• 106 results
Avatar image for jdizzlefoshizzle
jdizzlefoshizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Which game genre do you most want to have a revival (474 votes)

Character Action Games 10%
3D fighting games 2%
3D platformers 14%
Arcade-y (non simulation) sports games 10%
Peripheral-based rhythm games 1%
Turn based RPGs 21%
skateboarding/snowboarding/inline skating etc (SSX, Tony Hawk, Jet set) 12%
Schmups 2%
All right, but where's my new Burnout game? 15%
Other 14%

Just played the new Team Ninja demo and, as much as I kinda like bloodborne/souls games, I've been feeling kind of bummed that the few developers making good beat em ups/character action games seem to feel compelled to make souls clones (ska studios, team ninja for example). I mean, platinum games is great, but I still wish I had more Devil May Cry style action in my life. With that in mind, what genre of game do you wish had a bit of a resurgence, a la the great 2D fighting game revival of the late 2000s.

• 
Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was torn between 3D platformers and shmups. Went with the former because shmups never really went away. Some interesting indie shmups have come out the past couple of years.

I loved me the shit out of Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank and Sly Cooper during the PS2 era. The 'new' Ratchet & Clank looks pretty good, but it's really just more of the same. Same with the Sly sequel late PS3. I would really like to see someone make the next big thing. Do something more with it than make another collect-a-thon.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I miss NBA Street. I'll take an NBA Street HD.

konig_kei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RTS. Not stuff like C&C though more like World In Conflict and Ground Control.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would like to see a modern interpretation of a brawler\beat em up.

Firepaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Real Time Strategy, please!

dudeglove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

aw c'mon, no love for the likes of Elite Beat Agents or OTO?

Avatar image for jdizzlefoshizzle
jdizzlefoshizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeglove: I specified peripheral based rhythm games because with recent releases like the Amplitude reboot, Crypt of the Necrodancer, and LOUD on planet x I feel like rhythm games are still going strong. But also, yah would totally love a new Elite Beat Agents.

Lost_Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: You said what I came in here to say.

Other than that I would be pleased as punch if survival horror games in the vein of early Resident Evils and Silent hills had a minor resurgence, tank controls and all. The last few years of horror games that leave you absolutely defenseless have been very hit or miss with me. We also haven't seen an NBA Street in about eight years, I'd gladly take another one of those too.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Japanese developed racing games. Past examples:

• Tokyo Xtreme Racer (One of my favorite series of all time. Part racing game part RPG)
  • Enthusia (A simulation leaning racing game with a pretty neat and unique set of gameplay systems)
  • Sega GT (The first game to challenge Gran Turismo and in my mind gave it a very serious run for its money)
  • Auto modellista (Cool cell shaded arcadey racing game with alot of style)
  • Ridge Racer (Its a damn travesty that ridge racer wasn't the first game I played on PS4 or XBONE)
  • R: Racing Evolution (an offshoot of Ridge Racer except I would describe it as ace combat but with racing cars)
  • Driving Emotion Type S (A racing game developed by squaresoft)
  • Wangan Midnight (an offshoot of TXR but based on a manga also the property is the source of my username, there is also a arcade game called Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune that has never come to consoles but that would be cool if it did...)
  • Initial D (The console ports of the arcade racer are really fun)
  • Road Trip/ChoroQ/Penny Racers (Road Trip is an open world racing/rpg game where you are a sentient car trying to win enough races to become president)
Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lost_remnant: Yeah I think you can do lot of brawlers these days.

an_ancient

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By an_ancient

Other:

1. City Builders like the Sierra ones: Pharaoh, Zeus, Caesar, Emperor
  2. God Games: Black & White 1 (VR just seems built for this!)

Arcade sports game like Tony Hawk that are good and have a great license soundtrack would also be cool, but I think that genre might not be dead.

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SCI-FI/ACTION RACERS

Stuff like F-Zero and (more importantly) Extreme-G are things I want back.

More recent games like Blur (r.i.p. Bizarre) make my heart hurt (in a good way) but no one plays them anymore...

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

I miss Zelda ripoffs ...

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By liquiddragon

@undefined: I'm with you. I'm always looking for the next character action game. I'm really sad I'll never get to play Bayonetta 2.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 21

The thing is that Turn-Based RPGs and 3D platformers are already undergoing a revival... If you had asked me a year or two back I would have picked them, but now Yooka-Laylee is coming out, the new Shadowrun games have come out, etc, so I don't really think the question applies to them.

I'd love to see 3D fighting games come back, we've still got Tekken 7 coming out but not much else. I'd love to see a new Virtua Fighter so I could suck at it again.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ezekiel

Gritty, over the top John Woo style third person shooters. There hasn't been one since Max Payne 3, and, unfortunately, Rockstar is probably done with that series. I recently watched the highest quality transfers of Hard Boiled and The Killer, which added to my lust.

I'd also like more time attack arcade games, like Crazy Taxi and Jet Set Radio. But not those games specifically, because I'm pretty sure Sega would fail.

Also, action-adventure games that don't try to be pseudo-RPGs. Shadow of the Colossus didn't need unlockables and statistics and all that boring crap.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Fredchuckdave

RTS and JRPG

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was tempted to go for turn-based RPGs, but playing Ratchet and Clank recently made me realize just how much I miss 3D platformers. I'm a sucker for good art/character design, and 3D platformers always had that in spades.

Cav829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

Space flight sims.

X-Wing, TIE Fighter, Wing Commander, Descent Freespace, Independence War: this was one of the defining genres of PC gaming in the 90s. I'd argue the genre produced four to five of the best games ever made. Unfortunately, the genre all but died around the turn of the century due to a shifting focus toward console gaming, the financial state of the companies behind the genre's biggest names, and a number of other factors. Occasionally, we get some okay but not great efforts like Strike Suit Zero, but for the most part the genre is represented today by traders like the X series. And quite frankly, I've never had any interest whatsoever in getting into Elite: Dangerous. That game is just not what I'm looking for.

I'm hoping No Man's Sky scratches a bit of that itch, as we're now going on fifteen to twenty years without the genre producing anything like the run it had in the 90s through early 2000s. Honestly, the closest thing I've played recently to what I've wanted from that genre is Rebel Galaxy.

Seeric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

I went with 3D platformers. I was considering voting for turn-based RPG's, but they never really died down if you include indie games and, if anything, are continuing to rise with developers trying new ways to make the combat more interesting. I miss 3D platformers from the PS1 and PS2 eras because the environments usually got really weird and creative and levels frequently felt open and packed with secrets.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

• I sure love my turn-based RPGs. Wasteland 2 was a breath of fresh air.
  • Another Burnout-type game would be killer
  • True tactical shooters a la the first 3 Rainbow Six games
  • A return to classic-style survival horror a la the first 3 Resident Evil games
TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

3D fighters. Or at least Virtua Fighter 6 dammit!

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

I'm kind of interested in what a good arcadey snowboarding/skateboarding game would look like in this era. We have Tony Hawk Pro Skater 5, but, seriously, come on, and SSX hasn't been dormant for too long, but these games were either terrible or didn't match up to earlier versions.

Also, where's Burnout Takedown 2?

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would like to see more 2D Japanese RPG's that aren't made using RPG maker, or those that take influence from FFVIII / X.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Between Bravely Second, and the upcoming Persona 5, and Shin Megami Tensei 4 if (or whatever they end up calling it) I'm actually doing alright on Turn based strategy games.

I love sports games, and I've liked the indie sports things like sports friends, but I want a new blitz. Or even better, bring back Mega man Soccer!

JasonMasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I went with Other. I suppose the I would have to pick first person dungeon crawlers (more like legend of grimrock).

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Could use some RTS games ya know.

Avatar image for excitable_misunderstood_genius
Excitable_Misunderstood_Genius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Desert Strike but with loot drops.

That genre.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 74

#30 fisk0  Moderator

Other: C&C style RTS games and first-person-party-based-dungeon-crawlers. 8-bit Armies is my favorite game of the year so far, but I'd love to see more serious takes on the genre we got in the late 90's with Dark Reign and stuff like that.

There have been a few first person dungeon crawlers in the past few years, but I'd love for them to step out of the realm of generic fantasy worlds and explore different territories.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3D platformers for sure. I miss Banjo, Ratchet, Sly, Jak, etc.

With Ratchet and Yooka Laylee though, I feel like we might have a revival soon

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By cloudymusic

Shmups and arcade-style games in general. Not everything needs to have a 20-hour campaign, permanent upgrades, and XP meters; sometimes it's fun to learn to master a relatively short, challenging, mechanically-tight game. Volgarr the Viking was actually a pretty nice take on what an arcade action game might look like today.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Rafaelfc

A good feature complete, non-dlc or microtransactions dependant game would suffice for me. Regardless of genre.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By Justin258

Turn-based JRPG's. We're not exactly short on those, but it seems like the vast majority of them are either small indie titles or 3DS games. That's fine, but it would be cool to see a huge $60 JRPG on consoles and PC.

Persona 5 is coming out eventually, so that's one thing, but that's not exactly what I'm looking for. Don't get me wrong, I love Persona 4 a whole hell of a lot, and Persona 3, and I'm really anticipating Persona 5, but those aren't really good old fashioned adventures around some crazy weird fantasy land (or sci-fi land, I'll take a sci-fi JRPG). Final Fantasy XV isn't turn-based. Dragon Quest XI is in development, but it hasn't been announced for the West and I don't know if it will be. DQ7 and 8 are coming out here, but those are both on 3DS.

@rafaelfc said:

A good feature complete, non-dlc or microtransactions dependant game would suffice for me. Regardless of genre.

I have nothing against meaningful expansions but... yes. Stop trying to sell me armor, weapons, and other gear in some fucking marketplace. Put it in a corner in the game somewhere, where I have to find it, or have it as a quest reward. We won't really see that again because businesses make money selling that stuff, but come on.

Alternatively, do both? That's not my ideal compromise but I'd be OK if I could find the weapon in the game, but some other lazy guy could just buy it. That's better than only having something available as DLC.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There just aren't enough puzzle platf- *yanked off stage*

Nah, I'd have to go with either arcadey sports or "realistic" (i.e., Skate) skateboarding. NBA Street in particular needs a revival, and I wouldn't say nay to a new Blitz: The League, although I know it'll never happen.

A new Myst-like adventure game would go down smooth as well. I'm talking all-out pre-rendered teleport-clicking with a touch of FMV, not "walking sim with puzzles", not that there's anything wrong with those.

blade_r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Platformers. The newest Ratchet and Clank even further made me realize how much I want these kind of games to regain popularity. How about a new Spyro, Jak and Daxter, Crash?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I picked other what I really want the most is AAA PC exclusives games like we use to get back in the day mostly a FPS that pushes PC gaming tech and gameplay with a great SP campaign and MP mode with dedicated servers a server browser a anticheat system and mod support.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RTS needs to be in the poll!

I just want there to be some that aren't MOBAS.

Maybe I will look at that 8-bit armies game but I would really love a genre resurgence.

hawkinson76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

I need music games on my PC. I'm willing to let go of the hundred plus tracks I purchased on 360, but I'm not spending another dime on console music game DLC

Zefpunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whatever genre MediEvil is considered. Please just give me a new MediEvil.

DanishingAct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A new skate title. God, I miss skate.

CcFfBb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted for Turn Based RPG. I like those games generally, and then when I play one, I really like them. I would like to try Blue Dragon again someday.

megabattimus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even though I don't care about it anymore, a new (good) AFL game would be great. Oh, and a game based on Formula E.

youeightit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really just want an HD remaster 2 pack of SSX Tricky and SSX 3.

LandHawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Campaign-driven space sims, ala Freespace/Wing Commander/Starlancer. That's why I was so excited for Star Citizen before it mutated into an MMO literally-everything simulator that will come out 4 years after we're all flying real spaceships.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'm a fan of a 3D platformer. Uka Laylee could be interesting and Mario hasn't stopped doing it well. Mario 3D World is a worthy successor to Galaxy and I don't understand why people think otherwise. The world could always use more colourful, polished, cartoony games.

There was a minute there when THPS5 was coming out that I was really excited for the idea of new Tony Hawk. THPS5 promptly squashed that dream.

tds418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

BURNOUT

I can't believe that series died after Paradise was so good.

nawl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By nawl

I'm gonna go with "games where you are a large machine/vehicle that blows things up." Plane, Helicopter, Mech, whatever.

I know there have been some recent PC mech games... but none of them really caught on. What if, instead of making "Destiny, but real life" (The Division), somebody made a big money "Destiny, but you're a 20 foot robot"? Think about it.

Edit:

Desert Strike but with loot drops.

That genre.

This guy gets it.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love how alone I am in this thread. Everything I like is unpopular.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

How about a Tomb Raider game more about level traversal and puzzles and less about weapons and gutting would-be rapiest with sharp objects? Huh, maybe we could dial it down a notch...