Which game have you been most disappointed by this year?

• 60 results
PananaBeel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The Beast Inside, by far. I keep seeing glowing reviews from this game, which makes me want to give it another try. But after like fifteen minutes (I wanted to quit after five) I stopped. The writing was atrocious. The beginning is soaked in exposition. I really hate when a game force-feeds me like that. It's okay in certain situations, but sounded unnatural. Maybe it was the snarky vibes I was getting from the protagonist. Major turn-off when I don't care about the character.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I resorted to restarting Sekiro and taking the 'other option'. I ended up having a much easier time with how that route wraps up.

Looking back at my reviews this year, I didn't get massively won over by F1 2019 and GRID. The former flubbed the Senna and Prost DLC. They should've celebrated the rivalry with more than a few laps at Suzuka and circuits they never raced at. I want the essence of both drivers in a full-blown historical museum piece.

As for the latter, it just felt slim on content. I feel like ToCA Race Driver 3 is the peak of Codemasters trying the motorsport smorgasbord. This pales in comparison and splits the track and vehicle selection so thin.

Let's throw Generation Zero into the mix as well. A big open-world with very little to do.

Avatar image for numberthirtyone
numberThirtyOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Any Tetris titles this year?

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

Pooch516

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bloodstained

I played on XBox One (which got patched after the PC and PS4, apparently) and hit the treasure chest bug that screws you out of advancing forwards.

On its own it was a totally fine Metroidvania, but it wasn't nearly enough to make me want to replay up to where I was. I also thought the items and souls management was clunky and slow as hell.

infinity_thor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

while not released this year, i only played it for the first time this year and that would be horizon zero dawn. no clue why that game is so hyped. combat sucks, story weak, the premise of robot animals/dinosaurs was overall disappointing (the disappointment when i realized what longnecks were), and the facial stuff was pretty terrible.

i don't play many new new games I feel like anymore but Pokemon Sword and Shield will inevitably take that slot. The dexit controversy among other issues has definitely changed it from an immediate buy to buy later. I'll still play it and enjoy it but I'm normally a Day 1 buyer of Pokemon.

Brakara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Trials Rising for me. I'm a huge Trials fan, but the progression in this game is just messed up, and I don't think I even bothered to get to the hard tracks. Runners up were Anthem and Ghost Recon Breakpoint for obvious reasons.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#58  Edited By BaneFireLord

Outer Worlds. I’m enjoying it still, but for something sold as a spiritual successor to Fallout New Vegas—my second favorite game of all time—it comes up lacking and the fact that it basically begs me to compare the two at every turn does it no favors. Much of the art direction and environment design feels sterile and surface level like a second-rate theme park and I feel very little in-game motivation to do what I’m being asked to do. “Unfreeze your fellow colonists” is magnitudes less compelling of a catalyst than “yo, this guy shot you in the head.” It’s not uniformly disappointing. The moment-to-moment writing’s largely enjoyable, the characters are great, and the combat is strong by the standards of the genre (though unfortunately lacking in the borderline immersive sim combat options of modern Fallout and Elder Scrolls games). But overall, it’s just not scratching the Fallout itch like I had hoped. That said, I am very interested to see what a next-gen sequel backed by Microsoft money would look like.

EDIT:

@thepanzini said:

<snip>

The only thing TOW does better than Bethesda/Bioware is its less buggy but the games enviorments are shoeboxes with little to no exploration, its easy to polish what you don't have.

After hearing further glowing impressions on the latest Bombcast, I largely agree with this. I feel like I'm going slightly crazy when the GB crew and other sites talk about how impressive it is that OW is so polished. Ignoring that OW has still been mad janky in my experience, when you take away the emergent systems and physics objects and the big sandbox (y'know, all those things that make Bethsoft games Bethsoft games), of course it's gonna be less messy. It's increasingly ridiculous how broken Bethsoft's stuff continues to be and they should at minimum try to get their shit together, but I'll be very disappointed if Starfield and TES VI address that by taking an OW approach and strip out damn near everything that makes Bethsoft games interesting.

Strathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

The Outer Worlds for me. Not the game's fault, it's a perfectly serviceable budget title, but it was hyped so hard and so universally that I was expecting so much more.

//Note//It probably would have been Anthem if I had any expectations for it in the first place. I did not.

MajorMitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 19

They Are Billions, easily. I had been really looking forward to that for a while, and the survival mode during the early access period sounded great. I held off until the full game came out eager to check out the campaign, but man... that campaign is just bad. It really took the wind out of my sails. The survival mode is still OK, but after 2 runs I didn't have any more interest in running that same loop again. Once you figure it out that's kind of it.

DMC5 and Bloodstained have also been disappointments for me so far, and Outer Worlds and/or Gears 5 may join them once I play more and my thoughts settle on them. I just started both of those.