over. Ive heard many people say the music in (old) nintendo games (considering the new ones are all easy as shit) keeps them from becoming frustrated because its so cheerfull, on me thats always had the complete oposite effect lol. (although music affects me a lot in general I guess, in bloodborne or darksouls for example turning off the oppresive soundtracks makes bossfights impossibly easier, it almost feels like cheating, but in that case it seems a deliberate choice and its the fun of that game to overcome the oppresion. )

love konami and capcom but mostly for their output from the nes-ps2 era and the same pretty much goes for square with some exceptions here and there but I guess that goes for konami and capcom too.

Pretty sure sony owns a good amount of great osts too but im blanking on which ones for a sec...All I can think of atm is demon souls and skyblazer haha :')

Honestly I think I might agree with the guy that said SEGA would be it if it included ATLUS games.

And while Fisk0 brings up a good point about ea im not sure id personaly consider many of those he named "soundtrack gold" theres definitely good stuff in there though dont get me wrong.And EA does own a goshdarn LOT.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By cikame

Koei.
What?
That's right, i have over 10 hours of Dynasty Warriors music that i absolutely adore, and they take that butt rock/metal vibe wherever they go and i almost always love it. Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage excellent, Dead or Alive is generally weak but 6 has some good songs, my highlight is Exciter from the 2nd game.

It was in close contention with Namco, i LOOOOVE the Tekken soundtracks, also Pac-Man CE, also this track in Time Crisis hits me in the feelings, and we can't ignore Ace Combat, shoutouts to the much maligned Assault Horizon for making me want to shoot missiles harder than ever before, but also AC7 for just being astoundingly beautiful.

Avatar image for bicycle_repairman
Bicycle_Repairman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i would like to write in CD Projekt Red and From Software.

AKTANE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cikame: @bicycle_repairman: I agree, the souls games have incredible music. I love this point on Koei :)

I think this list has basically changed over the years if we think of a 10 year moving average.

Back in the early days though Konami, Tecmo, and Capcom had it locked. Super Mario and Zelda might be iconic but Megaman 2, Castlevania, Ninja Gaiden, Crisis Force, all have music that is much more than just game music. I listened to the ninja gaiden one soundtrack the other day. It's 8 bit sure, but can be theatrical (because of their tecmo theatre aka cutscenes!), it pulsates, it kicks ass.

I'm not listening to mario or zelda outside of the games and actually zelda gets annoying as the loop continues forever and grinds my nerves. I much prefer Crystalis (SNK)'s open world music, that shit slaps mad hord.

If we start to get into 16 bit Yuzo Koshiro and his SOR1 and SOR2 soundtracks, Michuru Yamane with Castlevania Bloodlines ... Trivia, did you guys know for Castlevania Portrait of Ruin, Yamane did the main sound, but Koshiro contributed tracks! Thats so sick!

Come to think about it, I think this would be more fun if it was about composers :)

TLDR: The answer I am looking for is a tie Danny B and Ben Prunty

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Square Enix is probably unassailable to me personally. There's incredibly strong entries from a whole bunch of these companies but I'll probably never get over the weight of nostalgia from so many songs from the various FF games over the years, not to mention other standouts like The World Ends with You and Chrono Trigger. I mean, Nier Automata alone might be enough for me to say that Square is the best.

AKTANE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lestephan: shit ATLUS! right! if we're talking publishers, ATLUS HAS to be up there I can't believe I forgot ... sure there's the SMT / Persona games (Persona 4 and 5 are the only video games I bought physical import CD's for since the soundtracks arent on streaming)... but they also published a shit ton of amazing Shmups.

If you know anything about amazing shmups, its that they have amazing soundtracks, gunbird, dodonpachi series, strikers, sol divide... ATLUS has to be in here good call

AKTANE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fisk0: C&C Remastered had me gushing over its soundtrack. Its all over the place, its so good. It can be corny too, I love all of it. the remastered joints are fire

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Atlus/Sega because everything Shoji Meguro touches turns to FIRE 🔥🔥🔥

NameRedacted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Naughty Dog???

Greg Edmondson's work on the Uncharted trilogy is some of the best in video games.

Otherwise, (scumbag) Jeremy Soule's work on Skyrim is right up there at the top. Skyrim's music is, damn near, one of the biggest reasons Skyrim is so good.

insomniak08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thatgamecompany's games always have amazing soundtracks

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MerxWorx01

I think I'll go with Supergiant Games. They tend to have music I like.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Genessee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

i see Konami, i click Konami.

I see no falcom, i click other.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sega is the winner for me with Nintendo, Square Enix, and Konami close behind.