Which console will you choose to play Valve games on in the future?

• 88 results
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

One of the big announcements out of this year's E3 was that Steam is essentially going to be dumped verbatim onto the PlayStation 3 -- encompassing Steam games, Valve games, Steamcloud, and all that other Steam functionality that I'm not fully familiar with because I don't play PC games. Valve's software will also continue coming out on the XBOX 360, obviously. However, the PlayStation 3 will now be able to (theoretically) match the XBOX 360's online capabilites -- friends, et cetera -- through parity with the Steam system on the PC.

When it comes down to these kinds of issues, I always go for which ever version of the game is better. But the promise of Steam seems to hint to me that versions will be more or less the same across consoles. In that case, I'm more inclined to go with the PlayStation 3 for personal reasons: I like the Dual Shock better, for one, though that is admittedly a minor detail.

Which console will you pick for Valve games henceforth, assuming you own both consoles?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By Yummylee

Playstation 3, as with all my multiplatform games.

dipstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By dipstick

My PC. 

You couldn't pay me to play Portal 2 (or any Valve games) with a gamepad.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jadeskye
@Dipstick said:
" My PC.  You couldn't pay me to play Portal 2 (or any Valve games) with a gamepad. "

No Caption Provided
Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Skytylz

If I had a credit card, I'd get them all off steam.  I don't, so I'll continue to play them on my 360.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By FreakAche
@Dipstick said:
" My PC.  You couldn't pay me to play Portal 2 (or any Valve games) with a gamepad. "
With Half-Life, Left 4 Dead, and Team Fortress I understand this attitude. But what's so difficult about playing Portal with a gamepad? It's a puzzle game, you don't really have to be precise.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By LiquidPrince
@Abyssfull said:
" Playstation 3, as with all my multiplatform games. "
This.

@Dipstick said:

I bet I could.
plop1920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By plop1920

I had to rebuy TF2 on the pc because of all the content I was missing since I had the orange box on my 360. Ever since I updated my comp to run stuff other then cs 1.6, the pc is my go to system for most games
wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#10  Edited By wefwefasdf

I prefer Valve games on the PC. 

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Marz

none, cuz valve games are better on PC :)

bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By bhhawks78

I don't like valve games, but I'm sure I'll rent portal 2 to at least check it out either on 360 or buy it on pc down the line on some crazy steam sale.

Using the ps3 controller for an fps is like smashing your hands with a hammer before playing.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

You know, that's all great, but the question and poll was about video game consoles and the announcement  of Steam on the PlayStation 3 at E3. None of this is about the PC. But thanks for turning up!
 You know, that's all great, but the question and poll was about video game consoles and the announcement  of Steam on the PlayStation 3 at E3. None of this is about the PC. But thanks for turning up!
EVHKwick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By EVHKwick

My 360, but I really wish MS would get their head out of their collective asses and allow Valve to charge how much they want for the DLC. Plus. I've always preferred console online gaming over PC.

Kahoona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Kahoona

PC, like they're meant to be played.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By mazik765

Probably a PC, but that isn't an option.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#17  Edited By BeachThunder
@ZanzibarBreeze said:

" One of the big announcements out of this year's E3 was that Steam is essentially going to be dumped verbatim onto the PlayStation 3"

BS. 

@GabeNewell said

When the PlayStation 3 was introduced, I was the one of the platform’s biggest critics. However, Sony Computer Entertainment has proved that the PlayStation 3 is the most open platform of all the current generation consoles and has worked extremely hard to make the platform the most desirable for consumers and developers. As such, we are delighted to announce Portal 2 for the PlayStation 3 and believe the Steamworks support included will make it the best console version of the game.

I believe this just means you will be able to connect with other players and get automatic updates, but not Steam "verbatim" + every game that is available on it.
slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By slyspider

360 as with all multi plat. games

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19  Edited By jonnyboy

Ecksbocks. Communication is the key. Friends help too.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By HitmanAgent47

My pc, if I want slowdowns like the orange box on the ps3, i'll get it for the ps3, I wouldn't want that. Just because you got one game portals 2, doesn't mean you should celebrate like the ps3 is getting all of valve's games.

Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan
@ZanzibarBreeze said:
"
"
Considering a huge amount of people still choose to  play Valve games on PC, it's very much a choice.
I liked the Orange Box on the 360, but I'm gonna use my fancy shmancy PC to play it (And 360 as my next choice).
dipstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By dipstick
@FreakAche said:
" @Dipstick said:
With Half-Life, Left 4 Dead, and Team Fortress I understand this attitude. But what's so difficult about playing Portal with a gamepad? It's a puzzle game, you don't really have to be precise. "
Seriously? The timing with portal one required some pretty precise aiming. I can only imagine it being harder in portal 2 
dipstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By dipstick
@LiquidPrince said:
" @Abyssfull said:
This.

@Dipstick said:
I bet I could. "
I didn't ask you....but congratz? 
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BraveToaster

The Gamestation360 X. You haven't heard of it because it's from the future.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By LiquidPrince
@Dipstick said:
" @LiquidPrince said:
" @Abyssfull said:
This.

@Dipstick said:
I bet I could. "
I didn't ask you....but congratz?  "
Sense. You sentence makes none.
tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By tebbit

PC bay bay.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

360 until I upgrade my PC.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By NTM

Yeah. Half Life is one of the lone games that should be played on PC only. Other than that? It just kind of sucks. I can't stand Orange Box on the 360 or PS3. PS3 version was worse since it had sound and graphic problems almost all the way through, while the 360 version just doesn't look that good graphically for some reason. So yes, PC all the way. Although now, I don't really care too much about Valve.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By Diamond

I thought all of Orange Box was great on 360, but Valve does go the extra mile on PC (hell, they finally updated the PC version with the console graphics features and achievements in the last few weeks), so that's what I'll get Portal 2 and other misc on, at least until the next gen of consoles come out.

If I didn't have a good PC today I'd wait and see how stuff like Portal 2 actually turned out on PS3 or 360, get whichever was better.

dhaikage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By dhaikage

I am fairly certain that there is no "PC" option up there. And we can always start up the old argument of whether the PC is a console. Either way, most of you are reading fail.

GrandpaJelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By GrandpaJelly
@LiquidPrince:  Congrats for having so much money? 
Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh please. Valve games are just fine on consoles. I've played Half-Life, Half-Life 2, Portal, and Team Fortress 2 all on a PC and on a console.  While I have a slight, I can't stress that enough, slight preference for Valve games on PC, they are not magically made "better" by playing them on one.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By LiquidPrince
@GrandpaJelly said:
" @LiquidPrince:  Congrats for having so much money?  "
Thanks...?
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By Milkman

360. Achievements, yo.

church069

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By church069

Well since Valve mainly makes first person shooters I would have to go with the PC for now.  I would go with the 360, but the current lack of steamworks support (at the moment) makes that into a poor choice.  Also I don't really like using the Dualshock 3 to play shooters, so the PS3 is also not a good choice for me either.  I'll stick with the PC for Valve games.

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Hourai

I only play Valve games on the PC. 

Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#37  Edited By Siphillis

No option for PC, where I will forever play Valve games. 

However, I would choose PS3 over 360 because of SteamWorks support and open DLC, and possibly mouse and keyboard support.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By John1912

Gabe Newell hates the PS3 so I will definitely be playing on the 360.  Im sure they will be slightly better on 360 overall like most multi platform games.

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By defaulttag

If I had to choose, I'd go PS3 because of the Steam Cloud support. but i'm already good at the moment with a PC

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#40  Edited By Daveyo520

You forgot to put the right answer of PC up there.

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ShaunassNZ
@jadeskye said:
" @Dipstick said:

No Caption Provided
"
What about this?
Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

In terms of the Steam service which may end up popping up... 

Realistically, a PC. 

Realistically for a console, a PS3. It's just more viable when it comes to the openness of the PSN service, from what I understand of it so far. 

I feel like Microsoft would find a way to stick fees in there and make it require a gold membership (of course). 

ZeroRegistry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ZeroRegistry

Definitely my PC.   

I couldn't imagine playing portal on a controller.  

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#44  Edited By sjschmidt93

Neither.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#45  Edited By AgentJ

You're asking me to vote for control-sticks for FPS games? Not going to happen. PC. 

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Ryax
@HitmanAgent47 said:
"

My pc, if I want slowdowns like the orange box on the ps3, i'll get it for the ps3, I wouldn't want that. Just because you got one game portals 2, doesn't mean you should celebrate like the ps3 is getting all of valve's games.

"
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@HitmanAgent47 said:
"

"
I never experienced any slowdown with The Orange Box on the PlayStation 3. It's a big myth about that version that's just not true. The PlayStation 3 version's load times were a might longer (and I'm talking, like, three seconds), that was all. In fact, I actually think the PlayStation 3 version has some advantages over the XBOX 360 one - like all you have to do to quicksave is hold down the start button (as I understand it you have to go into the pause menu on the 360).
Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

I feel like the only person on this site that would rather play FPS games via Dual Shock 3. It's just easier for me, and WAY more comfortable. Playing FPS games on a PC via keyboard and mouse has always been really awkward and uncomfortable for me, and usually ends up hurting my wrists and fingers after a while. Perhaps it's because I'm left handed or something. I mean, I've always used a mouse with my right hand, because thats where the mouse was always placed when I was learning to use computers back in the 90's.

ArcLyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ArcLyte

PC. it's the only way to fly.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@SathingtonWaltz said:
" I feel like the only person on this site that would rather play FPS games via Dual Shock 3. It's just easier for me, and WAY more comfortable. Playing FPS games on a PC via keyboard and mouse has always been really awkward and uncomfortable for me, and usually ends up hurting my wrists and fingers after a while. Perhaps it's because I'm left handed or something. I mean, I've always used a mouse with my right hand, because thats where the mouse was always placed when I was learning to use computers back in the 90's. "
I'm the same, so you're not alone. 

I don't really like the PC for gaming. I don't see what the big problem with the Dual Shock is. "It's imprecise". Well, I don't play multiplayer, and it's never ever posed any problems for me in the single player modes. But that's just me. And I had a ton of fun playing Half-Life for the PS2 and The Orange Box on the PS3. I had no problems with Portal in terms of "speed" or "aiming". Just myths that keep on being perpetrated, totally false.