Which game would you like to see get the "shot for shot" remake treatment?

• 61 results
liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

And by that I mean games like Crash Bandicoot N. Sane or Shadow of the Colossus that basically maintains the exact same gameplay and content as the original games but got the full visual makeover.

I'm kinda against this practice but thinking about some of my favorite games, I did come across a few I'd get super excited for:

Persona 3 - Just give me this in the Persona 5 engine and I will buy that shit. Don't touch the music though.

Silent Hill 2 - I played this not long ago but found it to be really scary and tremendously moving. It'd be amazing to see the town rendered in today's visual fidelity.

Burnout 3: Takedown - No one's ever going to convince me Paradise is better than Burnout 3. I don't even need this game to look better. Give it to me in any way EA.

Skoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Skoot

Metal Gear Solid 1-4+Peace Walker in the MGSV Fox Engine.

I'd honestly have also preferred this over Metal Gear Survive, but that's another discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a923fc7099e3
deactivated-5a923fc7099e3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dungeon Keeper.

CountPickles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Mass Effects.

Remake them and put them on switch.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

@liquiddragon: A P3 + P4 update for modern consoles/PC with both protagonists and the FES content for P3 and the Golden updates for P4 would be pretty damn amazing.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Halo 3

God damn, that game with Blur CGI.... MS please make it happen.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

I keep thinking about PS1 and PS2 era RPGs, but if they were full on remaking them, I don't think I'd want the original gameplay intact without some caveats - like the ability to save anywhere or some way to reduce/get rid of random encounters. If I was to see one get remade, even if it wasn't my favorite, Xenogears. That game deserves better graphics and a more modern audience and with Xenoblade kinda making a splash, it'd be cool.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By bybeach

Demon Souls. It's Dark Souls getting the re-master, right? But I would like to see it one more step, put on pc. I do not want it lost when the Sony Playstation does it's next itineration, again.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I would also instantly throw away another 100 hours of my life to replay P3 if it were remade in the P5 engine. Hell, I'd probably play through The Answer again if they did that. Not sure if I'd do that for 4 though, at least at this moment.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Zeik

@sparky_buzzsaw: Releasing a remake of Xenogears that doesn't bother to fix that second disc would be a crime against humanity.

Anyway, I'd probably say Shining Force 3. I'm pretty sure SEGA would just screw it up if they tried to "modernize" it, and it's one of the only games I can think of where the graphics are so bad that it actively prevents me from enjoying an otherwise good game. There's also the fact that 2/3 of the game never came to the west, so it would be win/win.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By Rebel_Scum

I'm not a big fan of remasters, remakes and what have you. I'd prefer new games as usually the older games are so good on their own that it really isn't warranted. Secret of Mana being a good recent example of a classic that didn't need to be re-done. It's nice the crash trilogy turned out good but the originals are still very playable.

In saying that though, keeping in the spirit of the thread, these games would be great:

Strike series: Seriously EA need to reboot this sucker, apart from Renegade Ops there's been nothing like it in the market and it sucks.

Twisted Metal 2: This would be great but it would need every nuance retained, the combat exactly as it was and the levels exactly as they were.

@liquiddragon said:

Burnout 3: Takedown - No one's ever going to convince me Paradise is better than Burnout 3.

You're right, it isn't. But Burnout 2 is better than 3 and paradise. The aftertouch mechanic in 3 slows down the game play too much imo. 2 had everything just right. Burnout was all about gaining boost constantly by driving on the opposite side of the road inbetween lanes and boosting through levels like a madman.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

My immediate thought was Vagrant Story, but that game kinda holds up shockingly well anyway and I think taking it out of the context of the original release would perhaps lessen the impact of some of the tricks they pull with the visuals in that game. Plus I kind of love the pixelated look of the textures etc.

Maybe Soul Reaver?

Maybe Otogi?

I still love the way those games look, I'm bad at this...

Maybe some of the Panzer Dragoon stuff? I always like the designs and the Moebius artwork and stuff, but those early games look pretty rough, it'd be cool to see it better realised, although I guess that's kind of what Orta was. I dunno that that style of game really plays anymore anyway...

Uh boy, I dunno. Maybe something weird and out of left field, like Jade Cocoon or Legend Of Legaia or Galleon or something.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I would love to play Shadow Man again with modern graphics.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Freedom Fighters. Republic Commando. Soul Reaver 1/2. TimeSplitters 2/3.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it was shot-for-shot specifically, probably FFIX would be at the top of the list. I love the way the game looks, but seeing all those locations and characters looking crisp would be a dream come true.

I'm also hoping the Spyro rumors are true, what with Spyro 3 being the first game I ever played beyond brief curiosity. Though, I get the feeling modern Spyro character models would rub me the wrong way, aka be hideous and anti-style like the stuff in the Crash remake.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I'd love to see a remake of Cryostasis. Such a good game, but also such a janky game.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jade Cocoon 2.
Metal Gear Solid 1
Rainbow Six Vegas 2
Final Fantasy 8

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By BoOzak

@skoot said:

Metal Gear Solid 1-4+Peace Walker in the MGSV Fox Engine.

I'd honestly have also preferred this over Metal Gear Survive, but that's another discussion.

I think it would have taken a lot more resources and money to make that happen, but i'm with you. (although I am enjoying Survive in spite of it barely resembling Metal Gear)

I'd really like to see the Metroid Prime Trilogy get remade for the Switch. I know Nintendo dont treat the Metroid franchise with as much care as Mario or Zelda (perhaps an understatement) but they have remade two of the games already so it wouldnt be unprecedented.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FrodoBaggins

Picking the easy option here but 100% ICO.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Silent Hill 1-4 + Shattered Memories.
MGS 1-4 + Peace Walker
Demon's Souls.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God Hand.

Karmosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know. P3 and P4 should, if they were ever to get remakes, update their dungeon-design to the same standard as P5. That's my opinion, and that's not what this kind of remake entails. If it were, I'd be more interested in a P2 remake, how unlikely that would even be.

But games that I would like to see get the SoTC and Crash treatment...

Devil May Cry 3 I guess.

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne would be great to have on the switch, but would not want Atlus to put a new waifu in there just for the sake of it, like they've done with every other remake/remaster they've released. That game also still looks good overall, and the kind of drab and minimalistic aesthetics it provides dosen't really need the Persona kind of flare.

Not that many old games that I feel should ONLY get a nicer coat of paint.

David

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deactivated-5a923fc7099e3: It's not Dungeon Keeper but you might be interested in War for the Overworld. It's basically a fan-made Dungeon Keeper 3.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#25  Edited By csl316

Parasite Eve. That game was thick with atmosphere, so seeing a snowy New York with modern technology would be fun to see. The gameplay doesn't need much changing, so it'd just be a matter of making it look better. No one really talks about it anymore but I remember a fair amount of buzz back then.

Vagrant Story and Soul Reaver were already mentioned, and those were my first choices! And that Fox Engine tease of MGS 3 being blown up into a full game.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By Justin258

Mega Man Zero 1-4. Leave the gameplay intact, same music but in much better quality, and do hand drawn 2D graphics for modern resolutions. I don't want to see a 3D side scrolling version. And put it on consoles/PC, NOT handhelds.

Pretty much the same thing for Metroid Prime 1.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@liquiddragon: Yeah, Silent Hill 2 was the first to come to mind...despite that last try at it...

Skoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boozak: Yeah, I'd like to see Metroid Prime Trilogy remade. I kinda get the feeling they might do it, leading up to the launch of Metroid Prime 4. The only way to play those games are currently on the Wii or Wii U.

I'm hoping to see all of the Zelda remasters that were brought to Wii U, like WindWaker HD and Twilight Princess HD, also make their way to the Switch.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everyone is saying Silent Hill 2, but honestly, that game still looks pretty good, so I'd say Silent Hill 1 is a much better candidate for a full makeover.

The first 4 Silent Hill games definitely need to be easier to get a hold of, though, even without a remake/remaster. I really believe that whenever a remake/remaster comes out, it should come with the original version. Many remasters end up changing things for the worse, and it sucks when you can't get hold of the original release anymore.

Kingdom Under Fire: Crusaders is a game that could be really impressive with modern graphics. A lot of old games that had high unit counts, big environments or other things that meant some graphical quality had to be sacrificed are great candidates.

Demon's Souls I don't think needs a full remake, just a little polish here and there. Some older From games would be good though. A Shadow Tower: Abyss or Kuon remaster/rerelease would be pretty good. Honestly, From could probably package together some of their older proto-souls games and I bet it would sell on pedigree alone.

Neurogia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Playing Super Mario Odyssey made me wish I was playing a remake of Super Mario 64 instead.

The Mushroom Kingdom at the end just wasn't enough, but it was a great start.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#31  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

If you aren't actually going to radically alter the contents of the game ala Resident Evil Remake or Final Fantasy VII Remake then just give me the original graphics running at a higher resolution and framerate. I'm not a child, I can deal with PS1 or PS2 era graphics, and I'm not going to spend $40 on a single game just because you remade the game from scratch for no reason. I've seen people complain that the upcoming PC/PS4 Devil May Cry HD Collection is "lazy", but 3 PS2 games for $30 total is a way better deal than trying to charge $40 for a remake of Shadow of the Colossus, especially when you can pick up the PS3 collection of SOTC and Ico for half of that. Preserve games as they originally existed updated to today's video standards, not to today's tech standards.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Ares42

Thinking about this the biggest issue I run into is that I can't think of games I loved in the past (that are old enough to warrant a graphical update) that I don't think would benefit from a gameplay overhaul. Like, I'd want to say games like GTA3 trilogy or Deus Ex or Syndicate or Quest for Glory or Warcraft 3 or WoW, but all of these could blatantly be improved with innovations that has been done with gameplay as well. It's easy to get nostalgic and think about how fun those games were back when you played them, but going back to actually play them now quickly reveals that it's not just graphics that has gotten better over the years.

mgalchemist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I came here to post Silent Hill 2; could you imagine Bluepoint doing to that game what they did for Shadow of the Colossus? It also could use it because I'm pretty sure that game isn't actually officially available anymore (other than buying second hand), and because of the way that game's visual and audio effects were designed specifically for the PS2, it really would need to be almost from scratch like SotC was (as we've learned from the numerous ports of SH2 that never worked quite as well). That game's visual design still holds up really well, but man, the idea of seeing it given a proper current gen makeover would be something special.

Shout out to all the people saying Persona 3, but if no gameplay changes are allowed for the sake of this discussion, than I'd have to disagree; that game needs Golden-style fixes to the mechanics, and maybe then some to make Tartarus a little more palatable. This is why I can't really say Persona 2 either as much as I firmly believe those games to be some of the most deserving of remakes--there needs to be serious overall to the mechanics, or at the bare minimum, random encounters need to go. SMT Nocturne would also be really nice, since I've never tried it, and would love it on switch, but again, could do without the random encounters.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you aren't actually going to radically alter the contents of the game ala Resident Evil Remake or Final Fantasy VII Remake then just give me the original graphics running at a higher resolution and framerate. I'm not a child, I can deal with PS1 or PS2 era graphics, and I'm not going to spend $40 on a single game just because you remade the game from scratch for no reason. I've seen people complain that the upcoming PC/PS4 Devil May Cry HD Collection is "lazy", but 3 PS2 games for $30 total is a way better deal than trying to charge $40 for a remake of Shadow of the Colossus, especially when you can pick up the PS3 collection of SOTC and Ico for half of that. Preserve games as they originally existed updated to today's video standards, not to today's tech standards.

I agree, but i'd like to point out that you can also get the DMC HD collection on PS3 for less than half of the asking price of the PS4/PC equivalent. And as far as I can tell it seems like the same game. (much like how they treated the RE4 PS3/PS4 version) So I can see why people would call Capcom lazy.

Also...

Loading Video...

(Monster Hunter World is my GOTY so far so Capcom can do all the lazy ports they want if it helps them make new good games)

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#35 fisk0  Moderator

The Wing Commander games. While I absolutely adore the art in Wing Commander 1 and 2, the 15 fps gameplay feels kinda rough today, especially since it's really hard to dial in the right speed and control sensitivity in DosBox.

KirkyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By KirkyX

KotOR II. An actually-finished version of the greatest story ever told in the Star Wars universe (yeah I like KotOR II a lot) with modern production values? I dunno if I’d survive the excitement long enough to actually play the game.

gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Silent Hill 2

Twisted Metal 1 or 3

Spyro the Dragon 1-3

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#38  Edited By BaneFireLord

Allowing for *some* mechanical changes, I'd go with Morrowind, with the combat and movement systems sufficiently modernized so that killing a single rat in the opening hours doesn't take 30 seconds of clicking and praying to RNJesus and walking anywhere doesn't take a dog's age. Skywind/Morroblivion don't really cut it, since a lot of Morrowind's systems don't lend themselves particularly well to the newer games' limitations (flight, for instance).

If we can't make any changes whatsoever apart from upgrading the visuals, prettied up remakes of Tony Hawk 1-4 on, say, the Switch would be pretty great.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

@boozak said:
@TechnoSyndrome said:

I agree, but i'd like to point out that you can also get the DMC HD collection on PS3 for less than half of the asking price of the PS4/PC equivalent. And as far as I can tell it seems like the same game. (much like how they treated the RE4 PS3/PS4 version) So I can see why people would call Capcom lazy.

Also...

Loading Video...

(Monster Hunter World is my GOTY so far so Capcom can do all the lazy ports they want if it helps them make new good games)

I'm getting the DMC HD Collection on PC so I'll never have to buy it again. Unlike console ports that are locked to certain resolutions and platforms I should just be able to play the DMC games on my PC for the rest of time at whatever resolution of the time I want it at. Having to go hook up my PS3 just so I can play a bit of DMC1 is a pain.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kirkyx said:

KotOR II. An actually-finished version of the greatest story ever told in the Star Wars universe (yeah I like KotOR II a lot) with modern production values? I dunno if I’d survive the excitement long enough to actually play the game.

I played KOTOR II for the first time a couple years ago. Having my first experience of that game be with the restored content mod was a fantastic way to play it. I can imagine it would have been a bummer at the time with all the all technical issues and obviously missing content, but having my first experience with the game be the most pristine version possible, I liked it a lot better than the first game. It's probably my favorite Obsidian game.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42  Edited By Onemanarmyy

Maybe Drakan? Flying around on a dragon is cool. Or Deus Ex? I guess there are quite some modern mods for that, but it would be nice to just have a modern version of that classic.

sweetz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All of the PS2-era Ace Combat games. I'd be happy to play them even just as an up-resed HD collection and not full graphical overhauls. The genre is all but dead, so I've been missing them.

Tomb Raider Anniversary, which of course is already a remake, but it was an interpretive remake that pretty much fixed all the gameplay problems with the original. It's still my favorite game in the series but it's now looking pretty dated. The new ones are nice, but I liked when Tomb Raider was a puzzle/environment manipulation game more than a shooter.

I was going to say Ocarina of Time, but there are definitely some things in that game that could stand to be tweaked a little. It doesn't need a complete gameplay overhaul, but they remake that, they should address some of the weaker elements.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ripelivejam

@liquiddragon: Burnout 3 Takedown da bes

Secret of Mana :( The luscious hand drawn 2d affair will always be in my dreams...

Dr_Unorthadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Future cop: LAPD

Goboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any of the games I'd thought I'd want remade have already been and I didn't buy a single one of them so I don't think creating more remakes is a great endeavor. If companies really want to bring their older catalogs back it's likely cheaper and safer bet financially to re-release the original. More new games would be a nicer way to go instead.

bDuder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By bDuder

I would love a bully remake

GordonDaniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Already mentioned were Burnout 3 (my personal favorite Burnout game) and Demon's Souls.

But my very first choice would have to be Panzer Dragoon Zwei just slightly followed by Panzer Dragoon Saga. These were two amazing games that are really difficult to enjoy today due to being rare/only available on the Saturn.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I would love to see STALKER remade and polished up. Don't change the gameplay, but make it look better w/less bugs.