Which Difficulty Level Do You Normally Choose in Video Games?

• 112 results
Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#51  Edited By Sooperspy

Always normal.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By iam3green

i play on normal all the time. from playing call of duty on veteran it scared me not to play on hard. i played veteran on 4 and i hated it so much that i said screw playing games on hard.

Hichael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By Hichael

It really depends. If it is a genre that  I'm familiar with then hard. But it not then I'll probably just go to normal. I just wanna play the game then, if i wanna be better ill set the difficulty higher.

cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#54  Edited By cap123

I go for Hard to start of with, then move up to the top most difficulty for a second run through normally.

I find Normal is sometimes geared more to any guy who may have a casual interest in games, and I play games quite a lot so i find its normally a bit easy. I like a challenge.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#55  Edited By cornbredx

Depends on the game, and how it handles difficulty. Usually normal, but sometimes hard if the game is too easy for me.

Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#56  Edited By Malakhii

Normally, I choose normal 

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#57  Edited By Chris2KLee

Usually normal, but recently I have been dipping more into the easy end of things just to get games finished or to mitigate poor game mechanics (I'm looking at your Alpha Protocol).

pwnasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By pwnasaurus

always 1 step above normal, normal is way too easy.

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#59  Edited By FesteringNeon

I kinda suck at most games truthfully, or think i'm better than I actually am if I play on easy, or very easy... so I stick with normal or default. The 2 exceptions are UT3 or the Unreal franchise (because i love the challenge in Unreal games), and Terminator Salvation(for a platnum trophy, which was cake!)

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#60  Edited By AssInAss

Always the hardest difficulty possible. I need a challenge in my games. But then some games are cheap like Call of Duty, so I just do it on "Hard". 

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By JP_Russell

Normal or easy, usually.  There are some exceptions.  Doom and its clones just don't play right and are honestly piss easy on anything below ultraviolence/equivalent (though nightmare is no fun because respawning enemies are lame).  Blood is similarly the most fun on its fourth difficulty level, Well Done.  But in general, I prefer a relatively laidback experience that still challenges me on some level.  And I'd say that ends up being normal difficulty for half the games out there, easy for the other half.
Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Hourai

One above normal for the achievement/trophy and the extra challenge. Most of the time I just end up getting pissed off by it, but hey. 

Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Goly

I used to play on normal because I thought that's what the great majority of people chose, but seeing that there's a lot of people choosing the hardest difficulty setting the next game I start is gonna be on hard too and see how I do. 

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Normal on my first playthrough,if i like the game then i start a new one,and put that bitch up on hard :D

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By defaulttag

Easy, I just care about finishing the game for story and characters. It's in multiplayer where I choose to challenge myself. 

kemp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By kemp

Almost always the default difficulty, but it depends on the game. Sometimes on hard. I don't want it to be too easy or too hard.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By monetarydread

I believe the developer chooses a default for a reason. If the game is worth playing over again, that is when I will play on hard.

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Cornman89

Usually Hard.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#69  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@KaosAngel said:
" Easy, cause I'm a pussy and not ashamed to admit it.  Also, it gives me an incentive to go back. "
Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Normal unless Normal in that franchise means Hard. Then I play on Easy.

withateethuh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By withateethuh

Normal usually. I want to enjoy a story-based game and dying too much breaks the immersion. Other than that, the middle between normal and the hardest mode; only if the game makes it more difficult than just making enemies have more health/damage.

Sulla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Sulla

In most games I go for Hard difficulty. The only game I've played on Normal in recent times was Modern Warfare 2 and I enjoyed it a lot less than the previous installments which I played on Hard, simply (probably) because it shortened the game by an hour and a half or so. I also switched back to Normal on God of War: Chains of Olympus, because playing it on Hard on a PSP was hurting my hands too much. I have never completed a game on its hardest difficulty though (only a few levels in CoD 4).

psykhophear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 142

#73  Edited By psykhophear

As for me, I would normally choose Normal. Easy on fighting games because I'm such a baby in that genre and sometimes Hard in FPS games.

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Kjellm87

Going normal, easy if it's Ninja Gaiden bs kinda game and hard if I feel for a challenge

sjosz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By sjosz

Heavily depends for me. If it's a Call of Duty, casual, because then I have the best chance of enjoying the action rollercoaster with not too many frustrating deaths against the inevitable infinite spawnpoints. Most other games: Hard or Very Hard.

fearthephins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By fearthephins

On my first playthrough I tend to keep it on normal. If I feel motivated to get the achievement which involves beating the game on a harder difficulty I might try that out on my second playthrough.

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By SteamPunkJin

Unless it's locked out I start on the hardest setting available. I just figure if you start on hard you won't know how hard it really is compared to other settings, it just seems normal.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Aus_azn
@CaLe said:
" I check the achievements/trophies, and if there is a lot awarded for playing on hard then I'll choose it. Otherwise I go normal. "

This.

If it's a rhythm game or FPS, I usually put it on the hardest available. If not, then the above dictates what I do.
Avatar image for weegieanawrench
weegieanawrench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#79  Edited By weegieanawrench

Normal usually, and on consecutive playthroughs I up the difficulty. The only exception would be the COD games, I always start on Veteran. 

KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#80  Edited By KillyDarko

Usually normal, because I don't really have all that much time to invest in playing these days.
Also, I couldn't care less about achievements, so playing on the harder difficulty settings doesn't really bring any kind of meaningful reward to me.

flannelbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By flannelbeard

I pick whatever the hardest difficulty is... but... that is only half the story. 

I typically play on super easy on my first play through of most games. I like to coast through the first time, enjoy the story, pick up up collectables and that soft of stuff. Then on play through 2 (or 3 from some games where you need to unlock crazy hard mode) the punishment begins :) I will usually play super hard for the challenge and for trophies/achievements and just to see if I can do it :)

GanglyMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By GanglyMonster

normal for story based games, very hard for action based games

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#83  Edited By Sin4profit

i guess normal, sometimes one back from the "insane" difficulty. if i know what i'm getting into i may play on the hardest difficulty and lately im wondering if i should just play games on the easiest setting, for heavy story driven games, and blow through for the story since it's the gameplay that seems to drag for me in these games.

Mr_JPeps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Mr_JPeps

Normal. Thats the way devlopers intend for you to play it first time through.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#85  Edited By Sooty

Depends on the game, I really enjoy Dead Space on the harder modes although I'm playing it on normal now just to get through it as a story refresher. 

I picked hard on Persona 3: Portable and it's kicking my ass, quite annoying at times tbh, yet very rewarding. 

So really, I generally pick either the hardest or second hardest mode.

Deeveeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Deeveeus

I usually go Normal, thats the way the developer meant it to be played. If it is a game I know to be easy though (IE Ratchet and Clank), I go to hard. 

In the odd case, if it's Devil May Cry 3 or Bayonetta style game, I go to easy, I suuuuuck at those (GOW I play in normal and hard though, Ninja Gaiden Sigma I did as well)

striderno9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#87  Edited By striderno9

I pretty much always choose Normal, but if I am playing the game just to check out the story I play it on easy. I did that for Mass Effect 1 (where the combat was meh) and I did it for Dante's Inferno. 

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#88  Edited By Sambambo
@CitizenKane
Normal, or whatever the default might be.
This.
Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#89  Edited By Jayzilla

always normal first. if the game warrants a second or 3rd play-through, then i will up the difficulty. i ONLY ever play hard the first time through IF there are in-game unlockables. I don't do it for achievement points because they bore me.

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By jasta

Always normal for the first playthrough.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#91  Edited By spazmaster666

It depends on the game. Some games are meant to replayed (i.e. Bayonetta) so for those games I usually start with Normal and then move on to Hard and Very Hard, etc. Some games also have difficulty achievements, so for those games I usually start out at the hardest difficulty possible.

Avatar image for chocolaterhinovampire
chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Normal

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Pinworm45

If there's 4 tiers, (easy, medium, hard, insane), I choose 3 (hard). 

If there's 3, I choose the hardest.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By DrPockets000

Action games and shooters I go Hard, RPGs I go Easy because I play those games for the story, not to get challenged.

Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Fajita_Jim

The hardest. If I waste my time to beat it on anything less, I feel like I need to go back and beat it on a harder level to get the 'real experience' anyway, so going straight to the hardest just saves time and makes me feel more badass when I do finish the game.

Edit: Except Civ games. I've only beat a Civ game on Deity once. Holy shit.

audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By audiosnag

Hard usually unless I'm just renting/borrowing or want to get through it quickly.
Or if it's a Ninja Gaiden game and I don't have a bunch of extra controllers to replace the ones I'll inevitably throw at a wall.

Seroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#97  Edited By Seroth

Normal. 

There was a period in my life when I would do Hard. But I guess I got over it...or realize I sucked at video games. :P

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Djeffers03

Normal or Easy. Depends on the genre im playing, if I play the genre a lot then normal.

EmuLeader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By EmuLeader

Normal: Never played the genre/ style of game before. 
Hard: Any genre I am familiar with. 
Hardest: Only if I know harder ones unlock and am familiar with the franchise (DMC always has about 3 to 4 unlockable difficulties).  I also will if it is a second playthrough where I can continue a character (such as New Game +) .

Hairy_Fish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Hairy_Fish

Challenge is my thing, so hard. But if it's a genre I'm not used to I'll go normal.