Which did you like better L.A. Noire or Heavy Rain?

• 67 results
SSValis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By SSValis
JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By JasonR86

Heavy Rain was ok but had a ton of ugly story problems, sort of off-gameplay and left a bad taste in my mouth.  LA Noire had a bit of a shitty ending (though I get why they did it that way) and the gameplay wasn't always perfect BUT it was a much better game then Heavy Rain with a much better, more consistent story.

SumDeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By SumDeus

I've only played L.A. Noire, which definitely had plenty of problems but wrapped up nicely. From what I've heard, Heavy Rain was good but didn't live up to the hype either so....I DUNNO.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Vinny_Says
@SaltyPancakes said:

I haven't played Heavy Rain but voted for it anyway. I became very bored of L.A. Noire about half way through the second disc.

brilliant
SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By SeanFoster

Really tough call, can't decide so I didn't vote. I think they're both great but flawed games.

SSValis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SSValis
@JasonR86 said:
Heavy Rain was ok but had a ton of ugly story problems, sort of off-gameplay and left a bad taste in my mouth.  LA Noire had a bit of a shitty ending (though I get why they did it that way) and the gameplay wasn't always perfect BUT it was a much better game then Heavy Rain with a much better, more consistent story.
The thing I liked about Heavy Rain is that I felt every little thing had some sort of consequence. L.A. Noire didn't do that as well, but I still liked the story.
Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Aronman789

Heavy Rain cut a chunk out of their own plot, making it incomplete and really confusing.  At least LA Noire didn't rip out a chunk of the story.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JasonR86
@SSValis said:
@JasonR86 said:
The thing I liked about Heavy Rain is that I felt every little thing had some sort of consequence. L.A. Noire didn't do that as well, but I still liked the story.
Yeah, they handled consequences really well.  But the main story was so...off in so many ways those consequences didn't really matter to me.
Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By Hizang

It's a tough choice, but I think I enjoyed Heavy Rain more because I could not put the controller down, literally did it in one day.

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I still can't get myself to beat L.A. Noire so my answer should be obvious enough

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

Noire

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JasonR86
@Zacagawea said:
I still can't get myself to beat L.A. Noire so my answer should be obvious enough
How can you not 'get yourself' to beat a game?  What does that mean?
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I definitely preferred Heavy Rain. I never played a game where a player's actions could have such an impact on the outcome of the story and I also enjoyed the actual story and the twist at the end.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By Cameron

Heavy Rain. I thought the atmosphere in that game was top notch and I can live with the flawed story. L.A. Noire drags hard in the middle and that almost made me stop playing it. I thought it really picked up near the end, but the inconsistency really lowered my opinion of it.

SSValis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SSValis
@FluxWaveZ said:
I definitely preferred Heavy Rain. I never played a game where a player's actions could have such an impact on the outcome of the story and I also enjoyed the actual story and the twist at the end.
yea man, I hope the make a sequel.
RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RE_Player1

@JasonR86 said:

@Zacagawea said:
How can you not 'get yourself' to beat a game? What does that mean?

I've had that problem too. You start a game and want to finish it but just can't for some strange reason. Not liking one aspect and dreading to go through it can lead me to not put in a game for awhile. For example I bought Prince of Persia 08 in 2009 and didn't finish it until this year. It ended up being one of my favorite games this generation but I put it away and didn't look at it because I didn't like the camera.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@SSValis said: 
I hope they don't and Quantic Dreams have said that they won't. The story is fine on its own.
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By xyzygy

Heavy Rain was boring as shit. Nothing interesting happens and the killer is totally lame. Not to mention there is borderline zero gameplay. That fact could be waived if the story was any good but sadly it's not.

SSValis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SSValis
@FluxWaveZ said:
@SSValis said: 
I hope they don't and Quantic Dreams have said that they won't. The story is fine on its own.
I don't care about that story arc, I just want another predecessor.
JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JasonR86
@RE_Player92 said:

@JasonR86 said:

@Zacagawea said:
How can you not 'get yourself' to beat a game? What does that mean?

I've had that problem too. You start a game and want to finish it but just can't for some strange reason. Not liking one aspect and dreading to go through it can lead me to not put in a game for awhile. For example I bought Prince of Persia 08 in 2009 and didn't finish it until this year. It ended up being one of my favorite games this generation but I put it away and didn't look at it because I didn't like the camera.

...yeah, I guess.  I guess it is just weird to me because I've never had that problem.  I'll only stop if I'm on a section I can't beat 'like the last level of Ninja Gaiden 2' or I'm not enjoying the game.
RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RE_Player1

@JasonR86: Well that was the case with me. I completed a level but ended up falling of ledges so many times due to some wonky camera controls I put it away. I picked it up later and never had the same problem and enjoyed my experience.

SSValis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SSValis

So why do you guys think Heavy Rain was not as critically well reserved as L.A. Noire was?

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@JasonR86 said:
@Zacagawea said:
How can you not 'get yourself' to beat a game?  What does that mean?
By having other games to play and feeling like I've seen all that game has to offer.
EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By EuanDewar

L.A. Noire. By the end of Heavy Rain I was pretty annoyed by the nonsensical plot and the fact that a major plot point at the end of that game is decided by a sixaxsis movement and the sixaxsis control in that game is dodgy at best.

skyline7284

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By skyline7284

I was impacted by Heavy Rain, it was easily the most impressive storytelling experience that i've seen in a game (Followed by Alan Wake).  LA Noire was "Meh" for me.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#27  Edited By Yummylee

Despite the awful movement controls, and the gaping plot-hole, I adored Heavy Rain and its characters. The amount of influence your own choices impacted upon the story gave an extra amount of attachment to the story too, and it's overall one of my favourite cinematic experiences within gaming. 

L.A Noire did get kinda dull, and the majority of the Arson department was so boned. The interrogations I really didn't like because of how simple and arbitrary they were either. The characters were fantastic, though, and while the over-arching story sucked, there were some truly amazing self-contained stories within some of the cases. Gameplay wise I didn't like the shooting, but the chases, both on-foot and by car, were pretty exhilarating and some of the best the game has to had to offer. The open-world was a complete waste too, with it ironically being the largest World with a Rockstar logo on it, and having barely anything to do.

DAFTPUNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DAFTPUNK

L.A

Avatar image for themummydetective
TheMummyDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played Heavy Rain with three friends, each of us playing one of the characters in the game. It was easily one of my favorite gaming experiences and leaps and bounds more fun than L.A. Noire 

Heavy Rain: 2011's 2010 Muliplayer Game of the Year.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Karl_Boss

I haven't played either but I voted Heavy Rain cause it has a better title.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By toowalrus

Haven't played Heavy Rain yet... I'll get to it!

striderno9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32  Edited By striderno9

Heavy Rain.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#33  Edited By RobotHamster

JAAAAAAASSSOOONNNNN!!! 

Actually I voted LA Noire.  Both games were good but the facial capture stuff was pretty impressive. 

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34  Edited By jorbear

L.A. Noire by far. I nearly threw my PS3 out the window during the whole, "JASON? Jasssonnn?" sequence at the beginning in Heavy Rain.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By vidiot

I'm assuming we are comparing these two games, because they are probably the largest budgeted adventure games made recently? 

I would probably vote for L.A. Noire, but just barely. As much as I enjoyed Heavy Rain, there were some serious plot issues especially how certain parts were presented. While I liked how the game could radically effect parts of the plot, I personally more enjoyed the lengthy TV season style of Noire.

My choices for putting one-over-the-other seem like severe nit-picking though.

Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Heavy Rain easily. Wanna-Be critics love to tear it down but the experience of playing through it (especially the first time) is second to none. LA Noire is a good game but not great. History will remember it more for it's facial tech than anything else. Both games are worthwhile plays but Heavy Rain has far more weight in my opinion.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#37  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Gonna have to pick Heavy Rain for this one.

xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#38  Edited By xpgamer7

Noire was more of a typical game than Heavy Rain. I liked how it was different so I vote for Heavy Rain.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Cold_Wolven

Heavy Rain, it kept me hooked till the end and as much as I don't like QTE the game handled it smartly. L.A. Noire was good until half way through the game where the story flipped on its head and missions went through the same boring procedures and the gun play and open world was rubbish.

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#40  Edited By Junkerman

I couldnt even bring myself to  finish L.A Noire, it was too simplistic and repetitive- mixed with poor driving mechanics and not a strong enough story to compel me to look passed its negatives.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By NTM

Those are the two "big" games that I haven't played, and I don't know yet if I plan to. I watched a lot of Heavy Rain knowing (or thinking?) that I'm not going to play it, and everything I see in it just isn't great. I mean, maybe the story is good, and maybe it's fun to play, but that voice acting is terrible. L.A. Noire just kind of look boring. I felt that way before it even came out. The only thing I would probably like about it is that era it takes place in. I'm sure the game is of great quality, but it isn't for my tastes.

Loose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Loose

I haven't played Heavy Rain because footage made it look like like a long-ass interactive movie. LA Noire was a solid-enough game that I enjoyed it even if it did seem to go on a little too long.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By GunslingerPanda

LA Noire because it's a videogame.

face15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By face15

Heavy Rain was okay, I guess. I'm not a real fan of the story or the gameplay. In LA Noire, on the other hand, I thoroughly enjoyed both.

Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Zithe

I really liked aspect of both games, but if I had to go with one it would be Heavy Rain. After I finished that game I felt like I had actually been through something and had a meaningful experience. L.A. Noire was just a somewhat interesting ride.

Trebz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Trebz

LA Noire. Heavy Rain was interesting and had some very tense, exciting moments, but, being built as an interactive movie, it depended more than most games on its plot. Unfortunately, that plot was riddled with holes. 

L.A. Noire wasn't quite as ambitious as Heavy Rain was in its storytelling, but it was a more entertaining game with a story that, while not earth-shattering, at least made sense.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#47  Edited By Sooperspy

Heavy Rain, even though I really like LA Noire.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#48  Edited By Sooperspy
@Aronman789 said:
Heavy Rain cut a chunk out of their own plot, making it incomplete and really confusing.  At least LA Noire didn't rip out a chunk of the story.
Sure they did. The ripped out half of LA Confidential's story.
kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#49  Edited By kennybaese

LA Noire. As much as I loved Heavy Rain, I'm a giant sucker for Noir detective stories in general, as such LA Noire hit a note with me that hasn't been hit with me before. I thought the story in Heavy Rain was very cool, as well as the things they did with the way that game played, but I enjoyed LA Noire a bit more because the voice acting was better and the setting was a little more interesting to me.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Pibo47

Ehh i guess i cant vote yet because i havent played LA Noire yet...but i do plan on doing so.